Registered 8 years ago
    BASIC MATHS

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 14:50:53 8,748 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Actually, I think crap controls and *definitely* crap battery life are a massive problem for a console.
    Who mentioned crap controls?
    That's not an issue.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MontyBrewster 22 Mar 2013 15:12:05 253 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Looking forward to Bioshock Infinite on the Wii U next Tuesday, given that it uses the aging UE3 it must have been child's play to port it and make it run as smooth as silk on this brand new hardware.
    Despite being trolltastic, you raise a good point.

Why exactly arent games like the recent Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, etc all being released on the Wii U?

I thought the whole point of the Wii U was to directly compete with the 360 and the PS3 and......it isnt.
    I guess that publishers don't think it's worth the investment, I don't quite understand it though.
    Most Wii U owners already have a 360 or PS3 so it's not worth the effort to port across to the Wii U. You'd actually receive very few extra sales in real terms. Bioshock Infinite might shift 250K units on the Wii U if it was released this Tuesday but if you don't port then 80%-90% will just buy the 360/ps3/pc version.

Need For Speed's out today and it will die a death at retail as the majority played it elsewhere. Zero marketing suggests EA's thinking along the same lines.

They needed the original Wii owners to upgrade and thus far that hasn't happened, so once again Nintendo misses out on 3rd party support.
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 15:15:06 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MontyBrewster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Looking forward to Bioshock Infinite on the Wii U next Tuesday, given that it uses the aging UE3 it must have been child's play to port it and make it run as smooth as silk on this brand new hardware.
    Despite being trolltastic, you raise a good point.

Why exactly arent games like the recent Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, etc all being released on the Wii U?

I thought the whole point of the Wii U was to directly compete with the 360 and the PS3 and......it isnt.
    I guess that publishers don't think it's worth the investment, I don't quite understand it though.
    Most Wii U owners already have a 360 or PS3 so it's not worth the effort to port across to the Wii U. You'd actually receive very few extra sales in real terms. Bioshock Infinite might shift 250K units on the Wii U if it was released this Tuesday but if you don't port then 80%-90% will just buy the 360/ps3/pc version.

Need For Speed's out today and it will die a death at retail as the majority played it elsewhere. Zero marketing suggests EA's thinking along the same lines.

They needed the original Wii owners to upgrade and thus far that hasn't happened, so once again Nintendo misses out on 3rd party support.
    You are right there, but even though the Wii sold 100 million units worldwide, Nintendo didnt genuinely believe that all of those were hardcore gamers who would automatically pick up the Wii U did they??

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 15:15:28 22-03-2013

"Look at banner Michael!"

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 15:17:23 55,867 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because they sold 80 million of those to housewives.

He totally called it

• Sandbox 22 Mar 2013 15:46:07 339 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Mar 2013 16:30:25 4,682 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I briefly saw the 199 bundle in HMV at lunch time, before I even knew it was 'news' ...

... got plenty of money in my bank and I felt no inkling to buy it whatsoever.

: (

To think I used to be a Nintendo fanboy!
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 16:34:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud I'd like one, but to he honest if I had the cash i'd either get a 3DS which has some great games out, or wait for the next gen machines. I bought both Wii and DS at launch, and a GC nearish after launch.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 16:40:11 55,867 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The worst/funniest thing about this price cut is that because its unnofficial, thanks to nintendo sticking their heads in the sand, the people who have been mugged for the full price as recently as a few weeks ago wont get their 10 worth of 'we're sorry' NES games.

He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 16:41:24 8,748 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I briefly saw the 199 bundle in HMV at lunch time, before I even knew it was 'news' ...

How far you've fallen!
    I weep for you :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• munki83 22 Mar 2013 16:42:43 1,332 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got mines and looking forward to setting it up. They didn't have zombie u so hmv owe me. 39.99 :p. This is my 200 gamble that there wil be some great exclusives for the Wii u over the next few years. Plus my room is next to the toilet so remote play on the loo is very likely
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 16:44:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @munki83 If I had more cash (I.e.: Could afford several machines) I'd get it just for Bayonetta 2 and the inevitable new Mario game. But against another machine it doesn't add up yet.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 16:45:31 22-03-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Mar 2013 16:45:45 4,682 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am happy to wait to be honest ... although the next 3D Mario with Nintendo Land and the Wii U for 199 would be tempting. It is all about the quality first party games of which are nowhere to be seen thus far.

Does anyone know what the chap in the Luigi's Mansion 2 review comments means when he says, 'fourth 9/10 on a Nintendo platform in the space of one week' ...

... LEGO City Undercover, Monster Hunter thingummy and Luigi's Mansion is all I can think of so, what and where is the 'fourth' one?
  • DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 17:44:32 22,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd suggest he's cheekily counted MH3 for Wii U seperate to 3DS. So he's still right, but it's a bit of a stretch.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Sid-Nice 22 Mar 2013 17:53:07 15,810 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I am happy to wait to be honest ... although the next 3D Mario with Nintendo Land and the Wii U for 199 would be tempting. It is all about the quality first party games of which are nowhere to be seen thus far.

Does anyone know what the chap in the Luigi's Mansion 2 review comments means when he says, 'fourth 9/10 on a Nintendo platform in the space of one week' ...

... LEGO City Undercover, Monster Hunter thingummy and Luigi's Mansion is all I can think of so, what and where is the 'fourth' one?
    Need For Speed Most Wanted U 9/10 on the front page now.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 17:58:55 22,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's that? Definitely nothing there for me, but I am on the mobile site. Could you do me a favour and post a link to it please? I'd like to read that one. Cheers :)

• Sid-Nice 22 Mar 2013 18:01:27 15,810 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What's that? Definitely nothing there for me, but I am on the mobile site. Could you do me a favour and post a link to it please? I'd like to read that one. Cheers :)
    Sorry I'm only playing; if like me Eurogamer have probably found it difficult to find a copy of NFSMWU to review.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 18:02:58 22,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, righto.

• Raiko101 22 Mar 2013 19:14:02 5,541 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun I'm still not feeling mugged. The price wasn't/isn't the issue for me.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• RyanDS 22 Mar 2013 22:18:22 8,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For fucks sake. Had to try to find the game pad in the cupboard and clean the dust off just to play xenoblade on wii mode. Had to install an update.

Made me realise that since the first week after launch when I completed new super mario which was pretty mediocre this is the first time I have had to actually find and turn the ps vita clone on. All I have used the wii u for is xenoblade since then.

Saying that, I think xenoblade is probably worth the three hundred pounds. Mario galaxy through is like sunshine, another disappointment, will be selling that as after four hours is has no soul and maybe try part two.
  • albo 22 Mar 2013 23:05:20 2 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm contemplating going out to buy one with this offer, but i'm wondering whether the price will drop even further by summer or autumn or will it rise as new games are released and it sells better? Bear in mind in the UK shops set the price.

I'd prefer to get it in the summer as i'll have time to play it more but not if the price will be higher than this offer. Apparently these shops are losing money selling it as this price but need to as it takes up valuable warehouse space sitting there and they need to clear the stock for stuff that will sell. I don't see them lowering it any further so should i take advantage of this deal considering it's probably even cheaper given that HMV are going into administration?

Advice?? Need to decide asap so i can be at HMV at 9 in the morning before stock runs out.

Edited by albo at 23:23:45 22-03-2013
  • Roddles 22 Mar 2013 23:07:27 1,432 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You're better off waiting until production stops and they go for under 150 like the Dreamcast did. You'll also have a range of good games to chose from by then hopefully.

My opinion, not trolling etc blah blah.

Edited by Roddles at 23:07:52 22-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:09:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RyanDS one of the most universally recognised best games ever. I don't get how you can't like it
  • Aretak 22 Mar 2013 23:19:16 10,329 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @RyanDS one of the most universally recognised best games ever. I don't get how you can't like it
    GTA IV is universally recognised as one of the best games ever (or the best ever according to Metacritic), but it's still a pile of tedious, boring dog spunk IMO.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:21:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Aretak I wouldn't go that far!
  • treegreen 22 Mar 2013 23:42:15 103 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Everyone has their own opinions on these things. Although I do think a lot of people go into well received games with the intention of hating it to be unique.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:47:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Everyone has their own opinions on these things. Although I do think a lot of people go into well received games with the intention of hating it to be unique.
    Absolutely.
    Especially on the Wii where their hatred of motion controls and less than 360 power affects their judgement massively. But this convo is on the Mario galaxy thread so lets not do it here too!
  • macmurphy 23 Mar 2013 00:12:44 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS If you didn't like Galaxy 1 you won't like 2, it's basically Galaxy 1.5.

One of the finest games I've ever played, 2 is just as good for me but I feel your pain, didn't get on with Half Life 2. Some games just don't click and people can quote metacritic scores and get nostalgic at you all day long. If 90% of people love a game there will always be a 10%, sometimes you're the 10%.

I feel sorry for you, but not in a condescending way. Probably the same way Half Life 2 lovers feel about me. They had an amazing experience and want to share it, but I never can.

Games are like that, and all the better for it I think, it encourages variety. Glad you liked Xenoblade and that it makes the purchse of a WiiU seem worthwhile. If I say keep the faith it also seems romantic, but the Wii was a great second console for me and hopefully enjoying Xenoblade means the WiiU can become the same for you. The same team that made Xenoblade are working on another WiiU exclusive so, speculation about other releases aside, that's something to look forward to.
  • Sid-Nice 23 Mar 2013 00:38:29 15,810 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Well spotted.

Edited by Sid-Nice at 00:38:49 23-03-2013

Edited by Sid-Nice at 00:39:27 23-03-2013

NNID Sid-Nice

• zoolophage 23 Mar 2013 10:32:40 969 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While I'm satisfied with my Wii U (it will be my only console for the next few years) the large price drops are mildly disturbing in terms of its larger appeal. Is it that everyone who was planning to buy one now has it, and we're just waiting for a few more games to be released? Seems a bit of a vicious circle to me...low sales mean that its retail visibility vanishes, which in turns damages sales and so on and so forth. Could be messy...eek.

The high price of games isn't helping either. Who wants to be pay 50 for any game, on any platform, really. Titles worth that sum are few and far between (imo). Looks like the 3DS all over again but I'm not so certain that Nintendo will be able to turn it around. At worst we'll be playing first party Nintendo games for the next few years. Actually...feed me a few of those each year and I'm pretty happy. I've kind of 'stopped caring' about gaming so much as I've gotten older. Gaming really isn't what it used to be to me, now I can pretty much take it or leave it. Play a bit now and again but there are many other things that interest me more or are more important to me.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Page

of 1212 First / Last