Wii U Page 565

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• Sid-Nice 23 Mar 2013 11:22:29 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The HMV price drop is due to the fact that the company is in administration; HMV have fantastic deals on Xbox 360 and PS3 bundles too. The last time I visited my local HMV they Had the PS3 Slim 12GB and the Wonder Book Starter pack for £119.99 also the Wonder Book starter pack was available for £19.99 a saving of £49.99 on the RRP.

The Wii U deals in HMV last week were the Pro Controller £32, BLOPS II £32 and ZombiU £32; not much of a discount when Grainger Games are selling the same software for £29.99. The consensus in the front page article from the Eurogamer financial analyst experts; is Nintendo and the Wii U are fucked and HMV are making shelf space. Classing a company in administration as a retailer is comical.

I can’t see Nintendo turning the Wii U situation around in the UK either; already there are distribution problems (shortages of software) how do you expect to sell a console when you can’t even supply the software? The digital version of Need for Speed Most Wanted U is available on the eShop at £44.99 yet I want the physical media and I won’t pay more than £30 for a port.

With 3 decent games launching within a week you would think Nintendo would try and promote the Wii U; if I wasn’t a gamer and visited internet gaming sites, then I wouldn’t have a clue that the Wii U console existed. People are referring the Wii U situation to the DreamCast and GameCube, yet this feels more like the Atari Jaguar situation to me.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Tekkirai 23 Mar 2013 16:37:38 104 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I sincerely have the feeling that not even Nintendo's own titles can save it this time. Very few people care about Pikmin or even know what it is and the power of Mario has been fading due to overuse. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong. Sofar though, Wii U has been a disaster and Iwata will need to take responsibility if things haven't turned around by the end of the year. And it'll only get worse once the other 2 launch.
  • DFawkes 23 Mar 2013 16:54:47 22,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's the same as the 3DS, it's the second Christmas that'll be key. By that time, the 3DS had the kind of games people were asking for, at a better price & they started marketing properly. If they don't mamange the same, I think it'd be reasonable to stick it in the "notable failure" column.

Thankfully it's already out of fail territory, but still way, way off it being successful enough to entice third-party support (without investing the money themselves). Heck, what with their corporate restructuring to integrate the handheld section with the home console one, it wouldn't surprise me if, should Wii U sales not improve, all games start getting made for both, with the Wii U one just being the HD one.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• beastmaster 23 Mar 2013 17:14:32 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of people didn't know the 3DS was a 3D DS for a long time. I do think that it's going to be a difficult sell for Nintendo.

As for the second Xmas, it'll have a LOT of competition from new and old consoles alike.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• scoobysi 23 Mar 2013 17:29:55 886 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo won't spend a wedge on advertising until some big hitting titles are ready. The Wii U won't sell until some big hitting titles are ready, it's not rocket science. As long as the above happens before the next PS and XBOX then I don't think the Wii U will do too bad. After Xmas and it'll be too late I fear.

£199 is a great deal at HMV but I think they're a unique case, I doubt many other retailers will follow with quite such a discount. If I didn't already have one I'd be straight in there. More sales can only be a good thing though.

Edited by scoobysi at 17:30:36 23-03-2013
  • albo 23 Mar 2013 20:31:10 2 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was lucky enough to grab one at HMV with the offer, and I'm very happy with it.

It's been so fun playing around with it for 8 hours straight that i almost feel guilty buying it at such a cheap price for £200 but I guess Nintendo already made their money selling to HMV who are really the ones in trouble (If that's how it even works exactly, I'm not sure)

Maybe it's just that feeling like when I first played the wii, I loved it but after a few months it kind of wore off and few games actually used the motion capabilities well in the following years. It's tough to tell, but one thing i know is that it has potential, especially the gamepad.

Although the likes of Nintendo land aren't the most attractive games to for those who play mostly solo, but I've had a blast playing it solo for the last few hours and i was initially thinking of selling it straight away but I've now changed my mind. I think if people actually took the risk and bought and played it for a few hours, most would change their mind, especially if they played with friends or family. The console has some great and not so great features from the little of managed to experience so far, but overall I'm happy.

It really is a first part Nintendo quality experience and i haven't even had a chance to play Zombiu yet so i hope things turn around for them. They just need to sort out their marketing to send the right messages about the Wii U and it's great games to the public because these games are good enough to justify a purchase imo and if people would give it a chance to try it out, they would get enjoy it. It's hard to understand why few 360/ps3 owners don't care much for current and near future wii u software because it it worth caring about. The likes of zombiu, nintendoland, pikmin 3, lego city, wonderful 101 and many more are unique to the wii u, and certainly make it much more appetising because you rarely get games like them on other consoles. Sony seem to be more open to publishing interesting and creative games but none have a stronger exclusive lineup than the Wii U's I feel.
  • Sid-Nice 23 Mar 2013 20:48:45 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The HMV deal is £50 less than the wholesale price so a £199.99 RRP from Nintendo would be highly unlikely at this moment in time. Retailers can still make money on a £249.99 price point; which is still too expensive for the Wii U to sell in large numbers.

The Wii U has a (BOM) of $230 (£150) and Nintendo only make a loss through the R&D costs. If the Wii U had £199.99 RRP then retailers could sell the console for as little as £179.99 (Wii Territory) this price would guarantee interest from the casual market and Mario Kart U sales would recoup any losses.

NNID Sid-Nice

• CaptainKerbal 24 Mar 2013 08:31:17 362 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I see the HMV deal as a sign that when/if they are rescued and continue to trade in a form that is still under the brand, they'll abandon gaming.

Gaming takes up a small space instore but, especially with the doomed trade in idea and the prices they offered, must have contributed an out of proportion loss - I remember such crazy deals as £35 trade in for the first Medal of Honor against Black Ops when they were selling Medal of Honor for £30, and other similar prices that meant you could just buy stuff cheap and make money from them.
  • beastmaster 24 Mar 2013 08:56:17 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am kind of tempted by this. However, with my current set of unplayed games, I'm not sure if I should get this as an 'investment'. By the time I've played through these, I suspect the official price to have dropped this level.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Tricky 24 Mar 2013 10:00:16 4,371 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HMV are ditching gaming - pretty sure I remember someone saying something to that effect during the recent restructuring. Plus they've closed some of their Gamerbase centres as part of the store closures.

Actually, I've found the article:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/future-of-video-games-at-hmv-in-doubt-as-it-decimates-team/0110983

Still, it meant I got the console plus two games for less than the basic version so I'm happy.
  • Sid-Nice 24 Mar 2013 12:35:51 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I rarely watch television and the majority of Wii U adds I've seen have been via YouTube; oddly enough I was watching Nick Jnr with my grandson and the Lego City ad was on twice in less than an hour, surprisingly the text accompanying the ad had 'Game around £50' and 'Console around £249.99'

The console on display was the black 32GB Wii U; has Nintendo unofficially reduced the Premium Wii U to £249.99 or was the £249.99 in reference to the Basic model?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 24 March 2013 14:47:08
    @Tekkirai I think a shake up is needed at Nintendo anyway. If what you say is true about Mario etc (which I think you are), maybe this will finally push them into trying new things. That's one thing I've always praised SEGA for. They may not always do well, but for the most part, they try new things a lot of the time.
  • addyb 24 Mar 2013 16:44:46 1,045 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite looking forward to next week now.

Lego city (Wii U) Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) & BioShock Infinite (PC)
  • malloc 24 Mar 2013 17:08:18 2,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tekkirai wrote:
    I sincerely have the feeling that not even Nintendo's own titles can save it this time. Very few people care about Pikmin or even know what it is and the power of Mario has been fading due to overuse. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong. Sofar though, Wii U has been a disaster and Iwata will need to take responsibility if things haven't turned around by the end of the year. And it'll only get worse once the other 2 launch.
    I agree about Mario-overuse and that Pikmin is too small a franchise, I was always a bit worried when they were leaning on this as their triple A launch title, it's one for the fans. That said the Wii did well not due to Mario, but to more novelty-esque games, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, that UbiSoft dancing game etc. The 3D mario games haven't been the system sellers the 2D games have.

The disaster will be when Nintendo have all the games out and it's not selling. At the moment it's justifiably not selling due to hardly having any games. In some respects when the other 2 release their consoles then it will feel that the next gen has properly started, at the moment Nintendo have launched, but very quietly, sort of getting their foot in the door so hopefully by the time MS and Sony launch Nintendo will have some games to actually compete.
  • malloc 24 Mar 2013 17:09:46 2,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    @Tekkirai I think a shake up is needed at Nintendo anyway. If what you say is true about Mario etc (which I think you are), maybe this will finally push them into trying new things. That's one thing I've always praised SEGA for. They may not always do well, but for the most part, they try new things a lot of the time.
    In fairness to Nintendo, it's that strategy that almost bankrupted Sega and you can hardly accuse Nintendo of not trying new things. They don't max out new technology, definitely, but they do push what can be done with current tech.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Mar 2013 18:05:55 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    NFS looks pretty.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 24 Mar 2013 19:24:43 43,672 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, looked pretty 6 months ago as well.

Still I'll forgive that if it's cheaper on the WiiU. Is it cheaper on the WiiU?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 24 Mar 2013 19:30:44 22,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, significantly cheaper for me ;)

• Raiko101 24 Mar 2013 21:48:31 6,183 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I can find it for 35 i'll pick it up. Off-screen play would be a nice addition. Not too sure i'd care for the extra features.

Still, I actually have a backlog of Wii U games now, thanks to my 3DS. Monster Hunter is just sitting on the shelf at the minute. :/

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Sid-Nice 24 Mar 2013 23:03:38 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow Need for Speed Most Wanted U is brilliant; I hope Digital Foundry do a verses, Wii U Verses PS3/Xbox 360 and the Gamepad Verses the Vita. You can have the game running concurrently on the TV and Gamepad or have the quick menu on the pad or map.

The problem I have with the game is sorting out an Origin account; I keep getting the message “Password and email address invalid” I don’t know if my email address will be locked to my PSN and Xbox Live accounts through Fifa and Tiger Woods, but there was a message popped up saying “You need to create an Origin account logged to your NNID.”

NNID Sid-Nice

• Jazzy_Geoff 24 Mar 2013 23:08:30 7,767 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CDi
    CD32
    Jaguar
    Wii U
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    GameCube
  • Sid-Nice 24 Mar 2013 23:19:02 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    CDi
    CD32
    Jaguar
    Wii U
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    GameCube
    Have you been in my loft?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 24 Mar 2013 23:22:44 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I've sorted out my Origin account; because I already had an Origin account using the same email address my log-in wouldn't work because my original password didn't contain at least 1 uppercase letter.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 24 Mar 2013 23:23:36 22,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a nice list you've got there Jazzy. Very nice indeed, especially without context. I take it that's a list of consoles by sales to date, in order form lowest to highest? Googling them individually certainly suggests so, so either you meant it or are super lucky :)

• addyb 24 Mar 2013 23:45:45 1,045 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    CDi
    CD32
    Jaguar
    Wii U
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    GameCube
    Have you been in my loft?
    PMSL!!
  • Jazzy_Geoff 25 Mar 2013 00:07:22 7,767 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    That's a nice list you've got there Jazzy. Very nice indeed, especially without context. I take it that's a list of consoles by sales to date, in order form lowest to highest? Googling them individually certainly suggests so, so either you meant it or are super lucky :)
    Just my personal list of flop consoles in order of my perception of their failure. I revise daily. Just thought I would share
  • treegreen 25 Mar 2013 00:16:18 103 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've never understood why gamers are so obsessed with sales? I could kind of understand if people were just concerned about the financial stability of their favourite companies, but it seems to have nothing to do with that at all.

Anyone else struggling with Monster Hunter? I can't tell if I'm just extremely useless at it or it's a very hard game.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2013 06:45:53
    @malloc Nintendo don't really try new things though. Motion controls were nothing new when they did it, they were just the first to pull it off in a successful way. The u pad is just a pander to the touch screen market, 3D was sadly getting attention, so they stuck it into their handheld with the 3DS. Mario has different mechanics (in space), but for the most part it's the same game. Same with Zelda.

As for Sega, this is why I think a lot of gamers talk bull. So many of them say they want new creative ideas etc, yet whenever its staring them in the face people ignore it. Also it wasn't just that, that hurt Sega, the reasons were a lot more complex then that.

Edited by Rec at 06:50:24 25-03-2013
  • scuffpuppies 25 Mar 2013 08:38:07 263 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved the Jaguar. The original 'Need for Speed' was the best version for years. For some reason no other developer could get the weight and handling right for the cars.

NFS, Tempest, and Alien vs Predator were worth owning a Jaguar for.

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• scuffpuppies 25 Mar 2013 08:50:09 263 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @treegreen
    I'm a Monster Hunter virgin too, and to be fair, the game doesn't explain things very well. It's as though Capcom only expected to sell MH3U to fans of the series and not newbies.

My advice is to stay in the first town and run through the quests. They themselves are the tutorials. Complete those before sailing out to new locations.

Experiment with item combinations, and play around with all the different weapon types until you find the one you're comfortable with. You start with a selection of all the weapons to choose from, albeit fairly weak.

I like to alternate between the twin blades and the axe-slice, depending on what I'm hunting. Experimenting with traps will be useful too.

If you're up for some co-op, send me an invite. I've been meeting up with several chaps from Eurogamer recently.

Edit:...and yes, it is a hard game.

Edited by scuffpuppies at 08:52:39 25-03-2013

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• Page

of 1354 First / Last