Wii U Page 562

• Page

of 1408 First / Last

• addyb 22 Mar 2013 07:43:54 1,288 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Sid Nice appears to be the only Wii U owner who can type the name correctly.
    Well ain't that Wii ley great!
  • Cappy 22 Mar 2013 09:58:57 12,116 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it really that imperative that everybody should be convinced that it's not Nintendo's Wii U failing, rather that all consoles will fail?

There is absolutely no evidence to support this aside from the Wii U failing, which is being construed as the death of consoles. The Saturn absolutely bombed in the West without requiring the rest of the market to go down with it, the Dreamcast didn't do much better during a time when console sales were healthy elsewhere.

I hear it a lot, I believe expectation of the death of consoles is due to emotional investment in the Wii U platform or Nintendo rather than astuteness and eerie prognosticative abilities.

After all, the very same contingent can't even admit that the Wii U is a product that doesn't sell because the market rejected it, it's not competitive, people don't want it because it's not good enough for the asking price, or anything near it if the reaction to the unofficial price drops are any indication.

No, it't because the marketing isn't quite right, the Wii U shelf spacing isn't big enough, because the UK hates Nintendo (that one keeps on coming up, despite the UK being one of Nintendo's biggest European markets). It's because everybody else hates Nintendo, developers hate Nintendo, publishers hate Nintendo, they'd rather go out of business than make money on a Nintendo platform. The Wii U definitely isn't to blame.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:07:26 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with that, to a point, but I think this is probably the last generation where people have all three/both the main consoles sat under their TVs, so one of the new ones may flop.

I think/hope its MS, to be honest. All of their consumer products recently have sucked balls recently and its hard to see that the 720 will be any different, given what little we know of it and the direction the 360 has taken recently.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:07:58 22-03-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Gregolution 22 Mar 2013 10:18:05 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Monster Hunter arrived. Anyone else playing?

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 10:19:08 11,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Is it really that imperative that everybody should be convinced that it's not Nintendo's Wii U failing, rather that all consoles will fail?

There is absolutely no evidence to support this aside from the Wii U failing, which is being construed as the death of consoles. The Saturn absolutely bombed in the West without requiring the rest of the market to go down with it, the Dreamcast didn't do much better during a time when console sales were healthy elsewhere.

I hear it a lot, I believe expectation of the death of consoles is due to emotional investment in the Wii U platform or Nintendo rather than astuteness and eerie prognosticative abilities.

After all, the very same contingent can't even admit that the Wii U is a product that doesn't sell because the market rejected it, it's not competitive, people don't want it because it's not good enough for the asking price, or anything near it if the reaction to the unofficial price drops are any indication.

No, it't because the marketing isn't quite right, the Wii U shelf spacing isn't big enough, because the UK hates Nintendo (that one keeps on coming up, despite the UK being one of Nintendo's biggest European markets). It's because everybody else hates Nintendo, developers hate Nintendo, publishers hate Nintendo, they'd rather go out of business than make money on a Nintendo platform. The Wii U definitely isn't to blame.
    Who is convinced?
    Show me the posts from the convinced people,.
    People dared to suggest that the other 2 new consoles might not sell hugely at the beginning due to many factors, simple as that.
    Stop talking shite with this stupid mass generalisations based on things people didn't say just to suit this tiresome bitter bollocks that you never tire of spouting.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:22:33 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A good post. Some reasonable, well made points there.

• Cappy 22 Mar 2013 10:28:05 12,116 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are probably a hundred posts in just this thread telling us that it's not the WIi U failing, rather the whole market.

You only have to go back one measly page to see the latest reiterations of the assertion.

Try and discuss things like an adult ecosse.
  • alexc7496 22 Mar 2013 10:32:27 1,792 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So much hate at times for the Wii U on this thread yet we all know if it bombs everyone will have some sort of emotional love in like they do with the Dreamcast. Nintendo are much stronger, they have the financial means due to the success of the 3DS and Wii to keep the life support machine on as long as needed. Worst case it would be another GameCube, fine be me. The last thing I ever want to do is play a Mario game on a Xbox.
  • figaro7 22 Mar 2013 10:34:20 1,385 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well ive ordered lego city and need for speed, nearly tempted to get monster hunter as well, prob will pick it up eventually. Anyway whos going to pick up the new deus ex directors cut? Played through it when it was originally released, quite a decent game for sure, but a port of a 2 year old game is stretching it a little. At least there are some developers going into bat for the wii u, just wish there was some NEW games.

Ironically if they announced an enhanced port of tomb raider id have waited and bought it on the wii u, why they are at it, tell someone to release bioshock infinite on it as well and id buy that on the wii u to.

Edited by figaro7 at 10:36:54 22-03-2013
  • Rodpad 22 Mar 2013 10:34:37 2,093 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's looking to be more of a Dreamcast than a Gamecube, except without the love and good games.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2013 10:35:51
    Cappy wrote:
    There are probably a hundred posts in just this thread telling us that it's not the WIi U failing, rather the whole market.

You only have to go back one measly page to see the latest reiterations of the assertion.

Try and discuss things like an adult ecosse.
    I think most reasonable people admit the wii u could do better to help it self out of a sorry state at the moment. But i also think the market argument is a reasonable one to make. Anybody saying the next generation is just going to blow apart the wii u is a bit naive.

But what do i know. I was one of the people who thought the console would do really well.
  • chopsen 22 Mar 2013 10:37:51 16,290 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nintendo consoles get shit thrown it's way for years.

N64: wtf? Cartridges? Also how much for a game? Oh never mind, there's only one game availably for it anyway.

GC: What no DVD playback? It's not powerful enough. Ah nobody's buying it. Ooh it's at the back of the shop. Oh it's gone.

Wii: WTF is that controller about? What are they doing? Oh they're selling loads. Yeah but it's to grannies with low attach rate.

Hell, even the 3DS got a slating for being a bit shit and having no games, and handhelds are historically safe ground for them

Despite that they're still here though. The WiiU getting slagged off shortly after release is par for the course for a new Nintendo plaform, basically.
  • Kangoo 22 Mar 2013 10:45:44 1,023 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure if anyone else has seen it but there was an advert for LCU on Nick Jnr this morning. At least it's a start.

PSN: Adwab2

• vyseofhr 22 Mar 2013 10:56:24 902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    It's looking to be more of a Dreamcast than a Gamecube, except without the love and good games.
    A new troll approaches!

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:58:22 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Roddles wrote:
    A new troll approaches!
    Just so you know, its this kind of thing that makes nintendo threads a warzone.

• binky Moderator 22 Mar 2013 11:08:10 9,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Cappy Interesting post, and a very valid point of view.
    I'm torn. I personally don't think any of the next gen consoles will fly off the shelves in their first year, but I do believe they will sell through a heck of a lot more than the Wii U has, but the proof will only be seen when it happens. Until then, it's just a shit load of (daily) speculation. Man, we've got another year of this haven't we!

With regards to the Wii U utterly failing - I'm not sure. I still think Nintendo can turn this around, and a slew of first party titles around Christmas should see a bit of an upward trend. They will always be the "other console" but they seriously do need to market it a lot better because through my own anecdotal evidence nobody seems to know what the hell it is.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:12:50 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I genuinely dont think Mario is any longer the draw it used to be. The Wii sold by virtue of its waggle and weighing scales. I dont think any amount of Mario Universe/Kart/Party titles will sell the console in any great numbers.

Maybe during the launch period they could have but now any interest in the console has evaporated and the focus is firmly on the next gen consoles.

• Bremenacht 22 Mar 2013 11:12:59 19,660 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem is that all there really is to talk about on the Wii U is how good it might be when good games come out and that's about it.

Speculation alone on the other two consoles dwarfs the discussion of Wii U.

Yes, Nintendo might pull it out of the bag, but they show no sign of how they might do so.

Edited by Bremenacht at 11:16:00 22-03-2013
  • Bremenacht 22 Mar 2013 11:16:24 19,660 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^
    |
    Another troll!!!
    Ignore him!
  • chopsen 22 Mar 2013 11:19:03 16,290 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    need to market it a lot better because through my own anecdotal evidence nobody seems to know what the hell it is.
    I think this is the key thing, really. I actually think they stumbled in to the success they had with the Wii. Most of the people who bought that in droves probably aren't going to to go for the WiiU because they're just not that much in to gaming. The Wii was that seaon's must have thing. It wasn't stable demographic that were going to be repeat customers that made it the success it was.
  • binky Moderator 22 Mar 2013 11:21:34 9,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @nickthegun Possibly, but last time round the core Mario games held chart position for... years. Their 2nd hand value even now suggests that it's still a valued IP.
  • Rodpad 22 Mar 2013 11:21:51 2,093 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Roddles wrote:
    A new troll approaches!
    You're using the definition of the word troll incorrectly. I'm not posting to bait others. It's an opinion.

People who hold an opinion that conflicts with yours aren't out to piss you off, nor are they keyboard warriors.

FYI I've loved and owned nearly every Nintendo console (although not necessarily mutually exclusive)

Edited by Roddles at 11:23:16 22-03-2013
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:22:32 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They needed to release the Wii U with Mario Kart. It really is inescapable. The 3DS picked up after it was launched and it was the best selling 'game' on the Wii. People absolutely love it.

• binky Moderator 22 Mar 2013 11:23:45 9,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Chopsen Do you remember all the talk in the press about Wii? I'm not talking gaming press, I'm talking about the daily rags, it was almost ever present around the launch. THAT is what helped to sell the Wii in the UK, the fact that the general public were reading about it in their newspapers and watching people play it on TV.

Not adverts either. ARTICLES.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:24:07 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @nickthegun Possibly, but last time round the core Mario games held chart position for... years. Their 2nd hand value even now suggests that it's still a valued IP.
    If you look at the best selling Wii titles, Mario Galaxy is around 10th place or something like that, even behind Smash Bros.

I probably shouldnt have mentioned kart because, as I said above, its probably the one game that can shift a few units.

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:25:11 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @Chopsen Do you remember all the talk in the press about Wii? I'm not talking gaming press, I'm talking about the daily rags, it was almost ever present around the launch. THAT is what helped to sell the Wii in the UK, the fact that the general public were reading about it in their newspapers and watching people play it on TV.

The minute David Beckham was spotted jogging with an iPod, that was that. It wasnt about the machine, it was getting some white earphones.

• binky Moderator 22 Mar 2013 11:26:28 9,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    binky wrote:

The minute David Beckham was spotted jogging with an iPod, that was that. It wasnt about the machine, it was getting some white earphones.
    I love that man.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:27:34 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me too.

• roz123 22 Mar 2013 11:29:18 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the lack of marketing comes down to it being half finished. The OS is unnecessarily slow with a patch coming to fix it, the release schedule is poor and it has no VC and none of that DVR stuff.
    I think they rushed to get it out before christmas but it wasn't ready.

I have heard it mentioned more on Netflix adverts then gaming related ones.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 11:34:50 61,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The basic fact is that it was released six months too early.

They didnt want to send it out to die in summer and christmas 2013 would have seen it up against the big boys, so they kicked it out of the door to get at least one xmas under its belt.

A strategy that worked wonders.

• Page

of 1408 First / Last