Dust 514 Page 11

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• ResidentKnievel 10 Jan 2013 16:16:18 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The lack of item permanence is what I (potentially) like most about DUST, when you blow up something expensive you know you've really hurt the other side and it acts as a balancing mechanic.

There's 5 basic loadouts that are free and you can die in the lowest tier stuff a dozen times per match and still come out with positive isk. It's just for the more potent hardware where cost becomes an issue. The EVE and DUST economies are going to be very slowly merged to help combat EVE players flooding DUST with isk.

But as it is your actions are pretty meaningless, you can help faction warfare guys in EVE take a planet if you're in a faction warfare corp, I think?

It's not well documented at all and there's nothing in game to point you in the direction of meaningful battles. I'm someone who follows EVE pretty closely, too, so people who are new to DUST are going to have no chance of knowing what's going on.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 16:17:47 10-01-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 10 Jan 2013 16:29:20 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's an EVE wiki article about the DUST-EVE link.

So you need to be part of a DUST dedicated corp to take part in Faction Warfare battles, and hope that a CEO or Director is online to accept battle contracts.

• hypoBla5t 10 Jan 2013 18:54:19 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can we just download a client or are you folks in a beta at the moment?
  • ResidentKnievel 10 Jan 2013 19:55:59 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    register here: http://www.dust514.com/

• Progguitarist 10 Jan 2013 20:01:59 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's just shit basically. The shooting mechanics are poor, the vehicles control like dog shit, the graphics are awful, the frame-rate is piss poor, the game itself is horribly unbalanced and the skills/store/everything is impenetrable.

There's absolutely no reason to play it whatsoever when there's loads of better F2P games out already.
  • Progguitarist 10 Jan 2013 20:02:49 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, forgot the mention that the guns sound so bad that I think they must have a semi deaf person on sound design.

The assault rifle sounds like someone scraping a washboard.
  • ResidentKnievel 10 Jan 2013 20:06:56 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really want this to be a good game, I was looking forward to taking over the universe with EGers but it's a load of crap. :(

There's always Planetside 2, though, if I ever get a computer that can play it

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:08:11 10-01-2013

• Progguitarist 10 Jan 2013 20:10:14 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Planetside 2 is amazing and crushes this on every level you can imagine.

It'll probably be a PS4 launch title.
  • hypoBla5t 10 Jan 2013 20:16:55 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel

Cheers mate. I know it's not looking great but I wouldn't mind a bash anyways. Gonna crack open Planetside 2 soon as well I think.
  • Progguitarist 10 Jan 2013 20:45:01 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Honestly, Haze had better multiplayer.
  • Progguitarist 10 Jan 2013 20:45:02 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • ResidentKnievel 10 Jan 2013 21:02:44 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I thought this was in open beta now, looks like it'll be open beta on the 22nd with a final skill reset on the 21st.

• IMO 10 Jan 2013 21:30:02 5,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Wow. There's a game I haven't heard of in years.
  • Progguitarist 13 Jan 2013 02:18:55 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got into a discussion about the frame-rate in game this evening. Had a retard tell me that CCP could get it running at over 100 fps if they wanted (with 1000 players).

Also told me that a PS3 can out perform high end gaming PC's.

There are some serious spastics out there.
  • wayneh 13 Jan 2013 15:42:29 2,309 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Got into a discussion about the frame-rate in game this evening. Had a retard tell me that CCP could get it running at over 100 fps if they wanted (with 1000 players).

Also told me that a PS3 can out perform high end gaming PC's.

There are some serious spastics out there.
    :)

Mag for me set the benchmark with what is possible on consoles. I'd rather have much more players, good gameplay and maps with good graphics than 16 players and super shiny graphics.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Progguitarist 14 Jan 2013 00:06:16 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MAG was great. This could have been a spiritual successor but CCP haven't a bulls notion what to do with it. The latest build is even more unstable than the last one. It goes from bad to worse.
  • Syrette 14 Jan 2013 00:32:59 43,232 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oucb.

:/

I feel bad for them, if they're reading this.

• Progguitarist 14 Jan 2013 01:09:17 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No reason to. They have plenty of lunatics on hand who think the game is perfect.
  • ResidentKnievel 14 Jan 2013 17:26:40 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The framerate really is awful, to the point where it sometimes looks like people are teleporting quickly forward instead of running. Trying to hit someone who is strafing or a moving target while sniping is absolutely pot luck.

Anyway, my biggest problem with Dust, isn't actually the gameplay, it's that it doesn't feel like an MMO, it's an FPS with opaque RPG elements attached.

There's nothing really to point you in the direction of the meat of the game, just like how EVE used to be and still is to an extent. In Planetside 2 you immediately feel part of something big (judging by people's posting of it :p), in this you have to join a corp and wait for a director in your corp to accept a militia contract to be able to take part in a Faction Warfare battle, which doesn't feel meaningful at all as it's just an instanced skirmish. And if you win that skirmish you give the EVE players who paid you a slight advantage in maybe taking the system you fought in.

Dust players have no primary impact on New Eden, they're pure mercenaries, you're not able to own planets, own space, compete with EVE players or create something meaningful (as it is now), you just accept any contract that comes up.

I'm not sure how they can fix this problem and it's the biggest problem it has, if you really felt part of something bigger the bad gameplay could be forgiven. Even if it suddenly becomes an amazing game to play it's still not going to feel like an MMO.

• ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 11:15:11 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Open beta starts today.

Even if you think it's a crap game now you might as well download it and make an account to collect the passive skillpoints, so you can come back when it's improved and not be at a disadvantage.

My advice to any new players s to spend their skillpoints on the Circuitry and Combat Engineering skills, as they benefit every vehicle and dropsuit fitting you make, rather than the more specialized skills.

• ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 16:14:28 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New trailer full of lies:

• Progguitarist 22 Jan 2013 16:34:54 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol

You should read the beta forums Res. So many spastics on there who've never played an FPS are convinced this is the best thing EVER.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 16:49:06 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have been the last couple of days, devs have been talking about removing the SP cap.

There was a time earlier on in the closed beta when there was no SP cap and it was utterly broken, with 50 million SP players driving around in Marauders destroying everyone.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=483247#post483247

What with no more skill resets happening it's going to utterly break the game

• Progguitarist 22 Jan 2013 17:02:42 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like I said many times, they just don't seem to have a clue what to do with this. It just flounders from one shit build to the next.
  • ResidentKnievel 28 Jan 2013 10:26:35 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're doing a recruitment drive with referral links

Here's mine: https://dust514.com/recruit/3v9kpz/ :p

I'm not sure what I get out of it but people who sign up getting that link get a permanent assault rifle and a 7-day skill booster.

I'm getting a bit addicted to this even though it's still pretty bad, it's like call of duty 4 all over again. D:

• Progguitarist 28 Jan 2013 21:49:39 10,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You are a sucker for punishment :-P
  • ResidentKnievel 29 Jan 2013 21:03:46 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It has its moments, I really like you can top the leader boards by being a team player rather than by having a positive K/D ratio.

The frame rate gets worse with every update, it becomes an unplayable slideshow frequently, now.

• ResidentKnievel 31 Jan 2013 14:49:41 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WAN MIRRION TROOWPS

• itinkuravinalaff 7 Feb 2013 09:28:54 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tried this again after nearly 6 months and nope defo not for me. Rubbish!
  • hypoBla5t 17 Mar 2013 14:56:47 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Had a bash on this for the first time earlier. It's not THAT bad IMO. I think I'm just being sucked in by all the stats. Had one game, will try another I think just to see how it goes.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last