A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 12

• Page

of 60 First / Last

• Baihu1983 18 Apr 2013 21:04:16 3,278 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It will be on Sky soon enough so ill wait for that.
  • MrDigital 20 Apr 2013 22:18:17 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I loved the ASOIAF books, can anyone recommend any other books to read?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• LeoliansBro 20 Apr 2013 22:43:26 43,227 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Think Ive seen Bean survive 3 films

Troy
    Silent Hill and Cleanskin
    Ronin \o/

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• GrandpaUlrira 20 Apr 2013 22:45:32 3,753 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I recently read some website posts on the R+L theory, and I've got to say my mind was blown. Now so much stuff makes a lot of sense.
  • Ror1984 20 Apr 2013 23:59:47 2,831 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've heard the (very) basics of the theory, and I do quite like it, but I don't really want to read any deeper into it. We'll see how I feel when it's the middle of next year and Winds of Winter is still unreleased...

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Baihu1983 21 Apr 2013 08:48:48 3,278 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My guess is his ''Death'' at the end of Dragons will have been in some way set up by Mel who knows he has royal blood. I actually think that's why they have changed the show a bit with her meeting Beric Dondarrion and finding out how Thoros kept bringing him back to life.

Edited by Baihu1983 at 08:49:49 21-04-2013
  • Deleted user 21 April 2013 10:49:16
    MrDigital wrote:
    I loved the ASOIAF books, can anyone recommend any other books to read?
    Steven Erikksons Malazan Book of The Fallen series.

Fantastically epic and complex and it's actually finished. The first book is a bit iffy but the other nine are amazing.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Apr 2013 10:52:36 6,962 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really like the Prince of Nothing series. It's very dark, kind of a fantasy-esque setting with strong parallels to the Crusades.

Also, Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns. Told in first person, and the main character is a likable cunt in the vein of some SOIAF characters.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:24:46 21-04-2013
  • President_Weasel 21 Apr 2013 11:34:47 8,964 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen series does meander about a lot, everything that happens is fantatically important to the people involved at the time, but there are several books that could frankly have been left out without harming the overarching plot. Come to think of it, that accusation could be levelled at ASOIAF as well, so maybe they are a good choice. I actually liked the first one in the series best; different strokes for different folks.

The Prince of Nothing series is simultaneously really good and a bit too Stephen Donaldson. Everyone's thinking deep thoughts and they're all conflicted and thinking in italics because it's all so important and they're being destroyed by their emotions. Worth a read though.

My own recommendation would be The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands, the first two in a fantasy series by Richard K Morgan (Richard Morgan, who wrote the Takeshi Kovacs SF noir novels, doing a bit of an Ian Banks by adding an initial for his fantasy books). They're pretty dark and brutal and mess with the tenets of epic fantasy a bit, rather like the George R R Martin books.
  • Megapocalypse 21 Apr 2013 13:23:08 5,312 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've enjoyed the Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini. Easy reading and a bit cheesy in places but fun. The first three books are basically Star Wars with dragons. Not finished the final book yet though.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Apr 2013 13:50:16 7,793 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    I've enjoyed the Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini. Easy reading and a bit cheesy in places but fun. The first three books are basically Star Wars with dragons. Not finished the final book yet though.
    The last book is probably the best of the 4.

I enjoyed them but would feel guilty about recommending them.

Read the first two books in Raymond E Feist's Riftwar saga. I thought Magician was very good but Silverthorn was lacking.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Apr 2013 13:55:08 6,962 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Magician is pretty much the only Feist book I thought was a classic. The others have been readable, but nothing special really.
  • TOOTR 22 Apr 2013 20:51:57 9,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Peter V Brett books are very good.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Shikasama 22 Apr 2013 21:30:13 6,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really feel like the most recent episode of the TV series has peaked Daenrys far too early. TV audiences are going to be upset when they find out she literally does nothing else for the rest of the series to date.
  • Salaman 22 Apr 2013 21:32:49 18,863 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My memory is a sieve. How is the TV series starting to diverge from the books? (book/series 3 related & thus book/series 3 spoilers below)

I have a faint sort of recollection of Dany's dragon's coming smack into the middle of some sort of roman style lions versus christians circus maximus deal. Am I getting that mixed up with some other story?

Bran's story seems as I recall. Much ado about a crow with three eyes *yawn*
    Dany sacked Astapor and marches her army of unsullied.
    Arya is with them zombie troupe guys.
    Sansa about to set off with little finger. I didn't remember the proposal from margery that she should marry Loras & go to highgarden.
    Nightwatch getting stabby. I had completely forgotten that. I just remembered Sam ended up with this girl and a baby.

Edited by Salaman at 21:39:40 22-04-2013
  • Ror1984 22 Apr 2013 21:37:04 2,831 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Salaman I haven't seen any of season 3, so I don't really know where it is, but the bit with Dany's dragon (Drogon) you're mentioning happens in Meereen after she marries Hizdahr and reopens the fighting pits.

As for Sansa, Margaery and her grandmother wanted her to marry Loras' older, crippled brother (I can't remember his name). Is it really Loras in the series?

• Salaman 22 Apr 2013 21:38:46 18,863 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should I've spoilered those questions?
    I came over straight from the TV thread for fear of asking something strictly book related there.
    Forgot not everyone might be caught up.
  • Salaman 22 Apr 2013 21:44:27 18,863 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    @Salaman I haven't seen any of season 3, so I don't really know where it is, but the bit with Dany's dragon (Drogon) you're mentioning happens in Meereen after she marries Hizdahr and reopens the fighting pits.

As for Sansa, Margaery and her grandmother wanted her to marry Loras' older, crippled brother (I can't remember his name). Is it really Loras in the series?
    Riiight! Fighting pits! I'm not going senile. Although I forgot the hubby.

I just went back to check I didn't mishear it.
    She definitely said "if you were to marry Loras ... your place would be at Highgarden wouldn't it?
  • Shikasama 22 Apr 2013 21:44:55 6,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A Storm of Swords has been out for 13 years, anyone coming into this thread and complaining about spoilers can climb a wall of dicks.
  • Mr-Brett 22 Apr 2013 21:55:13 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Regarding Sansa: I don't remember any talk of Sansa marrying Loras, she was definitely keen on the idea those. Although if I remember correctly they mentioned marrying a Torell and she got her hopes up about Loras then they said it'd be the other guy, or am I imagining that?

Anyway in the TV show I expect Loras will join the king's guard (possibly after Cersei or Little Finger find out and persuade him) before any betrothal and the story will get back in line with the books

Portable view - Never forget.

• Ror1984 22 Apr 2013 21:57:07 2,831 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Salaman Yeah, it was just before Dany disappears atop Drogon's back and is thought dead by many.

Interesting! I wonder why the change? In the books Sansa is besotted with Loras and assumes it's him the Tyrells want to marry her to, but is disappointed that they meant his brother. Also, I saw someone in the TV thread say it was Loras in Renly's armour in the Battle of the Blackwater (is that season 2?) - was it actually Loras in the series? In the books it was Loras' other older brother (who's name I have also forgotten) as he was bigger and the armour fit him.

EDIT - Or what Mr-Brett said.

@Shikasama I just thought it best to be on the safe side, as with the TV show being popular people are discovering the books now - I myself only read them recently (hence my memory being pretty fresh on it all).

Edited by Ror1984 at 21:58:57 22-04-2013

• Alastair 23 Apr 2013 11:17:57 15,442 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have reached the Epilogue of the final published book, so nearly ready to read through this thread...
    There have been some surprises! Be interesting to read what people have said.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Megapocalypse 23 Apr 2013 11:29:31 5,312 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:

Interesting! I wonder why the change? .
    I imagine a) to avoid introducing another character, and b) to make the impact of what actually happens all the more devastating for Sansa.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 11:45:08 43,227 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As an aside, it makes for great people watching in the TV Show thread because we know what's going to happen pretty much immediately, and nobody has seen it coming.

• Alastair 23 Apr 2013 11:48:05 15,442 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has there been any indication of when we can expect the next book?

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 11:57:04 43,227 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Claimed 2014. Actually never.

• Alastair 23 Apr 2013 11:58:41 15,442 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    :)

Also, has he said how many books are planned?

• President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 12:02:00 8,964 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    :)

Also, has he said how many books are planned?
    Claimed 10.
    Actually three hundred and four, and one of those will be a really detailed description of a dinner party at King's Landing, including all the courses and a chapter on how each one is cooked, and four whole chapters on a kitchen porter and his mild disappointment at how his life has turned out, but how he has quiet pride in his work. Then he gets raped and killed.
  • Maturin 23 Apr 2013 12:10:06 2,889 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's actually seven. Though goodness knows how he's going to tie everything up with just two more books.

The titles for the remaining two books are: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.
  • Page

of 60 First / Last