Wii U Page 539

• Page

of 1214 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 18:24:06
    Psychotext wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    Amazon have dropped the price to 199/250 now as well. Seriously tempted!
    It's been available for less than that at various points over the last month... where have you been? Or is it that you only buy from Amazon?
    I havn't really noticed. But yeah i do mainly buy from amazon. Just ease of use and i never had major issues with them.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 18:26:27
    joelstinton wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    uglygamer wrote:
    The game that could save the WiiU Lego city got a 5/10 in Edge Magazine.
    I think I can strike that off my list then.

Think I'll br continuing to plunder the Wii back catalogue for the forseeable future then.

Monster Hunter and maybe Most Wanted are still possibilities though.
    based on one review? who incidentally gave Lego LOTR and harry potter 6's.

Makes me wonder if it is bad, eurogamer have stuck gold with that saving the wii u headline, fanboys are going to have a field day.
    Cutscenes were the best bit about LOTR, they may have had a point with their six.

Was hoping Lego City would be a little less lightweight. I'll be reading what EG have to say but in general I find Edge reviews most in keeping with my taste.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 18:30:14 11-03-2013
  • alexc7496 11 Mar 2013 20:12:45 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing sonic all star racing this afternoon. I know it is not a system seller or anything but it is so simple and just plain fun.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 21:48:01
    I would really like to return to my Wii U but just dont have a good reason to. Monster Hunter was a possibility this month but Im lacking the fortitude for another RPG having just exhausted 100 plus hours into Ni No Kuni. Doesn't leave much else really :/

Hopefully we get a new Nintendo Direct soon, we need confirmed Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario release dates. I love my Wii U dearly but having no games to play fucking sucks.
  • JinTypeNoir 12 Mar 2013 04:39:52 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can never understand you dolts who buy a platform early in its life and then expect the library to entertain you like a platform that's been out for many years, so you sell it. It's an issue every platform has in its first year, even so-called uberplatforms like the PS2 (heh, its like ancient history how much that thing got torched by gamers until the month GTA3 came out), DS and 360 all had problems catering to every audience early on. It's like the height of stupidity, "Hurrrngh, this launch year is exactly those of umpteen other platforms up to this point."

Either suck it up and buy it, knowing it will have dry spells for a while, or exercise a little restraint and don't buy it at all. Surely if you're on this forum, you probably have a PC, a smartphone and any number of other consoles which can entertain you in the mean time.
  • Phattso Moderator 12 Mar 2013 05:08:26 12,729 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woah woah woah! I know the forum can be quite flexible in the type of language it allows, @JinTypeNoir, but if you're doing do drop the D-bomb then I think we're gonna have problems!

"Dolts"?! Who are you, Indy's Dad in The Last Crusade?!
  • roz123 13 Mar 2013 07:23:18 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently the first game to use NFC is Pokemon Rumble, buy 200yen Pokemon figures to use them in the game

Edited by roz123 at 07:24:11 13-03-2013
  • Darren 13 Mar 2013 15:25:44 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I honestly don't think I'd be tempted at 50. Until there's actually a game I want to play, the price of the console is irrelevant.

Absolutely no trolling, total seriousness. What game do you so desperately want to play on the WiiU that you consider it worth spending 200 right now on?
    Same situation here but I'm a bit more cautious than I would be for any other non-Nintendo system because I found the Wii to be a massive letdown once the buzz of the innovative controller and launch games settled and I realised how few games there were such that it was rarely used. Yes, Zelda Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy were awesome but I'm struggling to remember any other games that were anywhere near that quality.

I really don't want a repeat of that with the Wii U so I'm waiting to see what happens over the next year or two before I even consider buying one. I suspect the console will not be a huge success myself, certainly not like the Wii was, but if it drops to 125 for the 32 GB model... and if it is available in white... and if there are lots of great Nintendo exclusives to catch up then I might buy one. Maybe. That's a lot of ifs though.

Edited by Darren at 15:26:30 13-03-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 13 March 2013 15:31:08
    probably a sensisble option. Anyone on the fence, would probably do well to wait till at least E3. I normally would say give it a years shelf space and decide then.

To be honest the wii had a lot more games going for it than what people like to say. I guess it did get stuck with the no games only shovelware stick which i think is a little unfair.
  • Cappy 13 Mar 2013 15:39:46 11,707 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I waited and got my Wii for 50.

After that I'm not so sure on the Wii U, I just can't take all the faffing around with the controller, the controller batteries are always flat whenever I decide to have a go on the Wii, now the Wii U has an absolute gas guzzler of a controller that I'm supposed let take pride of place on a special charging throne.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Mar 2013 15:40:01 4,700 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A shy over 9,000 units were sold in Japan this week.

It is DOOMED, etc.

One thing raised an eyebrow the other day:

Only three games?!
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 15:43:59
    This Game and Wario game. What's actually known about it?

Smooth moves was a great little game designed around the motion controls of the Wii, I'm guessing Nintendo is aiming for something similar with this one.

In regards to the drought: it's actually been a blessing in disguise for me. On 360 I spent more time buying games than playing them, this is a nice little period where some outside force is mitigating my lack of self control.

As a result I'm close to getting 100% on Mario WiiU and actually enjoying it. Plus I'm only just scratching the surface on Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword. Monster Hunter is looking more and more desirable the more I read about it so I think I'm going to be suitably entertained for the forseeable.

For people that had a Wii briefly or never actually owned one there's actually quite a few great games hidden amongst the piles of dross. I'm looking at picking up PunchOut, Red Steel 2 and the aforementioned Smooth Moves at some point.

Oh, and DKC Returns and if I can get it for a sensible price Metroid Trilogy.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 15:44:50 13-03-2013
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 15:48:59
    Cappy wrote:

After that I'm not so sure on the Wii U, I just can't take all the faffing around with the controller, the controller batteries are always flat whenever I decide to have a go on the Wii, now the Wii U has an absolute gas guzzler of a controller that I'm supposed let take pride of place on a special charging throne.
    When does anyone play a console for more than three hours in a row that can't face having a long ass lead to a separate (probably closer) separate power point for a bit?

This supposed flaw has been a total non issue in reality. I've run out of juice once. The cradle is great as it props up the gamepad as a screen. Great for watching Netflix or using it solely as a screen for BLOPs 2.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 15:56:09 8,789 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:

Smooth moves was a great little game designed around the motion controls of the Wii, I'm guessing Nintendo is aiming for something similar with this one.

In regards to the drought: it's actually been a blessing in disguise for me. On 360 I spent more time buying games than playing them, this is a nice little period where some outside force is mitigating my lack of self control.

As a result I'm close to getting 100% on Mario WiiU and actually enjoying it. Plus I'm only just scratching the surface on Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword. Monster Hunter is looking more and more desirable the more I read about it so I think I'm going to be suitably entertained for the forseeable.

For people that had a Wii briefly or never actually owned one there's actually quite a few great games hidden amongst the piles of dross. I'm looking at picking up PunchOut, Red Steel 2 and the aforementioned Smooth Moves at some point.

Oh, and DKC Returns and if I can get it for a sensible price Metroid Trilogy.
    If you never played the Metroid Prime games I'd make that first priority (price depending).
    Red Steel 2 is loads of fun and pretty too, not a classic but a really enjoyable demonstration of motion control done well.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 15:57:11 8,789 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

When does anyone play a console for more than three hours in a row that can't face having a long ass lead to a separate (probably closer) separate power point for a bit?

This supposed flaw has been a total non issue in reality. I've run out of juice once. The cradle is great as it props up the gamepad as a screen. Great for watching Netflix or using it solely as a screen for BLOPs 2.
    It's a non issue for me also.
    However, Nintendo deserve dogs abuse for their penny pinching with the battery, it's disgraceful.

• nickthegun 13 Mar 2013 16:00:32 56,075 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It may not be an issue in that it doesnt run out over a gamin session but having to dock it every time you use it *is* annoying.

I have to put my 3ds/vita onto charge every time I play it and it ends up that I play it less because I often cant be arsed or forget.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Cappy 13 Mar 2013 16:12:03 11,707 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd have been happier if they'd just made the Wii U pad wired, it's simple solution that means it always does what it's supposed to whenever you pick it up.

Three hours isn't a lot in a real World application where you'll be stopping periodically for various interruptions.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 16:13:20 8,789 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I'd have been happier if they'd just made the Wii U pad wired, it's simple solution that means it always does what it's supposed to whenever you pick it up.

Three hours isn't a lot in a real World application where you'll be stopping periodically for various interruptions.
    Why would that be a better solution?
    if the battery runs out you plug it in and use it wired, simple as that.

• LeoliansBro 13 Mar 2013 16:19:08 41,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    if the battery runs out you plug it in and use it wired, simple as that.
    And if the screen is distracting cover it with a piece of cardboard, simple as that.

And if the multiplayer requires you to buy 100 worth of Wii accessories per minigame, get something like Castle Crashers off XBLA for 10 and play that instead, simple as that.

And if the ports are inferior to games which have been available for months elsewhere play them on the PS3 or 360, simple as that.

And if the releases continue to be average at best, awful at worst and most commonly not to exist at all, sell it before there's another price cut and play on a half decent console, simple as that.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 13 Mar 2013 16:22:22 22,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought I'd leave it a while before giving more detailed impressions on my Wii U, as out of the box on day one I'd probably have still loved it if it killed my family and dissolved my legs.

I just love it. I know it's not a feature that'll please everyone, but being totally independent of the TV has come in so handy. Being able to just pick it up and play around with it at any time is just awesome :) Whether it be other people in my family watching TV, or my niece popping over and wanting to watch CBeebies ,or even just to mess about on Miiverse before I head to work in the morning, having its own screen is every bit as pleasurable to use as I had hoped.

The games are pretty good too. Assassins Creed 3 just uses the screen as a map, but it's nice to have zero clutter on the TV. Not having to pause it all the time to see where I'm heading is a bonus too, as the Gamepad map is larger and less zoomed in than the one that you get in the corner of screen. TV-less play is excellent too.

It's a lot more impressive in Batman though, as they took it a bit further and really made the Gamepad a part of the experience of being Batman by making it your Bat Computer. If enemies are just out of normal audio range but you hack into their radio frequency, their audio comes out the Gamepad. Granted, it's a small thing but it made me smile.

You can use the Bat Computer to access the database, hack into things, activate B.A.T. mode, upgrade your abilities and ping sonar. Batman even taps away at his Bat Computer on screen as you do. I was concerned B.A.T. mode might be too over-powered, but I got past that by not using it. I think you can even side-step having him in his B.A.T. Armour by using a cheat at the start and selecting one of the other costumes (as there are a few from all the GOTY stuff), so the extra stuff is never an issue.

ZombieU I haven't really clicked with yet. I loved the first hour or so, then I died when they invaded my saferoom. Then I died immediately again. I'm not a huge fan of dying in games (or real life, come to that) so that put me off a bit, but the game itself seems pretty good.

It has a certain clunkiness to it that I'm not 100% sold on, though it's precisely the same kind of clunkiness that made the older Resident Evil games grow on me. I can totally understand why it'd put an FPS nut off though which is a shame as in the multiplayer the gun-play is actually pretty satisfying.

NintendoLand is pretty much what I expected, so lots of fun mini-games that are easy to learn and difficult to master. As a single-player experience it's pretty goood, but it really shines in multiplayer. Mario Chase and Ghost Mansion are superb fun with a few players :)

I also bought F-Zero despite never really being a fan of the only ones I played, the N64 and GBA ones, but I'm really enjoying that too. Certainly got my 30p worth out of it already, plus of course playing free of the TV is excellent.

So all in all I'm very happy with it. Sure, there are issues but nothing that really affects me. I still maintain there's not all that much for people that already have other HD consoles so I can understand why people that already have HD consoles (like nigh-on EVERYONE that'd be into gaming enough to visit a forum daily) would have no interest. All that really leaves is being able to play on the Gamepad screen, and you'll already know if that's for you.

It's not a bad console by any means, just one that's most likely redundant for most people here. Not me though :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 16:36:40 8,789 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I thought I'd leave it a while before giving more detailed impressions on my Wii U, as out of the box on day one I'd probably have still loved it if it killed my family and dissolved my legs.

I just love it. I know it's not a feature that'll please everyone, but being totally independent of the TV has come in so handy. Being able to just pick it up and play around with it at any time is just awesome :) Whether it be other people in my family watching TV, or my niece popping over and wanting to watch CBeebies ,or even just to mess about on Miiverse before I head to work in the morning, having its own screen is every bit as pleasurable to use as I had hoped.

The games are pretty good too. Assassins Creed 3 just uses the screen as a map, but it's nice to have zero clutter on the TV. Not having to pause it all the time to see where I'm heading is a bonus too, as the Gamepad map is larger and less zoomed in than the one that you get in the corner of screen. TV-less play is excellent too.

It's a lot more impressive in Batman though, as they took it a bit further and really made the Gamepad a part of the experience of being Batman by making it your Bat Computer. If enemies are just out of normal audio range but you hack into their radio frequency, their audio comes out the Gamepad. Granted, it's a small thing but it made me smile.

You can use the Bat Computer to access the database, hack into things, activate B.A.T. mode, upgrade your abilities and ping sonar. Batman even taps away at his Bat Computer on screen as you do. I was concerned B.A.T. mode might be too over-powered, but I got past that by not using it. I think you can even side-step having him in his B.A.T. Armour by using a cheat at the start and selecting one of the other costumes (as there are a few from all the GOTY stuff), so the extra stuff is never an issue.

ZombieU I haven't really clicked with yet. I loved the first hour or so, then I died when they invaded my saferoom. Then I died immediately again. I'm not a huge fan of dying in games (or real life, come to that) so that put me off a bit, but the game itself seems pretty good.

It has a certain clunkiness to it that I'm not 100% sold on, though it's precisely the same kind of clunkiness that made the older Resident Evil games grow on me. I can totally understand why it'd put an FPS nut off though which is a shame as in the multiplayer the gun-play is actually pretty satisfying.

NintendoLand is pretty much what I expected, so lots of fun mini-games that are easy to learn and difficult to master. As a single-player experience it's pretty goood, but it really shines in multiplayer. Mario Chase and Ghost Mansion are superb fun with a few players :)

I also bought F-Zero despite never really being a fan of the only ones I played, the N64 and GBA ones, but I'm really enjoying that too. Certainly got my 30p worth out of it already, plus of course playing free of the TV is excellent.

So all in all I'm very happy with it. Sure, there are issues but nothing that really affects me. I still maintain there's not all that much for people that already have other HD consoles so I can understand why people that already have HD consoles (like nigh-on EVERYONE that'd be into gaming enough to visit a forum daily) would have no interest. All that really leaves is being able to play on the Gamepad screen, and you'll already know if that's for you.

It's not a bad console by any means, just one that's most likely redundant for most people here. Not me though :)
    Glad you're enjoying it, it should just get better from here on in :-)

• kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:39:28 84,072 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds reasonable. I really like the idea of the gamepad being its own console and lots of what you say really appeals to me.

Sadly I'm a one console kind of guy now, and that current console is the 360, and whatever the next one is will be my one console for some time to come, so the WiiU needs to do a fuck of a lot more than it currently is to become that console.

It still has a chance though, as the whole family thing will be a big deal for me in three or four years time.
  • javvyman 13 Mar 2013 16:40:47 705 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, so my TV has packed in, so i'll be getting my gaming done on the Wii U instead of the 360/PS3 for the next month at least...

So what else has good off-screen play, other than AC3, Sonic Racing, Darksiders 2, BLOPS2? as I don't want to buy them again...
  • DFawkes 13 Mar 2013 16:44:54 22,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Batman has it and it works fine. It's actually easier than on AC3 as it's right there in the pause menu. AC3 makes it less obvious. That's the only one you've not mentioned that I've played with my own hands.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Raiko101 13 Mar 2013 16:52:41 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Little Inferno, Nano Assault and Trine 2 and Zen Pinball 2 all have off-screen play. As does New Super Mario Bros U.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• javvyman 13 Mar 2013 17:00:07 705 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions, already played Batman AC, not interested in ME3 or Tekken Tag. I'll just have to make-do with F-Zero, Pinball and NSMB.

I think i'll buy NFS : MW if I can get it for anywhere near 25...
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2013 17:03:43 56,075 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

Glad you're enjoying it, it should just get better from here on in :-)
    Good post. Some reasonable points there.

He totally called it

• Cappy 13 Mar 2013 17:15:22 11,707 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Why would that be a better solution?
    It reduces the cost and improves long term reliability of the controller, those batteries only get worse with use, especially if they're cheap and nasty.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2013 17:18:41 56,075 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But then you cant play it in the toilet, one of the most requested pre-release features.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 13 March 2013 17:19:42
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    A new trailer came out yesterday.. its bananas.

• Page

of 1214 First / Last