Windows 8

• Page

of 44 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 06:12:33 78,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The new interface, it's all touchy strokey.

Not that it looks bad or anything, but I see several bad things about it. The main interface is built for touch, not many people have touch screen PCs. Also touch screens don't really work for regular windows, which is underneath the Metro shell, so it's neither one thing nor the other - therefore missing the point of both.

Still, early days I suppose, but to me it looks like Win7 with an arcade frontend.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Psychotext 2 Jun 2011 06:36:09 54,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's surely just their touchscreen implementation. There's no way in hell that it wont have the standard window interface too.
  • Khanivor 2 Jun 2011 06:42:44 40,728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My god, it's a mahoosive head.
  • MetalDog 2 Jun 2011 07:47:55 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All I really want from Windows is for it to be a stable, slim and adjustable launchpad for the programs I'm really interested in. What I really don't want is to have to re-learn how to find everything yet again - stop hiding and moving my fucking options menus!

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• AaronTurner 2 Jun 2011 07:53:04 7,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks great, the standard interface is shown in that video too so it's obviously still there but there are definitely times when I turn on my PC and all I want is a simply interface that gives me internet, music or video.
  • mrharvest 2 Jun 2011 08:01:13 5,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, nothing out of the ordinary here. Every other release they break it, every other release they fix it. ME, Vista, W8.
  • silentbob 2 Jun 2011 08:06:10 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's surely just their touchscreen implementation. There's no way in hell that it wont have the standard window interface too.
    You mean the one that appears in the middle of the video?

Looks lovely - I really hope however this doesn't end up confirming my suspicions: that this is a hurried yet cleverly integrated skin, desperately trying to address problems with Windows as a touch screen driven OS. The incongruous appearance of 'good 'ol' explorer slap bang in the middle of all that slickness doesn't do much to allay those fears.

MS need to realise that explorer needs a massive overhaul in order for it to be poked about by chubby digits. Patching it with slidey blocks isn't much help if ultimately you're stuck with fiddly toolbars et al.

Still, not long to wait before the first private / public betas I guess. We'll find out whether Sharks have been jumped and opportunities missed then. Mmmmm, shiny.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Jun 2011 08:44:52 39,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No scathing comments by an apple worshiper?! They must be doing something right. :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• woodnotes 2 Jun 2011 08:46:33 4,924 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That looks lovely but looks like their new tablet OS rather than their new PC OS. Looks better than iPad IMO if it does run on a tablet - I hate Apple's wall of icons, always reminds me of a cluttered Windows desktop.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 09:06:43
    Looks like a big shitty Windows 7 Phone.
  • woodnotes 2 Jun 2011 09:09:47 4,924 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Looks like a big shitty Windows 7 Phone.
    They've learned from Apple then. Take your phone, make it bigger.
  • anon_ 2 Jun 2011 09:12:36 211 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jun 2011 09:41:51 39,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's wrong with the windows 7 phone UI anyway?

• Deleted user 2 June 2011 09:47:52
    It's shit, that's what's wrong with it
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jun 2011 09:51:19 39,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We can add that to the list of things we disagree on then :)

• Deleted user 2 June 2011 09:52:27
    Yeah, you are a blinkered MS fanboy though, so you cant help it :D
  • coastal 2 Jun 2011 09:53:12 5,383 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have tumblr bought MS?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• boo 2 Jun 2011 09:59:59 11,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    No scathing comments by an apple worshiper?! They must be doing something right. :)

Half a mo - Let me watch the vid and then I'll pop back to say how rubbish it is.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 10:01:04 78,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the way it looks, Metro is a tad better looking than the IOS front end imo, I was never that keen on that shiny icon malarky, it was a bit dated from the off.

I do wish they'd do something about the shitty aero glass frames though, that diagonal """shine""" is abysmal. That's definitely something OSX and IOS has that's nicer. Still, that's easy enough to swap, but it's not really the point. No use in revamping one thing if you're going to do half a job, I'd far rather they Metroed the entire thing than just that swishy front end.

Also that Ribbon with all the options for crap that's already in the context menu is the clunkiest thing ever. Why does it have to be so thick? Our screens are wide, not tall, give me back my vertical real estate please, MS.

• mouse Moderator 2 Jun 2011 10:12:53 10,312 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't mind this, you have to at least give them credit for trying something new and differentiating themselves. The contrast between the Metro touch interface and the standard Win7 desktop apps feels slightly scrappy, and I can't help but feel it would come off much better if they went down the Lion-style full screen app route, at least with their in house stuff to set the standard for third parties to follow. But it's a pretty good move generally, I reckon.
  • boo 2 Jun 2011 10:21:18 11,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well it's not going to bring me back from OSX to Windows.

The whole 'touch screen' / 'thumb-oriented keyboard' thing makes it look like a mobile phone OS that's been scaled up to run on a desktop / laptop, whereas in truth, no matter what the likes of Microsoft and Apple would want you to believe, a desktop is used in a different fashion to a mobile device. Sure you might be running the same applications, but you interact with them in a different way.

The big icons looked very simplistic - presumably it's not a finished design, but it just looked like a bad powerpoint. At least throw in some curved edges or shading.

We'll see more over the coming months, but it appears, at the moment, to be just a new frock on an old model.

Difficult to tell from that vid, but it does seem as though they're trying to move (further) away from menus and drop downs, like the traditional 'File', 'Edit', 'View' etc (I'm still running XP on my work machine - Mrs Boo's Vista laptop confuses the hell out of me). Couldn't see much in the way of menus on the ( I think) IE 10 screen, though Excel looks like it's still got something.

Like Metaldog says - it's going to hack off a bunch of people who now have to re-learn how to do something they already knew how to do.

Just Another Lego Blog

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Jun 2011 10:23:18 39,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2/10 no where near scathing! :)

• Mr-Brett 2 Jun 2011 10:29:06 12,785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:
    The big icons looked very simplistic - presumably it's not a finished design, but it just looked like a bad powerpoint. At least throw in some curved edges or shading.

I like it, it's clean and simple. There's a lot of unnecessary faux-shading and the like that started about 10 years ago and has stuck around, but it's doesn't really add anything and is over-due replacing.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 10:29:25 78,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boy, that Metro design really flew over his head huh, "presumably it's not a finished design" made me laugh.

The OSK isn't for use on a desktop, it's for tablets, and tbh, it's a smarter idea than the shocker that is the current OSKs on both windows and IOS.

• Dirtbox 2 Jun 2011 10:31:54 78,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    There's a lot of unnecessary faux-shading and the like that started about 10 years ago and has stuck around, but it's doesn't really add anything and is over-due replacing.
    Yeah exactly, those glassy IOS icons aren't fooling anyone, they're a throwback from what people thought was cool in the 90s.

Info tiles are a much smarter idea and means you don't have to launch an app to see if there's anything on it worth looking at.

Doesn't alleviate my other gripes, but it's a step up design-wise from IOS in that respect.

• cianchristopher 2 Jun 2011 10:39:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They'll never top Vista, oh no...
  • Tomo 2 Jun 2011 10:41:31 13,910 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    All I really want from Windows is for it to be a stable, slim and adjustable launchpad for the programs I'm really interested in. What I really don't want is to have to re-learn how to find everything yet again - stop hiding and moving my fucking options menus!

This is the big thing for me too. It's truly infuriating. Win7 is very useable though now I know what's going on.
  • mouse Moderator 2 Jun 2011 10:54:45 10,312 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's understandable that people are keen to keep hold of their existing knowledge of how a platform works, but you have to realise though that Microsoft's need to evolve means that they can't move forwards without leaving the past behind. They have to sell new product, and to sell new product they have to start differentiating from old product. If Windows 8 came out with a sticker on the box that said "Same as Windows 7 but now more stable!" it's not going to be doing them any favours.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 11:00:06
    7 sold pretty well on that basis :D
  • Page

of 44 First / Last

Previous