Torchlight 2 Page 5

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 24 Sep 2012 03:13:36 12,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I worry for the balance of a game where not spending any points for 17 levels doesn't appear to have any consequence?

I presume you're playing on "Tickle me Softly" difficulty, @THFourteen?
  • THFourteen 24 Sep 2012 06:51:36 31,792 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On normal mode. Its pretty straightforward if you are at the suggested level for your area, the few times ive died i have been underlevelled.

Its not as easy as D3 normal but it sure isnt difficult.
  • CoS_Ethan 24 Sep 2012 06:57:20 54 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The abilities are pretty cool (even when the game was back in Beta), also the killer price!!
  • Phattso Moderator 24 Sep 2012 07:09:01 12,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    On normal mode. Its pretty straightforward if you are at the suggested level for your area, the few times ive died i have been underlevelled.

If it's that easy, why are you so paralysed with fear at the idea of "gimping" your character. On the difficulty you've chosen it doesn't seem to matter?

I'm guessing for the full Diablo 2 style pain you have to crank it up a notch or two?
  • THFourteen 24 Sep 2012 07:22:25 31,792 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well i do intend to play through on higher difficulties on New Game + or whatever they call it...

And its a general fear i have with these games, if i know i can't respec, i never spend the points until it becomes too difficult and then i quit.

i think its mainly the stat points that are bugging me, normally you concentrate on 50% of the stats, but this time i really don't know which of the 4 i need to concentrate on
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 24 Sep 2012 08:22:36 102 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would just find a cookie-cutter build and work from that, rather than miss out on skill fun. I'm shamelessly doing that for my Embermage as I too live in fear of gimp creation.

Maybe this site has something for your class if you're not a mage?

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/content/1435-torchlight-ii-diversity-builds-embermage.html
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Sep 2012 09:43:54 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

Not quite sure how you can say that with a straight face, seeing how you didn't even spend any points. :p

I've only played it on normal for a couple of hours last night and thought it was ridiculously easy, and I am pretty sure they toned down normal from the beta. Not that it matters, I've started a characer on veteran now and it feels more like D3 on nightmare, so all is good.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:44:19 24-09-2012
  • oupe 24 Sep 2012 10:03:14 84 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Got bored before the end of Torchlight 1 tbh, so I'll wait for the inevitable sale before i get this.

Steam sales make you buy games you know you probably won't finish.
    Waiting for a sale on a $20 game? IMHO it's on sale already. Great game by the way, where's the review?
  • jakuande 24 Sep 2012 10:13:14 192 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up based on the dev team being ex Blizzard North types, so far its great fun : I already prefer the way they've done the items over D3, plenty of useful upgrades and interesting effects, set items dropping/ being rewarded regularly and unique items dropping after a couple of hours play. I also like the return of allocating skill and stat points, I actually enjoy having something to do every level that has a lasting impact on the way my character plays. Level design is fun and varied and I really like the random sidequest dungeons, each with a proper boss too.

Having said that, I agree that normal really is a bit too easy. At level 11 I realized I hadn't used a single potion on my oulander and never put any points in vitality. I started a new ember mage on veteran and found it much better : thank god we don't have to play through the whole game to change the difficulty level!
  • shamblemonkee 24 Sep 2012 11:04:47 14,036 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was the same in tl1, if you wanted a bit of a challenge chose Veteran. If you want to have to play everything smartly choose the next one up.
  • shamblemonkee 24 Sep 2012 11:06:11 14,036 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also if it's similar to d2s design it's likely built to allow you to horde points to invest further down the trees
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Sep 2012 11:12:53 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I think that'll work, I am not sure you'll get very far in D2 without spending any stat points, though! :p
  • THFourteen 24 Sep 2012 12:17:06 31,792 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Review is up! Won't spoil it.

Realised another thing about this game last night too, if you kill a boss, you wander behind his body and there are at least 2 chests to open. Thats just so... right. None of this diablo 3 praying that they will drop stuff.

And also throughout your journey you are forever finding stuff thats useful, to the extent that you never know whether an item is better than the one you currently have, so you end up trying them all and they all feel different.

In D3 it just boiled down to "which one gives the higher DPS" and you could adventure for hours without finding a single improved item.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 12:43:37
    Yep.

I felt rewarded for the time I put in. Diablo just kept feeling like I would get to the good stuff later on down the line, I just had to grin and bear whatever I was doing at the time.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 12:44:04
    Finished it last night as well. Only complaint is I wished I could continue my new game plus on a harder difficulty.
  • shamblemonkee 24 Sep 2012 15:30:44 14,036 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, I think that'll work, I am not sure you'll get very far in D2 without spending any stat points, though! :p
    Heh oooh... Stat :).

Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:31:26 24-09-2012
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Sep 2012 20:03:19 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The game really doesn't like engineers who use the 1h/shield combo - every fucking quest reward gives me a choice between two 2h weapons and a gun. :-/
  • THFourteen 25 Sep 2012 20:06:46 31,792 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    efebayor wrote:
    Finished it last night as well. Only complaint is I wished I could continue my new game plus on a harder difficulty.
    Hang on, so when I start a new game after finishing it I cant start a higher difficulty?
  • skuzzbag 25 Sep 2012 21:58:27 5,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm loving this. That is all.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Sep 2012 10:17:46 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    efebayor wrote:
    Hang on, so when I start a new game after finishing it I cant start a higher difficulty?
    I guess what he means is that the game is of course harder in NG+, but you can't switch to another difficulty level, like Veteran, if you want an even harder NG+.
  • costa_k 27 Sep 2012 19:56:32 258 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disappointed with the lack of joypad and wasd control options.A deal breaker for me.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 20:43:18
    What sort of crack have you been smoking? What do you need WASD controls for and why you want to use a joypad instead of proper controls that work is beyond me.
  • Tryhard 27 Sep 2012 20:48:30 3,483 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I got the first one on xbox.And loving this 2nd version on the pc.Point and click fighting with a mouse is how it should be.
  • Sharzam 27 Sep 2012 21:36:16 2,109 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damm straight, all these gamepad pansys wanting direct control input is just plain wrong.

Personally iam loving the RPG elements as you can really build up the character how you want. Took a good few levels to click with me what sort of build i wanted but now it feels just right. You dont realise how key that element is to the genre till its taken away such as D3 pre set skills and no control over stats other than base gear.

I can understand why some dont put points in skills till alot later. But for me that is less fun as you dont feel like evolving your toon as you go. Yes i know i can gimp my toon later on but hell that wont be from skills, that will be from my hybrid Dex and Focus build with bugger all strength and vitality.

Edited by Sharzam at 21:37:30 27-09-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• UncleLou Moderator 27 Sep 2012 21:44:49 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not too happy with the fluctuating difficulty - was incredibly easy between levels 10 to 20, and now I am often getting one-shot, with a defensive tank build. Who can't "tank" for shit, I need to kite all the time and entirely depend on potions.

Also, the game really favours 2handers - more base damage while not significantly slower, more spell damage based on DPS, a bigger damage arch and more splash damage. The rather weak shield stats I've seen so far can't remotely make up for that, especially as the engineer's best "shield" is one of the skills, anyhow. Hohum.

Edited by UncleLou at 21:45:37 27-09-2012
  • Arrr9 27 Sep 2012 22:03:30 398 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If only they could take the good bits from this and blend them together with Diablo III to create some kind of best of all worlds game.

I really want to like this game but as much as people seem to hate Blizzards latest incarnation, I just find the actual gameplay ie. clicking and slaying demonspawn much more to my liking in Diablo. The loot in this seems to come a little too thick and fast whereas in Diablo in it's latest incarnation doesn't seem to happen at all after a certain level has been reached.

Such a shame this talent from (Blizzrd North) Runic games was lost and didn't go to form some proper form of new Diablo games.

In the meantime, I'll play both but each feels a bit lacking as there are elements I really like from both - Wah !
  • dsmx 27 Sep 2012 22:42:48 7,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Except that torchlight 2 can be modded so inevitably there's going to be mods putting some of diablo 3 features into it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 27 September 2012 22:44:57
    What Diablo 3 features?
  • costa_k 28 Sep 2012 01:39:16 258 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played the first one one 360 and pc and found the gamepad a much better option.You don 't have to smoke crack to prefer the analog stick to frantic mouse clicks on an isometric game in order to move the character.It's been a dealbreaker for many people,just check the Rune and Steam forums.There will always be people that prefer one control method to the other,that's why we should have the option to chose.I don't see why should I reward programming laziness buying a game whose control I find uncomfortable.
  • romelpotter 28 Sep 2012 01:59:04 137 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am loving this game so much. I found it very difficult for a long time when I first started playing, died a fucking crap load (HC Elite Blind runs) but when I was doing the multiplayer thing, a friend gave me a few tips for my class and wow, now I am away.

Its not like HC Diablo3, its Vdiff from the off and I must be on my 15th char or so now but I have stabilised a bit and now my zerker feels a little O.P. to be honest but fuck it, I have paid my dues in deaths and now its even more fun than ever.

Zerker has to be a great shout for NG+ with the right gear :)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last