Wii U Page 427

• Page

of 1362 First / Last

• scoobysi 9 Jan 2013 13:36:04 888 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    You can't look at two different objects at once, therefore one screen will always be superfluous.
    There's a certain skill to spouting rubbish but making it sound like fact. Many appear to have that skill round here.
  • Cappy 9 Jan 2013 13:38:53 11,925 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    That's really pathetic Cappy.
    You're referring to lingering in toilets and laying around in bed like a shut-in playing games and watching TV I hope. That is pretty pathetic.
  • jellyhead 9 Jan 2013 13:43:25 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can look at two things at once. I can see my hands and my mouse, i can see my cup AND spoon. It's quite easy to see more than one object at a time, cappy. Desk, keyboard, screen, cup, spoon, mouse and many more.

Quite astounding really. I must be a mutant. Worship me!

This signature intentionally left blank.

• ronuds 9 Jan 2013 13:49:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Ever been robbed? If not, please don't post negative opinions about it. It doesn't matter how much you might have read, heard or seen on the topic you cannot have an opinion unless you have direct personal experience.
    This is what annoys me most - the assertion that we can't possibly have any idea what the WiiU is about unless you've used it.

It's a console with a screen on the controller - hardly the revolution that can't possibly be understood without hands-on time as some make it out to be. Some of us have been gaming long enough to get a good idea whether we've used it or not (I have used it, btw), since it's a console with games that aren't much different from what we've been playing for over 3 decades.

I'm not saying anything bad about the WiiU, only the assertions that have gone with it. :)

Edited by ronuds at 13:49:59 09-01-2013
  • Cappy 9 Jan 2013 13:50:38 11,925 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    You can't look at two different objects at once, therefore one screen will always be superfluous.
    There's a certain skill to spouting rubbish but making it sound like fact. Many appear to have that skill round here.
    Okay.

Take two books. Hold one open in front of you, place the other on your lap. Now read both books at once without alternating between gazing at one then the other. Being aware of something in the periphery of your vision and actually looking at something are two different things.

Activities such as games require you to look, not merely be aware something is there.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2013 14:47:59 10,982 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I'd love somewhere like Amazon released a 'budget WiiU' bundle for those a bit strapped for cash that contained:

- a 360
    - a telly
    - better versions of multiplatform games

(sorry for obvious troll, couldn't resist)
    Why do you apologise this time?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 15:05:37 44,132 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because the other times I wasn't trolling. Criticism of Nintendo can sometimes be legitimate, you know.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2013 15:39:18 10,982 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Because the other times I wasn't trolling. Criticism of Nintendo can sometimes be legitimate, you know.
    You're funny.

• CharlieStCloud 9 Jan 2013 15:40:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ... changing the subject!

Any inklings when Pikmin 3 shall be available here in Great Britain?

I really loved the first one, the sequel not-as-much, and recent news of the (long overdue) threequel being comparable to the original in terms of difficulty has got me a little bit excited.

I had a good go on Nintendo Land on my friends Wii U (or their sons, who was thankfully in bed!) on Monday evening and I do like some 'mini-games' more than others and they make me hope that the variety of ways to use the GamePad is implemented in the next Metroid and Zelda.

I'd love the rumours of Retro Studios being on the helm for Link's next adventure to be true.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2013 15:50:08 10,982 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My estimate is May-June.

• nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 15:58:24 59,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• ResidentKnievel 9 Jan 2013 16:07:14 6,195 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope all these lack of announcements is an indication that Nintendo are ditching home consoles and going 3rd-party, soon, incredibly unlikely but it would be awesome.

I think it's likely they'll go 3rd party before 2016

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 16:15:51 09-01-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Binny 9 Jan 2013 16:10:07 187 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    I hope all these lack of announcements is an indication that Nintendo are ditching home consoles and going 3rd-party, soon, incredibly unlikely but it would be awesome.

I think it's likely they'll have went 3rd party before 2016
    Now that's been silly.

Edited by Binny at 16:10:39 09-01-2013
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 16:14:11 59,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it currently silly?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• beastmaster 9 Jan 2013 16:16:08 11,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nintendo going 3rd party is highly unlikely. People have been saying/wanting they're going to do so for years. It's just wishful thinking. Want to play a certain Mario game? You're going to have to buy Nintendo.

I've been keeping a beady eye on this thread for a while. I still have not bought one and I'm pleased I didn't. Just not enough on it to justify it and (now) Im not prepared to buy a WiiU and wait for the titles to come out.

It's either going to be Bayonetta 2 or when the machine has enough AAA titles I want to buy one.

Nintendo are going to have to put on an epic E3 show not for it to get totally buried under the next MS and PS announcements.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Baleoce 9 Jan 2013 18:25:08 1,185 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

Did we cover this from CES? Controller, and the internal battery (the triple lasting one), sorted. Then again, the controller doesn't really add anything to the table for those who are fine with the layout of the official one, apart from price point. That internal battery sounds like a good deal though.

Edited by Baleoce at 18:29:14 09-01-2013

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Steifybobbins 9 Jan 2013 18:56:12 353 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Jordyce wrote:
    So you're judging a system entirely on flawed logic and refuse to actually play it?

I can't help but feel this guy's an idiot, and there's an overabundance of them when it comes to Nintendo on Eurogamer. I just don't know what's so specific about EG + Nintendo hate (even Kotaku's not this bad, and it's pretty awful).
    Since we're getting started on the name calling, how much more simply can I explain it you imbecile? You can't look at two different objects at once, therefore one screen will always be superfluous.

Furthermore, constantly having to switch attention between screens breaks immersion. Obviously it impresses some, no doubt the same contingent who were impressed by holding up a Wii Remote to their ear so they can pretend it's a phone. Perhaps Fisher-Price products would better suit their needs.

As for the play in bed, whilst on the toilet etc. justification. That's mostly been dealt with before, I guess lurking in toilets feels natural to the sort of people who early adopt Nintendo consoles.

I'm particularly peeved by the absolutely outrageous assertion from some users that people shouldn't post opinions that they don't like or agree with. Who the Hell are you to think you can dictate what people should be able to post?

This is a discussion forum, not a fan club and that particular behaviour is a bannable offence on GAF for a very good reason, besides being highly unpleasant and causing arguments, it results in horrible threads with no real discussion or worth, they become repellent circle jerks.

I cut your console and you bleed. If that applies to anybody in here, you've got a serious problem.
    What? W..w..what?
  • -cerberus- 9 Jan 2013 20:00:08 2,824 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Raiko101 9 Jan 2013 21:35:11 6,295 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Using two screens doesn't break any kind of immersion for me. At least it didn't with ZombiU. Part of the experience was knowing you had to take yours eyes of the screen. Even if for just a second.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2013 22:11:06 10,982 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Battery duration woes soon to be over.

Good to see someone making up for Nintendo's asshattery.

• LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 23:00:31 44,132 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good, so you can throw more money at controllers for this thing.

• Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 23:34:57 54,163 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of which, I wonder when the standalone controllers will be out. I guess they're working on how they go about downgrading the game's graphics to be able to output to multiple pads.
  • DFawkes 9 Jan 2013 23:44:36 22,928 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was thinking you could probably do a good Star Trek Bridge Commander type game. One player as pilot on a Pro Controller and the main TV, with 2 players with Gamepads doing other stuff, like Engineering, Point Defence or targeting. The obvious advantage is something already in Star Trek - the LCARS design of all the panels.

That way, you can give a more simplified picture output to the 2 Gamepad's to enhance authenticity. I think realistically there'd have to be a lot of that kind of thinking to support 2 Gamepad's, like having a game with retro visuals or other finding reasons for having have minimalistic visuals.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Armoured_Bear 10 Jan 2013 00:04:26 10,982 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nano Assault Neo is pretty good, I just bought it tonight.
    Definitely has "one more go" appeal, good controls and looks really gorgeous.

• Baleoce 10 Jan 2013 00:36:46 1,185 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As far as I'm concerned, the Penny Arcade suggestion of a D&D game with the GamePad player acting as the Dungeon Master is just money waiting to be made.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Jazzy_Geoff 10 Jan 2013 00:40:56 7,767 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Talking of which, I wonder when the standalone controllers will be out. I guess they're working on how they go about downgrading the game's graphics to be able to output to multiple pads.
    I bet they never arrive. What use are they? They will just complicate things
  • ecureuil 10 Jan 2013 07:26:41 76,795 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    I bet they never arrive. What use are they? They will just complicate things
    Can't see many people wanting to fork out $170 just for a second controller. Works out to about 100 for us lot. How many games are going to support two controllers, given the price? The whole 'one person uses the tabletpad, everyone else uses shitty normal controllers' thing seems like such a horrible gimmick. It reminds me of going to a friends house as a kid, and he gives you his Mad Catz spare. I'm sure its great for some games, but it feels like it has limited applications. Anyway yes, it does seem like support for a second controller is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Jan 2013 09:00:16 3,299 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I was thinking you could probably do a good Star Trek Bridge Commander type game. One player as pilot on a Pro Controller and the main TV, with 2 players with Gamepads doing other stuff, like Engineering, Point Defence or targeting. The obvious advantage is something already in Star Trek - the LCARS design of all the panels.

That way, you can give a more simplified picture output to the 2 Gamepad's to enhance authenticity. I think realistically there'd have to be a lot of that kind of thinking to support 2 Gamepad's, like having a game with retro visuals or other finding reasons for having have minimalistic visuals.

An excellent idea, i'd love to see Nintendo implement something like that - basically a more graphically powerful version of FTL with multiple players controlling different things.

Another example would be for a F1 game - the GamePad player would be the engineer, monitoring the race from an aerial view and keeping an eye on the cars vital stats and rivals positions, the Pro Controller player would be the driver and you could even have two Wii Remote players as pit stop engineers!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• LeoliansBro 10 Jan 2013 09:05:01 44,132 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are dozens of clever ideas for the gamepad and I'm a firm believer in asymmetric gaming. The thing is, they would benefit from being online and no developer is going to make an online asymmetric multiplayer game just because of the existence of the gamepad. They could just as easily be made on any console. So you'll end up with an expensive and distracting inventory screen time after time.

More Luigi's Haunted Mansion type games would be very welcome, but same-room multiplayer games by themselves don't justify the investment.

• Page

of 1362 First / Last