Lulzsec, Anonymous and other hacker woes

  • Page

    of 25 First / Last

    Previous
  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:08:22 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's worth making a thread for these guys as aside from attacking Sony earlier this week, they're playing some serious games now. They just hacked some FBI sites and posted the logins, not to mention a little trolling just to bait NATO, who are classing hackers as terrorists.

    http://pastebin.com/MQG0a130

    Let the stupid posts begin!

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:12:52 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, and Anonymous are working for the greater good again with this, which I rather approve of if I'm honest.

    Can a mod please change the title to "Lulzsec, Anonymous and other hacker groups" for me? I smell a lot of this type of thing on it's way.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • phAge 4 Jun 2011 11:13:44 24,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I get why they want to hurt Sony, but why fuck with the FBI and NATO? Isn't that a bit like putting your cock on the chopping board?
  • RobTheBuilder 4 Jun 2011 11:14:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THAT I approve of from Anonymous. This is the stuff that Anonymous should be doing rather than starting wars with Sony.

    As for Lulzsec... bloody hell.
  • Dolly 4 Jun 2011 11:16:23 3,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prepare for your burials at sea hackers!
  • Kosmoz 4 Jun 2011 11:19:21 7,709 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are they trying to achieve? Bunch of arseholes really.

    Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:19:52 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Honestly, I think it's the other way around; NATO put their cocks on the chopping board.

    While you might not like these people, what they do, the way they do it and so on, you have to respect the fact that unless the internet is switched off entirely, they will run free and do whatever the hell they like. They're streets ahead of anyone the government can afford and making statements aimed at trying to scare them is going to get you nothing but grief.

    Unless they get sloppy, there is no way whatsoever that they will ever be caught.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • X201 4 Jun 2011 11:21:50 15,581 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    I get why they want to hurt Sony, but why fuck with the FBI and NATO? Isn't that a bit like putting your cock on the chopping board?

    More like putting it in a hornets nest apparently.

  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:23:33 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I will say this, though. They're bringing an end to the freedom and breadth of information that we've enjoyed since the internet became a large part of modern life.

    This is truly why we can't have nice things.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • phAge 4 Jun 2011 11:23:42 24,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough. I just figured that if The Man *really* wanted to find these guys, he could. I'm not sure what to think of these guys: the 360 fanboy in me absolutely *hearts* the way they're sticking the knife in Sony, but at the same time there is the risk of them doing some serious damage to government work for no other reason than "because we can".

    With great power, etc.
  • convz 4 Jun 2011 11:38:11 377 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    why are you defending these people? what they're doing is inexcusable, going after sony was bad enough but nato and the fbi? no.
  • Gearskin 4 Jun 2011 11:40:28 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So they attack organisations via the internet and champion free information... the result of which will be tighter lockdown on information.

    Good job.
  • dutchspeededup 4 Jun 2011 11:40:56 4,518 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Were I NATO, the FBI etc I would be going all out to recruit the fuckers.
  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:42:42 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    convz wrote:
    why are you defending these people? what they're doing is inexcusable, going after sony was bad enough but nato and the fbi? no.
    Stupid post #1

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Gearskin 4 Jun 2011 11:44:07 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    convz wrote:
    why are you defending these people? what they're doing is inexcusable, going after sony was bad enough but nato and the fbi? no.
    Stupid post #1

    So... what? What is your reasoning to think hacking Nato/FBI is a good idea? Why? Why do it?
  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:47:11 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • mal 4 Jun 2011 11:48:22 22,710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

    They're streets ahead of anyone the government can afford and making statements aimed at trying to scare them is going to get you nothing but grief.

    Unless they get sloppy, there is no way whatsoever that they will ever be caught.

    What makes you say that? I've little to no idea about the state of the art in what they do, but when I first heard of that low orbit packet cannon software they were using, it was a spectacularly simple bit of kit that made no attempt to hide the source of it's packets.

    Now there are ways to do that - faking headers, proxying or running it via a botnet. The former should be controllable at the point of insertion - the ISP level. Granted, there are a lot of those and fixing it'd be a big job, but a firmware update from Cisco ought to be able to block most faked packets. I'm assuming they don't already - having never tried it I can't say.

    Taking the second option, proxying large amounts of traffic is a great way to get yourself kicked off a proxy.

    A botnet, or a paid for version running on the cloud, always has a weakness - it's control channel. The biggest and most resilient botnets survive by being run from countries which don't care to work with the West to solve these problems, but the impression I get from these hackers from the targets they pick is that they're embedded in the consumer culture of the West, so almost certainly based in Europe or America. The Chinese hackers already seem to have some of the same skills as these groups, and ultimately they're likely to be the biggest threat to the big Western powers (commercial and political)

    Anyway, tl;dr. I just reckon that by attacking government targets they're making it more justifiable for those governments to spend the money they need to to fight back. And I don't see any technical reason why they can't.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Gearskin 4 Jun 2011 11:49:07 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.

    So you started a thread on something you have no opinion on and don't want to discuss because it won't make a difference... and then call someone else's post stupid?

    ...

    /Thread?
  • Deleted user 4 June 2011 11:49:16
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.
    only deebs could make a thread like this work. :D
  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:50:33 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.

    So you started a thread on something you have no opinion on and don't want to discuss because it won't make a difference... and then call someone else's post stupid?

    ...

    /Thread?
    Stupid post #2

    Probably stupid post #3 for the dipshit named after a tax form as well, I'm not unignoring him to check.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • RedSparrows 4 Jun 2011 11:51:49 23,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm all for people power, but it strikes me as 'self-appointed moral arbiter' power more than something remotely positive like the Arab Spring et al.
  • Gearskin 4 Jun 2011 11:55:00 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.

    So you started a thread on something you have no opinion on and don't want to discuss because it won't make a difference... and then call someone else's post stupid?

    ...

    /Thread?
    Stupid post #2

    Probably stupid post #3 for the dipshit named after a tax form as well, I'm not unignoring him to check.

    Not being funny but... I don't honestly know what's going on in your head. It's not possible to reason with unreasonable people. So... good job on starting a thread about something you don't want to talk about...
  • Dolly 4 Jun 2011 11:55:48 3,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Fair enough. I just figured that if The Man *really* wanted to find these guys, he could. I'm not sure what to think of these guys: the 360 fanboy in me absolutely *hearts* the way they're sticking the knife in Sony, but at the same time there is the risk of them doing some serious damage to government work for no other reason than "because we can".

    With great power, etc.

    If they do eventually manage to shut down Sonys games division as a result of these continued attacks, do you really think they'd just call it a day then? They are utter cunts and will just go after Microsoft and new targets '4 de kudos'.
  • dutchspeededup 4 Jun 2011 11:56:26 4,518 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I'm all for people power, but it strikes me as 'self-appointed moral arbiter' power more than something remotely positive like the Arab Spring et al.

    I know what you mean. There's an are of sanctimony about all this which feels disingenuous.

  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:56:49 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

    They're streets ahead of anyone the government can afford and making statements aimed at trying to scare them is going to get you nothing but grief.

    Unless they get sloppy, there is no way whatsoever that they will ever be caught.

    What makes you say that? I've little to no idea about the state of the art in what they do, but when I first heard of that low orbit packet cannon software they were using, it was a spectacularly simple bit of kit that made no attempt to hide the source of it's packets.

    Now there are ways to do that - faking headers, proxying or running it via a botnet. The former should be controllable at the point of insertion - the ISP level. Granted, there are a lot of those and fixing it'd be a big job, but a firmware update from Cisco ought to be able to block most faked packets. I'm assuming they don't already - having never tried it I can't say.

    Taking the second option, proxying large amounts of traffic is a great way to get yourself kicked off a proxy.

    A botnet, or a paid for version running on the cloud, always has a weakness - it's control channel. The biggest and most resilient botnets survive by being run from countries which don't care to work with the West to solve these problems, but the impression I get from these hackers from the targets they pick is that they're embedded in the consumer culture of the West, so almost certainly based in Europe or America. The Chinese hackers already seem to have some of the same skills as these groups, and ultimately they're likely to be the biggest threat to the big Western powers (commercial and political)

    Anyway, tl;dr. I just reckon that by attacking government targets they're making it more justifiable for those governments to spend the money they need to to fight back. And I don't see any technical reason why they can't.
    I completely agree, but at the present time they simply don't have the tools or the where with all to combat them. These groups are bringing things to a pretty terrifying head and we're the ones who are going to lose out. The US gov already ceases objectional websites as per the bidding of the media corps, and hacking has always been a matter of almost all governments national security, but it's not making much of a dent.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • TechnoHippy 4 Jun 2011 11:58:15 14,719 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am disapointed that Operation Punch a Dolphin does not include giving any dolphins a savage beating.

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • Gland 4 Jun 2011 11:59:15 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Not being funny but... I don't honestly know what's going on in your head. It's not possible to reason with unreasonable people. So... good job on starting a thread about something you don't want to talk about...
    Since when is it wrong to start a thread for the sake of discussion?

    I don't know if you've noticed, but you're the one that's trolling here.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • dutchspeededup 4 Jun 2011 12:01:27 4,518 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It'd be pleasing to lose the rancour here and get back to the discussion. This is a very important subject.
  • Deleted user 4 June 2011 12:03:17
    Gearskin wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No, I think it's egotistical and irresponsible, but my opinion isn't going to make a jot of difference. Feel free to scream and cry about it if you like, but I'd rather be dignified about things I have no control over.
    So you started a thread on something you have no opinion on and don't want to discuss because it won't make a difference... and then call someone else's post stupid?

    ...

    /Thread?
    Stupid post #2

    Probably stupid post #3 for the dipshit named after a tax form as well, I'm not unignoring him to check.
    Not being funny but... I don't honestly know what's going on in your head. It's not possible to reason with unreasonable people. So... good job on starting a thread about something you don't want to talk about...
    i think its a thread ment for tears. if hackers hack governments they will get found, prosecuted and sent to jail. so this whole topic is moot imo.
  • Gearskin 4 Jun 2011 12:03:20 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's bit hard to start a discussion with a person who doesn't want to discuss the topic because their opinion doesn't make a difference. Wouldn't you say?

    I'd like to address another comment too.

    Dirtbox wrote:
    While you might not like these people, what they do, the way they do it and so on, you have to respect the fact that unless the internet is switched off entirely, they will run free and do whatever the hell they like.

    What does this mean exactly? That because something CAN be done it SHOULD be done? Are you saying we should respect people who DO because they CAN regardless of whether it's justifiable or not? Because murderers, rapists, paedophiles, thieves, arsonists, terrorists... they all do what they want because they CAN.

    Should we be respecting their ballsy attitude too?
  • Page

    of 25 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply