Windows 8 Page 28

• Page

of 44 First / Last

• Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 21:56:33 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It didn't work because it says "YOUR RESOLUTION IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH FOR METRO APPS" except you tweak the registry and then they suddenly work perfectly, which is why it's a bit of a ridiculous requirement.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Hardware_requirements

" Windows Store apps require a screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher to run"

The problem is without a doubt on your side, 720p must be supported as far as i know and i've read all around the net.

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 21:58:56 78,200 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lyserberg wrote:
    Oh, i think i have my hand up my arse

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 22:00:40 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Lyserberg wrote:
    Oh, i think i have my hand up my arse
    Nice one man, i'm going to bed, you managed to explode me from so much laughing... :D

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Deleted user 8 November 2012 22:47:53
    Lyserberg wrote:
    meme wrote:
    It didn't work because it says "YOUR RESOLUTION IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH FOR METRO APPS" except you tweak the registry and then they suddenly work perfectly, which is why it's a bit of a ridiculous requirement.

The problem is without a doubt on your side, 720p must be supported as far as i know and i've read all around the net.
    This is from Microsoft itself:

and a reply from an MS tech guy from someone asking why apps won't open at 720p

The 1024x768 is a hard coded requirement for displaying the Windows 8 Apps.

Your 1280 horizontal resolution is OK, but the 720 vertical resolution will not work.
    So no, it's not on my end.
  • Lyserberg 9 Nov 2012 21:40:43 349 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Lyserberg wrote:
    meme wrote:

This is from Microsoft itself:

and a reply from an MS tech guy from someone asking why apps won't open at 720p

The 1024x768 is a hard coded requirement for displaying the Windows 8 Apps.

Your 1280 horizontal resolution is OK, but the 720 vertical resolution will not work.
    So no, it's not on my end.
    Oh now i get it, it must be the only 720 vertical pixels that won't allow apps to run on a 720p screen.
    Too bad for you man ! :-P

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Dirtbox 9 Nov 2012 21:56:58 78,200 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This guy is some sort of genius.

• RobAnybody 9 Nov 2012 23:24:19 894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ooh look, Win 8 has built-in advertising .............

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsofts-Big-Hidden-Windows-8-Feature-BuiltIn-Advertising/

And don't forget the built-in tracking that's linked to your email address.

That's two more reasons to avoid this new OS.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 23:47:41 54,201 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wait... the actual operating system or apps? If it's in apps, big fucking deal. You've been buying games with advertising built in for the last 5 years.

You either can't live with the advertising, and you don't buy the app, or you can, and you do.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 23:50:35
    Yeah, those are just advertisements within optional free apps. You might as well get annoyed at adverts on Bing.com or something.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 18:24:55
    I would suggest anyone using a SSD for primary drive C: (in my case I'm also using two SATA HDDs in Raid1 for mapping D:\Users\profile) looking to keep the install on a small 55GB SSD to about 25GB, should reconfigure most of the System Restore storage, Recycle Bin and Virtual Memory needs onto the D:\ drive, then just leaving 100MB, 100MB, 1024MB respectively on C: so the features continue to work.

Most importantly, if you've got 16GB of main memory, then you'll have a huge c:\hiberfil.sys file (hidden), and to delete it you'll need to disable hibernation via the command line with administrative privileges using the following command.

powercfg -h off

Previously, my system was reporting just 4GB spare on the SSD, and now is less than half full with these little changes.
  • jellyhead 12 Nov 2012 18:51:42 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can also redirect the "Installer" folder which holds OS updates and patch installers from the Windows folder to another drive. I'll update when i find the reg key to change...

It's not a regkey, i used the Junction command to redirect "C:\WINDOWS\installer" to a folder on my HDD.

On Windows 7 I've redirected many folders to my HDD rather than the SSD. I've also redirected Temp Folders and Browser cache directories to my HDD too.

Edited by jellyhead at 18:54:48 12-11-2012

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 20:06:00
    @jellyhead

That sounds like a good tip for optimal disk space use, but probably a little bit more aggressive than I'd go on a Windows or even linux/unix install today.

My acid test is, if(or when) I forget what I had done, then 6months down the line moved a folder or formatted, relocated or changed a drive letter or folder rename. Could the optimisations result in a system that wouldn't boot, or might stop me logging in, without an installation disk.

For this reason alone, I don't fully relocate the whole profile(C:\Users\profile). But just the main sub-folders: contacts, favourites, documents, videos, music, searches, links, saved games to D:\. I did used to do it the other way, but it rarely end well, symbolically linking external storage for system folders :)
  • robthehermit 16 Nov 2012 11:20:17 4,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still running the beta on my laptop, but will be doing a proper upgrade tomorrow courtesy of HTC. So the question is, clean install or just dump it on top of all the other shit that's already there?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Iain815 16 Nov 2012 14:28:29 412 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me, personally, I always clean install my OS upgrades. Guaranteed no problems and nothing beats a nice, fresh OS install.
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Nov 2012 14:57:50 39,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've upgraded on top of Windows 7, some teething problems. Nothing game breaking though.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• sport 16 Nov 2012 14:58:57 12,731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever monkey does, do the opposite :-)
  • robthehermit 16 Nov 2012 14:59:02 4,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Iain815 Cheers, I was leaning that way anyway. Guess I'd better dig out my office cd's and back up all my crap tonight then.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Steve_Perry 16 Nov 2012 14:59:08 4,251 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had to reinstall CS 5 after I upgraded from 7, but that was about it. The rest was painless.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Nov 2012 15:02:25 39,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    What's the opposite of March?

• sport 16 Nov 2012 15:31:24 12,731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    sport wrote:
    What's the opposite of March?
    HALT!
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 15:52:26
    No Metro integration for Office 2013 is the most baffling thing I've seen after installing it in work on a whim. I also appear to need a Microsoft account to use the store which has tried to replace the local account. Can't imagine much use for this OS in any corporate setup.

I've stuck the Start button back onto the desktop and can happily ignore Metro completely now.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Nov 2012 15:56:14 4,251 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't mind metro, the idea is good, I just find I have nowt to do on it. As you say, Office 2013 preview goes to desktop, I use chrome on desktop, and there are fuck all apps on the store which I want to use for metro.

The email client gets some use, but that's about it.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Nov 2012 16:15:05 39,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I only use the email client and national rail.

That's it.

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 19:36:21
    Welp, I've switched back to Win 7 now. I like Win 8, but the programs I use most are split between Metro and desktop, and it started to feel like I was using two different OSes. I'll switch back to 8 eventually, when more apps and things migrate over and I no longer need to excessively switch between desktop and Metro, and when some of the minor annoyances have been ironed out.
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 Nov 2012 21:52:55 35,556 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 22:03:13
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 20:41:54
    Ok, my Win7 CD is fucked and I cba to do the recovery partition and spend an hour uninstalling all the Dell crap or download an iso, so back to Windows 8 it is.

I've actually discovered something that makes the UI pretty solid though. The old, forgotten tech of voice recognition. Surprising how well it works with Metro, and switching to a specific app open on the desktop by just saying its name is saving me a fair few extra clicks or shortcuts.

Edited by meme at 20:42:13 17-11-2012
  • L0cky 18 Nov 2012 01:36:47 1,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Croteam are backing Valve on their opposition to Windows 8.

Steam forums.
  • Dirtbox 18 Nov 2012 01:46:14 78,200 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Meh. The only reason valve is throwing their toys out of their pram is because it's a content delivery system that isn't them and they feel they're being shut out of the market.

On one hand, it's a bit pathetic because who the fuck cares if you can't make tiles for uncertified programs, but on the other, PCs wouldn't be anywhere near as popular for gaming were it not for Steam.

Edited by Dirtbox at 01:50:39 18-11-2012

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 02:04:27
    Yeah, I find Valve's complaints about walled gardens run a bit hollow. Personally, I don't think that MS will ever wall off the desktop completely though. They'd run into so many antitrust suits that it'd bankrupt them. They'll do it for tablets and whatnot (and technically already have done with RT), but the desktop...I just don't see it. I'm pretty sure MS have already backed off on the no mature games thing, too.
  • Page

of 44 First / Last