Wii U Page 573

• Page

of 1372 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2013 10:55:10 11,399 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Hope everyone enjoys NFS while they can, there is unlikely to be a follow up any time soon. From elsewhere on the internets, a developer speaks (apply salt accordingly):

In theory the Wii U could've been fine, if they'd supported it properly. but they totally and utterly dropped the ball on it by rushing it out before even their own studios were ready.

Anyone working on the console could've told you 9 months before it launched that it wasn't ready. they had no tools, no kit, huge problems with the SDK and hardware (that aren't much better even now).

The game we just made for it is the 2nd highest rated boxed game of all time on the console, and even we hate it. we've boxed up all our kit and have no intention of making any more games for it.
    That doesn't sound good, how could they screw up the SDK, tools etc. so badly?
    What were they doing during all the Wii Years, counting money?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MrSemprini 27 Mar 2013 10:55:17 9,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    demo of GUI Speed Improvement in April Update
    Is this, in any way, acceptable? The sooner Google and Nintendo cuddle up together, the better. The former can do the OS, online and hardware side and the latter can concentrate on doing what it does best, trickling out minor iterations of well worn franchises.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 10:56:54 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Building the 3DS. Then the circle pad pro. Then the 3DS XL.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• treegreen 27 Mar 2013 10:57:17 108 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If (and that's a big if) this is a genuine quote from a lead dev, I find it utterly bizarre. They hate their own game? It's a perfectly functioning upgraded port? Unless they are saying the original game is awful, which it isn't.

That said I do believe that will be their last game for the system. I doubt we'll see any EA games on a Nintendo system ever again really.
  • DFawkes 27 Mar 2013 11:01:23 23,435 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Is this, in any way, acceptable?
    Yes, of course it is. If it killed children then it might not be, but taking a few seconds to go back to the menu is fine. It's worth noting that, for some reason, that video shows the current Wii U as about 5 seconds slower than I've ever experiences. 10 seconds is still faster than it takes me to get up and take the disc out, so it actually works out fine :)

The things that are slow for me are stuff like booting up Miiverse, which loads for while, then loads some more, then a third time. It loves loading! That's the one that grates with me most. But quitting to the menu isn't far off the time my 360 took.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Rodpad 27 Mar 2013 11:04:53 1,990 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's mental they're doing an official video, basically highlighting how shit things were, and unacceptable they still are.

A simple "load times are better" in a changelog would have sufficed. Releasing a video like some kind of big announcement trailer is mental.

Nintendo have utterly lost the plot.

Edited by Roddles at 11:05:04 27-03-2013
  • MrSemprini 27 Mar 2013 11:05:07 9,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    If (and that's a big if) this is a genuine quote from a lead dev, I find it utterly bizarre. They hate their own game? It's a perfectly functioning upgraded port? Unless they are saying the original game is awful, which it isn't.
    As I say, take the quote with as much salt as you like, but the same person has said during development that the whole experience was something less than joyful. The end result may be a good game, the journey to get there appears to have been somewhat vexing.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 11:10:44
    It's true that Nintendo did rush the console out but if they waited any later there would be so much hype for the 'next gen' that people would lose interest.

If you buy a Nintendo console, you buy it for the Nintendo developed games and you're in it for the long haul.

Edited by Montgomery_Flange at 11:11:04 27-03-2013
  • MrSemprini 27 Mar 2013 11:13:21 9,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Is this, in any way, acceptable?
    Yes, of course it is.
    Compare that to any reasonably specced Android device, or IOS if you're that way inclined, and the experience people are used to is a long way from what Nintendo are offering on their flagship console.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 11:16:45 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    It's mental they're doing an official video, basically highlighting how shit things were, and unacceptable they still are.

A simple "load times are better" in a changelog would have sufficed. Releasing a video like some kind of big announcement trailer is mental.

Some guy in the comments hit the nail on the head with the Chris Rock analogy.

'Look! We made the loading times better'

'What do you want? A cookie? You werent suppose to have long load times in the first place, you low-expectation-having motherfuckers'

• LeoliansBro 27 Mar 2013 11:17:23 44,568 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Roddles wrote:

Aye that was my first thought as well. Screams 'nothing to announce' to me.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 27 Mar 2013 11:19:01 23,435 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    It does seem strange doing a video about it, especially (as I've said) where you extend the old video by a good 5 seconds or so to make it look better. I agree that it'd have been better just to say nothing.

5 seconds is certainly acceptable though, it's about the same as the other consoles, or at least the ones I've used.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RobTheBuilder 27 Mar 2013 11:19:11 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sounds like the opposite of Nintendo. They usually make development easy and that enables devs to get more out of less powerful hardware.
  • Gambit1977 27 Mar 2013 11:24:00 10,321 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Microsoft are currently in talks with an ad agency to make a 'teaser' saying the new console will have some games on it.
  • midi82 27 Mar 2013 11:41:00 673 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone tried Lego City yet? My copy was shipped yesterday so I should be trying it tonight.

Any first impressions?
  • yupyup 27 Mar 2013 11:50:04 3,682 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Further research into the Vitality sensor for the Wii.

Hands Off Our Penises

• munki83 27 Mar 2013 12:22:32 1,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there anything good on the wii u shop that I can play while waiting for my copy of Zombie u to arrive.
  • Gregolution 27 Mar 2013 12:42:58 3,582 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Is there anything good on the wii u shop that I can play while waiting for my copy of Zombie u to arrive.
    The monster hunter demo. That's it. Oh... And the rayman demo

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• DFawkes 27 Mar 2013 12:47:05 23,435 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zen Pinball 2 is a popular one. Lots of trials to give a go.

• munki83 27 Mar 2013 13:01:52 1,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've already got monster hunter for my 3ds...think I'll just start mario galaxy 2 again
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 13:02:03
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    And all the different coloured versions.
  • Progguitarist 27 Mar 2013 14:14:03 10,489 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not surprised that BF4 isn't coming. Pretty much every 3rd party release isn't being released. It's really not looking good at all.
  • MoGamer2006 27 Mar 2013 15:25:57 975 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get all the WiiULOL about the speed that games returns the main menu... even without this new update, it doesn't seem much worse than the lengthy menu refresh my PS3 goes through when I exit a game?
  • Progguitarist 27 Mar 2013 15:50:42 10,489 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah but the PS3 is 7/8 years old.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 15:51:21 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Sony didnt make a video trumpeting how they suck slightly less than before.

Edited by nickthegun at 17:08:34 27-03-2013

• Raiko101 27 Mar 2013 16:19:12 6,465 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @munki83 Little Inferno is currently half price, I think. Not so much a game, but more of an experience. I thought it was good.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• CaptainKerbal 27 Mar 2013 17:06:47 392 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought the range of Wii U games,at launch and now, is actually pretty strong compared to previous console launches like the Ps3 and 360. 360 had, for basically the first year, PGR3, COD 2. Ghost Recon and Elder Scrolls. PS3 launch had....very little other than the visually stunning Motor Storm (or at least it was at the US launch, less so by the time the UK launch rolled by 5 months later.....).

Wii U had Monster Hunter, Lego City, Mario, Zombi U plus some acceptable ports. It is not a great position but its far from the disaster scenario. Sales wise, not great numbers, but they are being compared to the current gen which, specs aside, are just cheaper with a massive library. IMO the initial sales for the next Sony/MS consoles are going to be similarly dire.
  • mrpon 27 Mar 2013 17:13:19 29,243 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Roddles wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally slowed it down in preparation to "fix" it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Cappy 27 Mar 2013 17:15:26 12,034 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So launch is now 4-5 months?

I'm pretty certain both the PS3 and 360 had a stack of games by month 5, whilst the Wii U has nothing that comes close to Oblivion in terms getting gamer's attention.

Edited by Cappy at 17:16:18 27-03-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2013 17:15:53 11,399 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Roddles wrote:

Totally disagree, it shows how huge an improvement one of two updates will make, demonstrating to current owners how their experience will really improve rather that some vague promise on a PR sheet.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 1372 First / Last