Wii U Page 482

• Page

of 1415 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 13:24:09 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The WiiU is dead. Any revised version will have to contend with the Orbis and the Durango. The WiiU is underselling like crazy against 6 year old hardware, who would buy one when the real next gen is here in a year's time?

Nintendo are best off taking this out to the back yard and shooting it in the head, then coming through with something bigger and better in 24 months' time. You could argue that given the cost cutting with things like the battery and the lack of advertising spend, and the absence of a release pipeline, that they've already done this. Given a userbase estimate that's shrunk by a quarter in the first 5 months their projections must be pretty dire, so why throw money away on it?

Edit: I love Nintendo. This is not the best they can do.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 13:28:09 15-02-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Cappy 15 Feb 2013 13:29:11 12,120 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mothballing the Wii U too fast would damage third party relations even further, see Sega.

Then there are all the current projects still in the oven, Nintendo definitely aren't averse to canning things or putting them on the backburner for years but they must have three years worth of releases planned and in the works currently. That's a lot of investment to walk away from.

They could definitely repurpose projects but it's still a loss.
  • oceanmotion 15 Feb 2013 13:29:45 16,129 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killing it early is a bit Sega risky.
  • javvyman 15 Feb 2013 13:37:53 718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun Same old response, cherry picking one fucking comment, and basing an argument against me on it. Can you even fucking read?

The quid example was not meant to be taken literally, the point that I was clearly making was that there are 2 very different markets out there, and the only way they will converge is if everybody, including MS, Sony, Nintendo and every ambitious third party jumps ship and starts making games for this theoretical box.

But let's entertain the idea for your benefit for a minute shall we? Apple release a decently powered gaming box. The certainties are that it will do digital only content, be revised every 6 months to become slightly more powerful, have a shitload of me-too pick up and play games that undercut more expensive games.
    How is that a condusive environment for developers other than Activision and EA, or even consumers for that matter? You think consumers want to upgrade their hardware every year just to play the latest releases? How pissed would people be if they spent 30 quid on COD only to be told a year later that they had to upgrade their hardware a year later to play the best version?
    A stable development environment is vitally important for making the very best games and staying loyal to early adopters, something Apple do not give a fuck about because they're a hardware company first and foremost.
  • JuanKerr 15 Feb 2013 13:39:28 36,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    How pissed would people be if they spent 30 quid on COD
    Depends on how many beers they'd had.
  • mrpon 15 Feb 2013 13:42:07 29,590 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's one Crazzeeee Taxi driver.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Armoured_Bear 15 Feb 2013 13:45:31 11,938 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    By the end of the year it could have a fairly solid software lineup with the following games out or imminent:

Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    Bayonetta 2
    Mario Kart
    Mario 3d game
    New Retro title
    Wind Waker HD
    Yoshi
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
    Wii Fit U
    Wii Party U
    X
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Those are just the ones we know about, there should be more at E3 and other Nintendo Directs.
    Itís not mind blowing but with a price drop and a full on marketing drive it should be able to do far, far better than just now.
    At the moment itís looking like another Gamecube but to be honest, Iíll be quite happy with that.
    As long as I get plenty of good 1st party stuff Iím happy.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deckard2 15 Feb 2013 13:51:20 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personally I'm still getting loads out of Launch Title X, and with Mediocre Game Y and Late Port Z on the way I don't see myself stopping any time soon!
  • Syrette 15 Feb 2013 13:55:26 44,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking forward to playing Mario Kart on my PS4 in a couple of years time.

• LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 13:56:21 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want to see a 3rd party release that is a) simultaneous, b) worth playing, and c) best on the WiiU.

Until then I won't be convinced it's worth having. And they've only really got a year for that before the window closes with me buying a next gen console.

• JuanKerr 15 Feb 2013 13:59:05 36,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll need a pretty powerful magnifying glass to read the text on the X Box 720 if you don't get a new telly.
  • Bremenacht 15 Feb 2013 13:59:21 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    At the moment itís looking like another Gamecube
    It isn't, but I agree with everything else you write. 5 or 6 noteworthy games (rather than the 'this'll do' stuff that comprises most of what's currently out), a price cut and some buzz, and it might do a 3DS.
  • oceanmotion 15 Feb 2013 14:04:35 16,129 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm amazed Nintendo could fuck it up so badly. What were they doing the last 5 years. Online account systems particularly, it is 2013 ffs and not a new thing. Also, all those classic games to sell digitally but they are clueless once again, deliberately, who knows. Is getting it right actually a bad thing for them.
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 14:06:05 61,349 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    blarp
    A) You still dont really know what im talking about and are continuing to miss the point

B) The last part is a completely different point to anything you have been making so far

C) Thanks for taking part

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• malloc 15 Feb 2013 14:20:09 2,392 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surely it's far too early to claim success or failure. They've been lazy with marketing but then don't have much to market, hence the high price. More games will come combined with a price cut and marketing.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 14:25:18
    javvyman wrote:
    @nickthegun Same old response, cherry picking one fucking comment, and basing an argument against me on it. Can you even fucking read?

The quid example was not meant to be taken literally, the point that I was clearly making was that there are 2 very different markets out there, and the only way they will converge is if everybody, including MS, Sony, Nintendo and every ambitious third party jumps ship and starts making games for this theoretical box.

But let's entertain the idea for your benefit for a minute shall we? Apple release a decently powered gaming box. The certainties are that it will do digital only content, be revised every 6 months to become slightly more powerful, have a shitload of me-too pick up and play games that undercut more expensive games.
    How is that a condusive environment for developers other than Activision and EA, or even consumers for that matter? You think consumers want to upgrade their hardware every year just to play the latest releases? How pissed would people be if they spent 30 quid on COD only to be told a year later that they had to upgrade their hardware a year later to play the best version?
    A stable development environment is vitally important for making the very best games and staying loyal to early adopters, something Apple do not give a fuck about because they're a hardware company first and foremost.
    Apple have only released an update of a product 6 months after the previous version once in the last decade or more. Devs seem quite happy working in that environment.

There's no reason to believe they'll do yearly updates with significant hardware changes.

Apple aren't a pure hardware company. They aren't Dell, they make software and a huge amount of their income comes from sales through their stores.

Why would devs only target the latest version of the hardware? They don't do that now on other Apple stuff? Why would it be in their interest, let alone the consumers'?

In short the only thing you got right there was digital only and who cares.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 14:28:12
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    By the end of the year it could have a fairly solid software lineup with the following games out or imminent:

Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    Bayonetta 2
    Mario Kart
    Mario 3d game
    New Retro title
    Wind Waker HD
    Yoshi
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
    Wii Fit U
    Wii Party U
    X
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Those are just the ones we know about, there should be more at E3 and other Nintendo Directs.
    Itís not mind blowing but with a price drop and a full on marketing drive it should be able to do far, far better than just now.
    At the moment itís looking like another Gamecube but to be honest, Iíll be quite happy with that.
    As long as I get plenty of good 1st party stuff Iím happy.
    So 4 sequels, 6 that might as well be remakes/are remakes and whatever Wonderful 101 and X are?
  • LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 14:28:40 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    You'll need a pretty powerful magnifying glass to read the text on the X Box 720 if you don't get a new telly.
    Yep :)

Course, I'll need a new telly altogether if I want to play on a WiiU as they don't work with CRT sets.

• Raiko101 15 Feb 2013 14:34:53 6,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @LeoliansBro So you'll buy a Wii U when a game becomes available that you can also buy on your 360/PS3, but performs better? Besides asking why, are Sonic All-Star Racing, Trine 2 and NFS Most Wanted not worth playing?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 14:38:37 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raiko, it would be because I can see that the WiiU has third party support at least on a par with existing consoles, rather than hosting knock-off sub standard ports with unwanted extras (like Arkham City and, I suspect, NFS). Trine 2 has been around for a year already on the 360 and Sonic is 30% more expensive on the WiiU.

• javvyman 15 Feb 2013 14:40:52 718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

Still struggling with the most basic comprehension then. The last part is point that correlates with everything i've said so far.

You've been making the point that the iOS market has changed gaming, I agree it has, people can now buy casual games for cheap, some good, some shit. They don't have to pay £30 on a game and then take it home only to realise it is a turd and regret the outlay.

This is all well and good, but what I have a problem with is you constantly championing it's success as the be all and end all of gaming, which is what i've been talking about.
    I understand your point that developers will will make games for whatever is popular, granted, but there are clear as day limitations on such devices. There is clearly a market for big games and small games on both consoles and mobile.
    The key difference is, consoles are designed with the sole intention of providing big ambitious gaming experiences, low budget titles as well as indie games. Whereas an iOS box as you mentioned would not be condusive for larger scale projects as there is no platform stability.
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 14:51:43 61,349 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats not what you have been saying at all. Its a point you have just jumped on in the last five minutes and one that is so nebulous as to be funny.

Im not saying an IOS console is the be all and end all, it may never happen but the way games are made, marketed and sold has changed forever and nintendo dont seem to have noticed, but the general public have.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• javvyman 15 Feb 2013 15:05:22 718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Aargh.

Apple have only released an update of a product 6 months after the previous version once in the last decade or more. Devs seem quite happy working in that environment.
    The trend has been getting more consistent recently, in just over 2 years they've released
    an Iphone 4, 4S, 5 with new revision just around the corner
    an Ipad 1, 2, 3rd revision and 4th with mini.

The latest Iphone and Ipads do not run the latest optimised games very well, which is fine if the game costs a few quid. If it's £20-30 on the other hand, you're gonna feel pretty shitty about your 2 year old investment, and that doesn't even factor in the people gettig burned buying the box just before a hardware revision.

There's no reason to believe they'll do yearly updates with significant hardware changes.

Eventhough that's exactly what they base their business on?

Apple aren't a pure hardware company. They aren't Dell, they make software and a huge amount of their income comes from sales through their stores.
    I'll give you that to an extent.
    Apple may make software, but only for their own devices, which is entirely self-serving to drive the sales of their hardware

Why would devs only target the latest version of the hardware? They don't do that now on other Apple stuff? Why would it be in their interest, let alone the consumers'?
    Because that is what Apple would be banking on to drive the very latest hardware revision. You think they revise their hardware for no reason?
    As for the benefit of optimising to the latest hardware, may I point you in the direction of PC.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 15:06:21 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't seen so much text saying so little since the last weeaboo love-in hosted by JTN.

• javvyman 15 Feb 2013 15:41:29 718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

You made the point that an iOS box would have a siginificant impact, i've been making counter arugments since then.
    My point is there's a clear market for bigger budget games and smaller budget games, but that bigger budget ones would not succeed on an iOS box because the platform is not stable enough for big investments from developers.

People as you say are happy to play the cheap and cheerfull, but when people want to play something a little more expansive or ambitious, they won't be able to find it on that particular ecosystem, because that's not the audience it caters to. The watershed moment would be if a big budget title was released on an iOS box like device, and it sold big numbers.

What is a problem for Nintendo right now, as well as Sony and MS, is the price of lower budget titles, they are indeed sold at too high of a price and it is damaging their public perception.
    The difference in price is often justified, but the percception is still hard to shake.
    If they could find a way of communicating that, or having a structure whereby only the biggest bugdget games are sold at the appropriatly high price, that would help.

There no doubt the content is better on consoles, just the prices are in need of a serious overhaul.

Edited by javvyman at 15:41:56 15-02-2013
  • LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 15:43:30 44,966 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    My point is there's a clear market for bigger budget games and smaller budget games, but that bigger budget ones would not succeed on an iOS box because the platform is not stable enough for big investments from developers.
    Erm...

This hasn't been your point until just now.

• Psychotext 15 Feb 2013 16:07:19 55,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    They should just go software only already. It'll save people having to splash out on a shit console for the 1 or 2 good games they release every year.
    I wish they would. There are some Nintendo games I'd love to play but there's no way in hell I'm buying another Nintendo console... at least not before there's enough titles to make it worthwhile for me (I've made that mistake twice now).
  • javvyman 15 Feb 2013 16:12:41 718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

Fuck me, i've been saying that iOS would not succeed with bigger budget games. I've constantly been banging on about how the iOS market is different to the dedicated console market because it will not attract big budgets.
    Which is why there's room for both, but that the pricing structure needs an overhaul on consoles.

Look at these words -

The only thing that needs to change is pricing. I agree that developers should not be charging 30-40 quid for shit games, which is where the console makers have the step in and make a change.
    And this point about bigger budgets and stable development environments -

Apple release a decently powered gaming box. The certainties are that it will do digital only content, be revised every 6 months to become slightly more powerful, have a shitload of me-too pick up and play games that undercut more expensive games.
    A stable development environment is vitally important for making the very best games and staying loyal to early adopters
    Oh and this -

There is clearly a market for big games and small games on both consoles and mobile.
    The key difference is, consoles are designed with the sole intention of providing big ambitious gaming experiences, low budget titles as well as indie games. Whereas an iOS box as you mentioned would not be condusive for larger scale projects as there is no platform stability.

I really don't like quoting like that, it's obnoxious, but the situation called for it.
  • Page

of 1415 First / Last