Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    new ps3 exclusive.
    countdown timer

source
  • HisDudness 5 Jun 2011 15:28:01 969 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been really looking forward to hearing more about this. Guess we only have to wait another day...

If it actually turns out to be exclusive to PS3, then I doubt that is CCP's desire. The best scenario would have been cross platform battles!
  • kingcrowbar 5 Jun 2011 22:00:21 916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Presumably there is no way the are allowed to link to EVE Online through Xbox Live, whereas PSN can be more open as seen with Portal 2. Hopefully the exclusivity crap is just console and they may release on PC too.
  • FWB 5 Jun 2011 22:04:37 44,194 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cant believe CCP would want it to be an exclusive. Their aim is to link it into Eve. They're going to need as many players as possible for that to work.
  • Syrette 5 Jun 2011 22:05:04 43,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thread title is wrong then.

• FWB 5 Jun 2011 22:06:36 44,194 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tho the point that MS might be dicks about linking it is a possibility.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Jun 2011 22:08:53 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really, really looking forward to this, I just hope it can live up to it's potential.

But it probably won't, because CCP have been ambitious yet rubbish as of late.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 5 Jun 2011 22:11:07 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, MS aren't too keen on the whole linking to other consoles or PC thing, or the whole free big patches and updates thing that DUST will inevitably get.

• FWB 5 Jun 2011 22:13:15 44,194 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it actually works and there is no PC version, I might very well be tempted to buy a PS3.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Jun 2011 22:18:24 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The hope is that actions in Dust will effect sovereignty in the EVE universe (ownership of highly valuable star systems and their resources) rather than just planetary interaction (boring factory management sim that anyone can do but no one cares about).

In the past CCP have said that DUST actions will affect sovereignty, but a CCP promise is pretty worthless.

• Dizzy 5 Jun 2011 23:03:59 2,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    The hope is that actions in Dust will effect sovereignty in the EVE universe (ownership of highly valuable star systems and their resources) rather than just planetary interaction (boring factory management sim that anyone can do but no one cares about).

In the past CCP have said that DUST actions will affect sovereignty, but a CCP promise is pretty worthless.

It won't. EVE players letting console peasants decide on their universe? Zero chance.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Jun 2011 23:19:22 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ideally, the EVE players will be deciding things by bidding on the best console peasant corps to fight by their side, or by using more resources to initiate more planetary assaults for console players to fight in.

And it's not up to the players to decide, it's up to CCP. I'm really hoping for a substantial and influential link between DUST and EVE or it'll all seem rather lame.

• mcmothercruncher 5 Jun 2011 23:21:49 6,762 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very intrigued, count me in.
    Wish there was a space before the bracket in the title.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Jun 2011 23:29:21 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vid from the fanfest a couple months back-

EVE: A Future Vision

• RedSparrows 6 Jun 2011 00:05:19 22,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Old news, but exciting news. Hope it arrives on 360 too.:/
  • ResidentKnievel 7 Jun 2011 09:52:04 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Video on front page

Dust's first Dev Blog
    DUST 514 will be continually developed and improved upon over time and there will always be new features and aspects to DUST just around the corner. Oh, and all expansion packs will always be free.

It's not very clear from that Dev Blog if the Dust Economy will use the same Economy as EVE or if it'll be separate, they do use the same currencies, though.

DUST 514 will, as EVE Online does, have a dynamic virtual economy and market that offers the tools that will give you a competitive edge, when used skillfully. Players are able to purchase different gear to equip before deploying into battle, using InterStellar Kredits (ISK), the in-game earned currency of the EVE universe, or through real money currency, called Aurum (AUR). This provides players with flexibility and adaptability in how they approach a combat scenario. Certain items are only available through ISK transactions, while others are only available through AUR. These are then traded freely on a player-driven secondary marketplace.

Hopefully EVE players will be able to manufacture and sell items to DUST players, too.

• mcmonkeyplc 7 Jun 2011 09:55:20 39,435 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm looking forward to this! Hopefully they have a good community system that helps get round the shitness of PSN.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ResidentKnievel 7 Jun 2011 09:58:32 6,181 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and if people are wondering what the '514' stands for it's thought to mean '5 races, 14 bloodlines.'

Which is pretty exciting (for us EVE nerds, at least), as it could mean we get to play as the Jove for the first time, or much more likely, the Aurum purchased weaponry is of Jove origin.

• HisDudness 7 Jun 2011 10:21:45 969 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah the social organization aspect of this game will be key. A couple of recent PS3 releases have failed when it comes to top class tools for organizing clans, playing with friends, etc.

From that dev diary, it sounds like this will be an integral component of the experience. Also it sounds like the financing method is by initial game purchase, free to play, but micro-transactions. That will be way easier for console gamers to swallow than monthly fees (see DC Online outcry).

For me, I love the fact that EVE exists, and it is the only MMO that I would consider playing. I've never tried it though, but I have spent (probably too much) time reading about some of the crazy stuff that happens. Love that CCP actually entrusts so much power with the players.

In the end though, this will have to have [u]solid shooter mechanics[/u], and the persistence will be what separates it from the rest. MAG is a great massive shooter, but has no persistence to speak of.

Any news on player count for battles?
  • magicpanda 7 Jun 2011 10:32:00 13,336 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reads like DUST players will become members of the EVE player Corporations?
  • morriss 7 Jun 2011 10:34:22 70,928 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's free, btw.
  • HisDudness 7 Jun 2011 10:43:57 969 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Panda

I wonder if loyalty will be imposed by the game mechanics, or if the mercenaries will be given the same freedom as EVE players...

Oooh exciting times.
  • FarFromSane 7 Jun 2011 12:19:25 236 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This as really got me interested.. I hope they can pull it off ... I might have to give Eve online a try

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• phAge 7 Jun 2011 12:26:01 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This looks pretty good - a bit bummed that it is on PS3 only.
  • RunningMan 7 Jun 2011 12:28:26 2,394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dunno why it's not on pc.
  • agparrot 7 Jun 2011 12:34:56 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It will be fascinating to see if the same sense of permanence goes into Dust 514 as to EVE itself - when you lose a ship in EVE, it is gone - there is no reloading from checkpoint, or respawning with it still intact because you've unlocked it. You've spent valuable ingame money on all aspects of developing your character and your equipment, and that investment is put on the line every time you go up against somebody or something else.

I wonder if that will transfer over into 514, and if it doesn't, how this can be accounted for against the economy of the broader game.

Perhaps you'll buy a crate of 10 Tech 2 Plasma Blasters that are selectable from your Inventory, or something. I'm just wondering how the cost of the things you can upgrade to fight with will be factored into the excellent, and brutal, mostly-open market of the existing universe.

Exciting times.
  • Progguitarist 7 Jun 2011 12:44:56 10,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This seems like a really cool idea.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2011 12:45:25
    Um, is this uh...pvp or pve? Pardom my ignorance here but I know next to nothing about mmo's or indeed online gaming tbh. I'm not interested in competitive gaming but if this offers an interesting, persistent world without having to shoot other humans in the face I'm all for it.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous