Wii U Page 536

• Page

of 1365 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 15:42:03 44,416 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is true, I forgot about the price drop. So how much would it cost to play NSMB? Let's be generous and say I only want to play single player.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:43:35 60,136 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To extend that metaphor, things quite often die when they are in hibernation as they failed to prepare properly for it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 15:45:18 44,416 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A hibernation is deliberate to survive through a barren spell.

This is Nintendo's one chance to make hay while the sun shines (and the PS4 is unreleased). This isn't hibernating, this is a coma.

• roz123 8 Mar 2013 15:47:47 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It is true, I forgot about the price drop. So how much would it cost to play NSMB? Let's be generous and say I only want to play single player.
    £222 from Asda
  • RyanDS 8 Mar 2013 15:47:57 9,433 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    That applies to 3rd party ports which no-one gives a shit aboutt. The interest for Wii-U is Nintendo 1st party games and other exclusives .
    Of which there is one. A side scrolling platformer.

Well worth £450.
    Again, this is another amazingly low expectation. How the hell did 'we dont care about the lack of third party, we only buy it for nintendo games' become acceptable? Its just amazing.
    The N64. 3rd party support for any Nintendo machine since has been fairly bobbins. You buy a Nintendo console you know what you're getting, only the most deluded would believe EA/Activision would make the Wii U their lead development platform or anything similar based on past experience.
    That's awful though as a business. Basically you are relying on an obsessive core that will stay every generation, while at the same time alienating any new purchasers who are not aware of the history.
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:52:20 709 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think at this point in time, sales numbers don't mean too much.
    If the console had a shedload of quailty first party / third party titles for it during the next holiday, and it still sold poorly, then we could consider the system on life support.
    To say Nintendo have not prepared to come of this dry spell just lacks foresight and hindsight as history suggests all Nintendo platforms have had similar if not worse barren spells, sometimes further into their lifespans.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:56:08 60,136 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, excuses coming from low expectations

• javvyman 8 Mar 2013 16:05:16 709 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, i'm using history as a barometer, my expectations are clearly high, but the reality of the situation is that the system has yet to see it's best games, just like ANY system that has just been launched.
  • Bremenacht 8 Mar 2013 16:09:43 18,458 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's an exceptionally rosy view of it's current situation.

I'm of the opinion that it'll do better later and Nintendo will survive, but for this year, it's in a terrible position. Nintendo had a chance to gain a big chunk of the new console market, and completely blew it.
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 16:21:28 709 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed, games are coming, but i'm optimistic simply because nothing has been announced for beyond this summer besides a handfull of titles.

Whether announcements are forthcoming, or developers just aren't biting is still up in the air. One thing is for certain though, the system can still have a good year, providing the best games don't slip to next year.

Personally, I think Nintendo are paying for the fact that they've been investing so much time into the 3DS over the past year, to it's benefit and the Wii U's detriment.
    Things certainly didn't look like they would be this way at launch, as the buzz was decent, and there was a steady line-up.
    If it had sold consistent numbers, developers would be lining up a whole manner of ports, original titles etc.
    But right now, with the currrent economical climate, developers are only commiting themselves to a sure thing.

I personally think either MS of Sony are going to get badly burnt by the other, there's just no room for both next gen consoles, especially if they are both going to be priced high and do similar things.
    This is where the Wii U could potentially come into it's own by offering something unique.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 16:35:49 44,416 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Indeed, games are coming, but i'm optimistic simply because nothing has been announced for beyond this summer besides a handfull of titles.
    Unusual thing to say.

They haven't announced the WiiU to be free by Christmas and come with a solid gold Rolls Royce either. Should I be cautiously hopeful?

• Ziz0u 8 Mar 2013 16:35:52 8,392 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
  • AceGrace 8 Mar 2013 16:39:34 1,132 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Game sales are still in the doldrums in the UK. Look at the big releases that came out in February. Accoridng to MCV, the total sales across all formats was about 250,000

That is pretty poor and seems to point to the idea that Gamers are getting bored with sequels. See the slightly impressive chart position of Ni No Kuni as a barometer for this. Niche JRPG does OK sales.

Throw the Wii U into the mix and it points to boredom and lack of funds. The PS4 & 360 2 will be affected by this.

Edited by AceGrace at 16:40:16 08-03-2013

Edited by AceGrace at 16:41:04 08-03-2013

Edited by AceGrace at 16:41:40 08-03-2013
  • Raiko101 8 Mar 2013 16:48:02 6,341 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, can we all agree that the console has had a very poor launch, in terms of hardware sales and the severe lack of original titles being released in the opening 6 months, but that there are people out there, like myself, who are still enjoying their purchase, have a number of games to play through, some more to look forward to over the year and a number of potentially decent games on the horizon?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Bremenacht 8 Mar 2013 16:48:39 18,458 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amen.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2013 17:18:29 902 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Uk gamers in pretty skint shocker. People have less expendable money at the moment and are far less likely to drop £40-50 on a game when the cost of everything is rising. Im far more choosy over the games i buy at the moment compared to the start of the 360's life cycle.
  • Sandbox 8 Mar 2013 23:51:12 339 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well. Wii U. It's been sweet for while, wife is a MarioHead so this was an automatic purchase. Caused much glee. Then Lego City. I did a little bit of wee. Then my son who has about as much love for Nintendo as nuns do for cock, suddenly downloaded the Monster Hunter demo, and promised to wash my car for a year if I buy it, now this is all fine, but if I don't get F Zero or Star Fox they can suck the foul moistness from my balls.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 9 Mar 2013 00:10:27 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So the line now is that the sales are bad because very one is skint?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 9 Mar 2013 00:10:44 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    *everyone
  • treegreen 9 Mar 2013 00:39:25 103 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What on earth are retro doing? That's what I want to know.
  • Sid-Nice 9 Mar 2013 00:40:28 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    When the Wii U launched the majority of early adopters knew or had a reasonable idea of what the console was capable of. The “On a par with current generation” or “Struggling to match 7 year old technology” statement could apply to every new console generation in comparison to the previous gen.

The Wii U architecture has more in common with the PS4 and next Xbox consoles than the PS3 and Xbox 360. The early Wii U multiplatform ports are basically the Wii U emulating old technology; how many console to PC ports actually take advantage of the hardware? Not many and in some cases the lead platform visuals (7 year old technology) look better than a top of the range PC version.

I could understand the negativity towards the lack of software for the Wii U if I didn’t have such a good memory; both the Xbox 360 and PS3 suffered games droughts and the old “Gathering dust” cliché applied to both consoles shortly after launch. The negativity towards the Wii U operation system would be justified if the current gen had offered a better OS from day one.

People have short memories and the consoles they are championing didn’t have huge games libraries or were trouble free from the onset. How many of the PS4’s USP’s will be available at launch? What will be the failure rate of the new Xbox console and what colour will the ring of death be this time round?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sandbox 9 Mar 2013 01:27:52 339 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Umm, well as PS4 and sex box are rocking that high core AMD tablet chip, doubt Ninty are not worrying too much about spec wars. Not that they ever did.

I am a huge AMD fan, but you had better learn some clever threading stuff if you want to get anything decent out of that CPU, regardless of your DDR 5, and fancy GPU, something the games industry has not excelled at so far, shit, it's only this month that Tom's hardware has put a quad core as a budget choice for a gaming PC. That's how fucking retarded gaming programming is. The only app more shit is iTunes, which still struggles to make use of more than one core.

As are as N goes, we will see their usual shit but in HD, which is just fine. As most developers cannot afford to even fill the current gen with pixels, we are in a different world now, we have to do more with less, budgets are cut, you had better think thin if you want to make money.

Anyway, all they have to do to secure sales is release some Pokemon and Animal Crossing goodies and they will be eating cake. Plus regardless of how they milk the poor bastard Mario is still the most profitable IP in the gaming industry.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 9 Mar 2013 01:57:49 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    When the Wii U launched the majority of early adopters knew or had a reasonable idea of what the console was capable of. The “On a par with current generation” or “Struggling to match 7 year old technology” statement could apply to every new console generation in comparison to the previous gen.
    I'm sorry but that is utter nonsense
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Mar 2013 02:01:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RyanDS Hence the change in strategy to producing machines that appeal wider than that core audience. You can hardly say DS or Wii replied only on the Gamecube audience!
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 08:34:42
    While I'm not particularly worried about the games drought at the moment it would have been nice if Nintendo had more actually ready for the launch window.

However as someone that never played much Wii I'm enjoying catching up. Mario Galaxy 2 is absolutely amazing, I can't wait to see what they do on the WiiU to follow it up, it's going to take some doing.

My next purchase is going to be DKCR, it looks fantastic from what I've seen. With Prime and this Retro are proving themselves to be the Rare of old.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2013 08:55:19 902 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So you are telling me that people arent actually skint then Jazzy?
  • nickthegun 9 Mar 2013 09:00:57 60,136 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heads up people, Higgins is back. This thread is about to get a whole lot stupider.

• Ziz0u 9 Mar 2013 09:07:07 8,392 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    lol "heads up"
  • Psychotext 9 Mar 2013 09:07:15 54,301 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    So you are telling me that people arent actually skint then Jazzy?
    Doesn't seem to be affecting the millions of ipad (etc) sales. Also, while sales are down on the whole in the UK, sales are disproportionately down for Nintendo vs it's competition.
  • addyb 9 Mar 2013 09:11:21 1,057 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well i bought a Wii U a week after launch and looking back i should of just waited 12-18 months until it had more choice game wise. I've not really touched it in the past 2 months besides the odd game of zen pinball 2.

Lego city doesnt really appeal so at the moment just pikmin 3 and rayman later this year.

Ahh well will see what the future holds. I've got plenty to play on the ps3 and pc so will just go back to the Wii U as and when the games arrive.
  • Page

of 1365 First / Last