Wii U Page 554

• Page

of 1358 First / Last

• midi82 19 Mar 2013 09:04:53 671 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need some advice, I want to get a new game for wii u this week, I've got Lego City pre-ordered, but I am thinking either monster hunter of NFS:MW,
    I have played MH Tri on wii so I know I will enjoy it. I enjoyed the first Most Wanted on PC so if it's similar to that one I would enjoy that.

The other option is do I go for something like batman?
    Also is there anywhere cheaper than Shopto for these games at the minute?
  • redcrayon 19 Mar 2013 09:05:14 4,557 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As much as Pikmin, Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter are enough to make me think about a WiiU, I can't help but think the only thing likely to kick it into gear for the wider market is the QR reader stuff on the game pad with Skylanders, pokemon and Disney stuff for the kids, or Mario Kart U.

I don't see Wii fit or sports doing as well this gen, and the multiplatform support seems a bit dire.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2013 09:05:54 9,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kalel To be fair, that was only a big deal AFTER it launched. Before that all most people were getting excited about it for was the inclusive Halo3 beta code! Then they realised what a great game it was.
  • macmurphy 19 Mar 2013 09:06:17 999 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i really like the list of Xbox games. GRAW, Fight Night, Oblivion - if most have them haven't gone down as calssics they were perfectly tolerable at the time.

On the Wii U there isn't much of anything really. It does have some great games like Mass Effect 3, Arkham City and Assassin's Creed 3 but they are all probably cheaper on other platforms, some will have played them all ready.

I really want a WiiU and plan to get one, but there's still nothing on there right now that's pushed me over the edge. I'm done with 2D Marios, had the other one on the Wii. Monster Hunter is blinding but I had it on Wii. Lego City looks ok but not brilliant.

So I'm left with Nintendoland and ZombieU - Nintendoland is the pick of the bunch but I know it will only get a lot of love when I have friends round and that isn't that often.

If I didn't have a Wii I would probably buy one in a heartbeat as there are so many great Wii games to play, but there's still nothing on the WiiU yet that makes me want to buy one.

And Rec, it's not that nintendo haven't evolved beyond Japan. They were hugely popular worldwide with the NES and SNES. I think it's just that they haven't evolved full stop. The gamecube had a lot of third party support, but since the Wii and the WiiU have both offered subpar performance it seems most developers in general aren't keen to develop cutting edge titles. Only small studios that Nintendo encourage financially. It's always going to be easier and more profitable to develop a title for the PS360 which offers a bigger market and more certain market conditions. It's why the Wii struggled, and it's why the WiiU will struggle.

At the moment Nintendo are fostering soem great third party relationships, with games like the Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Monster Hunter. But I'm not sure this is sustainable or profitable. Time will tell.
  • roz123 19 Mar 2013 09:07:59 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would be a better console if it launched with the Wiis Virtual Console playable on the gamepad. Its far more appealing to me playing the old Snes and N64 games on that then through the TV, PC or 3DS. Apparently its coming in April but I wouldn't be surprised if it launches with only a handful of games on it.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:08:18 59,537 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I pretty much bought the 360 for oblivion and the promise of Dead Rising.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 09:13:22 87,180 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Japan thing and the 3rd party thing are the same issue. The problem is that because Nintendo don't get a lot of support from big 3rd party deves, their consoles end up being very Japanese (as most of the games are 1st and 2nd party and Nintendo themselves are Japanese).

I quite like that though, and it makes Nintendo consoles the natural choice for the "second console". Xbox and PS end up being essentially the same, and then Nintendo offer something a bit different. My big beef is this time I was hoping the WiiU would end up being a true viable contender for my "first" (and possibly only) console, but there's no chance sadly.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2013 09:13:36 9,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In other news, Bluewater GAME now have a demo pod in-store. I say "demo", the only playable game on there seemed to be NSMB, everything else was video. I must say though, Mario does look great in HD.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:15:05 59,537 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If its anything like the demo pod in game, I think you can quit out of it and select from other demos on the game pad.

I may be wrong, the pad had half an inch of finger grease on it when I played.

• binky Moderator 19 Mar 2013 09:15:26 9,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    My big beef is this time I was hoping the WiiU would end up being a true viable contender for my "first" (and possibly only) console, but there's no chance sadly.
    Exactly this for me too.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:17:09 59,537 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The Japan thing and the 3rd party thing are the same issue. The problem is that because Nintendo don't get a lot of support from big 3rd party deves, their consoles end up being very Japanese (as most of the games are 1st and 2nd party and Nintendo themselves are Japanese).

I quite like that though, and it makes Nintendo consoles the natural choice for the "second console". Xbox and PS end up being essentially the same, and then Nintendo offer something a bit different. My big beef is this time I was hoping the WiiU would end up being a true viable contender for my "first" (and possibly only) console, but there's no chance sadly.
    Youve basically just described why the DS/3DS are so popular. They are incredibly well supported by a boatload of quirky, inexpensive japanese games that even western audiences love.

This support does not extend to the home consoles.

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:19:04 59,537 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which, to digress slightly, is why nintendo are even in the race. If it was down to just home console sales, their business would be unsustainable.

If the Game Gear had sold to every man, woman and child on the planet, we would probably be having this discussion about the DREAM U (except sega could release more than one game every six months).

• midi82 19 Mar 2013 09:35:47 671 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MH Tri or NFS:MW, what do you recommend?
  • vyseofhr 19 Mar 2013 09:38:44 822 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Amazon US has listed Deus Ex:HR Director's Cut this morning, with boxart.

Linky

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:41:33 59,537 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, this is all well and good, but this is a game (probably *the* game that really started the trend) that famously halved in price within a couple of weeks. Ive seen it in the PSN sale for like 6 quid before.

I really cant see how they think they will make any money on it.

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 09:43:17
    I bought the 360 version for a fiver at Christmas and I'm sure it's been on Steam for 3.
  • vyseofhr 19 Mar 2013 09:43:55 822 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree. No interest in it myself, just relaying information.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 10:06:17
    @MrTomFTW The game want finished. Max Payne was the same. It works on the Dreamcast, but poorly due to development being halted close the end.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Mar 2013 10:08:34 3,282 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, despite my extreme disappointment in Nintendo (and the Wii U) recently, i've got to say i'm quite looking forward to Monster Hunter and Lego City over the next week or so.

Time to dust the Wii U off methinks........

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Progguitarist 19 Mar 2013 10:15:55 10,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to chime in about the UI again. Fucking hell it's unbelievably slow. I downloaded the MH demo last night, all 840mb's of it. It must have taken 7-10 minutes to install. Then you are treated to a "Please Wait" blue circle for 30 seconds and a further 30 seconds to return to the Wii U menu.

People give the PS3 a hard time but the Wii U has the waiting game down to a fine art.
  • alexc7496 19 Mar 2013 11:00:30 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think another issue regarding the Wii U is Nintendo are in many ways a victim of their success. When the Wii was released devs were a bit 'meh'. The Wii then started selling like nothing before and devs wanted to jump on board, only problem was by this point the Wii was now a party machine and selling so many cheap 1st & 2nd party games the big devs pulled away knowing it wasn't the place to sell AAA titles.

Maybe now that Nintendo want to go back down the serious route and have more 3rd party titles the 3rd party devs are still a bit pissed off about the fact that they couldn't join in the Wii gravy train.

And another point is the Wii as far as I recall was by far the biggest selling platform of the last generation (e,g 360, PS3 & Wii), made at a small cost and not expecting much this made Nintendo Billions. It still sells well today so this gives me hope that Nintendo do have the financial muscle to keep with the Wii U and not 'Take it behind the barn' and do the right thing.
  • macmurphy 19 Mar 2013 11:09:54 999 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @midi82

Tri was great if you get into it. If you have some online chums to play with even better. But it's a big complicated title, not really much good if you can't put the hours in.
  • midi82 19 Mar 2013 11:12:36 671 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yes, I loved tri, just not sure if there is enough new content to go for Ultimate.
    I'm just not sure if need for speed is worth getting or not.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Mar 2013 11:30:44 13,480 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still can see myself grabbing a WiiU once all this "OMG THE SYSTEM IS DEAD" hysteria has died down.

Currently seeing it going through the early PS3 lifecycle... where it eventually got ports of established 360 "classics" further down the line. At that point I didn't really care that it could be had on another system for 4 quid as I was getting it on the system I owned. If you decide that the WiiU is the only console you want to own, then it is a most welcome benefit.

My thinking is to get it to sit alongside the front room PC and it to be something the little nipper grows in to. Can't see him getting to grips with Big Picture Mode and the wealth of Steam games I have, think the WiiU would be much more suited as a family console - again the market that Nintendo aim at.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 11:33:12
    I'll buy one as well when it is dead and can be had for 50. Probably around the time Bayonetta 2 appears.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 11:33:40 87,180 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a lot of people are eyeing the WiiU has one to pick up cheap late in the cycle as something for their child to play with. I certainly am.

This will not equal success for the console though.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 12:06:33
    Some Poke Rumble footage.

Edited by joelstinton at 12:07:15 19-03-2013
  • Kay 19 Mar 2013 12:09:46 17,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The 360 had Crackdown at this point as well which was a pretty big deal.
    Crackdown came out in 2007.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:11:54 87,180 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Odd. Remember it being an early game. Fair enough.
  • Zomoniac 19 Mar 2013 12:12:08 7,827 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Some Poke Rumble footage.

What the fuck is that?! Looks like that Pikmin game on Nintendo Land (ie a clusterfuck of bollocks where nobody appears to have a clue what's going on).
  • Page

of 1358 First / Last