Wii U Page 528

• Page

of 1347 First / Last

• Lt_Drebin 4 Mar 2013 09:02:01 143 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Having had a weekend to play about with my shiny new console I have to say that I utterly love it. The ui needs speeding up but it makes such a nice change from the 360 and ps3 setups. I particularly like that when I turn it on I am not greeted by film or music adverts. It feels like a pure games console and I've missed that with the other two machines. The community seems to be surprisingly friendly too!
  • jellyhead 4 Mar 2013 10:08:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seven hours playing Sonic All-Stars yesterday.
    If you are in the mood for a Kart racer, pick this up.

My worry with LCU is load times. It's not going to set the world afire but as long as it's not a "loading" message mess i'll be getting it.

I hope Nintendo put out an OS patch soon too. It is a bit slow moving between apps.

@Sid-Nice Beat you by .29 of a second on the last Mirror Cup in Sonic :p

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Sid-Nice 4 Mar 2013 13:16:03 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't played Sonic All-Stars for a while; I remember my first bash online and I was doing nicely in second place until harriselhoff blasted me up the arse (twice) and I ended up in 6th place.

NFS Most Wanted and LCU will be my next 2 purchases; hopefully NFSMW will retain the original gameplay elements as well as the additional dumbed down “Father and Son mode.” I’m expecting big things from Lego City Undercover; the Eurogamer review will be 9/10 but I’m a bit sceptical as EG always add a couple of points for UK development Studios.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:32:36
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-asda-shears-50-off-wii-u-console-prices

Major price cuts already.
  • beastmaster 4 Mar 2013 13:39:05 11,190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Aargh.

I don't think it'll make that much of a difference. General public still don't really know there's a new console out there. Compare it to Sony's latest reveal. They just showed off the controller but everyone knows that there's a Playstation 4 coming.

Will be interesting to see what happens as a result of this. I'm still not tempted.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:40:34
    It might help it get to £100 by Christmas when they're desperate to make more shelf space.
  • ElNino9 4 Mar 2013 13:41:37 13,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They'd have to knock at least another £100 before I was even tempted.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Bremenacht 4 Mar 2013 13:55:47 17,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    I particularly like that when I turn it on I am not greeted by film or music adverts. It feels like a pure games console and I've missed that with the other two machines.
    That's a pretty good selling point, I think.

I do like the idea that when I buy a games console I get a games console*, rather than a fecking shop window.

*Ok - a games console without many games, ha ha, but we've been there done that.
  • RobAnybody 4 Mar 2013 14:04:20 881 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    They'd have to knock at least another £100 before I was even tempted.
    I'd be happy to pay the current price IF they released a truly excellent follow-up to Super Mario Galaxy.
  • kalel 4 Mar 2013 14:08:27 86,409 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    General public still don't really know there's a new console out there.
    Has this been adopted as the official line for the failing of the WiiU then? Seeing it trotted out an awful lot.

Is there any evidence backing the claim up?
  • alexc7496 4 Mar 2013 14:48:58 1,777 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think there is some good evidence pointing out that the public not fully knowing know there is a new console out there.

I brought a Wii U last week and love it as do my kids but the two things that stick out for me are a) My local Asda don't sell the Wii U and or any games for it. Tesco do but only a small section, is this general for all Asda's B) A lot of stores are just putting in with their Wii stuff. For your average Joe Bloggs who doesn't read game mags and go on websites they might not have a clue there is even a new one out there. C) This is backed by the amount of friends and family whom I have spoken to and said 'I got a Wii U' and the common response it, 'What's that, just the Wii?'

All these things add up, a real big title could push it back in favour as I really love the machine. I fully trust Nintendo to pull it out the bag. Just look at the 3DS, that had very average first year and it has some great games now!!!
  • Cappy 4 Mar 2013 16:22:14 11,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wii U has plenty of 'presence' out there in the sorts of places you expect to see games.

The reason you aren't seeing the Wii U getting picked up across the board by supermarkets is a general retreat from the games market, they're not going to take on new formats. Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's all have reduced shelf space devoted to games and are more concerned with clearing existing stock and exiting than getting new stock.

The Wii U isn't selling because it's not a competitive product, it doesn't offer much in the way of utility that can't be performed better by cheaper products.

Retreat behind the belief that Nintendo is waiting to rescue the Wii U is the final bastion, I think Nintendo decided to save the 3DS and let the Wii U hang for the time being, Nintendo are very Japanocentric and would rather protect the strong home market for the 3DS than take risks elsewhere. The Wii U is a risk, currently costs will be higher than the PS3 and 360 for equivalent products.

Hence a console game Luigi's Mansion losing it's sequel to the handheld, Nintendo don't have a history of stoically taking it on the chin when their formats flounder, instead they turtle and divert projects elsewhere or cancel outright. Somewhat similar to a child going off in a sulk and taking their ball home with them so nobody else can play.

Fans will get their two or three games a year and tell everybody they're well catered for and don't need anything else anyway. No matter how well the Wii U does, year three or four will be the cut off where they decide they've spent enough money on support and stop greenlighting most projects anyway, even the Wii got that treatment.

Edited by Cappy at 16:31:20 04-03-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Mar 2013 16:27:56 10,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It doesn't have plenty of presence and never has had, in all the major game retailers it had a pitiful presence from day one, if any.
    Nintendo made a complete and utter arse of it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Cappy 4 Mar 2013 16:37:27 11,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only demo 'pod' in the nearest branch of GAME to me is for the Wii U, I can't even recall the last time I saw a demo pod there, maybe it was the Dreamcast.

They far outnumber demo stations for the 360 across all the stores I've visited, what more do you think they should be doing? Grabbing customers and giving them the timeshare seminar treatment?

Wii U is simply not a competitive product. End of story.

Edited by Cappy at 16:38:50 04-03-2013
  • Raiko101 4 Mar 2013 16:48:27 6,081 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It'll find it's feet eventually. Seeing as i've invested in one, naturally I hope this is the case, but as has been said before, the DS and 3DS each had slow starts and once the games came, so did the sales. It wont appeal to those who crave the graphical bump, but I imagine we'll see more than enough decent games in it's lifespan.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• binky Moderator 4 Mar 2013 16:51:04 9,448 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    The only demo 'pod' in the nearest branch of GAME to me is for the Wii U, I can't even recall the last time I saw a demo pod there, maybe it was the Dreamcast.

They far outnumber demo stations for the 360 across all the stores I've visited, what more do you think they should be doing? Grabbing customers and giving them the timeshare seminar treatment?

That's the opposite to what I've seen though, so it's obviously not consistent around the UK.
  • Blaketown 4 Mar 2013 17:01:53 4,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I've not seen a Wii-U pod.

Still just 360 & PS3 pods in Game/HMV near us. And a 3DS pod in Toys R Us.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Armoured_Bear 4 Mar 2013 17:02:19 10,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

That's the opposite to what I've seen though, so it's obviously not consistent around the UK.
    The opposite from what I've seen too.
    In Switzerland there was zero pre launch promotion, posters etc.
    Completely nothing.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• colinmac 4 Mar 2013 17:04:34 730 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've yet to see one running in store - both the two Game and a Gamestation store near enough me to visit don't have a demo unit! Never did either...

It' definitely wasn't marketed aggressively enough - and sadly, I think they've (stores/Ninty) squandered their lead time to market. ...

Shame. I'd have been a prospective customer too but without seeing the goods and fumbling with the controller etc, it's off my radar now....

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• Sid-Nice 4 Mar 2013 18:14:25 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You just have to look at the PSVita sales in the build up to Christmas; Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified (boosted by the bundle) entered the All Format Chart at No34, to see that the average console purchaser doesn’t have a clue. People that I’ve spoken to lately (actual gamers) still have no idea that the Wii U exists.

Even people who have heard of the Wii U still think it is an add-on for the Wii. People are so thick that they’ll go out and spend £80 on a weighing device (Wii Fit) yet they are unable to comprehend that the Wii U is a new console. “What do you want a Wii U for Tommy when you already have a Wii?” “I’m not giving them greedy bastards £300 for a tablet controller, just wait until they sell the controller separately.”

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 4 Mar 2013 18:21:36 58,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least with the wii fit it was perfectly obvious what it did. It had a viable usp which the wii u clearly doesn't.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Sid-Nice 4 Mar 2013 18:42:26 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii U has plenty of unique selling points; or should I say "The Wii U has plenty of undiscovered USP."

NNID Sid-Nice

• beastmaster 4 Mar 2013 18:51:34 11,190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel

No, none whatsoever but everyone keeps saying this, so it must be true :-)

But they should make it so clear that it's not just just a new controller that even a cross-eyed giblet would be able to see it's something different.

Other possible theories

1. That it's not selling because people who bought a Wii thought it was shit and have tarred anything Wii related with the same brush.
    2. Not powerful enough
    3. Too expensive

Have the price cuts been extended to the games as well?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 19:27:21
    nickthegun wrote:
    At least with the wii fit it was perfectly obvious what it did. It had a viable usp which the wii u clearly doesn't.
    Also as well the tech behind the machine is pushing up the price of a console which people see as a 360/PS3 With a tablet controller.

People cant really see the expense of the very good streaming tech that is in the pad.

And the wii control method and usp was clear. that being said i know a few people that once plqying nintendoland and using miiverse have been really impressed. nintendo need to find a way of marketing that.
  • spamdangled 4 Mar 2013 19:29:40 27,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They really should have bundled Nintendoland to be honest. It could have been the WiiU's version of WiiSports.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 4 Mar 2013 20:25:13 58,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They really should have made a wii u sports to be the new wii sports.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 21:01:34
    kalel wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    General public still don't really know there's a new console out there.
    Has this been adopted as the official line for the failing of the WiiU then? Seeing it trotted out an awful lot.

Is there any evidence backing the claim up?
    My brother came round at the weekend and had no idea what a Wii U was or does. Unlike my mates he has more than a passing interest in games so Nintendo really need to sort that. He left very impressed as did my mates so it's Nintendo's reach that's failing.

When the Wii was imminent Nintendo had reps at Game stores showing how it works, did this not happen this time round?

I love my WiiU but Nintendo have really dropped the ball with their communication.
  • Sid-Nice 4 Mar 2013 21:02:44 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Penis snooker would be good using the Gamepad screen.

NNID Sid-Nice

• macmurphy 4 Mar 2013 21:10:31 999 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo always did have a really good promotions team. They hammer all the big exhibitions with nice stands, lots of pretty young promo types giving hands on to all the mums and dads that go to stuff like the ideal home show and stuff like that.

They tend to be quiet in the winter but really pick up in the Summer season.I'm sure it will be the same this year. I think you're right, I'm not back in the UK much but the WiiU seemed really anonymous at Christmas when I was.

It's not beyond redemption and most people on here seem pretty happy with their purchase. It still seems like it will be great as a family and local multiplayer box, almost regardless of how well they do at getting third parties on board.

Wii Fit U should help, hopefully it will get into more homes. Will definitely be picking one up as soon as I get back.
  • DFawkes 4 Mar 2013 21:12:08 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry to bring this question up again as I remember seeing it about a MILLION (well, 5 or so but I don't count very well) times on launch day but I'm too lazy to flick back and google brings up yes and no as answers depending on the source.

Does Nintendoland require Wiimotion Plus for games other than Metroid Blast? I'm fairly sure that one will, but most of the rest shouldn't, right?

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Page

of 1347 First / Last