• Lexx87 11 Jan 2013 21:07:57 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You. What? You cant use in mario? Lol

Speak the truth hussy!

• Zizoo 11 Jan 2013 21:10:25 8,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does anyone here who actually owns a Wii U regret their purchase? I have some spare cash but still on the fence.
  • richardiox 11 Jan 2013 21:12:36 5,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seriously though, the Pro Controller isn't compatable with games there's no reason for it not to be compatable with?The most unelegant approach here by Nintendo. It's a controller stew.

Edit - also, what's the deal with the sensor bar? Can anyone who owns a WiiU confirm if you need one for the Gamepad or is it just for MP when you use WiiMotes?

Edited by richardiox at 21:14:26 11-01-2013
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Jan 2013 21:17:59 4,115 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ZizouFC

It's early days but at the minute no I am enjoying it immensely.

I actually got rid of my xbox too when I got the Wii U. There was nothing coming out over the next year that interested me (Bioshock aside but I will be borrowing my brother in laws xbox for that!).

I figured at the very worst I can try something new for a year and catch up on the few wii gems before the next gen kicks in.

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 21:18:53
    If the Basic package doesn't come with one it can't be essential, although with all the other oddities with the Wii U I wouldn't be surprised.

Am I going to end up having massive buyer's remorse after getting one? I'm thinking of getting one namely for the potential of the idea and the promise of some classic first party releases. If none of that comes to anything I'm going to feel really gutted.

What has actually been confirmed by Nintendo other than the already released Mario 2d and Pikmin 3? I'm really hoping to see a more innovative Mario title, and not Galaxy 3.

Nintendo, beguile me like you used to dammit.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 21:20:10 11-01-2013

Edited by AdamAsunder at 21:23:01 11-01-2013
  • PhoenixFlames 11 Jan 2013 21:52:23 8,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Seriously though, the Pro Controller isn't compatable with games there's no reason for it not to be compatable with?The most unelegant approach here by Nintendo. It's a controller stew.

Edit - also, what's the deal with the sensor bar? Can anyone who owns a WiiU confirm if you need one for the Gamepad or is it just for MP when you use WiiMotes?
    You don't need a sensor bar for the Gamepad.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Thingy 11 Jan 2013 21:53:25 5,412 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @richardiox You need the sensor bar for some of the single player and all the multiplayer modes in NintendoLand. The Wii U Basic model is a massively stupid idea, basically.
  • PhoenixFlames 11 Jan 2013 21:54:16 8,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Does anyone here who actually owns a Wii U regret their purchase? I have some spare cash but still on the fence.
    I don't but I reckon I could be selling it in a year or so when 720/PS4 is available. That's not a bad thing though, I'll get to enjoy 12-18 months of Nintendo games and any decent third party titles that come along.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Binny 11 Jan 2013 21:57:35 187 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doesn't sound like it will be the system for you dude if you have those concerns. Don't waste your money cos it sounds like you'll just have regret. It is a brilliant system however.
  • scoobysi 12 Jan 2013 00:14:32 886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thingy wrote:
    @richardiox You need the sensor bar for some of the single player and all the multiplayer modes in NintendoLand. The Wii U Basic model is a massively stupid idea, basically.
    Are you sure, I thought the sensor bar was only required when using Wiimote as a pointer?
  • Raiko101 12 Jan 2013 00:20:40 6,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The sensor bar is only required for pointing at the screen with Wii remotes that are not motion plus. At least that is my understanding. You can aim at the screen with the side of the Gamepad, which only has infrared on the top of the controller, so the pointer on screen must be determined by the position and angle of the controller. Nintendo land makes no mention of requiring a sensor bar on the packaging either. Only that you need motion plus for the two games that require you to point at the screen at all.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• scoobysi 12 Jan 2013 00:25:10 886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    The sensor bar is only required for pointing at the screen with Wii remotes that are not motion plus. At least that is my understanding. You can aim at the screen with the side of the Gamepad, which only has infrared on the top of the controller, so the pointer on screen must be determined by the position and angle of the controller. Nintendo land makes no mention of requiring a sensor bar on the packaging either. Only that you need motion plus for the two games that require you to point at the screen at all.
    Just checked the box, next to the picture of nunchuk it mentions that a sensor bar is required. Just had a thought, when you choose which player is on pad or wiimote you need to point at the screen!
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2013 01:31:52 5,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jesus, even when the console is actually out you can't a clear answer to this sensor bar question. Easy way to try - unplug sensor bar then try all Nintendoland mini games in single player.
    Ultimately, is it needed for back compat Wii support or does the Gamepad "liaise" with it too? I'm thinking the former otherwise it would be packed in with the basic model.
  • PhoenixFlames 12 Jan 2013 07:47:34 8,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, just like there is a way to charge the 3DS XL without a charger...oh wait...

PSN - phoenix1flames

• scoobysi 12 Jan 2013 10:09:12 886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Jesus, even when the console is actually out you can't a clear answer to this sensor bar question. Easy way to try - unplug sensor bar then try all Nintendoland mini games in single player.
    Ultimately, is it needed for back compat Wii support or does the Gamepad "liaise" with it too? I'm thinking the former otherwise it would be packed in with the basic model.
    The box states required to use wii remote and wii remote plus I.e multiplayer.
  • Kangoo 12 Jan 2013 18:59:03 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ZizouFC

I am having a lot of regrets with my purchase and will probably sell it in the next week or so. Think I have a bit of Nintendo franchise fatigue, playing Mario feels like playing the same game I have been playing since Super Mario World, just not as good. I really don't see all the fuss with Nintendo Land, only Zombi U has interested me and that is starting to lose its appeal.

Saw a very barren release schedule the other day and it made me realise I am only really bothered about Pikmin an Rayman (which I am sure will get a sequel to Origins on PS3/4 at some point) and I am not loving it enough to justify keeping the machine.

The e-shop is really well laid out, shame there really isn't a lot on there, sure it will get better but again only seen 3 titles planned for release in the next 6 months. The online aspect is still poor compared to the PS3/360 and the speed of loading and getting back to the home page is appaulling. Think Nintendo are light years behind in there online set up.

The game pad is much more comfortable to hold then I expected and the battery life hasn't been a problem for me, but I have never played more than 2 hours in a day. I like being able to play games on it without the need for the screen, but with such little 3rd party support most of the stuff I want will only be available on my PS3 so it doesn't help me out. Not sure how much of a game changer the second screen will be, used brilliantly with Zombi U but not I can only see it working in tense situations and just having a seperate screen for maps/inventory seems a waste of resources.

I think the thing that really brought it home for me was 12 hours of playtime trough 3/4 of December. Really can't justify the expense for such limited use and it will only be gathering dust for the next couple of months until something else gets released.

PSN: Adwab2

• RyanDS 12 Jan 2013 19:06:20 9,246 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richardiox wrote:

I don't regret it as I knew what I was in for. But I have to say I got at launch and have played maybe ten hours, I am using my ps3 and 360 more.

It really is not worth it, I got it because I had spare cash then, and knew this year I would be skint, so have bought it with the expectation that there would be some stuff to play later.

Just be warned as well that if you do buy it you need to spend a fortune on peripherals to actually get anything out of it.
  • Blakester 12 Jan 2013 19:24:19 3,597 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    richardiox wrote:

I don't regret it as I knew what I was in for. But I have to say I got at launch and have played maybe ten hours, I am using my ps3 and 360 more.

It really is not worth it, I got it because I had spare cash then, and knew this year I would be skint, so have bought it with the expectation that there would be some stuff to play later.

Just be warned as well that if you do buy it you need to spend a fortune on peripherals to actually get anything out of it.
    Unless of course (like many) you already have wiimotes lying around.

After getting the Premium pack, I haven't had to pay out for anything else except games.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• RyanDS 12 Jan 2013 19:29:45 9,246 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I rather dislike the philosophy that Nintendo have displayed with both this and the 3ds xl that you can only use the new console if you have the old one.
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2013 19:41:09 5,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blakester

WiiMotes or Motion+?

It's another thing I'm still confused about with regards to WiiU.
  • DFawkes 12 Jan 2013 19:41:31 22,788 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I rather dislike the philosophy that Nintendo have displayed with both this and the 3ds xl that you can only use the new console if you have the old one.
    I don't think it's that as much as it is "You WILL buy peripherals! You will buy them all! Mwahahahaha!", as they take your money for yet more stuff you need. I thought I was alright as I still have my Wii, Wiimotes and Nunchucks, but still need MotionPlus dongle things. They still seems to be really pricey.

I assume there's a good mark-up on all these controllers.

Edited by DFawkes at 19:43:31 12-01-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 19:54:04 17,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'If you make them, they will buy' seems to be the guiding philosophy.
  • Blakester 12 Jan 2013 20:18:56 3,597 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    @Blakester

WiiMotes or Motion+?

It's another thing I'm still confused about with regards to WiiU.
    Motion+ for the Zelda and Metroid mini games in Nintendoland. Wiimotes for everything else.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• dazcox5181 12 Jan 2013 20:24:36 292 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did it I got one! Picked up the white basic pack and nintendoland, traded loads in so was a bargain at 184 :) wanted NSMBU but was sold out, will find a copy tomorrow. Held off on ZombiU as figured would try the demo, and can't play something like that when the kiddies are up anyway.

Just set it up now they're in bed, bit of trouble connecting to the shite VM superhub, now doing the update... Slow progress (60meg broadband) but time to open a bottle of wine :)

http://gizmodad.co.uk

• NotSoSlim 13 Jan 2013 10:49:01 3,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kangoo wrote:
    @ZizouFC

I am having a lot of regrets with my purchase and will probably sell it in the next week or so. Think I have a bit of Nintendo franchise fatigue, playing Mario feels like playing the same game I have been playing since Super Mario World, just not as good. I really don't see all the fuss with Nintendo Land, only Zombi U has interested me and that is starting to lose its appeal.

Saw a very barren release schedule the other day and it made me realise I am only really bothered about Pikmin an Rayman (which I am sure will get a sequel to Origins on PS3/4 at some point) and I am not loving it enough to justify keeping the machine.

The e-shop is really well laid out, shame there really isn't a lot on there, sure it will get better but again only seen 3 titles planned for release in the next 6 months. The online aspect is still poor compared to the PS3/360 and the speed of loading and getting back to the home page is appaulling. Think Nintendo are light years behind in there online set up.

The game pad is much more comfortable to hold then I expected and the battery life hasn't been a problem for me, but I have never played more than 2 hours in a day. I like being able to play games on it without the need for the screen, but with such little 3rd party support most of the stuff I want will only be available on my PS3 so it doesn't help me out. Not sure how much of a game changer the second screen will be, used brilliantly with Zombi U but not I can only see it working in tense situations and just having a seperate screen for maps/inventory seems a waste of resources.

I think the thing that really brought it home for me was 12 hours of playtime trough 3/4 of December. Really can't justify the expense for such limited use and it will only be gathering dust for the next couple of months until something else gets released.
    Sold mine a month ago as got money back. Will see what future holds on it
  • zoolophage 13 Jan 2013 11:58:51 1,676 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was lucky enough to get a Wii U from my wife for xmas. So I guess that's it, I'll be with Nintendo for this generation. Although, tbh it was never likely that I'd be buying a new xbox or Sony console. Tried it and it just doesn't seem to be for me. They are great consoles, but I dunno, I just can't get into the type of games they typically have.

It's a mixed bag with the Wii U so far: nice graphics, the gamepad is both brilliant and seemingly unnecessary/essential, games seem a little thin on the ground so far (and very expensive!) and the e-shop isn't offering up much. Miiverse is a laugh and I love the return of split screen gaming on the couch (although it never went away in my house). The speed of the OS is disappointing, quite a lot of waiting around, although it isn't terrible it could/should be much, much faster.

Still, given the limited amount of time that I'm able to put into gaming, the 3 games that I do have (Nintendoland, Mario, and Sonic Racing) should keep me going for the next few months. My rate of consumption is such that I could probably get by just with the major Nintendo franchises. Little Inferno is also great.

My wife said 'What are you doing?' (as I was playing on the gamepad)

'Burning stuff,' I said.

'WTF. What!?! What the hell kind of sick game is that,' she said.

'No, No, you don't understand. It's great you should try it'

And so she did. Can't stop burning stuff now.

This time, hopefully I'm going to learn my lesson about buying far more games than I have time to play. My DS & Wii/GC 'collection' got absolutely ridiculous so I ended up giving 90% of it to charity. Was glad to see it go, really. Hung on to a few games that I really wanted to get to play. That said, if I haven't completed games despite owning them for 7+ years, what are the chances (I'm looking at you Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Luigi's Mansion).

Don't know if the Wii U is going to be a mega success, but all things considered, it looks like I'm going to enjoy it.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Psychotext 13 Jan 2013 12:20:48 53,940 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, I enjoyed Little Inferno. Way too short though.
  • Pure-Ultra 13 Jan 2013 20:36:17 741 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Annoying, the Wii channel games and virtual console stuff doesn't play on the game pad.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 21:34:26
    That makes zero sense.
  • wobbler147 13 Jan 2013 22:18:37 5,138 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Coming in a future fw update apparently.
  • Page

of 1357 First / Last