Wii U Page 544

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• macmurphy 15 Mar 2013 11:14:04 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's still early days.

Someone made a point about how Nintendo haven't marketed it very well. maybe they really are just waiting till more games come out. Wii Fit U, Mariokart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, when they all drop I expect to see Nintendo come out fighting.

Don't get me wrong it looks grim, but then it looked pretty grim for the 3DS for a while. If they chuck in a price drop, actually release some games then there's still hope. Nintendo always have a chance.

I honestly think Nintendo aren't trying to compete that much any more with the 360 and the PS3, they want to carve out this space as a second console/family fun box. That's still achievable to my mind.

Also generally the point about having to buy all the controllers doesn't hold that much water. There's a hell of a lot of Wii's out there, a cursory look on ebay reveals motion plus attachments for about 7 quid. I've still got all my wiimotes, I can't be the only one.
  • Waffleaber 15 Mar 2013 11:14:16 313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I havent really said anything in this argument thus far other than to disagree with DM about the economic downturn. Dont be so sensitive.
    You guys turn up everytime there's bad financial news to share.

We get it, you think the console is a waste of space.
    Its the Wii U thread, not the Wii U is awesome thread. Im genuinely disappointed because I fancy a new console and I like nintendo games.

I think im allowed to talk about that.
    Yep I'm in the same boat. I want a Wii U but have no incentive to buy one and that upsets me.
  • jimnastics 15 Mar 2013 11:14:35 181 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I only bought one for whenever Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart come out (and a few select others). I was hoping that decent games might come out in the meantime, but that's not exactly happened. If I hadn't managed to get one through the Amazon 169.99 Premium pricing error, I would have flogged it by now. As it is, I haven't touched it since I gave up on Sonic racing as there was never anyone online to play against.

It is dawning on me that I only care about Nintendo games, rather than Nintendo consoles. Of course historically they go hand in hand, but I genuinely would not be upset if Nintendo ditched consoles and just went multi-platform with their games (or even partnered up with someone new who took care of the hardware side of things... Valve + Nintendo!).

It is depressing. I am a huge Nintendo fan, but the WiiU is (currently) a disaster. I fear only big price-cuts and a complete "let's pretend the first launch didn't happen" relaunch with Mario, Mario Kart and / or Zelda can save it.
  • Gambit1977 15 Mar 2013 11:15:07 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NOw they've announced that to DL Lego City Undercover you need an external drive!!!

FFS Nintendo...
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2013 11:15:09 10,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun - definitely this on both of your posts.

I'm not having a pop at any Wii U owners. The point here is that I'm angry because I wanted to have a shiny console and enjoy it, like I have the other ones. We're talking from Snes days onwards here, not just the odd console. I love the fucking things and really enjoy them and I wanted that to continue.

It's pissed me off basically

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• javvyman 15 Mar 2013 11:15:26 705 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun Exactly, your tastes have changed, you've already decided you don't want it. Why spend all day in the thread trying to justify your decisions, do you want other people to follow your path of righteousness? Will that give you peace of mind?

Edited by javvyman at 11:19:00 15-03-2013
  • nickthegun 15 Mar 2013 11:16:58 55,912 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even though its a misuse, to a certain extent (and given that I hate the terminology), I do feel a certain sense of entitlement, yes.

I felt entitled that if I bought a Wii, they would provide games for me to play on it. I would feel entitled to games had i bought a Wii U and after having me as a customer for so long, I feel entitled to demand that they pull their fingers out of their arses.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 15 Mar 2013 11:20:34 55,912 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Why spend all day in the thread trying to justify your decisions, do you want other people to follow your path of righteousness?
    I dont spend all day in here. I only really post when there is news like this, when one of you guys brings up 'OH WE HAVENT BEEN TROLLED IN A WHILE' like weird sad-masochists or when im trolling ecosse because I find him offensive.

Its just that discussions like this are memorable rather than 'ooh, a wild demo has been released' arent. If we didnt post there would be nothing to talk about.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 15 Mar 2013 11:23:44 41,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You guys write what you think of the WiiU. I write what I think.

The difference is, my opinion is supported by plenty of evidence as to the failure of this console and yours tends to be wishful thinking and optimism.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Raiko101 15 Mar 2013 11:24:08 5,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So did anybody play that Chasing Aurora demo? Pretty boring, I must say.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Gambit1977 15 Mar 2013 11:24:45 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to agree with LB and NTG...
    My Wii U has only stayed in it's little place under the tv because of Netflix and the fact it only cost me 150
  • Kay 15 Mar 2013 11:25:43 17,404 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know, I do think that the Wii U is turning out to be a spectacular missed opportunity from Nintendo, and I have no intention of owning one - a first for me when it comes to Nintendo consoles.

But seriously, LB's (and to a slightly lesser extent, nickthegun's) posts are beyond insane now. When you start writing 400-500 word paragraphs on how much of a failure the console is, and feel the need to chip in with a little negative comment in the thread almost every single day, well, that's when it starts looking like a bit of an unhealthy obsession. They've probably posted more in this thread than any actual Wii U owner, which says it all really.

Get over it.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Mar 2013 11:26:43 41,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get over what?

• macmurphy 15 Mar 2013 11:27:39 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun

I feel your pain mate, but it does seem like you come on this thread to be negative a lot, often without much constructive to say. I think you spammed the same 'The wiiu is saved' comment on the LCU review and somewhere else.

To be fair I think the WiiU will end up like a less popular Wii. A Nintendo box of first party goodness and local multiplayer joy. If someone said I could keep the Wii or the 360, it's not even close - 360 was a much better consolse.

At the same time I never regretted buying the Wii. I had a lot of fun on it, it made family gaming great and got my parents playing which was amazing to see. The first party games were great. I think if you want third party you will just have to get one of the other big two. But I still have a lot of love for my Wii, it's still the thing that gets played at parties. If you can live with that, then the WiiU should still be a great second console.

And if it goes bad for Nintendo then they can always publish on other platforms. I just don't get why you're so negative all the time.
  • Cappy 15 Mar 2013 11:28:26 11,707 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After all the triumphalist hooting, and chest beating of the Wii and DS glory years when you curious little Nintendo devotees told us that core gamers were irrelevant and we should just 'fuck off' because nobody needs to make games for us because we don't count, surely you'll just let us have our moment of schadenfreude?

Take it on the chin like men.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 15 Mar 2013 11:30:40 6,654 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not even excited at all about the Wii U.

The hardcore are the only demographic, imo, that would potentially put up with the massively idiosyncratic piece of hardware that the wii u is, and it's just not powerful enough.

2 Cents fwiw.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Mar 2013 11:30:54 41,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've owned every Nintendo console until now. I have two DS handhelds and three Gameboy Advances. I queued on Oxford St for the launch night of the Wii and took holiday to play on it. The only console I've ever owned that hasn't been a Nintendo product is a 360. My favourite ever console is the Gamecube.

The WiiU is an overpriced turd.

• Kay 15 Mar 2013 11:31:03 17,404 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Get over what?
    Over the fact that the Wii U is clearly not the console you wanted it to be. There are at least four other proper current-gen consoles out there, not including the PC, so you have plenty of other threads to post in.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2013 11:31:12 10,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    More posts with the word schadenfreude please

• Gambit1977 15 Mar 2013 11:32:45 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm assuming everyone has Deckard on ignore, considering the grief you're all giving NTG.
  • javvyman 15 Mar 2013 11:32:53 705 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun that's fair enough, I'm not just calling you out on this to be fair, there are others, we all know who they are.

Thing is, I've spent most of the past 3 years gaming exclusively on the 360, because it caters more to my tastes. I had some excellent times on the Wii though, overall the console had a hell of a lot of Nintendo games released on it, quality ones too.
    The problem I had with with the Wii and Nintendo's approach to the console was that, although the output was great, the variation really wasn't. Too many platformers (albeit, great) and mini game collections. Not a single new, decent IP.

This in my opinion, really needs to change and what really irks me. They take risks with hardware, fine, but they need to just bring out some new IP already.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2013 11:34:44 10,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trouble is, I think the problem here is "wanted it to be".

I don't think that is the problem.

I think the problem is that I wanted what I've *always* wanted in every console I've ever owned = Fun.

That's it - that's all I want. That's all I'll ever want. And they fucked it up.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 15 Mar 2013 11:35:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    heh, wind up merchant
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 11:35:02
    I still think the WiiU looks like an awesome console and a good idea. It has just been executed in the worst possible way by Nintendo and characteristically once again feels like a bottom of the barrel test of the market.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Mar 2013 11:35:26 41,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only came in here because mongo decided to criticise Deckard for pointing out nobody is buying the WiiU.

I'm done, anyway, as Kay says.

• Gambit1977 15 Mar 2013 11:36:06 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You should know the 'sony/microsoft/nintendo' threads aren't safe!
  • Sandbox 15 Mar 2013 11:38:32 339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well as a "curious little Nintendo devotee", I have never told anyone here to "fuck off", nor will I ever.

Really cannot work out what all the fuss is about.

I doubt the U will sell like the Wii, but so what? If it forces N to shove an 90 AMD APU in a box with a Blu Ray in a couple of years then so be it.

They have hardly bankrupted themselves developing this, and given the hardware in the PS4/Next Box, if they have to play catch up, that won't either.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 11:40:37
    Thing is aside from the lead up to christmas i can't see the next gen getting off to the greatest of starts either. Its going to be a slow and tough time for all invovled.
  • Gambit1977 15 Mar 2013 11:44:09 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think one of the other 2 will sell like hot cakes, until MS reveal their hand, we don't know.

Wii U had a HUGE amount of cancelled pre-orders as things changed from the initial announcement.
  • Psychotext 15 Mar 2013 11:47:35 52,802 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    I don't feel a sense of entitlement that they should appease me. I either buy something that suits me or I don't.
    This is the absolute truth. But of course, people also need to realise that it doesn't suit a hell of a lot of people.

So far (and now I've actually played the thing) the Wii U seem all about local multiplayer and fitting in with families who don't have multiple TVs or who want to stay in the same room whilst they're all doing different things.

I can see why this is attractive to some (especially those with kids), but I really, really don't fit that demographic. :)
  • Page

of 1212 First / Last