Wii U Page 574

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 27 Mar 2013 17:16:12 43,227 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CaptainKerbal wrote:
    IMO the initial sales for the next Sony/MS consoles are going to be similarly dire.
    Again we see this. It doesn't make the WiiU a success if the Durango and the PS4 join it as failures.

Especially given that the WiiU's failure is current, immediate and demonstrable, and on such a scale that the other two might actually learn something from it and adjust their model accordingly.

By having some launch games, for instance. Or some studios developing games for their console.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• addyb 27 Mar 2013 17:34:20 1,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    So launch is now 4-5 months?

I'm pretty certain both the PS3 and 360 had a stack of games by month 5, whilst the Wii U has nothing that comes close to Oblivion in terms getting gamer's attention.
    Oblivion was the only worthwhile game early in the 360's life. PS3 took ages before that had anything. I can only remember heavenly sword as a much hyped game early on. My memory is hazy though.

Edited by addyb at 17:37:07 27-03-2013
  • LeoliansBro 27 Mar 2013 17:36:30 43,227 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Both the 360 and the PS3 had a healthy release schedule though.

• addyb 27 Mar 2013 17:37:29 1,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Both the 360 and the PS3 had a healthy release schedule though.
    Yeah definitely.
  • CaptainKerbal 27 Mar 2013 17:53:45 357 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They had a healthy release schedule, but that was followed by a lot of delays with stuff like Uncharted well behind the US release. Granted the Nintendo schedule is thin, but at this point in its life the 360 had Oblivion out and the only other releases this year had been full auto and the outfit. After that it was just ghost recon til q4! Ps3 had heavenly sword in the first year and eventually Uncharted, but otherwise it was nothing you couldnt get on the 360, in terms of worth playing, whilst its dated online system was made to look worse month by month by xbox live.

My point about the Wii U comparing to future releases was more that this may be the "norm" now for hardware of this price, and lets face it, the other two consoles are likely going to be close or in excess of the Wii U pricing. They will undoubtedly offer a higher spec of hardware but ultimately,price wise, its going to be similar or worse.

Its almost like some kind of catch 22 nightmare where companies develop for the lowest denominators, which are now ps3 and 360, which keeps them alive, and developing for anything else is so expensive they cannot get a return when they look at the potential audience on a new platform, so they stay on the current gen, keeping them alive and growing the audience for that generation.....

IMO Wii U won't get mass market appeal for a year, if ever, but the other console's will have the same problem. Then in 2-3 years another generation launches and, assuming there is some kind of economic steadying or improvements, actually does well and finishes off the previous two generations. Also stand by for Sony trying to sell the idea that Holiday 2013 was referring to Japan and not the USA.... my prediction :)
  • LeoliansBro 27 Mar 2013 17:56:51 43,227 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The WiiU would have been fine if it had released in the same launch window as the 360 and the PS3. The unique problem here is that it has a very brief period to build up a userbase before everyone takes their money to the next gen, and it appears that this opportunity has been blown and the gamble in releasing out-of-cycle hasn't paid off.

The question is what do Nintendo do next.

• Sid-Nice 27 Mar 2013 18:04:04 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MrSemprini Did the developer stipulate that the game was NFSMWU or that he was a Criterion employee? As NFSMWU is joint first in the all-time Wii U boxed games ratings; if NFSMWU is the game in question then just imagine what Criterion could have done with a half decent SDK?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Cappy 27 Mar 2013 18:22:30 11,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

I'm pretty certain both the PS3 and 360 had a stack of games by month 5, whilst the Wii U has nothing that comes close to Oblivion in terms getting gamer's attention.
    Oblivion was the only worthwhile game early in the 360's life. PS3 took ages before that had anything. I can only remember heavenly sword as a much hyped game early on. My memory is hazy though.
    Oblivion came out one month after the PS3 launched.

If we're now calling 4-5 months launch, it would be moving the goalposts not to call that a PS3 launch title.
  • MrSemprini 27 Mar 2013 18:23:10 9,372 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    @MrSemprini Did the developer stipulate that the game was NFSMWU or that he was a Criterion employee? As NFSMWU is joint first in the all-time Wii U boxed games ratings; if NFSMWU is the game in question then just imagine what Criterion could have done with a half decent SDK?
    He claims to be a developer on the game (NFSMWU). Pinches of salt apply but I've no reason to doubt him. There's another person on the same forum who used to work for Headstrong Games who are meant to be pretty close to Nintendo. Just after the U came out he buggered off to Sony as he got so utterly fed up with them throughout the Wii & DS years. He was similarly less than complimentary about the Wii U SDK.

Edited by MrSemprini at 18:23:48 27-03-2013
  • addyb 27 Mar 2013 18:31:05 1,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

Oblivion came out one month after the PS3 launched.

If we're now calling 4-5 months launch, it would be moving the goalposts not to call that a PS3 launch title.
    Apologies. I did say my memory was hazy
  • scoobysi 27 Mar 2013 19:54:30 882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The WiiU would have been fine if it had released in the same launch window as the 360 and the PS3. The unique problem here is that it has a very brief period to build up a userbase before everyone takes their money to the next gen, and it appears that this opportunity has been blown and the gamble in releasing out-of-cycle hasn't paid off.

The launch of the PS4 and 720 doesn't mean an end to Wii U sales. Once Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. appear many who have bought the other consoles will also buy a Wii U. I don't think Nintendo ever expected to be number 1 or even 2.

It's an HD console and by the nature of the games that Nintendo releases I don't think it'll look that dated. Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube still holds up well.

Not sure why people can't just accept that the Wii U sales won't pick up until a big hitter arrives. Consider it a failure when the big hitters don't sell or don't even appear. Until then change the record (fat chance).
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 19:57:57
    They can't really go down from where they are. This time there will be no casual market to tide them over between first party titles.
  • Chopsen 27 Mar 2013 20:05:08 15,722 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Deep price cut before xmas, then one casual/party game that gets airtime on mainstream media and some more zelda/mario bollocks for the diehards.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Mar 2013 20:18:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @scoobysi kind of agree, but if they don't act soon they risk it losing so much momentum that retailers won't be there to support it when those big games arrive.
  • Syrette 27 Mar 2013 20:45:47 43,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm looking forward to playing Super Mario Galaxy 4 on my PS4.

• addyb 27 Mar 2013 20:54:10 1,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    How about Fzero vs Wipeout hyper drive edition.
  • javvyman 27 Mar 2013 20:59:00 707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mario vs Son... Oh wait.
  • Cappy 27 Mar 2013 21:27:13 11,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It really depends on whether Wii sports and motion control, plus the entire Wii >title< line of releases were the main drivers behind Wii adoption.

It that's the case, Nintendo have a serious problem, the pad combined combined with Nintendo Land isn't striking the same chord. Nintendo already played the New Super Mario Brothers ace, it seems to be one of those games that sells to an established audience rather than driving console adoption itself, I suspect the same is true of Mario Kart.

The other line of attack is to impress, that's always been a great way of driving adoption, I don't think the Wii U can manage it though, there are now no shortage of gamers sick of games being stuck at the PS3 and 360 level. Nintendo offering another five years of the same isn't going to impress many.

The Gamecube is an illustration of how well the usual Nintendo releases drive console sales by themselves, so it's all on that pad and Nintendo coming up with some gaming application that catches the public imagination.
  • Raiko101 27 Mar 2013 21:29:31 6,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Syrette Would make it a worthwhile purchase.:-P

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Nemesis 27 Mar 2013 21:48:24 18,594 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fucking hell, you lot weren't joking about the slow system update.

/goes back to reading book
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 22:13:09
    Cappy wrote:

The other line of attack is to impress, that's always been a great way of driving adoption, I don't think the Wii U can manage it though, there are now no shortage of gamers sick of games being stuck at the PS3 and 360 level. Nintendo offering another five years of the same isn't going to impress many.

Stuck at 360 level graphics or tired of the types of game as a whole? If we just get more shooty baldy men games next gen , it is not going to achieve anything. i'm going to be pissed off and i think a few others will be too.

Saying that i cannot wait till the proper next gen, currently playing tomb raider (which is throughly funfudging fantastic and a great swan song for the current gen) and just thinking of the extra shiny next gen can bring - at the same time the production of such game is achievable on the Wii U - if nintendo can get some developers making games as good looking and feel as great as tomb raider, uncharted, batman AA and dead space then i think they will still be a part of the game, i think there is enough there to still entice people. I don't think its an entirely impossible sistuation on nintendo part.

As it is, sony in particular are making all the right noises about a good breadth of games. And with the decline of online gaming (less players playing online) i think we see a return to ps2 level of gaming goodness. Depends whether games need to sell gazillions to break even.
  • Gambit1977 27 Mar 2013 22:20:01 9,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why is shooting bad baldy men considered done to death, but jumping on tortoises with one direction in mind, not?
  • addyb 27 Mar 2013 22:27:44 1,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Why is shooting bad baldy men considered done to death, but jumping on tortoises with one direction in mind, not?
    To be fair most games are done to death now. Not much originality left anymore. Well not for me personally anyway.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 27 Mar 2013 22:28:47 7,767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    treegreen wrote:
    If (and that's a big if) this is a genuine quote from a lead dev, I find it utterly bizarre. They hate their own game? It's a perfectly functioning upgraded port? Unless they are saying the original game is awful, which it isn't.
    As I say, take the quote with as much salt as you like, but the same person has said during development that the whole experience was something less than joyful. The end result may be a good game, the journey to get there appears to have been somewhat vexing.
    Also he's not a lead dev. But he definitely is a dev on various EA titles.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 27 Mar 2013 22:30:28 7,767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Definitely NFSMWU
  • Sid-Nice 27 Mar 2013 23:12:42 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Mario Galaxy 5 will be out by the time you buy a PS4.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2013 23:51:43 10,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Because on home consoles there has been 5-6 games in 15 years jumping on tortoises and 5-6 a year of shooty shooty.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2013 23:53:48 10,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    whinge all you like about how often you see Mario, the Mario platform games arent done to death at all.

• Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2013 23:53:50 10,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    whinge all you like about how often you see Mario, the Mario platform games arent done to death at all.

• Syrette 27 Mar 2013 23:57:16 43,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Sid-Nice

Really? Are you suggesting Nintendo are planning to put 3 Galaxy sequels out within the space of 12 months?

• Page

of 1346 First / Last