Wii U Page 473

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2013 23:08:39 8,748 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Joystiq article

Since the tail end of 2011, a core team of engineers at Criterion has been working with the Wii U. The final hardware launched in November, and Criterion started to scratch its collective noggin and figure out how it would work for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

This meant missing the Wii U launch, but Criterion Games' Alex Ward was fine with that during a preview session last week – if Need for Speed: Most Wanted had been at launch, it would've lacked all online functionality.

"The reason we didn't do the game for launch is because the online side of it wasn't very clear to us," said Ward. "We weren't sure how much we could do online or how it was going to be, because obviously Nintendo were making a lot of changes up until their run-up to launch. So we didn't want to bring the game out at launch on Wii U with no online play."

The extra time was not spent in vain, something that became obvious once Most Wanted was up and running on a television. The Wii U port pulls in the PC assets and immediately sports a much longer draw distance and better frame rate than its console cousins. Having played my fair share of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the work that went into this Wii U version was clear – and not just in graphical fidelity, either.

"When we got the final hardware in November, we started to look at it, to really experience it, and start to think that just a port isn't going to cut it. Like we'd be embarrassed if we didn't do anything extra; putting something out, any team could do that."

It was during this period that the studio came up with the idea of a "father and son" mode, officially called Co-Driver in-game. It's a type of co-existence, featuring a touchscreen menu of gameplay options, where two players can both contribute to the game and take over driving duties on the fly. Cops hassling you? Use the WiiPad to disrupt their pursuit and let your buddy get away. Night blindness? Switch it to daytime. Don't want all that pesky traffic in the way during the next race? Turn traffic off.

These are basic wingman types of assistance that the GamePad can employ at any time, but the most useful is being able to switch rides. Outside of the Wii U, the Easy Drive menu makes it fairly painless to jump into another car, but you've got to take your eyes off the road and navigate through a few menus to hop in your preferred whip. Now a pal can do it for you while you concentrate on beating your friends' speed trap time.

This is the head space that Criterion was looking to get into, where Nintendo envisioned this console as a group living room experience. "Wii U to us means two or more people together on a sofa. It's not enough to have the game running on the GamePad screen. "Wii U is about playing together. Wii U is about sharing that experience with everyone else who is in the room, so you've got to entertain that entire living room."

Co-Driving itself feels like a natural fit for the Wii U. An icon interface allows WiiPad holders to switch settings with a simple tap. Of course, it's not only great for assistance, but also a potent fuel for griefing because, at the touch of an icon, both players can have control of the car at the same time. So why not slam on the brakes during the last lap of a grueling race? It would be practically irresponsible not to!

Need for Speed: Most Wanted will support every peripheral for the Wii U, so if you want to drive using the WiiPad, Wiimote and Nunchuk, the Pro Controller or even just the Wiimote by itself, you can. The game also supports motion controls so if you've been dying to break out that Mario Kart wheel again, it's entirely possible.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U is the entire stock Most Wanted game, plus the Ultimate Speed Pack DLC. It pulls up to the starting line on Wii U in North America March 19, and in Europe on March 21.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Progguitarist 14 Feb 2013 00:59:15 10,316 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aliens: CM is rumoured to be postponed "indefinitely".
  • Sid-Nice 14 Feb 2013 02:16:08 15,810 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Aliens: CM is rumoured to be postponed "indefinitely".
    So Randy Pitchford wasn't lying after all "The Wii U is the definitive version." It is a shame the game wasn’t canned prior to the piss poor reviews. Reading the doom and gloom Wii U hate articles claiming “Top third party developers aren’t making games for the Wii U” would have made great reading.

NNID Sid-Nice

• B0rked_Gamer 14 Feb 2013 03:20:07 1,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZHA58-_2Eg

Seriously what the hell happened. The old demo looked on another level. I fucking hate Pitchfork.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2013 07:49:29 8,748 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another vid

• Deckard1 14 Feb 2013 08:24:26 25,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know your consoles fucked when ecosse starts breaking out videos from a slightly enhanced 12 month old Need For Speed game. "PURCHASE VINDICATED. We did it guys we won."

Called it

• javvyman 14 Feb 2013 09:58:32 705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes because everybody knows 4 months actually equals 12 months...
  • jellyhead 14 Feb 2013 10:28:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry Deckard1 but i'm looking forward to it too.
    Does that make me a bad person also?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Mola_Ram 14 Feb 2013 10:34:07 6,245 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    You know your consoles fucked when ecosse starts breaking out videos from a slightly enhanced 12 month old Need For Speed game. "PURCHASE VINDICATED. We did it guys we won."
    Why are you here? You don't appear to be very interested in the console, less than highlighting doom and gloom to get a rise out of ecosse or whoever.

Surely your time would be better spent reading a thread about something that interests you.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:38:54 14-02-2013
  • Deckard1 14 Feb 2013 10:37:03 25,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where?

Called it

• Zizoo 14 Feb 2013 10:37:54 7,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Why are you here?
    For the lulz
  • jellyhead 14 Feb 2013 10:39:33 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago

• Deckard1 14 Feb 2013 10:39:47 25,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll stop now. Blame ecosse, he made me like this.

Called it

• Deleted user 14 February 2013 10:39:52
    Is this Randy Pitchfork some sort of sexy weapon?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2013 11:05:39 8,748 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Guys, it's best to put deckard on ignore, I have long ago.
    He's a pathetic, trolling manchild who is so utterly desperate for attention that it's laughable.

• LeoliansBro 14 Feb 2013 11:07:02 41,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ecosse of course is the expert when it comes to pathetic, trolling manchildren.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ResidentKnievel 14 Feb 2013 11:14:21 5,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish to know more about your ignore list, ecosse, you never talk about it.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deckard1 14 Feb 2013 11:15:28 25,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only troll Nintendo because of my hatred for you ecosse you vile, slimy jelly necked turd.

As I said though, I'll leave it now. You guys can get on talking about all the upcoming releases /parting shot

Called it

• Razz 14 Feb 2013 11:15:47 59,994 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't find anywhere to preorder NFS most wanted the only place I've seen it is Amazon and it's priced at £50 o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2013 11:21:49 8,748 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I can't find anywhere to preorder NFS most wanted the only place I've seen it is Amazon and it's priced at £50 o_O
    38 quid at the hut

• MrSemprini 14 Feb 2013 11:35:21 9,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    Is that Wii U Need for Speed game by Criterion? I was really impressed at how well they optimised Burnout Paradise on 360 and PS3 - heck, even the PC version runs brilliantly on my Shite-o-matic old PC.

So if it's them, I have high hopes for a well optimised port. Though I'd settle for playable.
    there is a bloke on another forum I post on who has been working on this. He says that, on paper, the wii u should be the best version. But also that he doesn't actually think that is true. At all.
    link?
    No link as it's a reg only site but you can have a quote (which is possibly the same as Jazzy_Geoff is referring to):

in *theory* the Wii U version is the best of the consoles, cos it's got extra stuff added in, and virtually nothing taken away from the main consoles (multiplayer dropped from 8 to 6 cos the Wii U can't handle multiplayer at all). We've got a touch screen map and some co-driver navigation stuff on the GamePad so you can play it co-op in a way, but it's fairly limited. We've got Miis and Mario homages and stuff (green pipes you drive into and get little mario kart cars). It's got some of the DLC from the consoles built in as standard.

But...I'm still not convinced. It's been a very, very haphazard project to work on, and I think that's probably a common story for a lot of these Wii U games. If you've got both consoles I'd still be tempted to buy the 360 one. But maybe I just don't like the Wii U.
    It's the overwhelmingly positive experience of developing on it that really shines through.
  • Razz 14 Feb 2013 11:36:58 59,994 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    38 quid at the hut
    Cool website! Cheers!

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• javvyman 14 Feb 2013 11:47:22 705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrSemprini Very unlikely that the quote even originates from an actual development source.
    A: It is very unprofessional, unlikely a member of the actual development team would say something like that unless they have an underlying hate for Nintendo.
    B: It's clearly not a haphazard project to work on going from the article on the front page - to quote "There's a switch in our build pipeline that says 'use PC textures' and we flipped that and that was all," Hamadi laughs. "I can take no credit for that, it was literally ten minutes' work... we are using PS3/360 geometry. It's just the textures we upgraded."
    C: The Co-op play is not limited in the slightest and you can from the vids that it's alot of fun, like a batshit crazy debug mode, and they've still got more they can add.
  • ResidentKnievel 14 Feb 2013 11:47:44 5,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    £20 on other platforms

• jellyhead 14 Feb 2013 11:53:59 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not definitive on the other inferior platforms though.

• mrpon 14 Feb 2013 11:56:02 27,645 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched some of that NFS gameplay vid, you can turn off the traffic? Isn't that err...cheating?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• ResidentKnievel 14 Feb 2013 11:57:12 5,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True that, except PC.

Although if you can wait a month after launch it'll probably be £20 on the Wii U, too.

• PhoenixFlames 14 Feb 2013 12:03:30 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just in case you're not reading the other threads, I'm offering my Wii U for £250, posted to you by Saturday.

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• roz123 14 Feb 2013 12:09:58 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    £20 on other platforms
    Pfft, do the other versions let you pointlessly change the time of day mid race? I don't think so.

Edited by roz123 at 12:23:40 14-02-2013
  • MrSemprini 14 Feb 2013 12:10:46 9,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    @MrSemprini Very unlikely that the quote even originates from an actual development source.
    A: It is very unprofessional, unlikely a member of the actual development team would say something like that unless they have an underlying hate for Nintendo.
    B: It's clearly not a haphazard project to work on going from the article on the front page - to quote "There's a switch in our build pipeline that says 'use PC textures' and we flipped that and that was all," Hamadi laughs. "I can take no credit for that, it was literally ten minutes' work... we are using PS3/360 geometry. It's just the textures we upgraded."
    C: The Co-op play is not limited in the slightest and you can from the vids that it's alot of fun, like a batshit crazy debug mode, and they've still got more they can add.
    Could well be, it's the internet and not unknown for people to be a little less than honest when it comes to posting. Take this with a similar pinch of salt from the same source:

The Wii U has some nice components, and some absolutely awful ones.

In our game, out next month, the textures are the highest resolution of the consoles. but that doesn't really matter much when the CPU stutters and the cars glitch around from time to time because the rest of the console can't handle it. the Wii U is like amazing track tyres and a nitrous injection system attached to a soap box derby car.
  • Page

of 1212 First / Last