Wii U Page 541

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 10:23:54 6,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What weapon were you using? I went with the lance on my first attempt and had the same experience. Hated it. In fact i've still not beaten it. Personally, the long sword seems to be the best weapon to use, but i'm still not getting the kill. Underwater is quite tricky, but i've learnt how to read and dodge some of the attacks. I'm not sure if enemies in this game take more damage if you hit them in particular places, but if you get the thing back on ground and can get underneath it, you can kick its ass.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 14 March 2013 10:38:42
    I was using the long sword and got a few hits in. I found myself exiting the area by accident as both this monster and the snow bear thing tend to hang around at the precipice. The fact that the map is so tiny and the cursor so ambiguous really doesn't help matters.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to invert the camera and I can't lock on to the monsters. I press the target on the touch screen but apart from putting a crosshair over the image it seemingly has not practical application.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 10:39:45
    I'm intrigued enough by the premise to persevere but my god the game is doing all it can to put me off.
  • Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 11:05:49 6,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote: I press the target on the touch screen but apart from putting a crosshair over the image it seemingly has not practical application.

Ah. That's only half the action. When you hit the button on the touch screen, you enable target lock rather than use it. Once the crosshair shows up on the icon, hitting L will aim the camera at the monster, rather than having it snap behind your character. You'll be tapping that button a lot, but it's actually quicker than using the right analog stick, I find.

AdamAsunder wrote: I'm intrigued enough by the premise to persevere but my god the game is doing all it can to put me off.

I know what you mean. It's all a bit alien. Nothing in the demo is explained to well. You're just chucked into the deep end and left to figure it out for yourself. Have you played around with the items you have on you? There's items to improve your weapon damage, momentarily, and more effective potions, which make killing the first monster a 5 minute affair at best.

Edited by Raiko101 at 11:09:21 14-03-2013

• binky Moderator 14 Mar 2013 11:17:25 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Question for Wii U owners - and I know this will vary from house to house but...

With the off-screen play, can you manage to play on another floor of your house? My bedroom for instance, is the room above the living room (and where consoles live) would the signal generally be strong enough to reach upstairs?
  • treegreen 14 Mar 2013 11:30:58 103 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    As you say, varies from house to house. I am living in a dorm and can use it in my mates room two floors below me, but other people I know can't use it in adjoining rooms.
  • javvyman 14 Mar 2013 11:40:19 709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @binky Generally for me, more than 2 walls, I get cut-off. I can use mine directly above my living room, in my bedroom, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.
  • Buenos_Estente 14 Mar 2013 12:03:51 268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Somedays I can play in bed which is a one floor up and not directly above the Wii U, however on other days it doesn't work.. not sure why!

I can confirm however it does work on my toilet, so no need to stop to plop (Nintendo feel free to use this as a slogan)

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Kangoo 14 Mar 2013 12:34:36 1,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @binky

I had a nightmare and my bedroom is directly above the console, controller was constantly losing the connection. Sure somebody said it makes a difference if your console is flat or standing up, not sure if there is any truth in it.

PSN: Adwab2

• binky Moderator 14 Mar 2013 12:55:57 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hmm, YMMV then. Ok. It is a good selling point though - one that's hard to prove until you buy one I guess.
  • ryohazuki1983 14 Mar 2013 14:06:40 735 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck it, just ordered one, my son (who is 7) is going to love Lego City, I got New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombieU and Batman.

Happy days :)
  • midi82 14 Mar 2013 14:15:39 673 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have used it in an upstairs bedroom playing AC3, it worked fine most of the time, just the occasional framerate issue, if you can find somewhere it works and don't move it seems to be fine, it's not perfect but if you are kicked out of the living room it's better than nothing
  • roz123 14 Mar 2013 15:32:05 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Need for speed trailer
  • Frogofdoom 14 Mar 2013 15:59:51 888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @binky It works in all of my sons bedroom but not mine. Its weird as they are seemingly the same distance away. It doesnt quite reach far enough for me to crash on my bed though :(
  • Progguitarist 14 Mar 2013 17:55:08 10,444 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, we got rid of the 3 shitty (OMG LOLZ) today and picked up a Wii U. My son is a huge fan of the Lego games and as we've had some rough news I thought I'd surprise him.

The "huge" update took me about 5 mins to download. Was bracing myself for a couple of hours of "is it done yet?" questions.

Is the youtube app usable with the gamepad?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 18:17:11 11,286 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Need for speed trailer
    That seems like a pretty decent ad, see if it actually generates more sales.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• roz123 14 Mar 2013 18:28:50 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    So, we got rid of the 3 shitty (OMG LOLZ) today and picked up a Wii U. My son is a huge fan of the Lego games and as we've had some rough news I thought I'd surprise him.

The "huge" update took me about 5 mins to download. Was bracing myself for a couple of hours of "is it done yet?" questions.

Is the youtube app usable with the gamepad?
    Don't bother with the youtube app, just do it through the browser its much better. You can watch videos on the gamepad or on the TV whilst you carry on browsing with the gamepad
  • DaM 14 Mar 2013 18:32:22 13,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reception is crap in my house - just about in the room above, but nowhere else. Our house was built after the war for army officers, I think it would withstand a nuclear blast. Very thick walls.
  • Syrette 14 Mar 2013 18:47:44 43,531 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    That seems like a pretty decent ad
    Haha, no it doesn't, the non-gameplay bits are laughable.

• RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 18:56:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Utterly awful video, but the game looks ok.
  • Syrette 14 Mar 2013 18:57:13 43,531 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Oh absolutely, decent use of the console's features too.

• ronuds 14 Mar 2013 18:58:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the kid doing while father drives? I watched w/no sound...
  • Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 19:10:33 6,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Altering the game settings at run-time. Changing the time of day, the car being driven, playing with traffic volumes, etc...

Fun-for-five-seconds kind of stuff.

The game looks good though, and supports motion control. :D

• ronuds 14 Mar 2013 19:12:39 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More enticing would be if you could just race against one another.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 19:50:55 11,286 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    For attracting the average Joe seems decent to me.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• DFawkes 14 Mar 2013 20:27:33 22,987 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It certainly seems like an ad designed for the family audience, and for that purpose I thought it was quiet good. It's not who I'd have went for though, I'd have had a guy and his drunk friend randomly manifesting dense traffic just to be a bit of a dick ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 20:42:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear People aren't so stupid as to be attracted by ridiculously cheesy fake banter like that. It's embarrassing!
  • Progguitarist 14 Mar 2013 21:18:17 10,444 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spent a couple of hours with wii u and although its a hit with the boys, the UI is painfully fucking slow! Nice console overall though.

Edited by Progguitarist at 21:18:29 14-03-2013
  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 21:24:25
    Raiko101 wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote: I press the target on the touch screen but apart from putting a crosshair over the image it seemingly has not practical application.

Ah. That's only half the action. When you hit the button on the touch screen, you enable target lock rather than use it. Once the crosshair shows up on the icon, hitting L will aim the camera at the monster, rather than having it snap behind your character. You'll be tapping that button a lot, but it's actually quicker than using the right analog stick, I find.

AdamAsunder wrote: I'm intrigued enough by the premise to persevere but my god the game is doing all it can to put me off.

I know what you mean. It's all a bit alien. Nothing in the demo is explained to well. You're just chucked into the deep end and left to figure it out for yourself. Have you played around with the items you have on you? There's items to improve your weapon damage, momentarily, and more effective potions, which make killing the first monster a 5 minute affair at best.
    Left trigger does absolutely nothing for me even when I've pressed the required section on the touchpad beforehand. The bow weapon is impossible to aim as a result.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last