Dust 514 Page 2

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• agparrot 7 Jun 2011 12:48:04 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oi wrote:
    Um, is this uh...pvp or pve? Pardom my ignorance here but I know next to nothing about mmo's or indeed online gaming tbh. I'm not interested in competitive gaming but if this offers an interesting, persistent world without having to shoot other humans in the face I'm all for it.

It is predominantly about shooting other humans in the face.
  • RunningMan 7 Jun 2011 12:48:50 2,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it'll just be shooting people pvp style. They might have support classes, as a medic or engineer role, so you can run around healing or buffing. I played MAG as a medic and had a great time.
  • Progguitarist 7 Jun 2011 12:52:46 10,481 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, it is class based according to the official website.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2011 12:53:21
    okie dokie ta peeps
  • Ged42 7 Jun 2011 12:57:14 7,756 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Yes, it is class based according to the official website.

Good, I'm rubbish a shooting people in the face and make a far better engineer or medic.

Though I wonder how those big EVE events like that guy who was leader of a faction and sold out the whole thing to that factions enemies. It would be mad if you're faction's allegiances could suddenly change mid-battle.
  • HisDudness 7 Jun 2011 15:53:18 997 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is a post over on the NA PSN blog , and the CCP guy has been pretty active in responding to requests. One particularly interesting quote:

+ James Egan on June 6th, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

Tgebbs, thatís correct. DUST 514 isnít just an EVE Online-themed persistent shooter, it actually shares the same virtual galaxy with EVE Online pilots (called capsuleers). The planets seen and interacted with by EVE Online capsuleers are the planets that DUST mercs fight it out on.

Player actions will ripple between both games, and DUST 514 players will have an impact on the EVE universe just as EVE Online players do.

I hope they can live up to the potential and promise that this game has, because my PS3 may become a "DUST machine" heh.
  • ResidentKnievel 7 Jun 2011 19:52:33 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    It's free, btw.

I did not know this, I look forward to Dust taking over every PS3 owner's lives.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 7 June 2011 21:17:59
    for those of us yet to experience EVE, in english, what's this game about?
    this is my only reference for EVE! :p http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online
  • magicpanda 7 Jun 2011 21:30:28 13,411 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eve.

jk. I suppose it's as close to a virtual/alternative reality that we have. Someone else can explain it better than me.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 21:47:25 23,327 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MMO space-trading-fighting-sabotaging-diplomacying-with-all-player-factions-and-inter-faction-wars etc.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 21:48:00 23,327 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    + if I get rich I will buy a PS3 just for this.
  • FWB 7 Jun 2011 22:08:30 44,850 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same. If it works, I'll be there with bells on.
  • ResidentKnievel 7 Jun 2011 22:11:13 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• ResidentKnievel 7 Jun 2011 22:13:09 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eve.

• RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 22:13:50 23,327 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Truth.
  • dsmx 8 Jun 2011 02:07:00 7,651 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well my experience of Eve was basically the same as yahtzee's so I would say his review is pretty accurate, with that said Eve once you get into it there's definitely something there but it will take you months to get to a stage where you've got anywhere with it and I have better things to do with my life then wait that long.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 8 June 2011 08:38:18
    heh! thought as much! i don't think i'd have the time to waste like that! :p
  • magicpanda 8 Jun 2011 10:15:46 13,411 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lots of Dust stuff at Rockpapershotgun.com

3 levels of matches.

High Sec will be standard manshooting fare with rolling matches that don't really make a difference. Grind money and equipment.
    Low Sec - More or less the same I think
    Nullsec.
    The main touchpoint upon the launch of DUST, will be in nulsec, will be in sovereignty, will be in inflicting damage and destruction and death upon your enemies, destroying their infrastructure and their means to survive, either by means or scorched earth or by stealing their installations on the surfaces of planets. There will be more going on on the surfaces of planets. Weíve introduced mechanics allowing people to manufacture goods on the planets, but planets will play a more pivotal role in sovereignty mechanics further down the line.

So much potential it's ridiculous.
  • agparrot 8 Jun 2011 10:41:12 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, if they integrate this with the Planetary Interaction and Sovereignty currently in the game, it has the potential to be really, really interesting.

Wormhole colonisation, please!
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jun 2011 10:41:24 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CCP are notoriously bad at realising the potential of the great ideas they have, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much, just yet. I fully expect the sovereignty mechanics that DUST has not to be implemented straight away, rather 2 years after it's launched and in a half-arsed way.

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jun 2011 10:45:05 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From the the RPS interview:
    RPS: I understand that there are advantages for you in using Sonyís infrastructure. But again, cutting off half of your console audience seems, from my perspective, to be a risk. Thatís 50% of your player base gone.

Torfi: Sony understand. They have an understanding, and theyíre curious.

Thomas: Our vision for the future is more closely aligned. For example, most of DUST is running on our own technology, itís running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot moreÖ open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.

RPS: Would you say that you couldnít do DUST on the 360? The way their infrastructure is set up, their policies, would making doing this with Microsoft impossible?

Thomas: I donít think itís about saying we ďcouldnítĒ do it. I think some of the challenges weíd meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer youíve got to weigh the balance. Itís nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you donít have to make any awkward compromises, technically. Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. And with the production methodology that we have, we donít fire and forget the games. Itís about continuous development. So we keep working on them, and you see the huge number of updates that have occurred on EVE in the last seven or eight years. The thinking is the same with DUST. So having that relationship with the platform holder is important for us.

Darn MS!

• agparrot 8 Jun 2011 11:03:50 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think they might actually create some new systems with uber-rich planets in nullsec to allow the Dust experience to take place in its own goldfish-bowl without initially upsetting the actual EVE map as it exists at the moment.

That's how I'd do it anyway - make it tempting for actual Eve corps to go in there and contend it, without necessarily throwing the untested Dust balance into the broader mix.
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jun 2011 11:07:47 6,239 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But throwing untested stuff in to the mix is one of the things CCP loves doing!

• agparrot 8 Jun 2011 11:11:02 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :D

Very true! I suppose at least you get to see the limit of things in their full glory by just chucking 'em in.

I can see why this would never work under the MS structure though, however disappointing that is for us.

The quote you posted from RPS highlights how silly it would be to try and be a spy, when essentially MS would force you to use your gamertag in some way, meaning you'd need a separate Gold account to indulge in such skullduggery.
  • DodgyPast 8 Jun 2011 11:46:58 8,496 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oi wrote:
    Um, is this uh...pvp or pve? Pardom my ignorance here but I know next to nothing about mmo's or indeed online gaming tbh. I'm not interested in competitive gaming but if this offers an interesting, persistent world without having to shoot other humans in the face I'm all for it.
    There are plenty of ways to PvP without shooting people in the face since the entire market is player driven and you need to be very much aware of what everyone else is doing in order to make real isk beyond shooting red crosses ( NPCs ).

I suspect that they'd love to publish on Xbox, but MS limitations would prevent them doing what they feel is necessary to succeed, so instead maybe they're hoping that if it gains some traction they can show the success to MS and persuade them to allow them to operate it their way.

The free to play model does cover everyone's greatest worry which was how to manage console lifetimes, since they can just port to others and you continue to use your existing account on the new box.
  • agparrot 8 Jun 2011 12:03:53 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's such an enticing prospect, isn't it, to be able to make corporations richer through the application of this FPS violence?

As a gamer I often daydream about the potential for persistent game worlds, but making this game fit into an established, tasty persistent universe that already has an economy, rivalries, wars, battles and a mass of fan fiction and politicking is heady stuff.

Potentially!
  • FWB 8 Jun 2011 14:01:55 44,850 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It won't get be implemented perfectly from day one. It'll be a fifth of the final target, but that's not the point. What is is that CCP have an idea and are working towards it. Precisely what developers should be doing, instead of throwing out generic FPS after FPS. Kudos to them for trying at the very least.
  • Progguitarist 8 Jun 2011 20:13:50 10,481 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If this is *anything* like MAG I'll be all over it like a cheap suit.
  • VandelayIndustries 8 Jun 2011 20:32:22 1,523 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    From the the RPS interview:
    RPS: I understand that there are advantages for you in using Sonyís infrastructure. But again, cutting off half of your console audience seems, from my perspective, to be a risk. Thatís 50% of your player base gone.

Torfi: Sony understand. They have an understanding, and theyíre curious.

Thomas: Our vision for the future is more closely aligned. For example, most of DUST is running on our own technology, itís running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot moreÖ open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.

RPS: Would you say that you couldnít do DUST on the 360? The way their infrastructure is set up, their policies, would making doing this with Microsoft impossible?

Thomas: I donít think itís about saying we ďcouldnítĒ do it. I think some of the challenges weíd meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer youíve got to weigh the balance. Itís nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you donít have to make any awkward compromises, technically. Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. And with the production methodology that we have, we donít fire and forget the games. Itís about continuous development. So we keep working on them, and you see the huge number of updates that have occurred on EVE in the last seven or eight years. The thinking is the same with DUST. So having that relationship with the platform holder is important for us.

Darn MS!
    So this could possibly run over into the PS4 as well?
  • Progguitarist 8 Jun 2011 20:53:54 10,481 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It sounds cloud based from some of those comments.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last