A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 15

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• Alastair 25 Apr 2013 10:51:06 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, the Hairy Bear song... I quite liked it.
  • Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 10:52:50 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Like the normal version but not sure on the end credit one but Ive only heard it the once.
  • Alastair 25 Apr 2013 10:53:59 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Nope. Did read next year is possible for Winds of Winter. He wont have the same issues he had with Feast and Dragons.

I'm relatively new to the GRRM scene - what issues did he have?
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 10:54:43 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In a happy moment of irony, I've a question on the series which I can't ask in the other thread. I haven't seen the last coupla episodes, what was the 'thing and then they cut to credits' that was so awesome?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 25 Apr 2013 10:57:34 59,975 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assume it was when they chopped his hand off.

It went something along the lines of:

Bam
    Argh
    Credits

Either that or Dany razing the slavers and marching away with the army, then credits.

Both have been pretty POW moments.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Shikasama 25 Apr 2013 11:00:03 6,843 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    In a happy moment of irony, I've a question on the series which I can't ask in the other thread. I haven't seen the last coupla episodes, what was the 'thing and then they cut to credits' that was so awesome?
    FUCK OFF TV WANKER

/lolz
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 11:05:22 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was my query in there as well - aren't they way early for the hand chopping, that never happened before the Red Wedding...

• nickthegun 25 Apr 2013 11:06:29 59,975 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not necessarily a concurrent time line, so it doesnt really matter. I think they are just getting all that shit out of the way for the big finale.

• Alastair 25 Apr 2013 11:06:40 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've lost track of the chronology.
    I reckon it must have been Dany getting the Unsullied for free.
  • Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 11:07:29 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Nope. Did read next year is possible for Winds of Winter. He wont have the same issues he had with Feast and Dragons.

I'm relatively new to the GRRM scene - what issues did he have?
    At first it Feast was going to be set 5 years after the events of Storm. Then he realized that he was simply do loads of flash backs so after 12 months of writing he went and re wrote most of it.

Then it was getting so big but that he knew it would have to be 2 books but he didn't want to tell half a story. It was a close friend and who suggested to him that he tell half the characters story in Feast and the other half in Dragon.

He then lost 4 months of writing due to having to go on book signing tours for Feast and then when doing Dragons he had to do a lot of rewrites due to the original story being split in 2.
  • Alastair 25 Apr 2013 11:08:58 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What a palaver!
  • Salaman 25 Apr 2013 11:10:07 19,079 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was Jaime's hand. Bolton (or his man, whatever) is giving him a big speech and then suddenly he chops it off, followed by the credits with a modern day bear song version.
    Or if you downloaded the wrong torrent, the music started in the middle of the speech, so whilst you're bewildered about that, you half miss the chop.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 11:10:43 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dany and the Unsullied I can see as being out of step with the books because of how GRRM split up the third and fourth. But Jaime and the Red Wedding were both on Westeros and his hand comes off a whole book later.

Not that it's a problem, but I was confused by it.

• Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 11:11:58 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    This was my query in there as well - aren't they way early for the hand chopping, that never happened before the Red Wedding...
    It happens before the RW in the books but its done by a minor character not in the show.
  • nickthegun 25 Apr 2013 11:13:26 59,975 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You have to give him something to do, though. They have, presumably, allotted him time per episode to get his story told and it makes sense to do it like this, otherwise there would be vast swathes of 'where the hell is jamie?'

• LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 11:15:31 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, my memory really has gone to shit then :/

• Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 11:16:00 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Dany and the Unsullied I can see as being out of step with the books because of how GRRM split up the third and fourth. But Jaime and the Red Wedding were both on Westeros and his hand comes off a whole book later.

Not that it's a problem, but I was confused by it.
    She gets the Unsullied earlyish in the 3rd book before moving onto Yunkai. I can see her storyline ending after that part in season 3 then off to Meereen in season 4.
  • Shikasama 25 Apr 2013 11:55:27 6,843 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The second series was poorer for Jamie not being in it enough, I'm glad they are running through his tory quick to get him more screen time.

When he returns to Kings Landing and takes over the Kingsguard is one of my favourite parts of the series. The amount of growing up he does ad responsibility he takes was some great character growth.
  • Alastair 25 Apr 2013 11:59:14 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    When he returns to Kings Landing and takes over the Kingsguard is one of my favourite parts of the series. The amount of growing up he does ad responsibility he takes was some great character growth.
    He also seems to go off Cersei somewhat...
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 12:00:45 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She goes off him as well. He's turned into a crippled, compromised half man unsure of himself and his previous actions. She's turned into a snippy, waspish shrew who hates having to depend on him and then hates not being able to depend on him.

• THFourteen 25 Apr 2013 12:02:01 33,472 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Has he finished the story yet?

I still haven't read any since the first two books. I refuse to get drawn into yet another series where you have to wait 5 years for the next book without knowing what happens
    Think I'll just wait. I as much as I enjoy them. At least with Harry potter you knew when the books would be out and you could vaguely remember what happened in the first one by the time you read the latest one.

It will probably take me another four years to finish the wheel of time anyway.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 12:08:27 44,281 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to need to read all these again anyway.

• Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 12:44:26 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    She goes off him as well. He's turned into a crippled, compromised half man unsure of himself and his previous actions. She's turned into a snippy, waspish shrew who hates having to depend on him and then hates not being able to depend on him.
    I love seeing just how much of a nut job she really is in the later books.
  • MrDigital 25 Apr 2013 13:06:26 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's Cersei's last bit in the books?

Is it when she has been paraded naked through the streets? Or does something happen after that?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Alastair 25 Apr 2013 13:08:18 15,790 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:

Is it when she has been paraded naked through the streets? Or does something happen after that?

Her last appearance is when Kevan Lannister goes to see her, post walk of shame. I think he was planning to break the news that he will be sending her back to Casterly Rock, but then he gets called away to see Pycelle.

Edited by Alastair at 13:12:15 25-04-2013
  • MrDigital 25 Apr 2013 13:11:14 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh yeah, I forgot how rotten things turn for the Lannisters by this point in the books. Getting at least as fucked over as the Starks did.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Salaman 25 Apr 2013 13:13:10 19,079 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I tried that. I sped through them the first time around, not paying much attention to the bits that didn't make sense because there were too many characters and so much happening it got confusing. I just wanted the story to unfold further so I ploughed through them at breakneck speed.

I think watched series 1 and 2 and realised I forgot so much from the books (and missed out on quite some smaller details).

I have tried to re-read them prior to season three starting but rather than finding it enlightening, I find it a slog.
    I managed to get to the bit where Robert visits Ned in Winterfell, thinking "yeah, yeah, I know all this get on with it" all the way through.

I don't think I'm going to make it through book 1 really.
  • Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 13:15:43 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    MrDigital wrote:

Her last appearance is when Kevan Lannister goes to see her, post walk of shame. I think he was planning to break the news that he will be sending her back to Casterly Rock, but then he gets called away to see Pycelle.
    Correct. She also now has Robert Strong ready to fight for her
  • Shikasama 25 Apr 2013 13:33:43 6,843 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I tried that. I sped through them the first time around, not paying much attention to the bits that didn't make sense because there were too many characters and so much happening it got confusing. I just wanted the story to unfold further so I ploughed through them at breakneck speed.

I think watched series 1 and 2 and realised I forgot so much from the books (and missed out on quite some smaller details).

I have tried to re-read them prior to season three starting but rather than finding it enlightening, I find it a slog.
    I managed to get to the bit where Robert visits Ned in Winterfell, thinking "yeah, yeah, I know all this get on with it" all the way through.

I don't think I'm going to make it through book 1 really.
    I think you're so impressed with the story and characters the first time round you gloss over the fact that whilst GRRM is good at making stories, he's not the best storyteller.

I think Neil Gaiman is a bit like that too. The story is brilliant but the actually writing isn't always amazing

Edited by Shikasama at 13:34:14 25-04-2013
  • Baihu1983 25 Apr 2013 15:17:14 3,446 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    But that doesn't stop them

fucking next to Joffrey's dead body
  • Page

of 62 First / Last