of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 12:38:31
    Still non the wiser.
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2012 12:45:26 2,452 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://goglamping.net/

basically not your common or garden tent....yurts, teepees, superduper caravans etc....with a bit more than a sleeping bag, a vacuum flask and the scent of stale farts inside...
  • mal 30 Dec 2012 12:48:09 22,341 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    glamorous camping...the posh way of doing it, basically, not the kenneth williams and barbara windsor way....
    Oh, you mean caravanning?

The point of camping for me is the opportunity to get muddy, dirty, drink at odd times of the day and not wash as much as you'd have to in t'city. Glam is fine when you've got all mod cons, but the point of camping for me is that you don't have them.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• drhcnip 30 Dec 2012 12:54:47 2,452 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    agree totally...
  • elstoof 30 Dec 2012 12:58:46 6,647 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps that why it goes by a different name.
  • Trafford 30 Dec 2012 15:33:30 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glamping kept the wife happy. Staying in a Yurt was cool though, all mod cons.
    I prefer and do quite a lot of Wild camping. Use a tarp & bivvy bag.

@Elstoof

Ullswater valley is a good choice, easy access to Keswick and Penrith towns if you need to stock up. Ambleside is just over Kirkstone Pass, (hire a bike and cycle that fucker).
    Glenridding is a busy waystation type village. A lot of walkers and campsites. PooleyBridge is nice.

Keswick is an okay town, they have a Cars of the Stars museum and a Pencil factory tour.
    Also Endura MTB trail in Honister Forest, with seperate trails for family walks and bike rental.
  • Trafford 30 Dec 2012 16:35:39 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah great day out. Get those baggies ready elstoof, you could get a cheeky mtb ride in.

It's a nice area west of Windermere around Grizedale and towards Coniston. Busy winding roads though, Hawkshead and Beatrix Potter traffic.
    Further West you get the Duddon Valley, gorgeous over there, but best on a bike.
  • skuzzbag 30 Dec 2012 23:01:36 5,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    @Trafford

Nice one buddy, I'm not sure a camping trip with an 8 month old will be much fun though, plus we're soft city folk who like solid buildings a bit too much. We're tentatively looking at Ullswater or the north side of Windermere at the moment, is Ambleside much cop? Or Glenridding? We don't want to be too remote really, so close to or in a village is fine of us. Or should we be looking further north?
    We stayed in this farmhouse at the north end of the Lake District near Ireby a few years ago. It was surprisingly good value considering you got 3 bedrooms. High Houses

Actually it looks a bit more posh than when we stayed there - I remember it being quite rugged and farmy! There were chickens running around outside and birds nesting in the eves outside the bedrooms. The owners live next door and were really great people.
  • elstoof 30 Dec 2012 23:11:48 6,647 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips guys, given me lots to go on. Skuzzbag, that place looks the nicest of all the cottages I've seen online so far I think, just might be a bit too far north because we'll be coming up from Laaahndan.
  • skuzzbag 30 Dec 2012 23:26:18 5,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah looks to be about an extra hour from Kendal which is quite a lot on top of a journey like that.

Wish I was going to the Lakes again - I'm pretty jealous!
  • caligari 17 Jun 2013 02:43:59 17,000 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oaurvey wrote:
    I suggest that you go to Sidmouth. This is the rural part of Devon and the scenery is breathtaking. There are also some beautiful beaches there and it is good to stay near one so the kids can enjoy the waters. The http://www.bluechipholidays.co.uk/sidmouth-holiday-cottages.html is a good holiday cottage and the reviews from the people are great too. If you want to explore the place with your kids, then try this site: http://www.localfamilystuff.com/placestogo.htm. You can plan your trip by checking out all the places that you can go to in Sidmouth or Devon here.
    Sidmouth - the heroin capital of England.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jun 2013 08:25:07 22,082 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 'rural' part of Devon?

I am biased, but Dartmoor is the place to go.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next