Wii U Page 555

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:15:12
    haha yeah it does look to mental. Certainly not the game to drag the wii u along with it in the west.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:22:15
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I have to chime in about the UI again. Fucking hell it's unbelievably slow. I downloaded the MH demo last night, all 840mb's of it. It must have taken 7-10 minutes to install. Then you are treated to a "Please Wait" blue circle for 30 seconds and a further 30 seconds to return to the Wii U menu.

People give the PS3 a hard time but the Wii U has the waiting game down to a fine art.
    I like the blue wait circle. It allows me time to contemplate and reflect on my life.
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2013 12:25:25 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owning just one console per generation is the ideal that I aim for. After all, why do I need two boxes to do the same job? That's money that could be spent on games.

I've found it extremely difficult with Nintendo consoles though, the N64 was a drought nightmare, there were gaps coming up towards 12 months between releases I'd actually pay the exorbitant prices for. So I opted for the new kid on the block Dreamcast, which is very much it's own tale of woe.

In hindsight, I wish I'd bought a PS1, great games all the way from beginning to end of the generation.

There's been a bit of historical revisionism on the Gamecube, coming out of the gate the console actually did really well and the first year or two of software was pretty strong. I was feeling pretty burned by the N64 and all it took was a few clips of upcoming games like Wind Waker to convince me that Nintendo had turned the corner, they were making all the right noises regarding third party support and there was all the hype for the Capcom 5 and Q fund releases.

Somehow, Nintendo managed to piss away a strong launch entirely. Little did we know, most of the Capcom 5 would be years off and in the case of Resident Evil 4 delayed again and again, the Gamecube was practically entombed by the time it was released. Nintendo was obsessed with Connectivity, trying get the success of the GBA to rub off onto the Gamecube. An exclusive Final Fantasy game was sacrificed on that particular altar and all the same old screw ups were back, third party games skipped the Gamecube more and more frequently and the droughts were back with a vengeance.

Nintendo weren't much help, it's almost as if they'd decided they'd done enough and thrown in the towel, if filler dreck like Battalion Wars was any indication. So I bought a PS2, in hindsight I should have done that in the first place.

I decided I wasn't going to be burned again so I just opted for the PS3 next time, ironically, a console which gained a reputation for being bereft of games, I was pretty happy with it though, backwards compatibility probably helped a bit.

When the PS3 flaked out, I decided maybe it was time for a change, the Wii had years worth of back catalogue behind it and was now pretty cheap, much cheaper than a PS3. What could go wrong?

I exhausted the entirety of the back catalogue in less than a year, most of the Nintendo staples such as Mario Galaxy weren't for me. That's one thing that the more devout Nintendo fans don't appreciate, not everybody is like you and loves every single first party Nintendo game automatically. I don't like Mario Kart, but I like Pikmin. I like Zelda but I don't like Smash Brothers. It's entirely possible for people to be complaining that they're not catered for and not be trolling. So it was back to the PS3 again.

Next time I'm going to do it, just one console.

Edited by Cappy at 12:41:02 19-03-2013
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:27:36
    I'm going with the plan of getting one console as a maximum, it won't be the one with 2 releases a year that I've seen 100 times before.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:28:18 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only way you can really do the whole "one console" thing and not get burned, is to be patient and never early adopt. In fact I'd say you have to wait at least for the mid-cycle.

I'm planing to do it next gen as well, and it will be unusual for me to not get any of the new consoles on release, but I'm actually quite looking forward to when I do eventually get one, knowing it's already a success and that there's loads of properly good games to play.
  • neilka 19 Mar 2013 12:31:12 14,942 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    (ie a clusterfuck of bollocks where nobody appears to have a clue what's going on).
    Nintendo Management Simulator 2013
  • DFawkes 19 Mar 2013 12:31:44 22,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My PS3 was certainly slower than my Wii U, but the Wii U seems to spend it's time not providing feedback to what it's up to. At least my PS3 had loading bars. My Wii U uses it as personal time, musing over the day it's had.

That is except the browser. It might test well for HTML5 compliance, but how it manages to be so slow I have no idea. Again I can only go by my own experiences, but for the sites I visit it's slower than my old phat PSP was, and it was already a great patience tester.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:32:04
    2015 is the earliest I would consider. The PC is more than enough until then, probably will be after too.
  • Youthist 19 Mar 2013 12:32:04 9,896 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:

I like the blue wait circle. It allows me time to contemplate and reflect on my life.
    And what conclusions do you reach about this 'life' of yours?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:33:09
    Youthist wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

I don't think that's relevant in the Wii U thread.

Stay on topic.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:34:26 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    2015 is the earliest I would consider. The PC is more than enough until then, probably will be after too.
    Does sort of depend on what's on the radar in 2014 as well. PC gaming won't be an option for me, but I'm hoping there's still enough life in the 360 to keep me going for a year.
  • Youthist 19 Mar 2013 12:35:46 9,896 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

I don't think that's relevant in the Wii U thread.

Stay on topic.
    You started it!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:40:15
    Nintendo started it with their zen approach to loading.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Mar 2013 13:02:15 36,280 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blue circle spinning
    Loading who knows what and when
    Contemplating life

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• vyseofhr 19 Mar 2013 13:11:25 802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

That the dreamcast's blue and white swirl was better.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• zoolophage 19 Mar 2013 13:45:56 967 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    50% off Little Inferno from 21st March. Well worth checking out if you haven't already.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 16:33:16
    nickthegun wrote:
    I pretty much bought the 360 for oblivion and the promise of Dead Rising.
    Same two reasons, plus I'll raise you being hyped for Halo 3.

The current situation with third parties is weird, Deus Ex shows that devs seem to want to develop for WiiU but are just testing the waters with past titles requiring minimum outlay. They're pretty much counting on Wii owners to at some point bite who may not have had the required console to experience their games. It's up to Nintendo to communicate to people there actually is a new console to buy.

To someone who never had the option before the WiiU line up looks a lot better, in fact really strong with quite a few genres covered. Not one of these games woukd probably sell a console by themselves but they're building up a decent enough catalogue.

In regards to Nintendo's sustainability outsourcing. There must be something in it because Capcom have been stubbornly doing the same thing even though the first few fruits were rotten.

Nitendo's outsourced stuff has generally been very strong, they've been building up quite a little army of devs over the last few gens.

I'm just probably annoyingly optimistic, but I think the WiiU will be fine.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 16:34:46 19-03-2013
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 16:39:45
    And I'm planning on two consoles. The WiiU does things different enough for me to justify it alongside my choice between PS4 720 or the Steambox thing.

I'm just really hoping that Nintendo keep evolving their game development. No one else could have made Galaxy 2 in my opinion and I want to see more of that creativity and confidence.
  • Zomoniac 19 Mar 2013 16:58:37 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    I'm just really hoping that Nintendo keep evolving their game development. No one else could have made Galaxy 2 in my opinion and I want to see more of that creativity and confidence.
    If you'd just said Galaxy I'd have agreed, but Galaxy 2 had very little creativity.
  • Zomoniac 19 Mar 2013 16:59:41 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I pretty much bought the 360 for oblivion and the promise of Dead Rising.
    Same two reasons, plus I'll raise you being hyped for Halo 3.
    Mine was Kameo and PGR3. Neither of which ended up being all that great, but both much better than any exclusives yet out on Wii U.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 17:10:45
    PGR maybe. But Kameo, really?

Granted Galaxy 2 didn't have the core innovation that the first did but I think it expands on it in quite a few areas. For me it's definitely the better game.

I agree that it is Nintendo reiterating which they are starting to do more of recently.
  • DFawkes 19 Mar 2013 17:16:12 22,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was never a fan of PGR (or MSR on Dreamcast), so would certainly put ZombieU ahead for me. Same with Kameo, though it was quite good. Just my opinion though, obviously.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• spamdangled 19 Mar 2013 17:21:54 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So who's up for some multiplayer Monster Hunter then? I've just had notice that Shopto have taken the money from my account, which should hopefully mean a dispatch tomorrow.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 17:29:57
    I do but I'm going to have to wait until next week.

The demo has really got under my skin. Can't wait to play something that rekindles my PSO love. I may take a chance on Lego City as well being as it's been received quite well.
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2013 17:49:11 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What was the core innovation of Mario Galaxy?
  • Raiko101 19 Mar 2013 18:14:14 5,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't say it was innovative, but it's focus on platforming over anything else made it brilliant. By far the best two 3D platformers of all time. In my opinion, of course.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 18:18:40 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not a category with a huge amount of competition to be honest, but yeah, I'd agree.

Mario Galaxy was quite clearly based on the insight that the funnest part of Mario Sunshine were the little old-school platformy bits, and made a whole game out of them. I think its form is quite innovative if not the gaming mechanics itself. It somehow realises that bite-size platforming is more fun, even if it's lots of bite-size platforming.

A bit like Cadburys Fingers being better than Cadburys Snacks, even though they're made of the same stuff.
  • Progguitarist 19 Mar 2013 18:33:50 10,316 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the Mario train is running out of creative steam. NSMBU is very tired indeed. I haven't played a Mario game in years and there's nothing, apart from a graphical upgrade to seperate it from SMW.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 18:36:04 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 2D games are unoriginal cons for gullible fanboys, but the 3D ones are still full of nice design and innovation. Shame they didn't have one ready for the WiiU launch.
  • Page

of 1212 First / Last