Windows 8 Page 27

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 November 2012 15:49:33
    UncleLou wrote:
    I did that, and it worked once, until I tried the first GFWL game. Now everytime I try to launch it, I am told I need the "Windows Live ID assistant" to sign in, and get redirected to the same download location of the assistant (which is already installed).
    A google finds this potential (longwinded) fix:

Delete all previous installations of GFWL and clean the registry. (ccleaner is a good program that will do this)
    Download gfwlivesetupmin.exe (28 Mb), from http://www.shacknews.com/file/18176/games-for-windows-live-client-v33
    Install the client and run it. It will ask you to download an update (624 Kb) called gfwlivesetup.exe by clicking the requested link. Install it.
    Launch GFWLive.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.
    Looks like you install an older version of the client and let it update itself, rather than the newest client, which presumably has update agents that don't work on Win 8.

Edited by meme at 15:50:23 04-11-2012
  • Steve_Perry 7 Nov 2012 10:06:18 2,505 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Really love the look of W8, but I'm still not really finding any use for the start screen except as a posh place to put shortcuts rather that on the desktop like I did in windows 7.

Are there any must have apps? Save netflix, skydrive and email I have barely got anything on there. No official google apps, no facebook (or is there?).

VIVA STEFANSEN

• askew 7 Nov 2012 10:17:47 11,473 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didlr is pretty fun for a while.

Edit: Link as follows: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/didlr/7f128187-a596-47bf-9da7-399be979787f

Edited by askew at 10:18:31 07-11-2012
  • andytheadequate 7 Nov 2012 23:20:55 7,974 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone else had problems connecting to a network? I can connect but it says I have limited connectivity and won't let me access the internet.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 23:23:35
    I like the way your fullscreen apps goto windows apps, that's brilliant.
  • superdelphinus 7 Nov 2012 23:24:05 7,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to say I expected a bit more of a flood of new apps to welcome the new OS. Is it because the phones aren't really out there yet?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 23:26:26
    Not, it's because it's early and they all have to be fullscreen metro apps, nothings stopping you using normal apps.
  • Salaman 7 Nov 2012 23:57:44 18,277 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's the normal way for turning it off? I couldn't find it readily, so I just hit F4. Not bothered to use that but surely there some other means?
  • ecureuil 7 Nov 2012 23:59:23 76,038 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bring out the bar on the right hand side (top right on PC, swipe from right on touch screen), then Settings, then Power.
  • Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 00:00:26 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I have to say I expected a bit more of a flood of new apps to welcome the new OS. Is it because the phones aren't really out there yet?
    They've been out there for a couple of years already.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Steve_Perry 8 Nov 2012 10:22:47 2,505 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone know how u get rid off the horrrible borders when watching stuff on the netfix app?

Wouldn't bother me if they were black, but massive white borders is shite.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 11:11:20 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    White borders? Can you put a screenshot on imgur?

Winkey and prntscrn saves a screenshot in your my pics folder btw.

• elephantjuice 8 Nov 2012 12:10:00 554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Steve_Perry

Can't say I've had that problem or any borders at all for that matter when using the Netflix app. What resolution are you using and what's the aspect ratio of the stuff you're watching?
  • Steve_Perry 8 Nov 2012 12:14:51 2,505 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll chuck a shot on later when I get home. It's 1200x 720 (or something close to that). I know its under the recommended resolution for windows 8 so perhaps that's why.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 13:30:20 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that would be it. The minimum res is stupidly high considering the amount of hardware that can't support it, and there's no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't.

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 13:32:54 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a workaround for lower resolution screens here and here. No idea if they still work, but it's still early days. It's only a matter of time before all the stuff like this is hacked and fixed.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:35:10 08-11-2012

• Steve_Perry 8 Nov 2012 13:38:38 2,505 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers I will have a look at those.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Maturin 8 Nov 2012 20:55:42 2,753 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stardock has just announced a program that lets you use custom backgrounds and colourschemes on the Start screen.

You can try the beta here.
  • Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 21:22:16 349 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote::mad:
    Yeah, that would be it. The minimum res is stupidly high considering the amount of hardware that can't support it, and there's no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't.
    I have to disagree with you, the minimum requirement for metro apps is 1024x768 which is what most if not all ppl are having on their PCs even CRT screens which some of them can simulate higher resolutions in their panels (so pinning apps to the sides even with some lost pixels won't be an issue) , to pin apps on one of the sides you need a 1360x768 as a min requirement, Microsoft justified this by saying that 320 pixels is a familiar resolution to developpers who worked on mobile apps and they can provide the similar set of dense packed info by using it wisely, not to mention that Metro UI also factors in the size of the screen, so ModernUI app can scale accordingly !
    So yeah the minimum requirements are pretty much compatible with any PC outthere (with the exception being netbooks) and to get the most out of it be sure to have the latest graphics card driver installed.

OT :-P :
    Don't tell me you put that worm avatar just to bother me... :lol::mad:

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 21:31:38 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Stardock has just announced a program that lets you use custom backgrounds and colourschemes on the Start screen.

You can try the beta here.

They need to bundle all these things together into one program.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:32:13 08-11-2012

• Dirtbox 8 Nov 2012 21:33:01 76,375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Lyserberg I'm talking about netbooks with a 1024x600 resolution. And many laptops, mine included is under 13k x whatever. So you're talking shit.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:34:44 08-11-2012

• Deleted user 8 November 2012 21:38:51
    Yeah, I ran into problems connecting it up to the 720p TV. Video app wouldn't run, so just loaded up VLC instead.
  • Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 21:43:06 349 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @Lyserberg I'm talking about netbooks with a 1024x600 resolution. And many laptops, mine included is under 13k x whatever. So you're talking shit.
    For one thing, yeah i know you're talking about netbooks, but i don't like that fact that you're bashing them just for having a "reasonnable" screen requirement, and for the other, i'm not talking about outdated notebooks which are no longer produced or have 15 inchs screen with 1024x768 resolutions (looking at the space between pixels is just brutal...), and still ModernUI apps run just fine on these screens, it's just the pinning on the side feature that needs those extra pixels.
    Most web pages are based on a 1024 horizontal assets, so imagine if i let you pin apps without having these extra pixels to spare + some programs only work on 1024x768... it can actually only show half of your web page/software and it would look totally useless and pretty pointless, Microsoft knew what they were doing by only allowing the guys who have 1360x768 to use this feature, because it is still able to let them browse the web, use apps without any disturbing from these functions

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 21:45:32 349 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, I ran into problems connecting it up to the 720p TV. Video app wouldn't run, so just loaded up VLC instead.
    Make sure your drivers + updates are all installed properly, i can't find a good reason for it not launching + VLC and K-Lite Codec are still my first choices in terms of multimedia, so... anyway i'm not that worried about the video app...

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Deleted user 8 November 2012 21:45:52
    The fact that all these things have been hacked around to some extent shows how superfluous it all is anyway.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 21:46:53
    Lyserberg wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Make sure your drivers + updates are all installed properly, i can't find a good reason for it not launching + VLC and K-Lite Codec are still my first choices in terms of multimedia, so... anyway i'm not that worried about the video app...
    VLC did work fine. I'm saying that if I'm outputting to my 720p TV, something lots of people do with their PCs, I can't run any Metro Apps by default.
  • Lyserberg 8 Nov 2012 21:48:43 349 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Lyserberg wrote:
    meme wrote:
    VLC did work fine. I'm saying that if I'm outputting to my 720p TV, something lots of people do with their PCs, I can't run any Metro Apps by default.
    Oh, i think i have my hand on the problem, if you're using dual screen mode, you need to set it as your primary screen, maybe that way you'll be able to use metro with it. And if it's your only screen i can't find actually any good reason why that didn't work :(

La cerise sur le gāteau!

• Deleted user 8 November 2012 21:51:00
    It didn't work because it says "YOUR RESOLUTION IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH FOR METRO APPS" except you tweak the registry and then they suddenly work perfectly, which is why it's a bit of a ridiculous requirement.
  • Page

of 42 First / Last