Wii U Page 352

• Page

of 1369 First / Last

• spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:17:54 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @darkmorgado Sometimes, if you need the buzz to drive sales. However I think Nintendo don't really need the loss leader sales, just some more hype to let the public know this thing is out and new.
    You have a point, you'd really expect to have their marketing in full gear.

Perhaps they're holding off due to the proximity of Christmas.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 30 Nov 2012 12:18:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado it has to be said that the PS3 is one of the worst designed consoles in the history of gaming. A complex expensive processor, a hideously expensive low yield slow reading drive, astronomical launch losses.

If Sony had released a slightly more powerful version of the Xbox with DVD at the same time as 360 they would have wiped the floor with Microsoft.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 12:18:28 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:20:10 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Common estimates that think the cost of a console is purely hardware components and no recovery of development costs.
    Actually I think that is assumed, but it takes time before the R&D cost starts to come to light because it isn't something that is normally immediately disclosed or possible to estimate.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 30 Nov 2012 12:20:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado Maybe, but once the buzz dies its hard to get it back. It took a big price cut to reignite it with 3DS.

Wii did so on word of mouth, not sure if WiiU will do so well.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 12:21:15
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    They're waiting until afterwards to minimise inflicting massive disappointment to children all across the world.
  • RobTheBuilder 30 Nov 2012 12:21:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado Don't forget that as well a gigantic hardware loss, PS3 suffered initially from a very low attach rate as a number of people bought it only for Blu Ray.
  • Sid-Nice 30 Nov 2012 12:22:00 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think when gamerís and non-gamerís alike get hands on experience with the Wii U over the Christmas period sales will pick up dramatically. The majority of people with a disposable income will be looking towards Apple products for under the Christmas tree this year.

The Nintendo market research team have failed; theyíll have visited gaming sites like Eurogamer and have seen 10,500 comments on the Wii U and assumed the console will be popular, not realising that 9,999 of the comments were negative digs at Nintendo.

Edited by Sid-Nice at 12:23:20 30-11-2012

NNID Sid-Nice

• Fake_Blood 30 Nov 2012 12:22:13 4,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, not gonna crack today. Most of all because of lack of games I want. And nintendo's promese of awesome games in the future is meaningless today.
    Might change my mind if I'm really bored one day, or if it gets hacked.
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:22:15 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    Probably worded badly.

I meant that they might be waiting for the seasonal retail push to start before heaping all their marketing in period before/at launch when the two are fairly close together, as the Christmas marketing and retail stampede tends to be more important as people are buying gifts for others more than themselves.

• nickthegun 30 Nov 2012 12:22:48 60,424 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are just thinking of the parents:

'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'no'
    'Is it ready yet?'
    'GO AND PLAY WITH YOUR FUCKING TRANSFORMERS!'

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 30 Nov 2012 12:23:10 60,424 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The seasonal retail push starts in november.

• Deleted user 30 November 2012 12:23:23
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Common estimates that think the cost of a console is purely hardware components and no recovery of development costs.
    Actually I think that is assumed, but it takes time before the R&D cost starts to come to light because it isn't something that is normally immediately disclosed or possible to estimate.
    I'm sorry, my response was a statement. The estimates did exclude development costs.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 12:23:49
    nickthegun wrote:
    The seasonal retail push starts in november.
    2013, apparently.
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:25:10 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @darkmorgado Don't forget that as well a gigantic hardware loss, PS3 suffered initially from a very low attach rate as a number of people bought it only for Blu Ray.
    I know that's why I bought it. At the time, the PS3 as a console and a media player was significantly cheaper than the dedicated media players themselves.

They did a similar thing with the PS2 and DVD (and stuff historically like Minidisc). They use their hardware to push media formats as much as generate profit from the hardware itself.

• LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 12:25:59 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    Probably worded badly.

I meant that they might be waiting for the seasonal retail push to start before heaping all their marketing in period before/at launch when the two are fairly close together, as the Christmas marketing and retail stampede tends to be more important as people are buying gifts for others more than themselves.
    They timed the launch to coincide with Christmas shopping, which has already started. The fact that many people either don't know about it, misunderstand it or plain don't want it is a disaster for them.

• spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:27:39 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    They're waiting until afterwards to minimise inflicting massive disappointment to children all across the world.
    The last 50 pages of this thread are evidence of very little disappointment amongst people who own the machine.

• RobTheBuilder 30 Nov 2012 12:28:17 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado Yep. A badly thought out gamble that ruined the PS3's long term success in order to win a format war that wasn't overly rewarding!

Funny thing about the minidisc, I loved mine. I remember saying in about 2000 that Sony should create a handheld console using minidisc :)

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 12:29:45 30-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 12:28:53 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    49 of those pages are 'It's updating, can't wait to see what the games are like when they come out'.

• beastmaster 30 Nov 2012 12:29:00 11,589 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The three steps of a not so great console launch.

1. "Order now to avoid disappointment! Stocks low!"

2. "Stocks selling out FAST! Buy NOW! It's fucking Xmas!!!"

3. "Hey! Hey! Over here! Over here! Anytime! Anytime..."

Or something.

I don't think I'd have a problem walking into any shop and buying one even up to the run up to Xmas. Probably still be able to get one on Xmas eve.

There are a few things wrong with this launch.

1. Using the Wii brand. Couldn't they have called it the Nintendo Revolution or ANYTHING other than Wii U? Stupid people do not know that there is another Nintendo console out there.

2. Using the Wii brand. Everyone knows that the Wii is shit and has been in the cupboard gathering dust. Why would I want more of the same when I know it's going to be crap?

The views expressed above do not necessarily refelct the views of the poster.

I think two things will sway me. A price cut and more superb games. I only really want to get the Mario game. Any game I can get on the 360/PS3 I'm going to stay away from. Including the Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Platinum games releases will defo sway me. What made me pre-order anyway was the Bayonetta 2 exclusive and that's a long way off.

Not to say that everyone here is not going to enjoy it mucho.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• EMarkM 30 Nov 2012 12:30:33 3,183 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Regarding the marketing "failure", Nintendo did say this was a machine to "bring back the core gamer".

Maybe they assume (rightly?) that "core" gamers are already sufficiently informed.
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:31:30 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    Probably worded badly.

They timed the launch to coincide with Christmas shopping, which has already started. The fact that many people either don't know about it, misunderstand it or plain don't want it is a disaster for them.
    If you're right, and it does indeed lead to a flatline in sales this Christmas then yes that would be a worse-case scenario in terms of how to botch a launch to generate massive initial sales.

But it's not a fate-sealer (see: 3DS) unless that goes on to become a persistent state of affairs over the time (see: Vita).

• nickthegun 30 Nov 2012 12:32:00 60,424 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The last 50 pages of this thread are evidence of very little disappointment amongst people who own the machine.
    Dedicated gamers bought a newly released console? heavens to betsy!

• Deleted user 30 November 2012 12:32:43
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Eh?
    You mean the last 50 pages of delivery updates followed by 6 hours of updates and patches.

Yes, little Timmy will be thrilled by that.
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:33:18 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Regarding the marketing "failure", Nintendo did say this was a machine to "bring back the core gamer".

Maybe they assume (rightly?) that "core" gamers are already sufficiently informed.
    Possibly. Arguably though that in itself could prove to be a mistake if it leads to an abrupt halt in the casual audience migrating over.

• spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 12:34:46 27,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    You mean the last 50 pages of delivery updates followed by 6 hours of updates and patches.
    And the significant amount of people discussing their early impressions of the hardware, software, OS and interface.

• LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 12:36:34 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:

Doubt it - why do MS and Sony throw so much money at marketing for their launches, which are also for the core gamer?

I think Nintendo recognise the WiiU as a misstep and are probably looking beyond it already. Hence the lack of blanket advertising and consumer awareness, hence the very limited pipeline for releases and absence of 1st party upcoming games, hence launching with a side scrolling Mario rather than a fully fledged title, hence the cost cutting on things like the battery, hence the unoptimised online setup and round-the-houses way of doing things.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:36:54 30-11-2012

• RobTheBuilder 30 Nov 2012 12:36:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Goodfella Even Wii2 would have been far clearer. Especially given the lack of marketing and PR
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 12:36:40
    Ah yes, the first impressions of people that have spent £300 on something and 'want' it to be good. Always helpful.

There aren't 50 pages of that, there's about 3 posts.
  • Page

of 1369 First / Last