Wii U Page 390

• Page

of 1348 First / Last

• RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 13:02:33 9,070 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Have you got a Wii remote to play with?
    Wii Motes lack analogue sticks and vaguely usable buttons.
  • Razz 10 Dec 2012 13:16:30 60,789 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was like that at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. It's not an excuse for Nintendo though, it is pretty shit. I would've liked the ability to use the classic/classic pro/Wii u pro controller. Or to simply turn the Gamepad screen off!

Edited by Razz at 13:17:29 10-12-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Buenos_Estente 10 Dec 2012 13:45:57 268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Razz Is there not the option to turn the screen off using the home button and controller settings ( I may have imagined it)

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Razz 10 Dec 2012 13:49:22 60,789 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Buenos_Estente Yes, but only if you're not using it. The gamepad will turn back on once you push a button on it. I usually turn off the Gamepad screen when playing 1p with a wiimote.

Edited by Razz at 13:49:38 10-12-2012

• Buenos_Estente 10 Dec 2012 13:50:44 268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah thats a bugger - never tried it, I do find if the gamepad is mirroring the TV I do solely look at gamepad too

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• L0cky 10 Dec 2012 15:12:56 1,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well there's the solution - turn off the tv :p
  • Raiko101 10 Dec 2012 15:52:46 6,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Have you got a Wii remote to play with?
    Wii Motes lack analogue sticks and vaguely usable buttons.
    I find 2D platformers are much better suited to d-pads as they're more responsive with such games. Each to their own though, I guess.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Razz 10 Dec 2012 16:25:06 60,789 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah if you have tiny midget hands! The d-pad on the wiimote is really small! I've got used to it now, but as a 6'7 muscular brown man with huge hands, I look rather ridiculous

• King_Edward 10 Dec 2012 16:46:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha "brown". :D

Edited by King_Edward at 16:46:27 10-12-2012
  • Sid-Nice 10 Dec 2012 23:12:24 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii U sold 307,471 units in Japan over the launched weekend; SMBU was the top selling game with 160,140 57.6% of stock, next was Monster Hunter 3 106,454 72.6% of stock in third place was Nintendo Land (not bundled in Japan) 66.583 33% of stock. ZombiU only managed to sell 28.8% of stock 10,680 units.

Edit:

In comparison the Wii sold 350,358 units with Wii Sports 176,000 units, Wii Play 174,000 units and Twilight Princess 139,000 units.

Edited by Sid-Nice at 23:17:10 10-12-2012

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sandbox 10 Dec 2012 23:48:02 339 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well. Surprised Mrs Sandbox with a 8GB and a copy of NSMB yesterday and seems to have been a great success. Rigged up a 500gb drive to it, all good so far. It did not like my netgear bridge, so linked it to new BT home hub and seems much happier. Wanted the basic to keep the white aesthetic going.

Mrs S currently giving Mario a good work out, I tried Trine last night and it looks really good on the tablet screen. As bedroom above the sitting room I can use the controller in bed which is nice.

Thinking about Nintendo world for the kids at Christmas, what do people think of it? Also is it worth getting a pro controller for the likes of Tekken?
  • roz123 11 Dec 2012 00:23:40 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess you mean Nintendo Land? I would recommend it, imo the multiplayer games are more fun then Wii Sports and the single player games are kind of like modern versions of arcade games.
    A lot of games like Tekken and Trine support the wii classic controllers as well as the new pro controller so if you have one of those it might not be worth getting the new one just yet
  • Jmog 11 Dec 2012 01:15:56 391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Speaking of the gamepad I am actually starting to get quite annoyed by it.

I find I cannot play Mario on the TV as the screen is too distracting. It really needs a way to stop mirroring the TV if you don't want it to.
    I second that - it really should be possible. I find though that lowering the Gamepad brightness to 1 and turning on power save makes it much less distracting. I almost never notice it then. A shame it can't be turned completely off though in order to save power.
  • BryanAKADJ 11 Dec 2012 02:04:01 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Still haven't gotten mine in yet. Damn it.
    "We'll send it as fast as we can." Its been 2 weeks and your in Alberta, I've gotten stuff from Toronto faster.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Dec 2012 08:30:49 3,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gone crazy over the last few days - picked up the Metroid Prime Trilogy (because i never got to play it on the Wii), Black Ops 2 and Assassins Creed III.

Played the two Wii U games first and i've been very impressed - both BLOPS and AC look excellent and both play brilliantly on the GamePad. Seeing as the mrs wanted to watch Masterchef last night, the genius of the GamePad presented itself.

:D

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• markyHD 11 Dec 2012 08:57:51 455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've played up to mission 6 on BLOPS2 without even switching the TV on. Magic, and has saved me a horrendous weekend of reality TV \o/

In fact, my TV is old (bought on ps3 launch day) and far from calibrated with horrible red hues, so the gamepad actually gives me a superior experience :o

I actually bought a vita for this reason and have since sold it because remote play is clearly never going to materialise.

Edited by markyHD at 08:58:57 11-12-2012

Edited by markyHD at 08:59:37 11-12-2012
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 09:08:26
    For the people who have Black ops, how does it compare online, to the Xbox version. Not bothered about single player or even zombies.
    Is it smooth playing wirelessly. Is it easy to find a game?

If I picked one of these up if defo have to have an online MP to play.

Normally I'd just race out and buy the bloody console, why am I so torn!! Arrrrrgh
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Dec 2012 09:12:54 3,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @NeverEatYellowSnow

Last night was my first experience of the online play with the Wii U (on BLOPS 2) and it was excellent.

For some reason, my NAT was set to moderate but i still had no problem whatsoever finding a fully populated game.

The performance is very smooth, didnt notice any lag at all. I got my buttocks handed to me for the first few games i played as i wasnt used to using the GamePad, after half an hour though i got the hang of it and i ended the night with a positive K/D ratio.

Bottom line - Black Ops 2 is excellent on the WiiU.

• Sandbox 11 Dec 2012 10:21:13 339 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    I guess you mean Nintendo Land? I would recommend it, imo the multiplayer games are more fun then Wii Sports and the single player games are kind of like modern versions of arcade games.
    A lot of games like Tekken and Trine support the wii classic controllers as well as the new pro controller so if you have one of those it might not be worth getting the new one just yet
    Great thanks, very useful information, I will dig out our old controllers.
  • Gambit1977 11 Dec 2012 10:25:47 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave Totally agree mate. we should have a game sometime!
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Dec 2012 10:39:42 3,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gambit1977

I'll be on there most nights mate, Nintendo ID is TheBigMull.

Just found this piece Jim Sterling did on playing Black Ops 2 on the WiiU.

I absolutely detest this bloke, but i cant help agreeing with him in this case....

• Gambit1977 11 Dec 2012 10:46:53 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool mate, will do. Surprised we've not added each other...
  • BryanAKADJ 11 Dec 2012 10:53:20 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My black (new) pro controller is now here along with (New) BLOPS 2, (New) ZombiU, 2 just opened Wii Remotes with plus. No console though.

/hard-knock life
    /not really

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:10:15
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    @NeverEatYellowSnow

Last night was my first experience of the online play with the Wii U (on BLOPS 2) and it was excellent.

For some reason, my NAT was set to moderate but i still had no problem whatsoever finding a fully populated game.

The performance is very smooth, didnt notice any lag at all. I got my buttocks handed to me for the first few games i played as i wasnt used to using the GamePad, after half an hour though i got the hang of it and i ended the night with a positive K/D ratio.

Cheers for the info fella, how are you finding the Wii U in general? Are you happy with it?
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:16:15
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    @Gambit1977

I'll be on there most nights mate, Nintendo ID is TheBigMull.

Just found this piece Jim Sterling did on playing Black Ops 2 on the WiiU.

I absolutely detest this bloke, but i cant help agreeing with him in this case....
    Good read actually
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Dec 2012 12:55:33 3,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    @NeverEatYellowSnow

Cheers for the info fella, how are you finding the Wii U in general? Are you happy with it?

I posted my thoughts a couple of pages back mate, ill stick them below this post. Basically im chuffed to bits with it, a great little console with some cracking launch games. You cant underestimate just how special the GamePad is too, genuinely the first "next-gen" product.

Well, i have had a few hours with the console and the four games i have picked up at launch, finally time for some opinions. First off, i would like to state for the record i am not a fanboy of any kind - i own a 360 and a PS3, with the 360 being my console of choice.
    I thought the original Wii was absolute crap and, initially, i purchased the Wii U because i have more money than sense - and my sense is very limited :

Console
    initial impressions of the Wii U?, Very positive. The console itself is very nicely put together and has some excellent features. The Miiverse is a nice little social network which, i imagine, would become extremely useful if you had quite a few of your friends on there.

The eShop is much improved over the Wii. The layout is much clearer and its designed very nicely - the less said about the prices the better however!.

Apps like YouTube, Netflix and Lovefilm are a nice touch and they bring the Wii U a bit closer to the 360/PS3 in terms of what they have to offer apart from games.

Overall, the console itself has made a very good first impression.

Gamepad
    Initially i was very sceptical, i thought it would be some kind of gimmicky product that wouldn't work very well with the console. However, i am willing to admit when i'm wrong : The GamePad is fantastic. It is the one feature that the Wii U can truly say makes it "Next Gen".

Personally, i like the design of it. Some people think its too big, too light, cheaply made, etc. For me, it fits in the hands perfectly and the weight is spot on - i was also pleasantly surprised that Nintendo implemented a rumble feature, which does help when playing games like ZombiU.

When it comes to the games, i think the way the GamePad has been used in ZombiU is genius. Being able to scan environments, which actually transports you momentarily into the game, is a joy. Using the GamePad as a map is also very innovative, especially seeing as the game drops you into the middle of the London underground.

You see another genius use of the GamePad when you play something like Sonic AllStars too - playing multiplayer with another person, instead of playing split-screen as you would on the 360/PS3, one person uses the pad, the other uses the pro controller and the TV, and neither person has an advantage over the other.

In the future, if other split-screen co-op games are released multi-platform, i think i will find myself leaning towards the Wii U versions if this feature is implemented again. I would have loved to have seen Borderlands 2 on the Wii U.

Overall, the GamePad is the true innovation of the Wii U. I have no idea what Microsoft and Sony are planning for their next consoles, but i wouldnt be surprised if both implement a similar product.

Games
    In my opinion, the most important thing. At launch, i purchased the following games :

- ZombiU
    - New Super Mario Brothers U
    - Sonic All Stars Transformed
    - Nintendo Land

ZombiU is a delight. The innovative use of the GamePad (as mentioned above), the graphics, the sound design and the brilliant Zombies all combine to make a truly memorable product. The sense of the threat and tension throughout the game, which is heightened by 'perma-death', is really nerve shredding and really adds to the atmosphere.

NSMBU is not a massive step-up from the previous games in the franchise, like others have said though its nice to see a Mario game in HD. The beautifully designed levels and colourful graphics really come to life with the upgrade and Mario has never looked better. Also, as simple as it sounds, being able to transfer the game to the GamePad and play elsewhere is a masterstroke.

Sonic All Stars is an excellent kart racer. Obviously, its filling the void until Mario Kart U is released, but is has merits all of its own. The flying/Boating sections are excellent and the game is simply loads of fun.

Nintendo Land is the weakest game of the bunch, but not a turd by any means. Single-player can get a bit dull and pointless, despite some clever uses of the GamePad, but in Multiplayer the game comes alive. A perfect game to stick on when people come to visit over Christmas.

Final Word

Impressive. It hasnt offended or abused me in any way and has even provided some moments of genuine joy. People keep talking about CPUs, GPUS, Clock speeds, etc, etc. None of that means anything to me - simply switching the console on and trying it for yourself, there are no technical inferiorities that present themselves.

The GamePad is clearly the star of the show when it comes to the Wii U. It is the one feature the Wii U has that makes it stand apart from the 360/PS3 and it is the first "Next Gen" product that has been produced IMO.

Overall, i am very happy with my purchases and i am looking forward to seeing what Nintendo (and 3rd party publishers) come up with next.

• roz123 11 Dec 2012 13:54:16 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decorate your Wii U

http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Nintendo-Wii-U-Skins
  • dave-on 11 Dec 2012 14:36:04 24 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some nice skins there, but I would trust myself to apply them.

@Ultrasoundwave How much did you pay for Metroid Trilogy? I have looked at it a few times but can't bring myself to pay a mad price for it.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Dec 2012 14:47:18 3,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dave-on wrote:
    Some nice skins there, but I would trust myself to apply them.

@Ultrasoundwave How much did you pay for Metroid Trilogy? I have looked at it a few times but can't bring myself to pay a mad price for it.

@dave-on

It wasn't pretty mate, in fact im genuinely worried to post the price on here just incase my mrs somehow found out how much i paid.

Fuck it :

If she does find out, i've already come up with my reasonings. Im going with "If its worth 50 now, what will it be worth in 10 years????"

• dave-on 11 Dec 2012 14:52:24 24 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ouch, yea looks about what I've seen. I know it's gonna be worth it. Just seems like an awful lot.
  • Page

of 1348 First / Last