Wii U Page 449

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• dazcox5181 27 Jan 2013 07:57:40 273 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still enjoying my Wii U. Sure the price could have been better but then again my 360 was a £600 bundle/ launch day impulse purchase and my PS3 was bought at £500 near launch lol
    In terms of fun I've had with the launch line up it's so far beating other recent console launches (maybe tied with the Vita).
    Have NSMBU, Nintendoland, ZombiU and got Sonic yesterday (For the kids, except they've just discovered Happy Action Theatre Kinect and are currently running around the room popping invisible balloons!). Also picked up Little Inferno yesterday - if you dont have this you owe it to yourself to play it, it is excellent! Quite short, finished the 'story' after 3 hours but still have about half the combos to find.

If you can afford it now, or can trade old games like I did then I think the Wii U is a great purchase, if the price drops at least Nintendo have previous in terms of looking after early adopters!

http://gizmodad.co.uk

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 08:04:36
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Going to opt for the ZombiU bundle I reckon.
    As someone who doesn't like survival horror or first-person games, I was surprised at how much I actually enjoy ZombiU. A legitimately difficult and tense game. Not 'must-play', buy still very solid.

AdamAsunder wrote:
    I have one question. I've heard that the original Wii implementation has been handled badly. Is it really that bad? I'm keen on getting round to playing Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword and DKCR.
    I barely ever played any Wii titles, but I'm playing Skyward Sword on my Wii U right now, and it looks and plays fantastic. Have had no problem. There's some black bordering on the sides (still 16:9), but my monitor isn't 1920x1080, it's slightly higher resolution, so that may be why.

Pepsipop wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking all games can be played on the pads screen?
    IIRC at launch the only titles that couldn't be played on the Gamepad screen were ZombiU and Nintendoland because they specifically used both. Almost every other title digital or physical can. Wii games are TV-only though, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Jordyce at 08:05:34 27-01-2013
  • Carlo 27 Jan 2013 10:45:38 17,913 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trine 2 and nanoassault purch

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 17:04:03
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    Win.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 19:32:57
    @Jordyce

Thanks, right I'm getting Skyward Sword as well then, and I guess a wiimote.
  • Mattwow 27 Jan 2013 22:32:35 43 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Really considering a purchase, Which bundle & games to go for?

Windows 7 - 64
    Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    8GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 6970

Xbox Gamertag - Wolves since 86

• xxblindmonkeyxx 27 Jan 2013 22:48:42 236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I picked up a system this weekend, after watching this thread! It's brilliant, live the gamepad just so comfortable to use and I har played more this weekend on the wii u than I did probs for the whole of last year! Anyone on the fence should take the plunge!
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 22:53:03
    Hmm. It better be nearly all games as that is the only appeal to me.

T
  • NOSAVIOUR 27 Jan 2013 22:59:29 2,802 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mattwow zombi u premium, nsmb, sonic, nland and trine 2 and you'll be a happy monkey. Still can't get enough of mine.
  • Gregolution 28 Jan 2013 08:19:38 3,116 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    @Jordyce

Thanks, right I'm getting Skyward Sword as well then, and I guess a wiimote.
    Playing through this myself and absolutely loving it.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 09:11:45
    Downside is that I haven't got a Wii so getting all the peripherals is going to be expensive.

Does anyone know if these new rebranded wiimotes come with nunchuks?

I'm sat around today on my day off hoping my Wi U is delivered today knowing full well it will probably arrive tomorrow as I ordered it Saturday morning.
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2013 09:15:39 20,962 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Everything is bought individually. It's expensive getting a full set of controllers. Shop 2nd hand if you can, I'd imagine there's a boat load of Wii stuff going cheap.
  • DaM 28 Jan 2013 11:43:09 12,606 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never been a fan of Rayman, but the Castle Rock level on the demo is the most fun thing I've played in years. Made the full game a probable instabuy when it comes out.
  • Zomoniac 28 Jan 2013 12:25:55 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally got one yesterday, with Nintendoland and ZombiU (not played yet) and NSMBU. Thoughts (tl;dr etc):

The box is nice. Two tier slidey inlay thing is genius. Console feels nice. Pad feels nice to hold. Turned it on, was confused when it wouldn't let me log in with my Nintendo account. Discovered I have to make a Nintendo Network account and connect it to my Club Nintendo account which is a different thing. How very retarded. Then I downloaded the update. That took three hours on a 25MB connection. Halfway through it doing that I downloaded a 1.5GB file on my laptop out of idle curiosity to see if it was my connection. That took 8 minutes. Update was eventually done in a shade over three hours.

Finally got in, tried to add a friend. Couldn't see anywhere in Miiverse (there's a way, apparently), then discovered if you press Home to get the Home menu (which isn't the same as the main menu, or "homepage", obviously) there's a friends list where you can add a friend. I've since been told if you do it this way then it uses the traditional fucked up Nintendo method of requiring mutual entry rather than sending a request. If done via Miiverse it does it the sensible way. Right.

Gamepad. It's quite nice, reasonably comfortable. The touchscreen is very unresponsive. Sticks are too far in, d-pad is rubbish. Screen is nicer than I remember though, though a bit oversaturated. Battery life on it is a joke. I charged it for an hour before turning it on, so it had that plus whatever it came out of the box with. It died an hour through downloading the update. Gave it another two hours on charge, and that got me about 80 minutes before it went again. The most annoying thing is not being able to turn the screen off. Playing NSMBU the only thing the screen does is show an exact replica of what's on the TV, it adds nothing. So the battery is being drained at an alarming rate plus I have the very distracting screen in my peripheral vision showing exactly what I'm looking at for no perceivable benefit.

Then I got into the menus. Wii Shop is a bit of a mess, and soooo sloooooow (Rayman demo took 35 minutes to download, it's about 550MB). Also does the silly PS3 thing of requiring downloading and installing separately. At least it has background downloading.

Miiverse appears to be completely mental. I can't make out what's going on half the time, but it's certainly very entertaining. I like it.

So then I played some games.

New Super Mario Bros U
    Meh. It's a 2D Mario game. Controls like wading through treacle, levels are predictable and dull. Has its moments where everything clicks and it feels right, but so far (so far just being the first world, granted) they're few and far between.

Rayman Legends demo
    Evidently Nintendo don't know how to make a 2D platformer that feels right and shows off their fancy new toy properly. Fortunately it seems Ubisoft do. This is just perfect. Absolutely stunning to look at and listen to, controls like a dream. The gamepad bits feel a little bit tacked on for the sake of it, but they do work, and are surprisingly fun (though the novelty may wear off if they appear a lot throughout the full game). The Castle Rock demo is a work of pure unmatched genius. This is going to be the best 2D game ever, and worth buying a Wii U for alone.
  • Sid-Nice 28 Jan 2013 12:39:05 15,810 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Zomoniac The Wii U Update should have taken about 50 minutes and the Rayman Legends demo about 9 minutes. Once you get used to the OS everything works fine; there is 2 updates scheduled for spring and summer to rectify the slow returning to menuís situation.

As for NSMBU, the game is a bog standard 2D Mario but it still is addictive and does improve in later levels.

NNID Sid-Nice

• scoobysi 28 Jan 2013 13:16:04 875 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    @Zomoniac The Wii U Update should have taken about 50 minutes and the Rayman Legends demo about 9 minutes.
    Yep, these are similar to the timings I saw on an 8Mb connection, although that was before Xmas.
  • Kay 28 Jan 2013 13:24:38 17,402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    The Castle Rock demo is a work of pure unmatched genius. This is going to be the best 2D game ever, and worth buying a Wii U for alone.
    It's an on-rails level where you're shown exactly where to press jump. It's nicely made with the music and all, but hardly what I'd call a "work of unmatched genius".
  • vyseofhr 28 Jan 2013 13:26:42 802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ditto. Initial update was done in less than an hour. Can't remember how long Rayman took, but it certainly wasn't 35 minutes.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Zomoniac 28 Jan 2013 13:28:25 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    The Castle Rock demo is a work of pure unmatched genius. This is going to be the best 2D game ever, and worth buying a Wii U for alone.
    It's an on-rails level where you're shown exactly where to press jump. It's nicely made with the music and all, but hardly what I'd call a "work of unmatched genius".
    Yes and if the whole game was like that then it would be dull, but it's a moment of such joyful wonder that its lack of depth really isn't an issue. It's fun to play, moreso than anything else I can remember. That's the most important thing to me.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 13:30:08
    I've heard the horror stories of the download time for the Wii U update, I'm hoping it's not as bad as all that.

However when my Wii U finally arrives I've already written off the first day gamewise due to all the installing gubbins.

My order has been dispatched, should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm probably going to miss the courier as I'll be at work. Does anyone know if I can go to a hub to pick up my order after a failed deliver or will I have to organise a redelivery? I ordered from Shopto.
  • Mattwow 28 Jan 2013 14:12:03 43 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Right ive decided to go for it, A purchase will be made - Where should i be looking to purchase from price & bundle wise?

Windows 7 - 64
    Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    8GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 6970

Xbox Gamertag - Wolves since 86

• Raiko101 28 Jan 2013 14:16:00 5,536 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The updates took me 20-30 minutes at a time. But if you got your Wii U at launch there were two smaller updates.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 28 January 2013 15:27:31
    Mattwow wrote:
    Right ive decided to go for it, A purchase will be made - Where should i be looking to purchase from price & bundle wise?

Premium seems to be the most sensible option. Bigger hard drive, gamepad cradle and 10% back on online purchases through Nintendo's store. Plus it's black which is more in keeping with most entertainment centres.

Then it's a case of whether you want Nintendoland or ZombiU. I opted for ZombiU mainly to get a cheap pro controller packed in. I think Nintendoland is supposed to be the better title to show off the gamepad's features though you'll have to buy additional wiimotes to see its full potential.

You can find the NintendoLand premium bundle for just shy of £290 or the ZombiU one for £300. I think the latter is the better deal but it really depends on the kind of game you want to play.

Shopto.net is a good shout although finding the solus zombiU bundle was a pain.
  • roz123 29 Jan 2013 09:15:26 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lego City: Undercover hands on preview
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388447/previews/hands-on-lego-city-undercover-is-more-just-cause-than-gta/
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 09:35:48 8,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Lego City: Undercover hands on preview
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388447/previews/hands-on-lego-city-undercover-is-more-just-cause-than-gta/
    Sounds pretty cool, looking forward to it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• vyseofhr 29 Jan 2013 10:51:04 802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wii U VC games (unfortunately, but predictibly) aren't going to be compatible with Wii VC saves apparently.

Gleefully negative EG article to go up shortly.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• jellyhead 29 Jan 2013 11:01:39 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good place to get Wii-U eShop points? I can google but i thought i'd ask the intelligentsia first :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 11:02:05 41,864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Wii U VC games (unfortunately, but predictibly) aren't going to be compatible with Wii VC saves apparently.

Gleefully negative EG article to go up shortly.
    You expected a positive response to that?

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:02:27 29-01-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 11:04:03 55,849 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its kind of similar to the big sony hack that, weirdly, had people in the comments screaming 'STOP REPORTING ON IT! YOU HATE SONY!'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 11:09:00
    Sounds like the sky is falling in.
  • Page

of 1212 First / Last