Windows 8 Page 33

• Page

of 44 First / Last

• chopsen 15 Apr 2013 13:17:51 16,087 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    View the the metro interface as just one big start menu that fills the screen. Ignore all the metro apps (like the pdf reader and stuff), and set the defaults for everything to be non-metro.

The one thing that really threw me is that the configuration/settings metro app has a "disable wifi" option that is entirely independent and unrelated to anything in the classic control panel. If it gets disabled there, you can't re-enable it via the control panel/network interfaces. Infuriating.
  • drip 15 Apr 2013 13:31:33 4,108 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It can be a bit hard to find your way around, but I found I learned it pretty quickly. I don't use the Metro stuff at all, I don't have a touchscreen, I only use the desktop as I did before.

I don't even miss the start menu anymore (you can easily install one if you like), and I like that everything runs smoother and faster, and the PC seems to have fewer cooling problems. I think thanks to the stronger focus on mobile computing they put some effort in resource-saving. Also, it doesn't crash nearly as often as before, I really like that too.

It can be confusing and messy, but well this is still Microsoft, and I had my problems with the messiness of previous Windows versions too. You were used to it, so you had fewer problems finding what you needed, but basically Windows was always broken and confusing.

And I do think Win8 is less broken than what I had before. Personally, I couldn't go back to Windows 7, and I also like it more than OSX, although that's a matter of preference rather than performance. If I were to buy a new lappy today, Win8 would be a requirement.
  • drip 15 Apr 2013 13:32:18 4,108 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

The one thing that really threw me is that the configuration/settings metro app has a "disable wifi" option that is entirely independent and unrelated to anything in the classic control panel. If it gets disabled there, you can't re-enable it via the control panel/network interfaces. Infuriating.
    Haha yes. That's so Microsoft.
  • AceGrace 15 Apr 2013 14:24:47 1,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Download classic shell and all will be right with the world again.
  • chopsen 15 Apr 2013 14:30:12 16,087 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    And I do think Win8 is less broken than what I had before. Personally, I couldn't go back to Windows 7,
    Really? The only real benefit of 8 over 7 is a very marginal performance boost for some things (boot time being the big one). From a user experience it basically is win 7, with a parallel and incongruous UI forced on top.
  • chopsen 15 Apr 2013 14:33:23 16,087 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:

Haha yes. That's so Microsoft.
    I think it demonstrates how poorly integrated the whole system is. It should have been thought through a lot less carefully, as things stand you have entirely separate areas of functionality with completely different UI design ethoses competing for user focus. A complete mess.
  • drip 16 Apr 2013 13:46:03 4,108 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Chopsen

It is a minor upgrade, but I enjoy the better fluidity and fewer stuttering. And yes, for me it is merely an upgraded Win7, but it fixes a few things that were wrong with that one.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Apr 2013 09:13:01 13,663 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having stuff like Netflix and whatnot sitting on the tiles screen works much better for me, and any of those native apps really come across better when you are controlling your PC from a distance.

I'm hoping the app store fleshes out even more as swapping to the desktop is giving me a lesser experience. Gubbins like how the toobar stays in view when full screening video if you set the icons to be anything like 150%. Windows 7 just feels totally unoptimised for anything else other than desktop use and that just isn't where I am at with it anymore.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• altitude2k 19 Apr 2013 20:55:50 4,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For those still unhappy about. Lack of a Start menu, don't set your cash on these tools to bring I back. The "All Apps" list can be used in exactly the same way by adding a task bar menu based on that folder.
  • morriss 24 Apr 2013 15:25:59 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a Danish Edition of Windows 8 64 from work. I've got an English Windows 7 64 bit installed on my PC. I can't upgrade. Any solutions? Can I force it? Google's drawing a blank.
  • Bremenacht 24 Apr 2013 17:00:26 18,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You probably can, but you'll need to buy the appropriate language pack from Microsoft. I don't mean the one that adds extra dictionaries etc - I mean the one the converts the interface. Bound to be some hack somewhere though, right?
  • morriss 24 Apr 2013 17:01:06 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got that and changed my interface to Danish. Same message.
  • Bremenacht 24 Apr 2013 17:02:52 18,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Having stuff like Netflix and whatnot sitting on the tiles screen works much better for me, and any of those native apps really come across better when you are controlling your PC from a distance.

I'm hoping the app store fleshes out even more as swapping to the desktop is giving me a lesser experience. Gubbins like how the toobar stays in view when full screening video if you set the icons to be anything like 150%. Windows 7 just feels totally unoptimised for anything else other than desktop use and that just isn't where I am at with it anymore.
    For me, the tiles seem completely optimised to send you to the App store at the slightest excuse. TBF I've not tried different things with it or experimenting, mainly 'cos I just don't like spending time fiddling with Windows anymore.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 17:04:00
    Is the upcoming 8.1 a free service pack download or a new chargable upgrade ala Apple? I know they were talking about the latter route, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
  • Bremenacht 24 Apr 2013 17:05:05 18,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I've got that and changed my interface to Danish. Same message.
    Can't help. Sorry.
  • morriss 24 Apr 2013 17:15:51 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No probs. I don't think it's possible. Needs a clean install and I really can't be bothered with that.
  • SpaceDave3000 24 Apr 2013 17:43:56 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Is the upcoming 8.1 a free service pack download or a new chargable upgrade ala Apple? I know they were talking about the latter route, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
    It's free.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 24 April 2013 17:47:28
    Goodo. Ta.
  • onestepfromlost 26 Apr 2013 19:02:39 2,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So if I buy a lappy with Win 8, The 8.1 start menu desktop boot thing will be like an automatic update? Ive managed to stay away from Win 8 So far but saw a nice laptop on sale with Win 8 and made me consider it.
  • StixxUK 26 Apr 2013 19:48:24 7,255 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I installed Windows 8 today. It takes more getting used to than any other version of Windows I've used.

I was also surprised it didn't ask me which web browser I wanted to use - I thought this was a legal requirement for them now!

Start screen is pretty useless, it's just a substitute for the start menu before going to desktop. Most apps take you to the desktop anyway.

The app store is shockingly crap.
  • Aretak 26 Apr 2013 19:56:29 10,359 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I was also surprised it didn't ask me which web browser I wanted to use - I thought this was a legal requirement for them now!
    The browser choice screen is an app now. I think it installs itself via Windows Update when you use it for the first time.
  • SpaceDave3000 26 Apr 2013 19:59:43 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Honestly don't see the problem everyone has with win 8, it shits on 7 for performance and has some great features. That and I haven't seen that start screen since I installed it, there are fucking loads of start menu replacements.

• morriss 26 Apr 2013 19:59:58 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just installed ClassicShell and it's not really different to any other windows version. The tiles are "ok," doubt I'll ever use them regularly, tbh. However, I'm buying a Lumia 920 so the full eco-system madness - so looking forward to see how the two integrate.
  • morriss 26 Apr 2013 20:00:45 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also got rid of the start screen completely and boot straight to desktop. Go me etc.
  • morriss 26 Apr 2013 20:03:14 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

The app store is shockingly crap.
    The fact that I can't yet type a search word into an app is very frustrating. Sports apps for example, there are over 1000 football ones, I want to find things to do with Spurs, they're not in alphabetical order and no search function means I browse through pages and pages of MAN UTD apps, or not bother. So I didn't.

Or, I'm an idiot and you can search.
  • SpaceDave3000 26 Apr 2013 20:06:01 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, you can search. Ergo, you're an idiot.

• SpaceDave3000 26 Apr 2013 20:10:07 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

• Aretak 26 Apr 2013 20:10:18 10,359 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can search by swiping on the right to bring up the charms bar and clicking the search button there. The fact that menu changes for each app is one of the many things Microsoft do a really poor job of communicating in the OS.
  • SpaceDave3000 26 Apr 2013 20:11:41 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah. Or you can just ignore it completely like I do.

• morriss 26 Apr 2013 20:13:01 71,034 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, you can search. Ergo, you're an idiot.
    \o/
  • Page

of 44 First / Last