Windows 8 Page 4

• Page

of 44 First / Last

• Chopsen 2 Jun 2011 13:53:57 16,003 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Given that MS's position of strength all along has been compatibility, it does seem like an uncharacteristic thing for them to do.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 13:54:52 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There might be some sort of emulation, like Wine. But I sort of doubt it would be first party.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• pauleyc 2 Jun 2011 13:58:44 4,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some sort of emulation might be possible, still the question of efficiency remains. Plus, a lot of people might be disappointed that their fancy Win8 tablet won't run exactly the same stuff as their Win8 desktop PC.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 14:00:54 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's only on cheapo ARM powered netbooks though, so who gives a shit.

• grey_matters 2 Jun 2011 14:06:55 3,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's only on cheapo ARM powered netbooks though, so who gives a shit.
    There'll be desktops too once the ARM Eagle chip is released. Office/media machines mostly.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 14:10:17 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would be amusing if you could install it on an ipad.

• Deleted user 2 June 2011 16:52:20
    I like the look of it a lot. Been a big fan of the design of the WP7 UI, and this seems to be a more desktop focused version of that. Will be good and looks like a better stab at the PC media centre than they have made in the past (Windows Media Centre is shite). Can picture it working very well Kinect. Wouldn't surprise me if we saw mini media centre PC+Kinect packages with W8 at some point.
  • pauleyc 3 Jun 2011 20:21:24 4,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    I installed a custom theme, the Aero theme is an abomination.

Like this
    Cheers, Crispy - I just installed the Dusk variant and it's absolutely lovely.
  • JammyB 3 Jun 2011 21:55:47 756 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First things first, I really like the Metro UI and the principles behind it, and I've seen some great designs based on it. But this interface is just horrible for the following reasons:

- Metro is meant to be minimal, and that's why it works, so why does the weather page have a fullscreen, distracting video running in the background?
    - Why is the stocks and shares graph so over-stylised and unhelpful? Is this tool meant to be for serious people wanting to check their wealth at a glance or is it not?
    - Switching between apps with the flick on the side is great.. oh except I can only cycle through in a linear fashion, and have no idea which screen is coming next. So we've had a major regression from Alt + tab here.
    - How am I going to browse a full size (non-mobile) website, such as this one, with my sausage fingers? Admittedly web designers need to be better here, but that's how it is.
    - The Vista/Win7 embedded GUI switch... jesus christ. They didn't even bother to make the window control buttons touch friendly. This is just absurd. The fact that he didn't even attempt to use Excel tells you everything you need to know.

Simply put these people don't know whether they're targeting serious people who want a productivity tool, or children/infantalised adults who want a new flashy toy to play with. They've ended up with this awful compromise that isn't going to work well for either user.

At least it's "HTML5"/JS based (I don't think they understand that HTML5 doesn't mean JS/CSS3). This is the direction MS need to be going in if they're to stay relevant in the future and they are obviously aware of this and have a healthy attitude towards it.
  • Phily50 5 Jun 2011 22:55:50 2,199 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Would be amusing if you could install it on an ipad.

There's an app for that...
  • Red-Moose 5 Jun 2011 23:04:23 5,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks cool, but the fundamental problem with touchscreens IMO is that you have to raise your hands up from the desk or table. I like to give my wrists a good work out, but holding arms up for any length of time is tiring.

Therefore, give me some way of manipulating the screen while my arms are lying on my lap or on the desk.
  • BartonFink 5 Jun 2011 23:55:37 34,935 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks really cool no wonder the Apple fanboys are giving it a slating.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2011 01:08:51
    Dirtbox wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    I installed a custom theme, the Aero theme is an abomination.

Like this
    That's Glass Onion, isn't it? I tried installing that, but fucked something up somewhere.
    Heh, I went looking for this theme and came across a few comments on DeviantArt written by 'dertbox'. Not sure if I'm going to bother replacing explorerframe.dll now, I like being able to see my files. (I think there's a mistake in the Readme - he tells you to replace the Syswow64 file with the 32-bit version, which might be a typo, but I'm really not sure.)
  • Dirtbox 6 Jun 2011 06:19:52 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, that was me.

• Jeepers 6 Jun 2011 06:45:28 13,181 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just saw that Win8 video for the first time. MS are in such a tricky position: to avoid shooting the OS in the head, they need to maintain support for legacy apps but at some stage they're going to have to re-design the Win UI from scratch. Stitching the two together as they have in this video is going to make for a horribly fractured user experience.

I liked the idea of the larger app icons allowing data to be shown before app-launch - it's a cute trick combining apps and widgets / making the widget the app launcher.

App switching was sucky tho', for the reasons JammyB mentioned.

I don't envy the Win8 UX team. Spending your life applying lipstick to a chicken can't be fun.
  • Dirtbox 6 Jun 2011 07:12:16 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not really like that, the compatibility thing is only in the case of supporting radically different system architecture, just as Apple did when they started using a Unix kernel for Intel systems. For the majority of Windows users that use intel/AMD based systems it'll be as backwardly compatible as it always was. Also the NT kernel is hardly a chicken under the hood, although that made me laugh. It does have drawbacks, but no more or less than a Unix kernel. Some superficial, outwardly noticeable differences and some deeper issues are what really set them apart. Apples and oranges. NT is generally a better kernel for home desktop systems IMHO, but that doesn't mean that Windows has a better interface.

MS and Apple have already undergone radical kernel shifts over the last decade and a bit, Apple even more dramatically and neither really needs to change it any time soon.

I think those without a touch screen, or even those with will be turning that arguably pretty, but pointless Metro UI off in no time.

• Jeepers 6 Jun 2011 07:26:24 13,181 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I was unclear in my post - I meant maintain support for legacy apps in terms of the UI, rather than the underlying tech / architecture. It's odd seeing the Win8 UI layered over the traditional Win UI - I'm not sure that you can support both without a whole raft of usability issues. Tricky design job.

Edit: This is all assuming that MS want to transition from the traditional Win UI to the new Win8 UI across the OS, rather than Metro just being a pretty front-end visual gag that'll wither on the vine (like OSX's shitty 'widgets').
  • Dirtbox 6 Jun 2011 07:33:00 78,210 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, for legacy apps it would just act like a customisable launcher, not really that much different to the start menu. No extra work would need to be done to the apps.

The stupid thing about the video is they show off the touch interface to launch apps that you couldn't possibly use on a touch screen.

• ecureuil 12 Jul 2011 00:52:38 76,815 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rumoured to support Xbox 360 games.
  • coastal 14 Sep 2011 08:31:27 5,383 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Windows 8 Developer preview is out now..

here

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Deleted user 14 September 2011 09:22:17
    ecureuil wrote:
    Rumoured to support Xbox 360 games.
    Only 6 years late, eh? :D
  • warlockuk 14 Sep 2011 09:25:49 19,171 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, doubt it'd happen for piracy reasons. Should be easy enough to emulate though, as the games are all build on PCs anyway aren't they? XNA maybe? /dunno

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Zomoniac 14 Sep 2011 09:28:38 7,831 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Heh, doubt it'd happen for piracy reasons. Should be easy enough to emulate though, as the games are all build on PCs anyway aren't they? XNA maybe? /dunno

Not sure. The original 360 dev kits were Power Macs because of the similarity between the G5 CPU and the one 360 uses. Obviously with all Macs being Intel now and the G5 being underpowered for the job I'm guessing they're not any more though.
  • azurelas_2 15 Sep 2011 02:17:25 1,116 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished installing the developer's version.

Startup is definitely faster, although the new GUI takes some getting used to. Games seem to work fine (I did have to manually reinstall most of them).

I like it
  • warlockuk 15 Sep 2011 02:20:45 19,171 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really hate the UI

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• spamdangled 15 Sep 2011 02:24:23 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Link to the dev version?

Is it in beta yet?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• azurelas_2 15 Sep 2011 02:24:31 1,116 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does take some getting used to. I'm imagining it working perfectly with the next generation of tablets though
  • azurelas_2 15 Sep 2011 02:25:46 1,116 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Windows 8 Dev.
  • spamdangled 15 Sep 2011 02:36:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    Windows 8 Dev.
    I now desperately want a Win 8 tablet.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• azurelas_2 15 Sep 2011 03:10:48 1,116 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PC does seem... slower...

/concerned
  • Page

of 44 First / Last