Wii U Page 566

• Page

of 1211 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 08:52:05 41,854 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    I've never understood why gamers are so obsessed with sales? I could kind of understand if people were just concerned about the financial stability of their favourite companies, but it seems to have nothing to do with that at all.
    Fewer unit sales = smaller userbase = lower potential profits for developers = fewer games being developed for the console.

Nintendo has always been the exception to this though, because of the emphasis on first party titles which meant you could be a confident early adopter. With that in mind the lack of announcements for first party titles is a bit ominous. I still truly believe Nintendo could drop this as an expensive misstep (rather than throw good money after bad) and concentrate on something on par with the proposed next gen in 24 months.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Luckyjim 25 Mar 2013 09:14:43 2,831 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    scuffpuppies wrote:
    @treegreen
    I'm a Monster Hunter virgin too, and to be fair, the game doesn't explain things very well. It's as though Capcom only expected to sell MH3U to fans of the series and not newbies.

My advice is to stay in the first town and run through the quests. They themselves are the tutorials. Complete those before sailing out to new locations.

Experiment with item combinations, and play around with all the different weapon types until you find the one you're comfortable with. You start with a selection of all the weapons to choose from, albeit fairly weak.

I like to alternate between the twin blades and the axe-slice, depending on what I'm hunting. Experimenting with traps will be useful too.

If you're up for some co-op, send me an invite. I've been meeting up with several chaps from Eurogamer recently.

Edit:...and yes, it is a hard game.
    In MH there's a lot to learn, and it certainly can be tough, but persevere; once it clicks it's truly brilliant.

I would add that playing online's a great way to learn. One of the best things about the series is how nice the community can be. I've quite often had high level hunters come in and help with monsters. I've also learned most of the games quirks from others.

Edited by Luckyjim at 09:15:35 25-03-2013
  • scuffpuppies 25 Mar 2013 10:38:06 203 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Luckyjim
    The WiiU community in general are a nice bunch of people. Miiverse is nothing like PSN or XBL. The majority of gamer's I've come across are 30+, and polite guys and gals.

Refreshing change not to game with 14 year old racist, homophobic wankers.

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 10:39:26 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is weird that seemingly everyone who has bought the wii u are middle aged men.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• zoolophage 25 Mar 2013 10:52:32 947 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thinking of getting a new Wii U game in preparation for the Easter weekend. Some choices:

Lego City. Just started Lego Lord of the Rings on Wii and I quite like it. Wonder if another lego game will be too samey?

Monster Hunter. I have the Wii version but have never really gotten into it. Will the new version make me feel any differently?

Need for Speed. Got this for free on pc due to the Sim City debacle. Doesn't run that well really and I much prefer sofa gaming for this type of game. Bit expensive for a port too.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 10:54:24 83,810 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like some good reasons to spend 300 on a new console there.
  • treegreen 25 Mar 2013 11:00:32 103 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    treegreen wrote:
    I've never understood why gamers are so obsessed with sales? I could kind of understand if people were just concerned about the financial stability of their favourite companies, but it seems to have nothing to do with that at all.
    Fewer unit sales = smaller userbase = lower potential profits for developers = fewer games being developed for the console.

Nintendo has always been the exception to this though, because of the emphasis on first party titles which meant you could be a confident early adopter. With that in mind the lack of announcements for first party titles is a bit ominous. I still truly believe Nintendo could drop this as an expensive misstep (rather than throw good money after bad) and concentrate on something on par with the proposed next gen in 24 months.
    It's possible of course, but I think if they did that Nintendo really would die very soon.

They'd instantly alienate over 3 million loyal customers and all consumers would be extremely wary picking up any of their products in the future. It'd be an insanely moronic business decision.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:01:17 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hasnt that last part happened already?

He totally called it

• treegreen 25 Mar 2013 11:08:11 103 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I've gotten good value out of the Wii U so far.
  • Aretak 25 Mar 2013 11:12:48 10,329 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anybody in the entire history of the internet not been happy with their purchase after dropping money on something that's been critically panned? I always enjoy visiting the official threads and forums of shite games just after release, as they're inevitably full of people who've bought it saying how it's not so bad and they're enjoying it.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:19:48 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I felt like driving over my vita with my car after I bought it, such was its spectacular shitness.

I like it now, though.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:20:03 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still hate my 3DS, mind.

He totally called it

• neilka 25 Mar 2013 11:20:15 14,938 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Thinking of getting a new Wii U game in preparation for the Easter weekend. Some choices:

Lego City. Just started Lego Lord of the Rings on Wii and I quite like it. Wonder if another lego game will be too samey?

Monster Hunter. I have the Wii version but have never really gotten into it. Will the new version make me feel any differently?

Need for Speed. Got this for free on pc due to the Sim City debacle. Doesn't run that well really and I much prefer sofa gaming for this type of game. Bit expensive for a port too.
    That's not so much "some choices" as "all the choices".
  • neilka 25 Mar 2013 11:22:45 14,938 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a Wii U and I'm indifferent to it. It's been quietly gathering dust in the months since I finished Mario.

Might give Lego a go and keep the curtains drawn.
  • treegreen 25 Mar 2013 11:23:40 103 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Has anybody in the entire history of the internet not been happy with their purchase after dropping money on something that's been critically panned? I always enjoy visiting the official threads and forums of shite games just after release, as they're inevitably full of people who've bought it saying how it's not so bad and they're enjoying it.
    But the Wii U hasn't been critically panned. It now has several games out, which have been well received by critics. On top of that I have an entire Wii catalogue to play through. Although I understand others aren't in the same boat as me there.

This is where I think some gamers take sales figures as a way to determine whether something is good or not. The same logic would have Justin Bieber as the greatest musician in the world.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 11:23:49 41,854 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You see it time and time again - people defend expensive purchases irrespective of quality and value because they don't want to appear as idiots.

That doesn't mean the WiiU is automatically a waste of money. Although the lack of developer support and sales figures do suggest that.

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 11:31:19 83,810 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You see it time and time again - people defend expensive purchases irrespective of quality and value because they don't want to appear as idiots.
    I think it's less conscious than that. I think you just focus heavily on the positives if you've made a purchase, sometimes to a slightly deluded extent.
  • imamazed 25 Mar 2013 11:33:45 5,450 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I think it's less conscious than that. I think you just focus heavily on the positives if you've made a purchase, sometimes to a slightly deluded extent.
    This. You can see this tunred up to eleven in the vita thread.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 11:36:05 41,854 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah there's probably more truth to that.

• ResidentKnievel 25 Mar 2013 11:37:05 5,867 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    that puts things in perspective, perhaps too much perspective

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Kay 25 Mar 2013 11:37:30 17,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Conversely, people tend to overly focus on the negatives of something if they have no intention of ever buying it.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:41:20 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    But the Wii U hasn't been critically panned.
    Yeah, it has. It may have half a dozen well received games now but the console itself has had, at its most generous, a lukewarm response.

He totally called it

• imamazed 25 Mar 2013 11:42:09 5,450 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel Well played sir
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:44:11 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Conversely, people tend to overly focus on the negatives of something if they have no intention of ever buying it.
    I think point one leads to point two. I *want* to buy it. I genuinely do but I absolutely refuse to go through this again.

Once bitten, shame on nintendo. Thrice plus one bitten, shame on me.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 11:51:17 41,854 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    There's a lot of truth to this as well.

But it still stands that this is the first Nintendo console I will not buy, and there are several reasons for that.

Not least because I bought the Wii before ever owning a console made by another company, and the potential and variety on the 360 really opened my eyes to what I was missing and what we should be expecting from a console. And that was five years ago.

• Youthist 25 Mar 2013 11:51:56 9,896 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So anyone that is claiming that they enjoy their Wii U purchase is deluding themselves in order to not look like an idiot? Is that where we are?

And are these people claiming this a group of people that have never actually owned one - maybe played it for 10 minutes in Game or something at best and made their well reasoned judgement?

FWIW it seems to be fairly good fun as far as I am concerned. And that will do for me. I will take fun.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Sid-Nice 25 Mar 2013 11:54:05 15,810 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You have been brainwashed, Americanised and are no longer a real gamer, I really feel for you and can understand your bitterness.

Edit: This was in reference to LeoliansBro's post.

Edited by Sid-Nice at 11:56:00 25-03-2013

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 11:54:34 55,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems unlikely, but whatever.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 11:56:16 41,854 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    You have been brainwashed, Americanised and are no longer a real gamer, I really feel for you and can understand your bitterness.

Edit: This was in reference to LeoliansBro's post.
    Please tell me this is tongue-in-cheek?

• DFawkes 25 Mar 2013 11:57:59 22,040 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    So anyone that is claiming that they enjoy their Wii U purchase is deluding themselves in order to not look like an idiot? Is that where we are?
    I don't think those comments were meant to be painting everyone with the same brush. Of course there will be people (like me) that genuinely love it. Nowt wrong with that, there's lots to enjoy :)

But I have to admit you do usually see people in threads like these that are clearly trying to justify the purchase to themselves.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Page

of 1211 First / Last