Windows 8 Page 31

• Page

of 44 First / Last

• sport 20 Jan 2013 16:56:22 12,661 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, strangely enough, I did exactly this today. And I can confirm that you CAN use the Upgrade Assistant to purchase "Windows 8 Pro" for 24.99 WITHOUT a previous "bought" version of Windows.

Meaning, I custom built my PC 6 months ago and installed Windows 8 Release Preview which was free to use. The Upgrade Assistant didn't flinch and I'm now running on Retail Windows 8 Pro.
  • grey_matters 20 Jan 2013 19:59:35 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Ha, strangely enough, I did exactly this today. And I can confirm that you CAN use the Upgrade Assistant to purchase "Windows 8 Pro" for 24.99 WITHOUT a previous "bought" version of Windows.

Meaning, I custom built my PC 6 months ago and installed Windows 8 Release Preview which was free to use. The Upgrade Assistant didn't flinch and I'm now running on Retail Windows 8 Pro.
    I'd like to confirm that you can also do it for 14.99.

It doesn't seem to be obvious how to use an android phone as a modem which is surprisingly easy in Linux (just plug it in). I'm sure it'll be simple enough though after a bit of reading.
  • Dirtbox 20 Jan 2013 20:09:49 77,631 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does the phone not have connection sharing? You just connect to it wirelessly like you would a regular router.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• grey_matters 20 Jan 2013 20:16:13 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Does the phone not have connection sharing? You just connect to it wirelessly like you would a regular router.
    :)
    Yeah, unfortunately the machine is a bit of hodge-podge of parts and, as yet, no wireless card. I think it's just a matter of finding out the number that my operator uses (usually something like #99*) and adding in a new modem. It's a rare enough event that Linux makes things easier for you than Windows though.
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Jan 2013 18:55:39 5,825 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another Windows 8 user. And another one that misses the classic Start button. If someone else is in the same boat and would like something like that back, install Pokki. It's actually quite brilliant, even though it in effect turns your laptop into a Windows 7.5. You get a traditional start menu, and in that start menu will be a button, that takes you into the *new* start menu, should you wish to use that again. So, no accidentally going into the bottom left corner and clicking the new start menu by mistake. With this app, it gets disabled. Great find.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jan 2013 19:33:06 10,477 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I only use my PC for gaming on the telly, is it worth taking the cheap upgrae to W8 fromW7?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Steve_Perry 21 Jan 2013 19:44:37 3,807 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nope. Literally zero benefits.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Mr-Brett 21 Jan 2013 20:13:28 12,741 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    They should have got rid of the start button years ago, it's a terrible UI design.

Press the windows key, type in a few letters. Pin commonly used things to task bar / desktop. What's hard about that?
    It's easy! It really is the fastest way to find an app.
    That's why it's in Win7.
    Exactly, that's why I don't get why people are confused by 8, it's really not that different to use.
    You could do that before but now you have to hit the windows button to get into the new UI that almost works with a cursor but not quite, move the cursor into the corner of the screen to bring up another menu, click the search function then start typing. No it's not much harder but like the xbox dash it's adding unnecessary layers of UI between what you want and getting to it.

Also the start menu may have been awkward but I have so much crap on my PC that I sometimes need something but can't remember exactly what it's called which makes searching for it a tiresome process. Now things are so fenced off and child-proofed that the only way I know of to get a list of what's on the PC is in the uninstall menu.

I've not spent long with Win 8 since as I said it was someone else's PC so maybe I'm missing things but to me Win 8 doesn't seem like an upgrade, nothing I've seen has been 'improved' just changed. It's not better it's different, a side-step so to speak.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Chopsen 21 Jan 2013 20:26:22 15,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are a few tweaks. Task Manager has been updated, and there a file history function that keeps previous records of your files on an external HD. Other small incremental things which will probably matter more in the future than they do now, such as UEFI support.

With the exception of the file back up thingy, it's all pretty marginal, and it's definitely cancelled out by a godawful gui.
  • grey_matters 21 Jan 2013 20:36:48 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    :)
    Yeah, unfortunately the machine is a bit of hodge-podge of parts and, as yet, no wireless card. I think it's just a matter of finding out the number that my operator uses (usually something like #99*) and adding in a new modem. It's a rare enough event that Linux makes things easier for you than Windows though.
    In the unlikely event that someone else out there has the same problems as I had (no broadband connection except for phone, no wireless connection on desktop computer) and needs to use the phone as a wired modem, it turns out it is easy enough (although not as straightforward as it should be).

You need to get the USB drivers for your phone and you need to know what number your operator uses to connect to the internet (very often *99# or something similar). Once the phone is recognised, create a new dial-up connection with the above number, or its substitute, in whatever field requires it. You don't need a name or password.

They should really have a look at Linux to see how to streamline this process:
    -> Connect phone
    "Oh, you have connect a mobile broadband device. Would you like to use it as a modem?"
    -> Click "Yes"
    "Yes? Great! What country are you in?"
    -> "Wherever"
    "OK! What network?"
    -> "Whatever"
    Done.
  • Widge Moderator 2 Feb 2013 23:36:10 13,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got it for front room PC and I really like the UI. Wish I had got it for the other PC we have now too.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• m1lly 8 Feb 2013 13:31:08 14 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    windows 8 is dump. dump
  • Dirtbox 8 Feb 2013 13:38:23 77,631 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A cogent opinion.

• Steve_Perry 8 Feb 2013 14:19:43 3,807 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Windows 8. Masturbate. Same number of syllables. Coincidence?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• mcmonkeyplc 8 Feb 2013 14:20:55 39,406 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I use Windows 8 to do that, so it's clearly not a coincidence.

DESTINY!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• jagg3r 8 Feb 2013 14:33:21 1,030 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have it a week now and I wish I never updated, having nothing but problems with it, constant runtime errors, problems with certain games, less frames in games, a weird problem with my display where certain games only run at 1080p 59 hz instead of 60hz.The interface is pretty smooth once it loads. Teething problems I guess, hope there ironed out soon

I5 sandybridge over clocked to 4.4
    8 gbs ram
    660 it
  • Dirtbox 8 Feb 2013 14:41:52 77,631 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nvidia I'm guessing?

Create a new profile in the control panel (change resolution > Customise) for it to run at 65 or 70 instead. Or uncheck the button for enabling those annoying refresh rate resolutions.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:44:22 08-02-2013

• RobAnybody 8 Feb 2013 15:17:23 890 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Here's a better idea - uninstall the POS that is Win8 and bung on Windows 7 instead. :)
  • mcmonkeyplc 8 Feb 2013 15:19:28 39,406 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Install Linux.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 8 Feb 2013 15:22:12 59,293 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or, without overreacting, a clean install of windows 8 rather than an upgrade of an existing system.

They made it quite easy to upgrade but, in my experience, its always better to do a clean install of any OS rather than slap another one on top of it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Widge Moderator 15 Feb 2013 08:51:18 13,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got a Logitech K400r to go with the front room PC. Really nice keyboard, the touchpad is decent and I like the way a two finger move scrolls webpages, swipes from the sides bring up different W8 functions, and the F1-12 keys do some W8 functions like bring up the search immediately.

I just thought, Smartglass... it would be feasible to have something like SurfaceRT control your W8 PC? So effectively could control the front room TV with a touchscreen thing, which would make it incredibly awesome.

I'm in the market for a tablet to do things like Wordpress, but this suddenly counts RT in the frame for me.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Bremenacht 15 Feb 2013 14:38:36 17,682 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Where's the cheapest you can get it now?
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 14:43:02 59,293 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thepiratebay.com

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Bremenacht 15 Feb 2013 14:52:48 17,682 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Where's the cheapest you can get it legit?

I see a legit W7 pro licence can be bought for 30, so if I cannot get W8 for something close I'll probably not bother, seeing as it'll go on a standard laptop.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 14:54:29
    +1
  • grey_matters 15 Feb 2013 16:46:52 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

I see a legit W7 pro licence can be bought for 30, so if I cannot get W8 for something close I'll probably not bother, seeing as it'll go on a standard laptop.
    Pretty sure you can still buy an OEM upgrade license for 15 (which you can do a full install from) for another couple of weeks, here.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 17:03:19
    Yeah, you need a valid W7 license last time I tried.
  • jagg3r 15 Feb 2013 17:55:37 1,030 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Yeah, you need a valid W7 license last time I tried.
    Or a cracked version works too ;)
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 16:15:48 17,682 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:

Pretty sure you can still buy an OEM upgrade license for 15 (which you can do a full install from) for another couple of weeks, here.
    Good stuff. When you say 'full install' do you mean a clean install from boot, or you have to install from the W7 O/S you intend to upgrade?
  • Jetset_UK 5 Mar 2013 09:33:00 3,563 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380347/windows-8-pro-price-slashed-to-45
  • Page

of 44 First / Last