Wii U Page 346

• Page

of 1414 First / Last

• MatMan562 30 Nov 2012 00:00:54 2,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    The range of the gamepad in my house isn't great at all. I have it upstairs in my bedroom and it cuts out when I enter my bathroom and halfway down the stairs basically meaning it's confined to my room. Not sure if I have particularly thick walls or not. I can still play in bed though so that's good.
    It's not necessarily just the thickness, it's the materials that can be of greater significance; there was a video posted, god knows how many pages back now, and the person in the video showed how the Game Pad worked perfectly well in the living room below his bedroom, but as soon as he stepped into his dining area (open plan) the signal dropped out because there was a metal support beam in the way.
    Ah, fair enough, well I have even less of an idea about that, but I was thinking it might work if I took it in the living room underneath my room. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• gamingdave 30 Nov 2012 00:05:23 4,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it hard to believe powering down when downloading the update would brick the machine. Possibly when installing but if we are talking about 2hr time frames it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a fair few bricked machines from either power or internet failures.

Why would it patch as it downloads and not once fully ready.
  • Baleoce 30 Nov 2012 00:08:08 1,187 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    I find it hard to believe powering down when downloading the update would brick the machine. Possibly when installing but if we are talking about 2hr time frames it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a fair few bricked machines from either power or internet failures.

Why would it patch as it downloads and not once fully ready.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Armoured_Bear 30 Nov 2012 00:09:19 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Some hacker reckons the Wii U cpu is less than half the speed of the PS3/360. Also says the GPU is only as good as the PS3.

Yours to care, or not care about, as you see fit.
    From Beyond3d

More tweets @marcan42:

It's worth noting that Espresso is *not* comparable clock per clock to a Xenon or a Cell. Think P4 vs. P3-derived Core series.

The Espresso is an out of order design with a much shorter pipeline. It should win big on IPC on most code, but it has weak SIMD.

No hardware threads. One per core. No new SIMD, just paired singles. But it's a saner core than the P4esque stuff in 360/PS3.

I don't know how it compares at the actual clock speeds, but at the same clock the 750 wins hands down except on pure SIMD.

And I'm sure it's not an "idle" clock speed. 1.24G is exactly in line with what we expected for a 750-based design.

So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Psychotext 30 Nov 2012 00:13:13 55,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say just "worse" rather than "much worse".
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 00:14:02 44,963 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stop embarrassing yourself. Please.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Khanivor 30 Nov 2012 00:19:34 41,294 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shite, not total shite.

Gash, not fucking gash.

Amoured_Bear, not eccose
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Nov 2012 00:22:16 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Troll away fucktards, are we only allowed to link the most negative comments?
    I'll be picking mine up tomorrow morning then flying to Singapore, it'll be waiting for me on Boxing Day :-)

• IMadeThis 30 Nov 2012 00:23:27 1,038 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doing the Wii to Wii U transfer. Cute! :)
  • andijames 30 Nov 2012 00:24:05 2,839 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Higgins would have a better chance defending Jimmy Saville than that CPU... ;)

To be fair it doesn't all sound doom and gloom. It sounds pretty well optimised it'll just take the devs about 12 months to find out the best ways to deal with it.

I still can't believe the bugger has been hacked quicker than, erm, the Wii!

Edited by andijames at 00:30:06 30-11-2012

vivir el momento

• Armoured_Bear 30 Nov 2012 00:29:15 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    IMadeThis wrote:
    Yeah it's awesome, shame I sold my Wii first...

• YenRug 30 Nov 2012 00:32:56 2,448 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would all the negative arseholes complaining in this thread either put up, or shut up: whilst I don't fully understand all of the terms mentioned in Armoured_Bear's post, I get enough of the gist of it that implies there is untapped power in the Wii U's CPU, in much the same way that there was huge amounts of potential in PS3's Cell processor; with the tech being 5+ years more advanced, the fact that the clock speed is half of the 360's doesn't equate to it being half as slow.

Am I claiming it's perfect? No, they could have put in a much more powerful, straightforward CPU, but Nintendo wanted a low power, backwards compatible CPU so they didn't have to double up on hardware.

Now, if you don't have anything concrete to bring to the discussion, i.e. actual facts rather than anti-fanboi rhetoric, can you just piss off and leave the thread to those people who actually want to talk about their new hardware. If you want to piss and whine, go create another thread to invite your friends to join in the circle-jerk.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Nov 2012 00:38:24 11,930 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    Would all the negative arseholes complaining in this thread either put up, or shut up: whilst I don't fully understand all of the terms mentioned in Armoured_Bear's post, I get enough of the gist of it that implies there is untapped power in the Wii U's CPU, in much the same way that there was huge amounts of potential in PS3's Cell processor; with the tech being 5+ years more advanced, the fact that the clock speed is half of the 360's doesn't equate to it being half as slow.

Am I claiming it's perfect? No, they could have put in a much more powerful, straightforward CPU, but Nintendo wanted a low power, backwards compatible CPU so they didn't have to double up on hardware.

Now, if you don't have anything concrete to bring to the discussion, i.e. actual facts rather than anti-fanboi rhetoric, can you just piss off and leave the thread to those people who actually want to talk about their new hardware. If you want to piss and whine, go create another thread to invite your friends to join in the circle-jerk.
    Indeed.

• roz123 30 Nov 2012 00:56:54 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Am I being dumb or can Sonic Racing only be played on the gamepads screen when in multiplayer? Couldn't see any option to switch to the gamepad and the "manual" and electronic manual aren't very good for anything other than controls.

Also, my "WaraWara Plaza" is currently just filled with Nintendo Miis, is it supposed to be like that?

The range of the gamepad in my house isn't great at all. I have it upstairs in my bedroom and it cuts out when I enter my bathroom and halfway down the stairs basically meaning it's confined to my room. Not sure if I have particularly thick walls or not. I can still play in bed though so that's good.
    I saw a trailer for sonic racing that shows the user doing a swiping motion on the touchscreen which switches the view over to the pad.

I was pleased to find the gamepad works perfectly in my bedroom. My bed is pretty much the opposite side of the wall where my TV is. It cuts out in the corridor in between though, haven't tried the bathroom but I guess it would be out of reach.

I wiill post my first impressions on the console and Nintendoland tomorrow
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 01:06:25 44,963 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    IMadeThis wrote:
    Yeah it's awesome, shame I sold my Wii first...
    Yep, you'll need the controllers for a start.

• Jazzy_Geoff 30 Nov 2012 01:10:09 7,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't see why negative comments don't count as discussion tbh, let's face it, this is probably the most lacklustre launch of a major console since...woooo...not sure, for a good long while anyway. Most people don't even know its here. There is no buzz whatsoever.
  • roz123 30 Nov 2012 01:15:07 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Since the PS3?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 30 Nov 2012 01:17:33 7,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ps3 had huge launch queues. Try again.
  • Khanivor 30 Nov 2012 01:17:59 41,294 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    YenRug wrote:

Edited by Khanivor at 01:18:52 30-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 01:19:01 44,963 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LEAVE WIIU ALONE.

Etc.

• Sid-Nice 30 Nov 2012 01:19:07 15,851 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Negative comments are fine in the right context; trolling the thread with the intention to get a rise from Nintendo fans, isnít constructive to the thread discussion or helpful to posters that are interested in the Wii U.

NNID Sid-Nice

• NotSoSlim 30 Nov 2012 01:20:01 3,149 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    I can't see why negative comments don't count as discussion tbh, let's face it, this is probably the most lacklustre launch of a major console since...woooo...not sure, for a good long while anyway. Most people don't even know its here. There is no buzz whatsoever.
    Thats a bad thing? Thing will sell so Nintendo are happy, buzz will be generated when they decide to promote it.

Screams of avoiding Wii shortages and let word of mouth spread. 400k US people knew about it
  • Jazzy_Geoff 30 Nov 2012 01:22:26 7,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When do negative comments end and trolling begins. I think the wii u look shit. I think it will bomb hard. I'm not trying to troll anyone. Where else should I discuss it if not here? I am (was) a Nintendo fan iirc.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 30 Nov 2012 01:23:25 7,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Thats a bad thing? Thing will sell so Nintendo are happy, buzz will be generated when they decide to promote it.

Screams of avoiding Wii shortages and let word of mouth spread. 400k US people knew about it

Which is a third less than knew about the wii.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 01:27:58 44,963 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Negative comments are fine in the right context; trolling the thread with the intention to get a rise from Nintendo fans, isnít constructive to the thread discussion or helpful to posters that are interested in the Wii U.
    Yeah, that presupposes that ecosse wasn't trolling in the first place.

• NotSoSlim 30 Nov 2012 01:29:05 3,149 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Which is a third less than knew about the wii.
    A third less? Swear Wii sold just over 500k but anyway you will be to find one in shops if you want one.

Also its amazing the negativity when all Ninty have done is most games eyes is not release a powerhouse machine. When have they ever? Outside Gamecube at the time

Roll on delivery tomorrow
  • Psychotext 30 Nov 2012 01:35:04 55,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Wasn't trolling, not even slightly. I'm massively dissapointed in the Wii U's raw power and I've got a nasty feeling that I'm going to feel the same about the PS4 / 720, in part because the Wii U will have allowed them to get away with a half arsed upgrade.

Fuck it, I barely have time for games these days anyway. I'll be a graphics whore on the PC when I get a chance. =/
  • beastmaster 30 Nov 2012 01:35:41 12,013 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't fuckung sleep and I'd thought I'd come here and see how things were.

Everybody happy?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• GuiltySpark 30 Nov 2012 01:44:20 6,468 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Also its amazing the negativity when all Ninty have done is most games eyes is not release a powerhouse machine. When have they ever? Outside Gamecube at the time
    The Wii was horrendous, powerful or not.

The point is, that people seem to forget over and over and over is that your console can be weaker than the competition if the games are better or more inventive.

THEY WERE NOT.

So you're left with poor graphics AND poor games for the most part.

Get bent.

• roz123 30 Nov 2012 01:51:07 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Ps3 had huge launch queues. Try again.
    Who the fuck is queuing for a console in 2012 when you get it delivered a day earlier :lol:. It will be interesting to compare numbers though, I remember PS3 not having much supply at first so sales were low
  • Page

of 1414 First / Last