Wii U Page 452

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 17:33:25
    Youthist wrote:
    Open questions to coerce thought / troll in editorial is a bit journo daily mail wanker approach though is it not?
    Or it could be seen that they're just trying to engage the audience. Accusations of trolling get chucked about far too easily.

I don't think EG are above a bit of poking the fire, but they usually stick to perceived moral issues rather than backing a particular horse in the hardware race.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 17:37:51 87,734 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seriously think it's a valid question. The WiiU has got off to a very bad start, and it's completely reasonable to ask whether it's already doomed.

You can say the answer is no, but you can't claim it's biased or sensationalist journalism to ask the question in the first place.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 17:43:47
    The doom and gloom stories make for sobering reading for anyone invested in the system but I think there's real potential with the console, there are some excellent looking games on the way.

For me, the true test will be the 3d Mario game in development. Galaxy really showed that Nintendo still had the chops to make amazing, unigue games. If the new installment doesn't match that level of creativity then I'll be concerned.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 17:45:51 29-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 17:45:06 44,264 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's certainly potential. Whether that will ever be realised is another thing entirely.

Perhaps a better question was 'Does the WiiU have time to reach critical mass before it is eclipsed by the next gen?'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Murbal 29 Jan 2013 17:45:43 22,223 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So it's fine to say it about the Vita but as soon as it's a Nintendo console?
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 17:47:42 11,279 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I seriously think it's a valid question. The WiiU has got off to a very bad start, and it's completely reasonable to ask whether it's already doomed.

You can say the answer is no, but you can't claim it's biased or sensationalist journalism to ask the question in the first place.
    How can any console possibly be doomed after 2 months?
    Especially from the biggest console manufacturer in the world.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 17:48:26 11,279 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    You can say it about anything, but after 2 months it is stupid.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Murbal 29 Jan 2013 17:53:17 22,223 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    You can say it about anything, but after 2 months it is stupid.
    I agree. But as a Vita owner I'm grateful they've posed the question here too :-)
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 17:56:31
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    There's certainly potential. Whether that will ever be realised is another thing entirely.

Perhaps a better question was 'Does the WiiU have time to reach critical mass before it is eclipsed by the next gen?'
    Yeah, definitely. I totally understand that I've taken a gamble and whereas I decided to jump in I know others may not. That's not good from a business sense, you don't want possible customers to feel like they're gambling.

What did it for me was the fact that pretty much everyone of the recently announced games interest me, no matter how predictable and I know now that Nintendo are committed to making them at least. Coupled with the fact that I really like the concept behind the console and I like the launch games and the prospect of finally playing some potentially excellent titles from the Wii back catalogue.

I have without doubt been as much of a critic as anyone on the crazy design decisions of the Wii U and Nintendo's lackadaisical attitude towards online but I see great gaming experiences with the WiiU, albeit potentially short lived.

A price drop along with a big release followed by a steady stream of software should see the boat put right. Nintendo absolutely have to support the shit out of the console now to attract other publishers and also communicate the console far more effectively to potential users than they have done up to now.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 18:00:31 29-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 17:58:39 44,264 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why are Nintendo committed to making games for this?

• kalel 29 Jan 2013 17:59:14 87,734 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    kalel wrote:

How can any console possibly be doomed after 2 months?
    Especially from the biggest console manufacturer in the world.
    If something is doomed, it's doomed. The very word implies its demise is inevitable, so time passed is irrelevant. A year, 2 months, before it's even come out...it doesn't matter. If it's doomed it's doomed.

Dreamcast, Jaguar, Saturn...all doomed more or less from the start, and all from big boys. I don't even need to mention the likes of the N-Gage or Gizmondo or CDi, all of which came from big companies (well, apart from Gizmondo).

As for whether Nintendo could do this, they have - Virtual Bot, 64DD...arguably even the Cube.

It's a valid question and article. This is one of those times when your personal bias is making you all defensive and fanboyish.
  • MoGamer2006 29 Jan 2013 18:00:13 975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Aargh

Look, I'm not saying the Wii U has had an amazing launch. But it's all about software, ultimately. I haven't actually got a Wii U yet, but I know I will one day - when the big hitters come. And I'm sure many will do the same.

And as for the new machines... They're not going to be cheap at launch, plus software will be expensive to make and take longer to develop. I can be you now a game won't cost less than current Xbox/PS3 ones either.

I think anyone expecting major new releases on a week-by-week basis from launch is going to be sorely disappointed. Publishers will dip their toes but, as with all launches, it'll take time for a steady stream to form.

There's also the issue whether anyone but the hardcore will be able to see the value in the upgrade - I think many will find it hard to see the graphical uplift - but that's a whole other issue...

In short, I don't think that the success of the next Xbox/Playstation is a given. I certainly think they'll do okay, but will that be enough to give publishers the return they need to make more games?

It's a scary time for everyone.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:03:29
    Murbal wrote:
    It's fine to question both. Both consoles have found it hard since the explosion of smart phones and tablets. I think it's going to be interesting seeing what happens after the new MS/Sony consoles launch. Then we may get a clearer picture on how the Apple generation has affected traditional gaming consoles. The economic downturn has surely played its part. The news points to a triple dip.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 18:06:49 29-01-2013
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:08:59
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Because by not committing themselves to it they will do greater damage to their reputation in the long run.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 18:10:06 44,264 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The WiiU isn't a direct competitor to tablets and smartphones though. It is failing for different reasons.

• LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 18:12:23 44,264 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Because by not committing themselves to it they will do greater damage to their reputation in the long run.
    Or they quietly brush this ill timed console under the carpet and produce something to shout about further down the line. Looking at the cost saving and corner cutting they seem to be doing just this.

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:19:22
    I wish they would have just made a good spec machine and spent those years getting plenty of software ready, working with loads of third parties.

I would like to play a Nintendo game again but I'm not buying a console to do nothing but play Nintendo games with shitty gimmicks, 500 controllers and none of the online innovation/features that has been emerging from the others.

They thought they could make a Wii 2, forgetting that the old people that liked the first are dead/uninterested in them enough to know why they want a new machine, the young people just not caring because by now they've moved onto 360s/PS3s and/or iPads.

It was predictable as soon as it was announced. The marketing and actions since have done nothing to change it and they've lost any first mover advantage they had.
  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 18:22:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's only one console/handheld I can envision being tossed in the bin - and it isn't the Wii U. Nintendo doesn't have the luxury to just scrap a product.
  • ED209 29 Jan 2013 18:23:29 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nah i think it will do alright. The other next gen consoles will have to be amazing to justify an upgrade, which means expensive, so they'll be slow burners and people itching to spend some money on new toys (but not loads) will plump for the wii u.

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:28:37
    ED209 wrote:
    nah i think it will do alright. The other next gen consoles will have to be amazing to justify an upgrade, which means expensive, so they'll be slow burners and people itching to spend some money on new toys (but not loads) will plump for the wii u.
    Not really. Upgrading from 7 year old mediocre tech to current mediocre tech won't be that expensive, it's the same thing that happens every time. They sell at a loss, Nintendo sell at break even/profit as they use whatever was lying around at the time.
  • Progguitarist 29 Jan 2013 18:29:53 10,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    Eh? How did you come to that conclusion?
  • markyHD 29 Jan 2013 19:19:04 455 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never underestimate parental buying power. Next christmas, if both Durango and Orbis are out, at their predictably high RRP's (i'd estimate 350+!), all it takes is a mariokart wii u bundle for 199 and they'll mop up the family buyers and likely many hardcores who were holding off for good games.

3DS vs Vita all over again I think

Edited by markyHD at 19:19:36 29-01-2013

Edited by markyHD at 19:20:20 29-01-2013
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 19:32:47 54,230 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thing is, 3DS has cost them hundreds of millions because they had to cut the price way before they were ready to. Doing the same with the Wii U could cost them into the billions if they want to stand on a relatively strong footing vs the next gen consoles.

Edit - Can't spell.

Edited by Psychotext at 19:43:31 29-01-2013
  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 19:35:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even though I think it's too expensive, Nintendo should ride it out until around next Christmas.

Will it sell with no games just because it's a little cheaper?
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 20:19:25
    markyHD wrote:
    Never underestimate parental buying power. Next christmas, if both Durango and Orbis are out, at their predictably high RRP's (i'd estimate 350+!), all it takes is a mariokart wii u bundle for 199 and they'll mop up the family buyers and likely many hardcores who were holding off for good games.
    I don't want to go too deeply into this debate, but I think it's fair to say that nobody really has any idea how things are going to play out... Wii U could comparatively be the most successful console for years if the other two are too expensive/too slow burning (ala Wii). This coming Christmas will likely be all-out war, and it could go any damn way. Xbox will likely be strong w/ 3rd party support, but a big focus on media/Windows 8 may not go down well. PlayStation 4... well, that's on Sony, the device'll be great... but the launch price & titles. Please get it right. It's exciting/confusing/hard to predict times.

The only sure thing in gaming in 2013 is the 3DS will sell boatloads come October.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Jan 2013 20:22:12 38,260 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's no chance the Wii U is 199 next Christmas. No way, and if it is Nintendo are in trouble.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• ResidentKnievel 29 Jan 2013 20:25:10 6,201 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The next Xbox and Playstation are rumored to be made with relatively inexpensive parts, if Sony or MS decide to sell at a loss I think the next-gen consoles will be surprisingly cheap.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:29:50 29-01-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• captainrentboy 29 Jan 2013 20:31:08 993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Working in retail I've seen general customer reaction to the Wii U, and regular folk just don't seem to be taking to it, at all.
    The lack of must have games, both out now and upcoming, seems to be the main issue, along with the price.
    It was one of the most underwhelming console launches I've worked through, and still there are people trading theirs back in already and going back to one of the other two consoles.
    It'll be interesting to see what's going to happen over the next year, because Rayman, Lego Undercover and Pikmin alone aren't going to turn things around.

Edited by captainrentboy at 20:31:41 29-01-2013
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 20:31:21
    Can't see the new Xbox going for over 299, Microsoft can usually hit the sweet spot, but God knows what Sony will do. I assume Wii U will see decent bundles in the 249 region... the only way it's getting to the 199 mark is the basic w/ no bundled game.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last