• Roddles 28 Mar 2013 18:42:23 1,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Back to you in the studio Gary.
  • Baleoce 29 Mar 2013 18:30:19 1,185 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Source: The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

This week at the Game Developers Conference, Epic Games took their usual opportunity to show off the latest developments in their whiz-bang Unreal graphics technology. In addition to the shooty/demonic demos in futuristic/fantasy settings, one of the most touted features of the engine was that it can scale from next-gen consoles like the PlayStation 4 all the way to mobile devices and even web browsers. Which raises the question: If the Unreal Engine 4 is so scalable, can it run on Nintendo's still-new Wii U?

The Wii U uses hardware that's more or less as powerful as the current Xbox 360 or PS3. It's certainly still more powerful than your average mobile device. Epic has been unclear about the Wii U's support for UE4 in the past, with Epic co-founder Mark Rein telling Videogamer that Epic doesn't intend to bring the engine to Wii U, but that "if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could."

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

"Nothing controversial, guys," he jokingly chided.

So, it sounds like for all intents and purposes, the Wii U won't be getting the Unreal Engine 4, and therefore won't get games made using the engine. Coupled with the news from earlier this week that the Wii U won't run EA's new Frostbite 3 engine (which runs Battlefield 4 as well as the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect games), it's looking like Nintendo's console is going to have an increasingly difficult time keeping up with the competition.
    Owch, nice and subtle. But fair enough. It's logical.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• ResidentKnievel 29 Mar 2013 18:35:49 6,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Baleoce wrote:

"Hahaha no."
    lol

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Sid-Nice 30 Mar 2013 02:39:52 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We knew over a year ago that the Unreal Engine 4 wasn't coming to the Wii U; Epic and Mark Rein stipulated that and it also states on their website that UE4 can be optimised to work on mobile phones etc. Rein did state “The truth is, if a developer wanted to take an Unreal Engine game and put it on Wii U, they could."

Epic did try to dictate the requirements for the next generation of consoles and it has worked; considering Durango and the PS4 are almost identical. Again Nintendo have decided not to compete with Microsoft and Sony and opt for innovation (Gimmick) over power. I have resigned my Wii U software expectations as a first party and independent studio titles; I still feel the Wii U could be the console of choice for the small developer.

NNID Sid-Nice

• RobTheBuilder 30 Mar 2013 03:04:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Sid-Nice rumoured to be near identical, we don't know for sure yet!
  • Sid-Nice 30 Mar 2013 11:13:18 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rumoured yes, but the information (rumours) came from sources using the Orbis and Durango development kits; there was supposedly pressure put on Sony to increase the available RAM from the rumoured 4GB to 8GB and in typical Microsoft fashion “Anything you can do” the finalised new Xbox could be a more powerful machine than the PS4. We’ll find out in a few weeks’ time.

The Wii U is basically in no man’s land any developers who want to create Wii U titles will either use UE3 or try and optimise the UE4 or just not bother. The Wii U third party lifespan will depend on how long publishers/developers continue working on PS3 and Xbox 360 titles. Mark Rein could be laughing on the other side of his face if the true next generation consoles fail to make an impact.

How can Digital Foundry do an “Inside the PS4” article when no-one has seen the outside? The “See the Unreal Engine 4 running on the PS4” article is a pile of shit too; I want to see the PS4, show me the console Sony. If George Foreman wins his legal battle win Sony (copyright infringement) over the George Foreman Grill, Sony could end up bankrupt.

NNID Sid-Nice

• binky Moderator 30 Mar 2013 17:44:28 9,431 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decided to buck the trend and get one. Had loads of credit so it paid for 2/3 of it.
    First impressions when turned on... Omg wtf the update! Took 50 mins on a decent connection, was rather surprised even after the amount of abuse in here.

Wifey and my little boy both seem to be enjoying nintendoland and mario, so that's a win in my book.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2013 18:06:39 6,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At the start maybe, but some cracking looking games use unreal. Think Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite as two notable mentions.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 18:06:58 30-03-2013
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2013 18:07:32 9,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Unreal Engine 4 not coming to Wii U. O, what a loss! No dark, dingy and grey shooters on the Wii U. What a loss!

Developers lacking creativity and art style use Unreal Engine.
    Yeah, bioshock infinite proves this!

/little yellow rolly eyes man face thing.
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2013 18:13:35 9,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh dear....
  • addyb 30 Mar 2013 18:14:58 1,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Oh dear....
    Lol
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2013 18:19:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wii demographic just want to dance socially in an explosion of low res colour!1
  • addyb 30 Mar 2013 18:26:36 1,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was just laughing at the "oh dear" post. I have nothing to say about UE3. I just enjoy games whether they are built with that or not. Jesus wept I wouldn't start arguing about it.
  • mrpon 30 Mar 2013 18:30:14 28,427 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    /little yellow rolly eyes man face thing.
    Racist

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2013 18:31:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Those types of games get made because games with similar art direction and style have been successful in the past.

The existence of Bioshock and Dishonored proves that the engine is a creative tool with a much wider scope, and that there isn't a correlation between the type of games and the engine.
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2013 18:33:42 9,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    You can 'oh dear' and 'lol' all you like but the bottom line is if you were being objective and listed the top 10 visually striking and artistic games in the past 10 years, 9 wouldn't be driven by Unreal Engine. I am thinking of games like Heavy Rain, Okami, Shadow Of The Colossus, Mario Galaxy, Ni No Kuni, Zelda etc.

Unreal Engine drives dumb ass shooters.
    Ok, since this dumb non-debate must continue

Shadow Complex
    Dishonoured
    Bioshock Infinite
    Shadows of the Damned
    X com Enemy Unknown
    Devil May Cry
    Mass Effect Trilogy
    Gears of War
    Enslaved
    Lollipop Chainsaw

All used the UE. All have very distinctive design, yes, some are brown, yes some have guns...but I think you're being very single minded.
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2013 18:34:45 43,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    At the start maybe, but some cracking looking games use unreal. Think Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite as two notable mentions.
    This. The list of UE3-powered games is massive. No way are they all "dark, grey shooters".

• Kostabi 30 Mar 2013 18:35:23 4,874 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do people continually confuse game engine with artistic direction?

After all Mirror's Edge, Gears and Alice couldn't really be more different.
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2013 18:36:54 43,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And besides, this is UE4 we're talking about, not 3. The colour palette, amongst other things, can only get bigger with this new engine. It's a big improvement, foolish to write it off yet.

• Syrette 30 Mar 2013 18:39:50 43,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Dumb" shooters. That's a pretty subjective term.

And again, the Wii U has UE3. Not 4, which you appear to know for a fact will power samey-looking shooters.

• addyb 30 Mar 2013 18:40:12 1,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    There is a correlation between Unreal Engine and dumb shooters. See this list.

Games such as Devil May Cry look worse and plasticy now using Unreal Engine than previous episodes in the series.
    I'm sensing you don't like shooters? :)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2013 18:40:26 6,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think what you're noticing is more to do with creativity stifled by the cost of development and suits at the top dictating the types of games developers are making.
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2013 18:40:58 9,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So would I be off the mark if I were to mention the name Higgins?
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2013 18:41:41 43,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Games such as Devil May Cry look worse and plasticy now using Unreal Engine than previous episodes in the series.
    In my opinion DmC looks better than Devil May Cry 4, which obviously looks better than the PS2 Devil May Crys.

I'm not talking about art direction here.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2013 18:42:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got the same ranty style. Welcome back, if so.
  • Page

of 1345 First / Last