Wii U Page 426

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• Khanivor 9 Jan 2013 12:10:56 40,381 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ever been robbed? If not, please don't post negative opinions about it. It doesn't matter how much you might have read, heard or seen on the topic you cannot have an opinion unless you have direct personal experience.

And some of you wonder why some of us think some Nintendo fans are lacking in the mental dept.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 12:13:48 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jordyce wrote:

nickthegun wrote:
    I think everyone who is commenting has read or experienced enough about the Wii U to have formed a pretty decent opinion.
    While people are still dismissing the Gamepad as just a touch screen for inventories, I think that's not quite the case.
    That is all it is, other than a gargantuan effort to replace your DS on the toilet.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 12:15:08 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trolling and mudslinging from both camps aside - things I would want to see before I considered the WiiU a worthwhile purchase:

- A pipeline including proper AAA Nintendo titles
    - Strong evidence of 3rd party dev support
    - An improved battery pack for the Gamepad
    - Patches to fix the online problems and menu delays
    - Multiplatform games that are definitive on this console
    - A price cut of about 20%
    - An expanded games library that played to the console's strengths
    - Evidence that devs are willing to go with Nintendo's odd voicecomms oversight
    - The successor to the 360 to not be available

I hardly think these are unreasonable, and I hardly think I'm alone in this opinion (look at the WiiU sales).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• quadfather 9 Jan 2013 12:15:42 11,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blimey, I just came in to see how the Wii U thread was going...you guys should get together and go bowling

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:16:34
    Khanivor wrote:
    Ever been robbed? If not, please don't post negative opinions about it. It doesn't matter how much you might have read, heard or seen on the topic you cannot have an opinion unless you have direct personal experience.

And some of you wonder why some of us think some Nintendo fans are lacking in the mental dept.
    There's a difference when people are posting clearly uninformed posts or are unwilling to accept completely valid points. It's not everyone, but there are clearly those who just are throwing out "X sucks!" and not really discussing it any valid manner.
  • jellyhead 9 Jan 2013 12:17:19 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    REALLY tempted by this shopto offer.
    Nintendo Wii U Console 32gb Black Premium ZombiU Bundle - 299

- Wii U Console Black
    - ZombiU Game
    - 32gb Internal Flash Memory
    - Wii U GamePad
    - Wii U Pro Controller
    - Wii U GamePad Stylus
    - Wii U GamePad Cradle
    - Wii U GamePad Stand
    - Wii U Console Stand
    - Wii U AC Adapter
    - AC Adapter
    - Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
    - HDMI Cable (1.5m)
    - Sensor Bar
    ... and then get Nintendoland for housemate fun.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:22:14
    nickthegun wrote:

That is all it is, other than a gargantuan effort to replace your DS on the toilet.
    See to me this is a trolling comment. I'd say the multiplayer options, asynchronous gameplay, motion control tied to a screen, touch screen, etc are all potential uses. Do you not see those things as good options for gamers, even if they're not yourself?

I'll agree if you say that most of the time the Wiimote didn't live up to it's potential (at least not until Motion+), but the Gamepad is already doing a little better, and Nintendoland and Zombi U are decent examples at least.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 12:23:21 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's an awful lot of "stuff". Make sure you have space. lol
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 12:24:29 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its a nice gimmick to have but as to what it will offer to the console over its lifespan? I think the hideous premium it puts on the kit would have been better spent on some more horses under the bonnet.

So, yes, it one or two tangible benefits but not as many as if they had spent the money elsewhere on things that are actually useful.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:27:45
    Fuck giving up off-TV play, besides, we'll have the PS4 and advertbox8 for a more traditional console launch (possibly).
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 12:30:18 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would be willing to bet that the percentage of people who use that by the end of the consoles life is infinitesimal and the amount of time they have used it for even smaller.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:31:49
    I'd imagine there'll be plenty who use it just for web browsing, checking facefuck and miiverse etc.
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2013 12:32:17 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just realised. Got the Wii U pretty much on release.

So far I completed NSMBU (maybe 6 hours? Not a huge game.)
    Played 3 hours of Zombi U, then traded it in.

And since then I have been playing Far Cry, X-Com and Skyrim on my PS3 and 360. Haven't turned on the Wii U since before christmas, and that was to play Xenoblade. (Which was shit as I tried using the hateful wii controllers. Will try again when my classic controller turns up.)

I don't dislike it at all, in fact I love the fact I can play games on the controller screen while the wife watched the tv. I do want to play it more, I have gone to buy Darksiders 2 for instance several times, but the fact that I can get the same game on the PS3 for 1/2 the price means I won't waste the money.

All in all it is very meh, but I was expecting that so am not dissappointed. It is typical nintendo, some great ideas, but mostly missed opportunities and some genuine fuck ups as they don't understand the basics of modern gaming and have cut too many corners. (eg battery life and the stupid lack of accounts.)

Edited by RyanDS at 12:36:33 09-01-2013

Edited by RyanDS at 12:36:58 09-01-2013
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 12:34:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I'd imagine there'll be plenty who use it just for web browsing, checking facefuck and miiverse etc.
    Rather than doing it on their phones or one of the proper tablets lying around? Im fairly sure thats not going to happen.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:35:57
    Well not everyone has a tablet, I don't and I use the gamepad like a tablet.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 12:36:54 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of the pad... one thing sticks in my head from the Nintendo PR vids and that's when they put it on the floor to act as the tee in that golf game. It was at that point I realised that Nintendo has a tech which they have absolutely no clue how to make the best use of it.

Same as Kinect in a lot of ways. Cool on the surface, but very limited in reality.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 12:42:07 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Well not everyone has a tablet, I don't and I use the gamepad like a tablet.
    Now all nintendo need is another several million people who dont mind a vastly inferior user experience and they can start releasing some games for it.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:57:46
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think its a nice gimmick to have but as to what it will offer to the console over its lifespan? I think the hideous premium it puts on the kit would have been better spent on some more horses under the bonnet.

So, yes, it one or two tangible benefits but not as many as if they had spent the money elsewhere on things that are actually useful.
    This is the significantly more constructive post here. =)

I disagree, but it's a matter of different priorities. I plan on getting a PS4 or w/e so the idea of putting more horsepower under the bonnet doesn't particularly worry me. Things like graphics aren't a particularity big deal for me, and I know I'll have next gen games covered. If you're a one-console person it's probably a game changer, but I wouldn't want to get a Wii U if it offered exactly the same as the other two consoles... I don't have a 360 because it offers nothing that the PS3 wouldn't give me (not a fan of any 360 exclusives or shooters). And as far as Nintendo titles go, none of them really need the horsepower (though Zelda could always look prettier).

And again, off-screen gaming is a massive deal to some people. My friend's apartment has no space for a big TV. He does music and has three small monitors, but they're not comfortable for sitting back and gaming, so Gamepad playing suits him far more. It obviously won't be the case for everyone, but to some folks it's a massive deal. From what I gather about Japanese living situations, tight apartment living is a big thing there. The gamer with a 50-inch and time to burn? Maybe not so useful.

nickthegun wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Rather than doing it on their phones or one of the proper tablets lying around? Im fairly sure thats not going to happen.
    The web browser on the Gamepad is ahead of the other gaming consoles, it's pretty sharp. As far as speed goes, it almost matches tablets/phones and has a stylus, so it's just as good with the inbuilt convenience of being in the controller. It's just plain bigger and easier to read than a smartphone too, so I'd use it over my S3 for quickly checking something on GameFAQs. For extended browsing a tablet would be the preferred choice though.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 12:59:59 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who has a flat without room for a telly?

Hell, 50 will buy you something small enough for his tiny flat but better than the Gamepad's screen.

• Youthist 9 Jan 2013 13:02:01 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    426 pages of the same exact arguments and 'valid opinion' going round and round in circles? Excellent.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 9 Jan 2013 13:02:38 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Metacritic is wrong Pyschotext...

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 13:03:29 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, all 426 pages are in response to the WiiU's launch.

All of them.

Well done.

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 13:09:50
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Who has a flat without room for a telly?

Hell, 50 will buy you something small enough for his tiny flat but better than the Gamepad's screen.
    People outside of Britain come to mind...

He's got a decent sized apartment, but is a musician and the vast majority of his space is taken up by gear. He's got a desk with three monitors for mixing, but sitting on hard chair up against a desk while gaming (which I love) is not for everyone. When you want to sit back and relax, a 21 inch monitor isn't going to cut it. Sitting back in bed with a Gamepad, the screen is smaller but it's a lot more comfortable.

Personally I just don't care about screen size as much as comfort. I do get why the majority of EG readers would though- big screens and comfy gaming setups are more of a priority and that's cool.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 13:12:08 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So... Musicians, Crispy and japanese cubicle dwellers are the target audience for the gampad?

He totally called it

• Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 13:14:02 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Am I living in a world where suddenly you can't wallmount (or wardrobe mount for that matter)? If you have a bare surface pretty much anywhere you can stick a TV on it these days.

Yes, even in microscopic Japanese apartments.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 13:22:51 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ringu would have been a lot less scary if the world was like Jordyce imagines.

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 13:23:33 86,329 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought you meant Rango for a sec there.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 13:25:11 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought he meant Pingu. Though admittedly those igloos were lacking flat wallspace.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 13:27:11 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love somewhere like Amazon released a 'budget WiiU' bundle for those a bit strapped for cash that contained:

- a 360
    - a telly
    - better versions of multiplatform games

(sorry for obvious troll, couldn't resist)

• Youthist 9 Jan 2013 13:35:47 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah, all 426 pages are in response to the WiiU's launch.

All of them.

Well done.
    No problem.

• Page

of 1346 First / Last