Wii U Page 410

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• NOSAVIOUR 27 Dec 2012 07:23:23 2,804 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having spent the last few days playing the Wii U solid this is easily my favourite console experience in the launch period (have bought every console on release since the NES). I wasn't expecting much from Nintendoland and didn't get why Nintendo chose this over a Wii Sports 2, but having played it with family over Christmas it's just so much fun, scream out loud fun in places and most of the games feel like more then Maine games. Zombi U is something special too and to see something this hardcore and brutal as it at launch on a Nintendo system should be enough to convince people Nintendos attitudes to the market have changed. Mario U, Sonic Transformed and Trine 2 complete my gaming package and will keep me happy long after Rayman Legends and Pikimin 3 are out. It's easy to forget what makes Nintendo systems special until you have one in hand again and damn is it good to be back.
  • Gregolution 27 Dec 2012 08:44:28 3,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's one thing that worries me about the control options. Why did they decide to continue to support standard Wii motes? They should have supported wii motion plus only for the Wii U - you're just going to end up with very fragmented support for plus.

Being a huge fan of motion controls I'm really disappointed by this decision by Nintendo. There are hardly any Wii Motion Plus games so far and I can't see developers building in motion plus features to their games if not all of their audience will have the hardware.

You can say well they can always support both, but games are always better when they're built from the ground up for one control scheme.

(Actually the problem is even worse now with the gamepad and pro controller as well).
  • RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 08:53:57 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    There's one thing that worries me about the control options. Why did they decide to continue to support standard Wii motes? They should have supported wii motion plus only for the Wii U - you're just going to end up with very fragmented support for plus.

Being a huge fan of motion controls I'm really disappointed by this decision by Nintendo. There are hardly any Wii Motion Plus games so far and I can't see developers building in motion plus features to their games if not all of their audience will have the hardware.

You can say well they can always support both, but games are always better when they're built from the ground up for one control scheme.

(Actually the problem is even worse now with the gamepad and pro controller as well).
    It's not fractured or confusing at all!

All you need is:
    A gamepad to play main Wii-U games.
    A few Wii motes to play multiplayer.
    A pro controller or two to play multiplayer Zombi-U
    Some nun chucks (for the wii motes - sold seperately)
    Some motion plus adaptors
    Classic controllers to play Wii games with (eg Xenoblade)

And to be fair the gamepad is in the box, it is only the wiimotes, nunchuck, pro controllers, motion plus and classic controllers you will need to buy seperately.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 08:56:13
    Lol
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 11:31:38
    Console requiring extra controller for more than one player shocker.
  • vyseofhr 27 Dec 2012 11:36:09 818 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't understand the fuss. I owned 90% of that stuff before I even owned Wii U.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 11:36:28 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Console requiring one of 4 different types of extra controller that differs by game for more than one player shocker.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 11:37:08 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Exactly :lol: incredible, folk will find anything to drag it down.
  • Gregolution 27 Dec 2012 11:37:10 3,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think my post has been misinterpreted. What I was saying was I think the decision to keep supporting the standard Wii Motes is a mistake.

They should have forced Wii Motion Plus only, so all motion controlled games use more accurate controls. Devs need to know that users will have the hardware before building a game around it. The user base of the Wii U will be so fragmented between old wii motes, wii motion plus etc, its harder to get the dev support.
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 11:37:26 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Console requiring one of 4 different types of extra controller that differs by game for more than one player shocker.
    Fixed that for you.
    incorrectly.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 11:40:51
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Clearly not what is being said.
  • RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 11:50:42 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I am actually quite enjoying my Wii U.

That doesn't stop me from thinking the controller issue is absolutely insane. I got the wii u for my birthday just before christmas and had to go out and buy wii motes (24) so I could play MNSMB with the wife, then realised I needed a nunchuck (15 as nowhere had it second hand) as well. Then added one motion plus (7 so I can play Zelda Skyward Sword) and then still had to go out and buy a classic controller (15, still waiting for delivery) as the wiimote / nunchuck pairing is hateful in Xenoblade and for some reason you cannot use the pro pad as a classic controller despite it having all the same buttons.

Whereas with my 360 / PS3 to play multiplayer I went out and bought one extra controller.
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 11:54:07 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So you bought different controllers depending on your preference then?
  • RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 11:59:32 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    So you bought different controllers depending on your preference then?
    No, you need different controllers for different games. Most games only allow one type of controller. (The exception being the classic controller.)

Zelda only uses Motion Plus
    Zombui U only uses gamepad and pro
    and so on.
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 12:03:12 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a pro, a gamepad, some nunchuks and a bunch of wiimotes.
    I don't need the classic, and wouldn't buy it, I have plenty to play.

I dunno, it just seems you're looking for something to complain about when you made the conscious decision to fork out for a classic.

I have more than enough games on the wiiu without buying zelda etc though.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 12:08:48
    mowgli wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Clearly not what is being said.
    Oh, people are playing single player stuff with all these controllers at the same time? Amazing skills
  • RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 12:09:13 9,058 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I have a pro, a gamepad, some nunchuks and a bunch of wiimotes.
    I don't need the classic, and wouldn't buy it, I have plenty to play..
    Of which only the gamepad is boxed as standard.

It's not a major issue, and as I say, I am enjoying the wii u and I see this as an irritation rather that a major issue. It just seems that I have spent more on peripherals for the Wii u already thanks to the various controllers than I have in the entire lifetime of the 360 and PS3 combined. (Of which my total purchases are one extra controller each rather than the 7? purchases already for the Wii u.)

On the other hand my major issues are the short battery on the gamepad, and the pro pad not functioning as a classic controller, neither of which are enough to offset the good stuff I have seen so far.
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 12:12:52 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I won't argue with the battery power, it's very low :(
  • richardiox 27 Dec 2012 12:17:36 5,541 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I'm sure there's more than one controller on Ryan's list?
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 12:48:42 10,266 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Do we have to have the same bleating over and over again?
    It's a new console with diffferent controller support and backwards compatibility requiring another controller in places. If you can't live with it don't buy it and STFU.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 12:52:43 10,266 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I think my post has been misinterpreted. What I was saying was I think the decision to keep supporting the standard Wii Motes is a mistake.

They should have forced Wii Motion Plus only, so all motion controlled games use more accurate controls. Devs need to know that users will have the hardware before building a game around it. The user base of the Wii U will be so fragmented between old wii motes, wii motion plus etc, its harder to get the dev support.
    Yep, totally agree.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• AcidSnake 27 Dec 2012 13:34:58 7,214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS:

How can you emulate that? They have completely different specs...

It would only be possible for Wii games that did not use any motion sensing/pointer at all, which would be a very small number of games...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ResidentKnievel 27 Dec 2012 13:47:46 6,111 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Coincidentally, the Wii games that don't require motion controls or pointing happen to be some of the best games on the system.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Raiko101 27 Dec 2012 13:58:52 6,056 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely that would have to be reworked for each game, individually? Some games just wouldn't be playable either as you'd not be able to move the cursor around fast enough, or accurately enough. Some games would feel even more confusing to play too, as they'd require motion and pointer control at the same time. Can't see it ever happening.

Edited by Raiko101 at 14:01:57 27-12-2012

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• AcidSnake 27 Dec 2012 14:05:12 7,214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel:
    Honestly can't think of a single one that doesn't use pointing/motion in some degree...Though I haven't played Pandora/Xenoblade and such...

@DarkSpaceDS:
    Even if the pro controller has motion control (I'm unsure if it does) that would exclude any games that use dual motion control (wiimote + nunchuck)...Also using an analogue stick to simulate the pointer is unfeasible IMO, the pointer is just made for much faster movements...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 14:06:26 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Pro Controller doesn't have (at least it hasn't utilised) motion control. And if it did, it would be as unwieldy as the sixaxis.
  • Gregolution 27 Dec 2012 14:14:48 3,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I've just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zelda Skyword Sword, SMG 1 + 2, Donkey Kong and Wii Sports Resort.

Need to quit my job to have any hope of getting through all that on top my PS backlog.
  • Page

of 1346 First / Last