Wii U Page 436

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• Kay 22 Jan 2013 11:21:28 17,404 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    They did actually release games for the Wii - apart from that, you are right!
    Not for the first 2 years though, same as the 3DS for the first year.
    Eh? The majority of the Wii's big games came out in the first couple of years. It was only after that the first-party releases started to dry up.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 11:25:41 5,879 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How could they not have anything ready?
    They haven't released much over the last few years, what have their dev teams been doing?

The constant stream of iterative and dumbed down mario spin-off titles they've been making surely can't be that taxing to make?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Cappy 22 Jan 2013 11:29:49 11,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    How could they not have anything ready?
    Limited resources stretched any number of ways.

Without an adequate management and production structure in place developers can spend years making little progress, i.e. when is The Last Guardian coming out?
  • Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:20:43 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    What would be the point of Nintendo clashing head on with everybody else at E3? They'll be fighting to get attention and media coverage versus getting 100% of the attention announcing stuff now.
    That's another question entirely, and one only Nintendo could probably answer. I was merely trying to explain why there's such a lack of future announcements; even by Nintendo's standards this is pretty bad. People forget but we had some big hitters, and knew about them, in the first 6 months of the 3DS's life.

i don't think Nintendo's big E3 announcements are in danger of being drowned out - if they are delaying them till then. They're probably more worried of turning up with nothing 'big' to show when it's assured MS/Sony are announcing new consoles. They're also probably gearing up for next Christmas. I expect they'll make a pointed reference to the greater game library available 'this holiday season' than on their rivals' consoles. Of course, this is a victory by default, and on a technicality, but this tends to be how E3 works.

I also suspect they've a lot they can already show but - aside from the possibility of stockpiling announcements - it also seems to be their thing these days not to announce new games till shortly before they ship. There are the occasional exception to this rule, mind.

Contrast this this to Microsoft and Sony (predominantly Sony) who quite often not only announce games but show actual gameplay sometimes a couple of years before launch.

I actually find Nintendo's radar silence frustrating and completely disingenuous to the already installed Wii U user base.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2013 12:21:51 8,749 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    lol.
    I'd wager any amount that there will be unannounced 1st party games released this year. The idea that they have nothing for this year is utterly preposterous.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 12:24:53 1,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd be very surprised if they didn't have at least a new 3D Mario or Zelda game to show off at E3. I don't think they would have much trouble getting the media to show Mario or Zelda in HD either. Past that though I think they need to announce something like Star Fox or F-Zero and a few mor 3rd party exclusives (and actually show something of Bayonetta 2).

Pretty much the same thing goes for the 3DS actually, though with the new Pkoemon games that should do fine this christmas.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:26:36 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apparently they were very close to showing what Retro are working on at last E3 but pulled it at the 11th hour. I suspect we'll get one big Nintendo franchise this Christmas and a couple of 3DS ones. I also think they show footage for 2014 announcements.
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 12:27:31 55,887 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    lol.
    I'd wager any amount that there will be unannounced 1st party games released this year. The idea that they have nothing for this year is utterly preposterous.
    Equally as preposterous as playing their cards close to their chest when the wii u is quickly garnering a reputation for having no games.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Daryoon 22 Jan 2013 12:28:59 4,555 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worth considering that the new Pokemon came out of nowhere, with a worldwide release schedule for nine month's time. Perhaps Nintendo just want to avoid another Brawl scenario.
  • Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:31:06 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun

This is the dangerous game they're playing. It might work, it could end disastrously.

In mitigation, we seem to forget, this happens with every new console release. The first 6-8 months are painful.
  • Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:34:39 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Daryoon

I do genuinely think this is a cynical calculation on Nintendo's part. They now have 10 months for young kids (and a few adults) to work on their parents (other halves) to get Pokemon and a 3DS for Christmas.

I'm a little surprised myself to see how much they're advertising it now, including right now on EG as I type this.
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 12:34:49 55,887 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The difference is that sony and ms do nothing but blow smoke up everyones arse in the lulls. They promise this game and that game are coming and its going to be amazing.

They dont sit there with pursed lips, hoping people will continue to buy their hardware on blind 'if you build it they will come' faith.

He totally called it

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 12:36:29 52,802 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    In mitigation, we seem to forget, this happens with every new console release. The first 6-8 months are painful.
    Makes a lot more sense to buy a year after release, especially given all the discounts available on the older games at that point.
  • MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 12:40:04 1,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Perhaps Nintendo just want to avoid another Brawl scenario.
    God that was awful! That was at the height of my Nintendo loving (I was 11 when it was first announced) and it was pretty much the only game I wanted (I just had a Wii and a PS2) for ages. The Smash Bros Dojo, although a great idea, made it even worse by releasing a bit of new information every weekday. Gave me something to look forward to in the mornings before school though.

At least Nintendo wont repeat that mistake by announcing a new Smash Bros game too early.

Oh, right.

• Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:41:11 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun

You're absolutely right. In fact, I pretty much said this a few posts back. Just seems to be two diverging corporate cultures. In this respect Nintendo ape the Apple model. Unfortunately, Nintendo need to realise they're not Apple. They need to adopt the Sony/Microsoft model if they're to engender a modicum of goodwill amongst gamers. They can't solely rely on the loyal part of their fan base.

This aside, it still doesn't negate the argument that Nintendo are conceivably stockpiling announcement. Whether this is a good tactic or not is a different matter.
  • Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:43:04 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext

I know, but every fucking time my curiosity gets the better of me :-(

At least I have a good backlog on my PS3 to work through - and Ni No Kuni on the way.

Edited by Luckyjim at 12:43:25 22-01-2013
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 12:43:40 55,887 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope they are. I hope theres a cavalcade of software for my 3DS and enough to make me want to buy a Wii U in the next year. It just strikes me as particularly insane that they wouldnt want to tell anyone about it.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 12:46:03 41,869 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    lol.
    Quoted.

Also I love to idea that nobody is developing for the WiiU 'isn't Nintendo's fault.'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 12:52:39 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    lol.
    Quoted.

Also I love to idea that nobody is developing for the WiiU 'isn't Nintendo's fault.'
    Lack of third-party support from major western developers is a genuine concern. I do think the Wii U will be left behind in this respect. We'll still see interesting 3rd party Japanese support, though, like we did with the Wii.

If I'm honest, I wasn't expecting anything different, which is why I'll go with the same setup next gen as I did last gen. Sony/Microsoft, plus NIntendo. Nintendo are great at what they do, but don't seem to be interested in doing anything else.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 12:54:00 41,869 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pity I don't live in Japan.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Luckyjim 22 Jan 2013 13:03:02 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe i need to add the caveat: the ones released in the west.

Edited 'cos of stupid predictive text.

Edited by Luckyjim at 14:37:22 22-01-2013
  • NOSAVIOUR 22 Jan 2013 13:06:25 2,802 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3 years since Retro have released a game (bar work on MarioKart 7) this fall and no doubt a big IP from Nintendo for the hardcore fan for Christmas to counter act the next gen. Hoping for a Wii Sports 2 too. Still loving my Wii, haven't touched the 360 since owning it, Nintendoland has actually made me crave more party games though which is something I never thought I'd be doing.
  • Cappy 22 Jan 2013 13:07:21 11,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Wii's Japanese third party support wasn't that great so I'm not sure what would suddenly make the Wii U the go to place for Japanese third party titles.

Despite the PS3 selling less it got the lions share of the Japanese third party games because it appealed more to the market most of those titles were pitching at.

Even if a swathe of third party titles were secured for the Wii U that would just be setting us up for more pain because a significant portion will never get Worldwide release because of Nintendo who will also resolutely enforce region locking all the way.

It would be more sensible to hope those games continued getting PS3 versions.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 14:05:21
    Wii U Direct scheduled for tomorrow at 14.00 GMT!

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 14:05:31 22-01-2013
  • vyseofhr 22 Jan 2013 14:05:27 802 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wii U-centric Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 2pm.

New games to be revealed, apparently.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 14:07:24
    God I hope we get a solid release date for Pikmin 3.
  • Blakester 22 Jan 2013 14:13:01 3,357 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like the thought that Nintendoland hides the secret to the forthcoming Wii U first-party release slate.

That'll mean new:

Zelda
    Mario
    Metroid
    Donkey Kong
    F-Zero
    Pikmin (which we know is coming)

I'd be well happy with that in the next 18 months.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 14:14:01 1,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think they might have seen the conversation here! :-P

Here's hoping for a new Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero! Though realisitically I doubt we'll get any of them tomorrow.

• AcidSnake 22 Jan 2013 14:17:46 7,145 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might just be the announcement of that lag-removing patch?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• vyseofhr 22 Jan 2013 14:17:54 802 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think they'll announce Wind Waker U HD.

(I don't, but I'd love to see it)

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Page

of 1212 First / Last