Wii U Page 364

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 04:33:08 27,355 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Impressions on the WiiU browser (I'll try to be brief):

It's certainly fast, I'll give it that (you can probably see where I'm going with this...)

Lack of multitouch fundamentally hurts it as an intuitive touchscreen-based app. I want to pinch and stretch to zoom, not rely on obscure icons that take up valuable screen real estate and trial and error (is the magnifying glass for zooming in? No, that opens a search bar. Maybe this icon of a smaller square in a bigger one? no again, etc)

The default zoom level is unreadable unless the text is at least 18pt. Standard font size of 10-14 on most sites means you have to use the crap interface to read anything once a page is loaded.

No tabbed browsing, no allowance of multiple windows: Not everyone uses a touchscreen browser to look at things in isolation. If you're using it to write something, the crippling effect this has on copy/pasting text on the fly renders it all but useless for this purpose.

It doesn't assume the use of www. only http://. A minor point, but it slows things down. People are used to putting in google.com, not http://www.google.com into their address bar.

Video playback seems fine, no complaints there.

It has gameplay opporunities (more on this in a sec).

Overall: It's crap as a browser if you have better options to hand. If you're in the living room, it's quite possible you have a laptop on the coffee table or a tablet next to you. Use that. Hell, your mobile phone probably offers a better interface, use that. Just don't use the WiiU browser if you have an alternative.

Gameplay: This is really really conditional and I'm not talking smartglass-style stuff here, though that could certainly fulfill the same purpose.

About a decade ago there was a bloody brilliant PC game called In Memoriam (obscure but cheap if you get it on ebay these days, and when I checked last year it was still perfectly playable even after nearly a decade from the dev going bust), presented as a modern way to seek public help in a case police couldn't solve, that used the concept of an ARG to seed the real internet with fake but genuine-looking (as long as you didn't do whois search) treasure hunt for clues. It even sent you actual emails from in-game characters to help reinforce the illusion of it being genuine - from the police thanking you for being part of the scheme, to eventually messages from the perpetrator sending you threats (apparently depending on the country you lived in you even got threatening phone calls in the middle of the night, though something tells me it wasn't the first game to do that).

Having a browser, however crap in terms of interface, integrated into the controller really opens up console gaming to that sort of ARG experience, particularly when combined with stuff like motion control and the whole window-to-the-world approach of holding the pad up and the game superimposing things over what you're looking at. For those reasons, the very act of having a broswer inside the controller creates some pretty cool gameplay opportunities.

As a general-use browser however, no matter how fast it is, it's fucking shit in terms of ease of use even compared to a mobile phone on 3G.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 04:41:30 54,179 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Psychotext

msrketplace or actual amazon stock?
    Actual Amazon with prime delivery and everything... take a look, they're still in stock right now.
  • PhoenixFlames 1 Dec 2012 07:37:05 8,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not reading a lot of "OMG this is awesome" in here. Is everyone who has one a bit underwhelmed?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• griff_dai 1 Dec 2012 07:41:37 420 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    griff_dai wrote:
    Traded:
    Hitman
    Halo 4
    and
    XCOM

CEX trade in: 84.00
    GAME: 51:00

AS CeX is within the mile GAME were forced to trade in price match :)

Walked out with FC3 and 41 quid on a gift card and 9 on the rewards card.... That may go towards a Wii U
    My local CEX is on the same street as Gamestation (so same thing as Game these days). They actively collude to not compete with each other on price right in front of customers - I've been in gamestation when someone from CEX strolled in and they swapped information about how much each shop was offering on trade in for a certain game (can't remember which one, it was ages ago).

Given the trade in prices are handed down from head office I assume they then feed that information back (assuming this happens in various places due to regional differences in demand?). Might explain why on some titles theres a huge difference in some titles and not others - on the big titles they can both rip off customers equally without losing customers to each other.
    cex prices are fixed and set at head office. The stores have no descretion.
    I never said otherwise!
    If I could work out how to upload pics I could show you the difference....

Why do GAME do this with CeX anyway, do CeX only trade in used games??? Lucky I also have a HMV within the 1 mile distance.....
  • Scurrminator 1 Dec 2012 07:44:57 8,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Rufus wrote:
    I can say with first hand experience (I work for GAME) that there is no regional price setting. You do know that, like CEX, GAME's trade in prices are on the website?
    ime they differ from what the actual stores offer. ive used the website to get an idea of my tradein but ended up being given a different quote at the counter. i assumed because it is cheaper o run a website despite competing with others than it is to operate bricks and mortar with higher maintenance fees, meaning they can sell on smaller margins whilst potentially getting more profit than stores.

/posted from my gamepad
    CEX have set prices. The price they have on the site is the price you get in the shops (CEX). Print it off, take it in and see if you're being scammed. Maybe you just look like a mug!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 07:51:13
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    I'm not reading a lot of "OMG this is awesome" in here. Is everyone who has one a bit underwhelmed?
    Obvious candidates are, well, obvious in their enthusiasm. Everyone else not so much.
  • nickthegun 1 Dec 2012 07:53:29 59,902 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bet you have one by the 26th.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 07:55:18
    I hope I do.
  • roz123 1 Dec 2012 09:12:41 7,113 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @darkmorgado It has tabbed browsing
  • Gambit1977 1 Dec 2012 09:14:26 9,642 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure I've not entered http: or www. And got to the site I wanted.
  • roz123 1 Dec 2012 09:26:54 7,113 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://m.uk.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Internet_Browser
    You can hide the menus as well

Edited by roz123 at 09:28:59 01-12-2012
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 09:29:19
    There are 50 pages of non stop praise in here.

Apparently.
  • Rusty_M 1 Dec 2012 09:42:30 4,679 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the In Memoriam reference. I didn't have broadband when I played it, so it was almost unplayable for me. It had some great ideas though.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Armoured_Bear 1 Dec 2012 09:42:32 11,121 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Picked mine up, dropped it off at home then flew to Singapore, will be waiting for me in the 26th :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 09:45:19
    That's pretty fucking stupid thing to do.
  • Progguitarist 1 Dec 2012 09:45:49 10,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Impressions on the WiiU browser (I'll try to be brief):

Try harder.
  • Progguitarist 1 Dec 2012 09:46:18 10,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli He's hardly going to bring it on a plane/holiday is he?
  • NotSoSlim 1 Dec 2012 09:47:12 3,124 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wish Ubi had done Far Cry on this wouod have been a top seller imo
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 09:50:22
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @mowgli He's hardly going to bring it on a plane/holiday is he?
    Couldn't he just buy it a month from now?
  • Progguitarist 1 Dec 2012 09:52:24 10,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shops aren't open on the 26th!
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 09:54:35
    Where are you from? They open at like 5am where I am! Boxing day sales.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Dec 2012 09:54:40 11,121 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Shops aren't open on the 26th!
    Exactly and it was reserved, coming back from holiday on Boxing Day with a new console to play with doesn't sound too stupid to me Mongli.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 09:59:51
    Fair enough if they aren't open where you are. Just seemed odd buying a console to store for a month!
  • Progguitarist 1 Dec 2012 10:01:49 10,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously though, who leaves the house on Boxing Day?

Sales are for mentalists.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 10:03:50
    totally agree.
  • Lexx87 1 Dec 2012 10:26:04 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Where are you from? They open at like 5am where I am! Boxing day sales.
    Yes because buying it now ready to use is much more stupid, than waking up at 5am, on the busiest fuckin' shopping day of the year, trying to find a WiiU in the shops.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 1 December 2012 10:33:28
    Not waking up especially if he is travelling home though. Try again. Or just toddle off.
  • Gambit1977 1 Dec 2012 10:36:00 9,642 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus talk about clutching at straws :lol:
  • Gaol 1 Dec 2012 10:37:22 2,357 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Psychotext

msrketplace or actual amazon stock?
    Actual Amazon with prime delivery and everything... take a look, they're still in stock right now.
    Loads of stock around. Tesco, Play, Amazon, Game. There's never been a point where you couldn't order one of these things.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last