Wii U Page 578

• Page

of 1362 First / Last

• Lukree 31 Mar 2013 16:46:34 160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shame that soon second screen apps for PS4 and/or Nextbox can copy WiiU controller functions? You have a regular controller and iPad/Android pad on your lap for additional controls?
  • binky Moderator 31 Mar 2013 17:30:20 9,623 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm surprised how comfy the gamepad is.
    One surprising omission from nintendoland seems to be the use of the nunchuck when playing games like mario chase. It's great running around a 3d environment with a dpad.
  • Gregolution 31 Mar 2013 17:46:57 3,247 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukree wrote:
    Shame that soon second screen apps for PS4 and/or Nextbox can copy WiiU controller functions? You have a regular controller and iPad/Android pad on your lap for additional controls?
    Never works unless every single console ships with one so no, you're wrong. If it's not guaranteed each console will have that control option, the games won't support it.
  • JiveHound 31 Mar 2013 17:54:20 2,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Whether anyone other than Nintendo fully utilises it is another matter.

Could be worse, even Microsoft don't know what to do with Kinect. If Kinect 2 is going to be any better it's going to take first party games to show the way. I am cynical, at least when Nintendo do something off the wall they have game mechanics in mind.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Gregolution 31 Mar 2013 19:01:59 3,247 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JiveHound

Exactly!
  • Raiko101 31 Mar 2013 19:58:20 6,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So it turns out that Unreal 4 can run on the Wii U, as well as the 360 and PS3.

Should make porting that ickle bit easier, should any publisher feel the need to.

Edited by Raiko101 at 19:58:51 31-03-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• RobTheBuilder 31 Mar 2013 20:11:11 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Raiko101 I thought that was in the other piece too.

I dislike his attitude though.
  • RyanDS 31 Mar 2013 20:13:10 9,354 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I assume what he meant was that they wouldn't support the WII u but that people would be free to port it if they put in the effort themselves.
  • Baleoce 31 Mar 2013 21:13:22 1,185 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Regardless, it would still be at best, a compromised version of the game. And the console needs an install base before any publisher would consider doing it. The only upside of that is it would allow third parties to create Wii U exclusives on that scalable engine should they wish to. But again, install base means there's currently not much incentive to.

Like I said earlier, only way to rectify that is to pump out the 1st party system sellers to get people actually *on* the platform first and foremost. Like now, while they're still the only new console on the market. Then worry about the rest afterwards, but that is an increasing problem the longer they leave it. Because the console consumer install base is going to be spread further than it has ever been come December.

Edited by Baleoce at 21:23:04 31-03-2013

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Progguitarist 31 Mar 2013 23:45:35 10,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm overwhelmed with the amount of demos on the eshop.
  • figaro7 1 Apr 2013 06:33:53 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Little inferno is strangely compelling isnt it, when i first started it i thought i had just wasted my money, but the more i played it the more i enjoyed it. Finding the combos is no easy feat and when you nail one youve been stuck on for a while its quite satisfying, not to mention the story and artwork is a bonus. Even the little item descriptions gave me a chuckle.
  • treegreen 1 Apr 2013 07:13:13 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Little inferno is strangely compelling isnt it
    Yeah, totally agree. Perfect sort of game for off screen play.
  • treegreen 1 Apr 2013 07:32:04 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, I think I gave Chasing Aurora a bit of a spray earlier but having spent six hours on it now, I'm finding it oddly intense. One of the harder games I've played actually.
  • JiveHound 1 Apr 2013 11:46:13 2,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Really intrigued by Little Inferno. Lack of trial is what's holding me back.

May just roll the dice when I'm done with a few games.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 12:20:51 22,938 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is Little Inferno? I've tried watching some trailers and it looks like a Sandbox type thing. Is there a mission or what? Not that I'd mind if it was just freeform fireplace incineration, just asking :)

Edited by DFawkes at 12:21:24 01-04-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• CharlieStCloud 1 Apr 2013 16:10:35 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What is Little Inferno? I've tried watching some trailers and it looks like a Sandbox type thing. Is there a mission or what? Not that I'd mind if it was just freeform fireplace incineration, just asking.
    Some games are best if you go into the whole thing 'blind'.

... Little Inferno is one of them.

Only maybe three hours long, depending on how clued up you are with the combinations however, the way the story is told (and ends, especially the end) is utterly wonderful.

Be nice to yourself. Go buy.
  • binky Moderator 2 Apr 2013 10:19:30 9,623 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I was going to wait for a price drop, but thanks to some trade-ins and a bonus at work I decided to treat the family (me) to one.

Yes. I'm a sucker.

Maannnn people weren't kidding about the initial system update. That took a LONG time, almost an hour I think I had it clocked at on a stable 10mb connection. Was a bit surprised, but I seem to remember the PS3's we had at work taking a fairly long time with updates too, so not sure how that compares.

The gamepad is ace. It feels like a toy and frankly I'm totally onboard with that. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable passing it around the room for games, unlike passing an iPad over for instance. (That makes more sense in my head than written down, but I'll stick with it).

I picked up the premium model with NintendoLand and grabbed a copy of Mario as well and both look lovely. Nintendo stuff in HD is vibrant and playful and put a big smile on my face. Zelda and Animal Crossing Sweet Days in particular looked beautiful and I can't wait to see those graphics in full titles.

My (almost) 3 year old loved watching mummy and daddy play the games on NintendoLand and wifey was really enjoying it too which makes for a happy me. Fun times all round.

Spent a lot of the time fiddling with the gamepad and miiverse, all very nicely integrated and I really hope they make "off tv play" a big feature for upcoming games as it's genuinely rather cool, especially as the signal just about reaches my bedroom and the kitchen \o/

I really hope Nintendo can turn this around as they have a great little console on their hands.

Edited by binky at 10:42:02 02-04-2013
  • nickthegun 2 Apr 2013 10:28:53 59,868 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you mean 'nintendo being nintendo' as 'leaving their home console to die' then, yeah, they are conforming to type.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• DFawkes 2 Apr 2013 10:32:13 22,938 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nintendo generally play a longer game, but they've usually shown more of their cards by now, so to speak. The only games off the top of my head I'm looking forward to are multi-platform, which is still fine as they're great looking games, but I would like them to tell us something. I'm not a huge Pikmin fan, Bayonetta 2 will be awesome but hardly a system seller for most and Wonderful 101 isn't the sort of thing that draws customers either.

I'll stop now before I start the cyclic discussion again, but I do recommend Lego City Undercover. I've had a proper go now and can honestly say it'd be my personal system seller, had I not already bought one. It reminds me a lot of Crackdown in many ways, which is the game that sold the 360 to me.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• binky Moderator 2 Apr 2013 10:41:50 9,623 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I shouldn't have ended that post with those questions really. I think I'll edit!

I was flicking through the thread for LCU last night. Seems to be a lot of love from those that have played it. Is it more GTA-lite than Lego game? I've never been particularly fussed with the lego games in all honesty.
  • Raiko101 2 Apr 2013 10:42:33 6,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The games are coming. It's just Nintendo wont rush them. No matter how bleak the situation. If this were EA or Ubisoft, we'd be drowned in sea of mediocre, rubbish or unfinished games by now and those looking on would have even more to rant about.

Would love a solid date for Game & Wario...

Edited by Raiko101 at 10:44:52 02-04-2013

• nickthegun 2 Apr 2013 10:45:01 59,868 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, much better to have no games than a few mediocre ones.

• Armoured_Bear 2 Apr 2013 10:45:26 11,008 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    binky wrote:
    So I was going to wait for a price drop, but thanks to some trade-ins and a bonus at work I decided to treat the family (me) to one.

Yes. I'm a sucker.

Maannnn people weren't kidding about the initial system update. That took a LONG time, almost an hour I think I had it clocked at on a stable 10mb connection. Was a bit surprised, but I seem to remember the PS3's we had at work taking a fairly long time with updates too, so not sure how that compares.

The gamepad is ace. It feels like a toy and frankly I'm totally onboard with that. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable passing it around the room for games, unlike passing an iPad over for instance. (That makes more sense in my head than written down, but I'll stick with it).

I picked up the premium model with NintendoLand and grabbed a copy of Mario as well and both look lovely. Nintendo stuff in HD is vibrant and playful and put a big smile on my face. Zelda and Animal Crossing Sweet Days in particular looked beautiful and I can't wait to see those graphics in full titles.

My (almost) 3 year old loved watching mummy and daddy play the games on NintendoLand and wifey was really enjoying it too which makes for a happy me. Fun times all round.

Spent a lot of the time fiddling with the gamepad and miiverse, all very nicely integrated and I really hope they make "off tv play" a big feature for upcoming games as it's genuinely rather cool, especially as the signal just about reaches my bedroom and the kitchen \o/

I really hope Nintendo can turn this around as they have a great little console on their hands.
    Too little too late, or just Nintendo being Nintendo?
    Glad you like it so far.
    I think it's too early to say, Nintendo have made a massive fuck up by not making it closer to the next 2 from Sony and MS as far as 3rd party support goes.
    However, if they manage to get some big titles out by the end of the year along with a price drop then that may improve. Judging by the Wii I doubt it though.

Personally, it's worth it for me just to play the games from EAD Tokyo, Retro and Monolithsoft alone so I'm not that bothered about the lack of 3rd party support.
    It will massively affect sales though, Nintendo never learn.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Cappy 2 Apr 2013 10:46:01 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nintendo publish plenty of rubbish, the amount of time they make you wait for it doesn't make much difference.
  • figaro7 2 Apr 2013 11:14:00 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My playtime with little inferno was around 7 hours, if your cluey you'll rip through it in no time as mentioned above, i hope toki tori 2 makes its way down under this week as im still waiting for lego city and nfs most wanted to turn up in the mail. Any news on when runner 2 is being released in PAL regions?

On the wii, i changed my region settings to UK and managed to download wiiware games that werent released in Australia, would this work on the wii u?
  • Raiko101 2 Apr 2013 11:15:00 6,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun So you might buy a Wii U if had a few more mediocre games?

• Raiko101 2 Apr 2013 11:18:53 6,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @figaro7 I bought Runner 2 on the 360 a few weeks back. It's great. Wish i'd waited for the Wii U version though. That d-pad is awful and although using the analog stick works fine, it's still slower than rolling your thumb over a d-pad, which would make things a fair bit easier.

• nickthegun 2 Apr 2013 11:20:14 59,868 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldnt but other people might. Mediocre rubbish has sold consoles since time began, but thats not really the point is it? The point is that its such a stockholm syndrome thing to say.

Also, Ubi and EA dont really put out mediocre rubbish, to be fair. I think if you asked Wii U owners 'would you like to see EA suppor the console?' im fairly sure most of them would say 'yes'.

• Progguitarist 2 Apr 2013 11:25:51 10,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @binky Hope the honeymoon period lasts longer than it did with us.
  • binky Moderator 2 Apr 2013 11:29:55 9,623 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Progguitarist I saw your post the other day, didn't last long at all did it!

I am a sucker for Mario though, and my boy is really interested in watching me play so by playing little and often I think it'll last.
  • Page

of 1362 First / Last