Wii U Page 530

• Page

of 1211 First / Last

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 07:41:05 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'Crisis' is overplaying it. The Lib Dems are in a crisis. Facebook just set their IPO too high.
    Fair enough, but it's surely not helped by all the stuff that's come out about the habits of social gamers, Zynga jumping ship and the seemingly never-ending security and privacy problems.

Edited by darkmorgado at 07:41:40 05-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 5 Mar 2013 07:47:43 41,844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's their growth strategy and revenue streams they need to worry about, plus they need to be very careful about their handling of IP.

But none of this is really anything to do with the WiiU being better. It's as if a console has a limited amount of 'focus' or something and so Nintendo should be applauded for putting all that into games (where are they btw?). It rather neatly sidesteps that they put none of their 'focus' into hardware performance. Or OS functionality.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 07:52:11 801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember desperately waiting for fight night round 3 to release on the 360 as it had bugger all worth playing at launch as well though. I avoided the ps3 for quite a while before buying as nothing really took my interest. The wii u launched with some cracking games its just a shame that most of them had already been played by everyone.
  • treegreen 5 Mar 2013 08:58:41 103 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @darkmorgado
    I would have totally agreed with you four months ago, but I have loved the way miiverse has been integrated into the wiiu. Taking that a step further with facebook and twitter doesn't interest me personally, but I bet there will be lots of people who find it a great addition.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:07:48 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Bullies 1 Bean Head 0: You must be so proud of yourselves.
    Deleted users still show, banned users vanished so, no.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:10:41 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    @darkmorgado
    I would have totally agreed with you four months ago, but I have loved the way miiverse has been integrated into the wiiu. Taking that a step further with facebook and twitter doesn't interest me personally, but I bet there will be lots of people who find it a great addition.
    I'm undecided on Miiverse. When I first tried it it seemed great, particularly in how it provides an at-a-glance look at the most popular games at any point in time and an instant portal to discussions about it. The heavy-handed moderation leaves something to be desired though.

However, the Miiverse is very games-focused. Sony seems to be positioning itself somewhere in between Miiverse and a full-on facebook type of sphere, and god knows what Microsoft is up to, but with its increasing focus on Kinect, social media apps etc It seems fairly safe to suggest they're going to carry on in that direction next gen.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• binky Moderator 5 Mar 2013 09:11:38 9,236 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How does miiverse work exactly? Is it a random selection of people, or just a friends list?
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:11:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's as if a console has a limited amount of 'focus' or something and so Nintendo should be applauded for putting all that into games (where are they btw?)
    Where are the games for any console within the first couple of months of release?

On the horizon, that's where.

Edited by darkmorgado at 09:12:05 05-03-2013

• LeoliansBro 5 Mar 2013 09:13:41 41,844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So how's the pipeline looking for Nintendo then. The horizon is a bit deserted, which was kind of my point.

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:14:25 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    binky wrote:
    How does miiverse work exactly? Is it a random selection of people, or just a friends list?
    It's everyone, quite literally. You have a separate friends list, but when you boot up Miiverse, you see crowds of little Miis all gathered around the most actively played games at that point in time. You can then select those games, which takes you straight to a page with everyone's comments on it.

It's sort of reminiscent of facebook - you have your own front page where you can post status updates and things which can be seen and commented on (and "liked") by friends, and each game also has its own page similar to how we have tv shows, games etc with their own pages on FB now.

• kalel 5 Mar 2013 09:15:27 83,805 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We are now approaching the 5th month of its lifetime btw, so not sure the whole "first couple of months" thing can still be used.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:15:36 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem is, nintendo released the Wii U like they usually do, like most consoles have done but the market has moved so far on from that its not even funny.

The Vita launched with one of the best libraries in history and look how that did. The two new ones are going to have to launch with absolutely stellar games to prise people away from their ps3s and 360s, something that the Wii U didnt do. It couldnt even prise people away from the wii.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:17:37 05-03-2013

He totally called it

• Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 09:16:31 25,341 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's basically To Catch A Predator in cartoon form.

Called it

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:18:43 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So how's the pipeline looking for Nintendo then. The horizon is a bit deserted, which was kind of my point.
    Bayonetta, Wonderful 100, Monster Hunter, Assassin's Creed 4, Watchdogs, Dragon Quest, Pikmin, Rayman etc off the top of my head. I think Criterion said they're working on something too.

There's bound to be a Zelda and Mario in the works too, among other 1st party stuff.

Fair enough the release schedule does look a bit sparse at the moment over the next year, but I'd argue that until E3 has been and gone it might be a bit premature to declare it a barren desert when it comes to developer support/ software lineup given that so far it's still in launch window. I'd wager a guess that a lot of publishers are holding off announcements until E3.

And I still think that we might see an uptake in stuff once the next gen hits, as publishers choose to save on dev costs by sticking to current gen technology.

• binky Moderator 5 Mar 2013 09:20:22 9,236 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @nickthegun Agree 100% with this. Nintendo could and should have marketed the Wii U a lot better from the start, but I really don't know how much that would have saved the machine from the poor sales it's currently generating just because of the way the landscape is different now.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:22:20 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, from the news thats trickling in, the Wii U is already getting dreamcasted. Its probably a safe bet that companies that were going to announce at E3 probably wont now as they can their Wii U titles.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:27:34 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What news is that?

I remember people saying exactly the same thing about the 3DS when that came out, that the technologically superior Vita would destroy it at market, that the console was doomed, it had no software etc etc.

And now a year later it has a large software library, is dominating the handheld space and the Vita is on life support.

Even the Gamecube, which is often considered to be lame duck in terms of Nintendo's console success, still generated a healthy profit for them despite never really attracting the sort of numbers enjoyed by the other 2 hardware companies.

If there's one thing I've learned about gaming over the years is that if most people are declaring a console to either be dead or the next big thing, you can normally guarantee the opposite will happen.

Edited by darkmorgado at 09:28:33 05-03-2013

• Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 09:27:36 801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have a feeling the ps4 wont fly of the shelves either though. People really are finding out they dont have as much disposable income as they used to. By the time you have bought the console a second pad and another game you are probably looking at close to 500.

Some will ofc have no issue with it, but looking at my circle of friends who all own one of the existing consoles i couldnt see any of them adopting at that kind of price (or even 100 less which is the best case scenario). Although we are all late 30's with families and mortgages so our finances are probably a bit tighter, but thats still losing them sales.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 09:31:43 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Frogofdoom

Totally agree. I think Sony (and Microsoft) are going to have a bit of a shock.

For Sony in particular, given the estimated costs of the PS4 (both to the consumer and in manufacturing terms), it could potentially be what drives them out of the industry.

ATM, given what we know about the PS4 and the Next Xbox, I can't help but think "Well if they're just basically underpowered PCs in an overpriced console box, why shouldn't I just use my PC?"

• LeoliansBro 5 Mar 2013 09:34:02 41,844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes but I'd rather buy a risky console that has a genuine leap in tech under the bonnet than a risky console that is outperformed by a 6 year old console I already own.

And so, it seems, would everyone else.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:36:25 05-03-2013

• Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 09:39:23 9,538 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    System update according to the front page...

30mb, so expect your wii u to be out of action for most of the day.

Edited by Gambit1977 at 09:40:02 05-03-2013
  • Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 09:39:27 25,341 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Both consoles will sell shit loads. Mark my words. Shit loads. The Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the landscape, the marketing, the confusion about what it is, the muslims, or anything else you'd like to put on it. It's not selling because it's under powered, overpriced and has no games for it. Also the wii, despite selling a frankly mind boggling amount, was a bit shit, so people are naturally going to think this will be shit. From the minute it was announced it was clear it was going to struggle.

Called it

• Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 09:40:21 801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The thing is though it doesnt outperform it, the nfs port clearly shows that as they have managed to use the pc assets. It isnt a huge leap however even when programmed properly. However when you launch with the titles they did you dont get to see any improvements, just fun based games and sloppy ports.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Mar 2013 09:41:48 8,743 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Both Mario Kart and the next 3D Mario will be playable at E3 so surely at least oen of them will be out this year.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• kalel 5 Mar 2013 09:42:25 83,805 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    If there's one thing I've learned about gaming over the years is that if most people are declaring a console to either be dead or the next big thing, you can normally guarantee the opposite will happen.
    You've basically named the exceptions to the rule, but to say the opposite is guaranteed to happen is nonsense. There have been far more examples of consoles that seemed doomed to fail and then did, then there have been ones that turned it around.

Nintendo have a lot of goodwill in the bank and a lot of fans, and that generally means their consoles will always eventually do ok, but that group gets less and less all the time. I also think handhelds are a completely different market and one that Nintendo have always dominated. What has happened with the 3DS means very little for the WiiU.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:48:00 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    What news is that?
    The half dozen articles in the last month, all saying the same thing.

'We were working/would work on a wii u version but nobody gives a shit about it'

See yesterdays Crysis 3 article for more details.

He totally called it

• Cappy 5 Mar 2013 09:48:12 11,702 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Publishers play a large role in generational transitions, it's hard to dig in and ignore the new platforms when everybody else is raving about the new shiny things and all you've got left in the pipeline is sports games.

For at least the last two generational transitions publishers left money on the table and abandoned the existing user bases faster than necessary because they see it in their long term interest to do so.

PS4 and X-Whatever will be bolstered by publishers moving with them, versus the Wii U which required serious investment just to get developers and publishers back to where they were in 2006. The Wii U release schedules are testament to developer and publisher unwillingness to make that investment.

Nintendo should have offered more support, rather than tightening the purse strings so early, if they'd at least offered Ubisoft a massive advertising campaign or something they could have kept Rayman Legends as an exclusive for six months.

No doubt they will fight back with a brace of third party exclusives that are guaranteed to annoy people, or possibly not, who cares if Resident Evil 7 is exclusive these days?

Edited by Cappy at 09:50:18 05-03-2013
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 09:51:08 9,538 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Both Mario Kart and the next 3D Mario will be playable at E3 so surely at least oen of them will be out this year.
    I'm bookmarking this mate...if they're not...you will be found :lol:
    I think Nintendo are just keeping their cards close until E3 to offset the big reveals from Mcrosoft and Sony otherwise they'll be completely overshadowed.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 09:54:04 801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Update took under 3 minutes btw, you must have short days
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 10:00:03 9,538 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Update took under 3 minutes btw, you must have short days
    :lol: Well it was 30mb...to be honest, I remember the hoo-ha about the launch update and mine took about an hour, if that.
  • Page

of 1211 First / Last