Wii U Page 389

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Pure-Ultra 9 Dec 2012 20:27:49 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    I'm totally torn about getting this or not!!

I'm reading lots of mixed feelings regarding the console.
    I'll have some spare cash with Xmas coming up.
    Grrrrrr what to do!!! My gut is saying no, but I'm a sucker for new hardware and I love the feeling Nintendo gives you playing its games.
    Same here! Massive dilemma.

For those who have taken the plunge, can you advise whether or not the console has an optical out as well as the HDMI?
  • Cappy 9 Dec 2012 20:29:26 11,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the Wii U ports so far could hardly be called rushed, most seem to have been in development for a year upwards. People piled in on Mass Effect 3 as a bad port when it turned out to have been in development for more than a year, in comparison to the rest it was actually one of the good ports.

Nintendo wouldn't payout for the advertising currently hitting television without games that utilised the gamepad at the end of it.

We'll see what happens after the launch period when the Nintendo marketing money dries up and it's the more typical ports done in two months or less that the non-lead platform gets.

Edited by Cappy at 20:33:47 09-12-2012
  • Baleoce 9 Dec 2012 21:05:16 1,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If I have to pull the mains from this Wii U one more time.. jesus christ. Why the fuck does holding hte power button on the actual console not work after the system crashes?

Edited by Baleoce at 21:07:22 09-12-2012

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• NOSAVIOUR 9 Dec 2012 21:23:01 2,804 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Psychotext having trouble with my superhub and Wii u, what router would you recommend? Is it easy enough to put the superhub into modem mode, and take it ill still get same speeds?
  • figaro7 9 Dec 2012 21:36:30 1,363 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ive ordered mine, wont be picking it up until i have some cash after xmas, would be nice to have it by the xmas break but not likely. I guess if your not sure whether to pick it up, looking forward to the exclusives upcoming, rayman legends, the wonderful 101, pikmin 3, even lego city undercover looks good. Albeit these games might be of some acquired taste, but thats a nintendo system for you. Its a damn shame a wii u version of dark souls 2 isnt coming, bayonetta 2 eases the pain a bit though.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 21:37:56
    It's a peice of cake to access modem mode fella.
    Just go into the default IP address. 192.168... And set it through that.
  • neilka 9 Dec 2012 22:31:59 15,962 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, bit late this week.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-on-wii-u-face-off
    In the final analysis, the PS3 version remains the most impressive version of the game with higher-quality textures in places and superior performance, followed by the 360 release, while the Wii U sits in last place.
    Oh dear.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Lyserberg 9 Dec 2012 22:39:41 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey, the funny guy is in the Wii U topic !
    This couldn't get any better... :D

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Frogofdoom 10 Dec 2012 07:28:10 888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pure-Ultra wrote:
    For those who have taken the plunge, can you advise whether or not the console has an optical out as well as the HDMI?
    No it doesnt, it carries the 5.1 over hdmi meaning your av amp needs to support LPCM (mine doesnt). So in the mean time i have opted to use my wii component cable instead so i at least get the audio to my amp for stereo :(
  • Raiko101 10 Dec 2012 11:12:43 6,315 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I doubt the Darksiders II verdict was going to disapoint anyone. Who was buying a Wii U for that? I'd rather give Funky Barn a spin.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 11:15:21 9,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dissappointed me as I was going to get that version, mainly for the remote play thing.

Now I think I will just get the PS3 one.
  • Raiko101 10 Dec 2012 11:18:58 6,315 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You should get Funky Barn! :cool:

• Fake_Blood 10 Dec 2012 11:29:11 4,215 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Pure-Ultra wrote:
    No it doesnt, it carries the 5.1 over hdmi meaning your av amp needs to support LPCM (mine doesnt). So in the mean time i have opted to use my wii component cable instead so i at least get the audio to my amp for stereo :(
    What's the image quality like over component?
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Dec 2012 11:32:03 3,305 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Dissappointed me as I was going to get that version, mainly for the remote play thing.

Personally, i would look at how the game has reviewed rather than the technical specs of it.

Whose going to sit down to play Darksiders II on the WiiU and spend the entire time thinking "ooh, i noticed the frame rate dropped to 25fps there, thats inferior to the 360/PS3 version".......

Fucks sake.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Frogofdoom 10 Dec 2012 11:34:39 888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Someone posted an image comparison which made the colours look better over component, but i cant find it for the life of me now. The picture is certainly sharp and vibrant at 1080p though.

I will probably go to hdmi eventually when i can get an AV amp that supports the audio format though as i do miss the 5.1. Its just December isnt the best time to ask the missus if i can have the funds to replace a piece of kit that works perfectly well for everything else :D

edit: found it http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii-u/1710873-hdmi-vs-official-wii-component-cable.html

Edited by Frogofdoom at 11:36:45 10-12-2012
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 11:35:28
    People do though, you only need to read this thread to see how obsessed people are by specs and shit.
  • RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 11:39:45 9,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Personally, i would look at how the game has reviewed rather than the technical specs of it.

Whose going to sit down to play Darksiders II on the WiiU and spend the entire time thinking "ooh, i noticed the frame rate dropped to 25fps there, thats inferior to the 360/PS3 version".......

Fucks sake.
    As I have all the consoles at home I get to chose which one I want the game on.

Wii U - remote play & £40
    PS3 - Marginally better specs and £20.

I don't quite get why you take it as a personal insult that I would go for the marginally better version than the one that is double the price, and review wise it's the same game, so it is the specs and price that will decide it for me.
  • Lyserberg 10 Dec 2012 11:39:54 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    People do though, you only need to read this thread to see how obsessed people are by specs and shit.
    I like how you said it:

Specs and shit...

There's tearing, there's more latency in controls, bad FPS isn't just bad FPS, and for that reason i don't give a shit about console games unless they are exclusive or running at a very solid framerate.
    That said, F*** everything, PC all the way...

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Deleted user 10 December 2012 11:41:00
    It's also a shit game so who cares? As you say, if you want the best version buy the PC version.
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Dec 2012 11:44:32 3,305 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Fucks sake.
    As I have all the consoles at home I get to chose which one I want the game on.

Wii U - remote play & £40
    PS3 - Marginally better specs and £20.

I don't quite get why you take it as a personal insult that I would go for the marginally better version than the one that is double the price, and review wise it's the same game, so it is the specs and price that will decide it for me.

I've got no argument with price, going for the cheaper option makes sense - personally, if i saw the Wii U and PS3 versions of Darksiders II running side by side, i wouldnt be able to tell the difference, but obviously some people can.

You said you were leaning towards the WiiU version for the remote play and (again, personally) i wouldnt plump for the PS3 version because its got a few extra frames per second or whatever.

I honestly couldnt give less of a shit.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Lyserberg 10 Dec 2012 11:45:33 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't even want this game, some random guy told me that he liked it alot...
    I'm just say'in that bad stuff is bad stuff, ultrasoundwave statement is somewhat wrong, because if you have both consoles, you are unlikely to get the worse version out of the mix...
    EDIT: And again if you're looking for an argument, i couldn't come up with worse than tearing, environnement omissions and more latency to the controls as a deal breaker if you have both consoles.
    Also the screen of the gamepad is far from being ideal for gaming, compressed 480p footage ?? Come on... for god sake...

Edited by Lyserberg at 11:47:53 10-12-2012

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• ResidentKnievel 10 Dec 2012 11:47:56 6,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think people complaining about the Wii U specs are really bothered that ports drop a few frames, they're bothered about ports not being vastly superior to previous gen versions.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• johnson81 10 Dec 2012 11:51:11 377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be honest I think the DF face-off said the same thing about Black ops 2. I finished the single players campaign last week on the gamepad and only the gamepad (which I found to be superb), and didn't come across any noticeable problems compared to the PS3, which I finished on Veteran on release week. Multiplayer also works great on the gamepad.

I'm loving the off-screen gaming, so much so that I'm getting worried about my Vita. Sony should have enabled remote play for every PS3 game as it is ideal for my situation.

If a multiplatform game allows me to play off-screen, this will be the deciding factor for me purchasing the game.
  • Razz 10 Dec 2012 12:12:04 61,205 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's amazing, I've played most of Mario on the Gamepad. I actually keep it upstairs in the bedroom so I can play games, watch stuff on netflix, browse the internet etc... and only bring it downstairs for after work play sessions. I might actually invest in a second Gamepad so I can keep one in the front room, but I might wait for some funky designs to come out. Maybe a "classy" Gold Zelda themed one. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 12:20:26 9,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of the gamepad I am actually starting to get quite annoyed by it.

I find I cannot play Mario on the TV as the screen is too distracting. It really needs a way to stop mirroring the TV if you don't want it to.
  • roz123 10 Dec 2012 12:20:40 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lyserberg wrote:

Also the screen of the gamepad is far from being ideal for gaming, compressed 480p footage ?? Come on... for god sake...
    People go on about the gamepad being 480p but its pixel density is actually as good as an iPad/iPad mini. I notice more pixels looking at a 42 inch screen @ 720p from about 5/6 foot away then I do looking at the pad.
  • Fake_Blood 10 Dec 2012 12:23:18 4,215 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Speaking of the gamepad I am actually starting to get quite annoyed by it.

I find I cannot play Mario on the TV as the screen is too distracting. It really needs a way to stop mirroring the TV if you don't want it to.
    Having the screen off would increase battery life too.
  • Sid-Nice 10 Dec 2012 12:58:06 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @NOSAVIOUR Changing the Super Hub into modem mode is simple; just click on Super Hub setting and choose “Modem Mode.” If you go into Advanced Setting and click on DHCP Reservations and add the Wii U manually this might resolve your wireless problems.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Raiko101 10 Dec 2012 12:59:15 6,315 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have you got a Wii remote to play with?

• LeoliansBro 10 Dec 2012 13:00:20 44,273 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, or you could find other clunky workarounds. How about having it permanently on charge and sticking a large piece of cardboard over the screen?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 1363 First / Last