Wii U Page 597

• Page

of 1414 First / Last

• Raiko101 26 Apr 2013 04:23:32 6,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, mine crashed too. Worked second time around though. Took around 20 minutes all together. I've just been testing the speeds. So far, so good. Monster Hunter got past the load up screen in about 3 seconds and took about 5 seconds to close down. The eShop was up in 5 seconds, down in 2 or 3. Same goes for Miiverse too. The Web Broswer doesn't appear to boot up any faster, though it was perfectly fine to begin with.

Edit - It appears to be much faster than that odd video Nintendo posted up a few weeks ago. It's a massive improvement. Anyways! It's time for bed. Hopefully the VC shows it's face tomorrow!

Edited by Raiko101 at 04:34:13 26-04-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JinTypeNoir 26 Apr 2013 07:22:28 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I was looking at a different forum's thread, which is posting pictures from Miiverse. Since you can now access the Miiverse from a PC and such, it seems its easier to post pictures online and I'm seeing a lot all over the 'net. And then it hit me.

One thing that I noticed from all the pictures is that, at this point in its launch, the Wii U actually has a good variety of good games when you take into account that no launch console has a truly excellent library until about a year or 2 into its life. The problem is that its library isn't very unique compared to the PS3 and 360, so if you were compare them with their massive libraries, its not a great comparison at all. Really, its only problem was that and its future, in terms of software, and securing it from now on, getting more when the PS4 and Nextbox are going to quite a bit stronger and 3rd parties don't seem to care.

So even though it launched as this kind of identity crisis Gamecube-like machine, maybe Nintendo realized quickly enough that they had made a huge mistake trying to compete on that level with Sony and Microsoft, and the reason they are so quiet is because they're trying to rebrand the Wii U as something else going into the future.

I've only played the Wii U at a friend's house, because I don't own one yet and nothing I played made me want yet, though its a fun enough machine. But when I see all those Miiverse shots and the community Nintendo is fostering, it makes me start wanting one. I wonder if this kind of word of mouth marketing is what Nintendo is going to try.
  • neilka 26 Apr 2013 08:17:39 16,539 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the only problems it has are its past and its future?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 26 April 2013 08:26:12
    Why did you need pictures to see that it has a decent line up? You're obviously more than familiar with words.
  • nickthegun 26 Apr 2013 08:26:29 61,348 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But the present is aweso.... no... wait...

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 26 April 2013 08:29:05
    Don't mock the WiiU. It just had a software update that makes it awesome.
  • neilka 26 Apr 2013 08:32:52 16,539 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can now turn it on, check the eShop to see if there's anything new, find there isn't, and turn it off again, all in half the time!

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• addyb 26 Apr 2013 08:42:47 1,322 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    You can now turn it on, check the eShop to see if there's anything new, find there isn't, and turn it off again, all in half the time!
    Lmao.

Better to get practice in now as we all be doing that with the PS4 and next box a month after they launch whilst we wait for the next space marine shooter to arrive.

In all seriousness I've really enjoyed the Wii U so far. Its been out 4 months and feel no different to how I did with my ps3 and 360. First year for both of those were sparse for games I wanted. During the same timeframe I've probably played the same amount of games on their respective systems.

But Nintendo are still annoyingly behind the times and its a constant thorn in your balls. That's why I need my PC/PS3/360/Vita/3DS/PC engine & Dreamcast to fall back on when Nintendo constantly try to get me down. Lol
  • roz123 26 Apr 2013 09:00:11 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glad people think the update is a big improvement, the slow load times have put me off using the console as much as I would like because it was too slow to have just a quick 2 min blast of mario or whatever on the gamepad.

The Rayman Legends free game was better then I expected, really good fun even just playing on the pad, will have to add a few ppl from EG to compare scores
  • binky Moderator 26 Apr 2013 09:12:34 9,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm surprised to hear people moaning about loads times actually. Flicking through menus - absolutely - but if all you want is a quick blast of a disc game then I still find it one of the fastest consoles to boot up and play a game.

Rayman challenges had me confused at first. I thought I was playing the demo again but with a score attached to start with. Highly disappointed. Then I found the challenges room.
  • addyb 26 Apr 2013 09:13:31 1,322 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Glad people think the update is a big improvement, the slow load times have put me off using the console as much as I would like because it was too slow to have just a quick 2 min blast of mario or whatever on the gamepad.

The Rayman Legends free game was better then I expected, really good fun even just playing on the pad, will have to add a few ppl from EG to compare scores
    Yeah boot to home screen is quicker and the games ive tried (besides Lego city) all launch a bit faster but quitting back to home is a vast improvement.  Same with switching between apps. Opening/Closing system settings is still slow. Only positive I can take from that is the fact that I havent had to go into it anyway beyond the initial setup when first purchased.

Big improvement though overall. I'd of liked folders for the home menu. Still the vita and 3DS have only just got this ability so only another 12 months or so to wait for that! Lol
  • addyb 26 Apr 2013 09:21:40 1,322 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I'm surprised to hear people moaning about loads times actually. Flicking through menus - absolutely - but if all you want is a quick blast of a disc game then I still find it one of the fastest consoles to boot up and play a game.

Rayman challenges had me confused at first. I thought I was playing the demo again but with a score attached to start with. Highly disappointed. Then I found the challenges room.
    I think its strange as well. When I've tested loading a disc game across my PC and other consoles the Wii U is faster. I also tested booting and launching trine 2 from my PC (via steam) and Wii U and again its faster.

Access to the eshop is fairly quick as well. Especially compared to the psn store. That seems to be dog slow these days since they gave it a makeover.

I've never had an issue really with performance or games library of the Wii U considering its only been out 4 months. I do have an issue with the stupid account system put in place and the frankly shocking omission of basic online features like instant messaging with notifications, voice chat and invites.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 09:25:01
    addyb wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Lmao.

Better to get practice in now as we all be doing that with the PS4 and next box a month after they launch whilst we wait for the next space marine shooter to arrive.

In all seriousness I've really enjoyed the Wii U so far. Its been out 4 months and feel no different to how I did with my ps3 and 360. First year for both of those were sparse for games I wanted. During the same timeframe I've probably played the same amount of games on their respective systems.

But Nintendo are still annoyingly behind the times and its a constant thorn in your balls. That's why I need my PC/PS3/360/Vita/3DS/PC engine & Dreamcast to fall back on when Nintendo constantly try to get me down. Lol
    If you think space marine games are that common then it's easy to see why you like the WiiU.

Lmfao. Lol.
  • addyb 26 Apr 2013 09:27:49 1,322 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Lmao.

If you think space marine games are that common then it's easy to see why you like the WiiU.

Lmfao. Lol.
    I love my space marine games :) I like a whole bunch of games across many platforms. I always have digs at everything I own. I'm a cheeky chappy. Lol
  • daz_john_smith 26 Apr 2013 09:48:55 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't know if this has been mentioned, there's now a system wide screen size adjustment option in the settings. It's not perfect since you can't adjust the horizontal and vertical seperately but it does helps mitigate the overscan issues.
  • JiveHound 26 Apr 2013 10:11:07 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Am I the only one that didn't get the update?

Does it make Pikmin come out sooner?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Armoured_Bear 26 Apr 2013 10:14:32 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Am I the only one that didn't get the update?

Does it make Pikmin come out sooner?
    Yes.
    Yes.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• JiveHound 26 Apr 2013 10:15:25 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooetcetra

• yegon 26 Apr 2013 10:32:09 5,416 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boot direct to Wii mode is a good inclusion.
  • AceGrace 26 Apr 2013 12:20:06 1,304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Exiting from Miiverse to the main screen on mine is pretty much instant now.

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• DFawkes 26 Apr 2013 12:37:12 24,097 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Installing after downloading is the key one for me. I'm patient enough to wait for a demo or game to download, but having to go back in and install it is a minor inconvenience I'd prefer to skip :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DuvaDan88 26 Apr 2013 13:45:03 543 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The update has made the console quicker now which is great but the fact they haven't announced when wiitv (unless i missed something) is coming is starting to annoy me it sounds like a cool feature but it just sits there doing nothing.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• RyanDS 26 Apr 2013 14:04:16 9,860 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    roz123 wrote:

Yeah boot to home screen is quicker and the games ive tried (besides Lego city) all launch a bit faster but quitting back to home is a vast improvement.  Same with switching between apps. Opening/Closing system settings is still slow. Only positive I can take from that is the fact that I havent had to go into it anyway beyond the initial setup when first purchased.

Big improvement though overall. I'd of liked folders for the home menu. Still the vita and 3DS have only just got this ability so only another 12 months or so to wait for that! Lol
    Why do you keep putting lots of love at the end of inane sentences?
  • JiveHound 26 Apr 2013 20:08:02 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Where's my friggin' update?!

Do you have to do something to start it off?

• addyb 26 Apr 2013 20:12:12 1,322 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Where's my friggin' update?!

Do you have to do something to start it off?
    Does it not activate if you go to the system update section of the settings menu?
  • Raiko101 26 Apr 2013 20:18:19 6,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hit the home button and hit the downloads button in the bottom right corner of the Gamepad screen. The downloads screen always has a tab for system updates, even when there aren't any available. This time, however, it should have noted the new update. Press it and it should start updating.

• JiveHound 26 Apr 2013 20:21:51 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers, I'll have a look.

Does anyone know how regularly they plan on updated VC?

A rerelease of the original Pikmin would have been ideal about now. Luigi's Mansion too come to think of it. A reasonable price and they would be great for raising awareness for the upcoming WiiU and current 3ds title.

Wasted opportunity otherwise.

• Raiko101 26 Apr 2013 20:30:24 6,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine they'll waste the opportunity. As for VC updates, i'm hoping it's a weekly thing. They've been lacking on the 3DS of late, but you do still normally get 2 - 3 a month. Hopefully they're a little more frequent on the Wii U.

• MARKIV 26 Apr 2013 21:02:15 84 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The standby download is abit confusing. Once you've chosen you game or demo to start downloading and then power off the light initially goes red. After about 1 minute will the light turn orange and then the download commence.
  • JiveHound 26 Apr 2013 21:06:47 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I have the update. I think I'll treat myself to Mario World, it's been a while.

• Page

of 1414 First / Last