Wii U Page 487

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• yupyup 18 Feb 2013 11:48:14 3,680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't forget to mention it has the 1GB patch downloaded in your seller's description, that's got to be worth a fiver more at least.

Hands Off Our Penises

• javvyman 18 Feb 2013 11:52:56 708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed, they should just ditch the Basic SKU, pointless and doesn't actually sell through a high enough proportion.
    People want value, which is why most have been going for the Premium.

As far as price goes, scrap the basic, sell the Premium black on it's own.

220 with NL game, sub 200 without. So a 50-70 price cut basically.
    The problem is, this is not going to make a shred of difference right now, as there are not enough games to support the reduction.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 11:57:23
    I was thinking that earlier, a premium pack on its own would knock a small amount of the price and at least it gives people another option.

This goes for the vita price cut as well, i think people tend to forgot these machines are being sold, over here at least, as lowest margin as possible. I don't think thats the case for the premium, but for the basic it is. People expecting massive cuts are being a bit unrealistic in there guesses.
  • kalel 18 Feb 2013 12:03:59 86,798 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Profit margins are irrelevant if you don't actually sell the things. It is better to sell at a loss in fact, than to not sell at all.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 12:06:22
    thats a fair point, never thought of that!
  • PhoenixFlames 18 Feb 2013 12:15:02 8,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well based on your feedback, I've listed it on fleaBay with the pro controller and will sell the game separately.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• javvyman 18 Feb 2013 12:15:02 708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel

A sound argument, but it doesn't quite apply to the Wii U yet as it's had 1 poor month out of 3. If it has a sustained level of poor performance, then a price cut has to be applied, even if it's at a loss.
    Thing is, when Nintendo were forced into this position with the 3DS, it got a whole lotta bad publicity. Bad publicity, I don't think the Wii U can recover from.
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2013 12:21:15 11,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As with most consoles the first few months of sales are the most dedicated fans, what we're seeing here is an adjustment to the actual level of demand for a new Wii.
  • Progguitarist 18 Feb 2013 12:56:23 10,412 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the Wii has hurt Nintendo's reputation amongst gamers and I think it's a little too late for them to recover from that damage at this point.
  • THFourteen 18 Feb 2013 13:16:17 33,098 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a long game, and i think they'll be fine tbh. A bit like the 3DS, slow to start will pick up later as software comes out.

Its not like they will have anotehr new console in the next 5 years.

People get all excited about first month sales figures thesedays because thats what Apple harp on about, but apple stuff comes out twice a year, so the sales are compressed into a few months
  • illage2 18 Feb 2013 13:21:03 2 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The WiiU has potential.
  • kalel 18 Feb 2013 13:24:25 86,798 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I think the Wii has hurt Nintendo's reputation amongst gamers and I think it's a little too late for them to recover from that damage at this point.
    Not really. People have very short memories with these things, and each new gen is a bit of a fresh start.

Had Nintendo released a new console that was a serious power house and looked the absolute tits compared to the current gen, and ZombiU had jaw-dropping proper next gen graphics, then hardcore gamers would have forgotten about the Wii in seconds.

However, yes, releasing something that's sort of a bit like the Wii but better graphics, but still not "next-gen" and without the funny controller but with a different funny controller, and maybe still the old funny controller, but not for casuals, except most of the launch games which actually are kinda casual...

Yeah, that wasn't the right move.
  • javvyman 18 Feb 2013 13:27:37 708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow... I think the Wii U's going to be alright guys, it just has to be after that epic first post... :)

Edited by javvyman at 13:28:05 18-02-2013
  • Aretak 18 Feb 2013 13:30:30 10,350 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Its a long game, and i think they'll be fine tbh. A bit like the 3DS, slow to start will pick up later as software comes out.
    The revival of the 3DS was largely down to a significant price cut rather than any astonishing must-have games being released. I think a similarly-drastic slash will be needed to spark the Wii U into life, but I have my doubts about whether they can afford to given they're already selling the hardware at a loss.
  • kalel 18 Feb 2013 13:33:26 86,798 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think comparisons with handhelds are a bit apples and oranges to be honest. There's parallels but it's a different market with a different audience. What works to sell a handheld may very well not work to sell a home console.
  • DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 13:36:33 22,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    The revival of the 3DS was largely down to a significant price cut rather than any astonishing must-have games being released.
    Bit of both really, though the price cut same first, then the games came. Not sure what's on the horizon for the Wii U so I've no idea if they'd manage to pull that off again, so if they do have some stuff on the way they really need to do a bit more of a sing and dance about it :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 18 February 2013 13:41:57
    Sales are going to be poor through till end of march. Theres nothing out till then. Then we have Lego, monster hunter and need for speed in roughly the same week. I think lego and monster hunter will shift a few units between the two of them, but not much.
  • Aretak 18 Feb 2013 13:44:16 10,350 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think comparisons with handhelds are a bit apples and oranges to be honest. There's parallels but it's a different market with a different audience. What works to sell a handheld may very well not work to sell a home console.
    I'd say the revolutionary 'knock a third off the price' marketing strategy is going to work in just about every scenario to be honest. I think most people would have been a lot more forgiving of the Wii U's flaws had it launched 75-100 cheaper than it did, which of course it would have without the silly controller. For all the waffle about the potential of that thing, IMO it'll ultimately be remembered as the biggest mistake Nintendo made with the Wii U.

Edited by Aretak at 13:44:44 18-02-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Feb 2013 13:48:51 3,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On a personal note, i defended the Wii U at launch. I was very happy with it, i really enjoyed ZombiU and NSMBU, the MiiVerse and the eShop were both welcome additions and, generally, it seemed like Nintendo had taken a massive step in the right direction.

However, with all the games i got at launch now finished and seemingly nothing else due out any time soon, i am becoming a bit frustrated with Nintendo - they seem to have completely lost interest in the WiiU.

Obviously, when Bayonetta 2, Lego City, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 come out i'll be very happy that i own one, but until then.......its packed away in the cupboard.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 13:51:49 22,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're alright if you're like me and don't have another HD console, but I'd be willing to bet that's a really small number of users. Even then, there's still a 360 in the household.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:52:12 18-02-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Bremenacht 18 Feb 2013 14:08:06 17,687 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The lesson here seems to be 'Don't be an early adopter of Nintendo products'.
  • Raiko101 18 Feb 2013 14:10:53 6,176 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Aretak As with the original Wii, the controller is the reason I bought one. Well that and for Nintendo's exclusives. Without it, it would have just been another Xbox or PS3, which would have been far less interesting.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jellyhead 18 Feb 2013 14:26:12 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    ... unless you like Nintendo games and have other machines to keep you occupied in the inevitable and predictable droughts.

Whoever buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games is weird and/or a newbie to gaming.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• nickthegun 18 Feb 2013 14:38:25 59,341 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it not a bit weird that people should actually *have* that attitude?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jellyhead 18 Feb 2013 14:57:09 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When have Nintendo been any different? Certainly not recently.

Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Everything else that gets released is gravy. It's how i look at it anyway. If you don't like Nintendo games, don't buy a Nintendo console.

It's not rocket surgery.

• JuanKerr 18 Feb 2013 15:01:34 36,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is rocket surgery even more complicated than rocket science?
  • jellyhead 18 Feb 2013 15:02:41 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's up there with Brain Science for sure.

• nickthegun 18 Feb 2013 15:03:17 59,341 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    When have Nintendo been any different? Certainly not recently.

Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Everything else that gets released is gravy. It's how i look at it anyway. If you don't like Nintendo games, don't buy a Nintendo console.

It's not rocket surgery.
    Thats verging on helsinki syndrome.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jellyhead 18 Feb 2013 15:04:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *shrugs*

It is what it is.

You meant Stockholm Syndrome. Yes?

Edited by jellyhead at 15:05:18 18-02-2013

• kalel 18 Feb 2013 15:05:10 86,798 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    ... unless you like Nintendo games and have other machines to keep you occupied in the inevitable and predictable droughts.
    I stil don't really understand how you've benefitted from early adoption.
  • Page

of 1354 First / Last