A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 2

  • Page

    of 61 First / Last

  • yupyup 2 Jun 2011 12:14:37 3,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just read the fourth word.

    Hands Off Our Penises

  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 12:16:59
    Asterix in Britain - Scholarly Edition
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:20:15 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sorry if I've been a dickhead somehow. I can't exactly see what I've done here, but I'm sure it's my fault.
  • Stickman 2 Jun 2011 12:24:55 29,664 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's just that you come across as very pompous recently. Don't know what's changed because you used to be fine, but there's always a hint of "I'm significantly cleverer than you peons" about your posting over the last few months. Not even in a nasty way either, it's just a bit grating is all. I'm not trying to offend, although I realise it will, but just trying to help you see why this might have happened.

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jun 2011 12:25:02 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's just the usual knobery on here Genji.

    I don't think he comes across as pompous. Just a little enthusastic, nothing wrong with that. APART FROM THE SPOILERS! :)

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Tom_Servo 2 Jun 2011 12:25:52 17,410 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    /skims

    Genji wrote:
    I've been a dickhead. I can see what I've done here, it's my fault.

    Nice one, sorted.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:36:57 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I think it's just that you come across as very pompous recently. Don't know what's changed because you used to be fine, but there's always a hint of "I'm significantly cleverer than you peons" about your posting over the last few months. Not even in a nasty way either, it's just a bit grating is all. I'm not trying to offend, although I realise it will, but just trying to help you see why this might have happened.
    If you are seeing this, it is not intentional.

    When I say I have a "scholarly" thing going on, it's because I do. I'm working at a university. I am interested in research and writing and language, and am currently enrolled in post-graduate education. This might mean that my posts are wordier than your average forumite, but that's just the way I write. When I'm enthusiastic about something, I write lots about it. I like it!

    This does not make me superior. In fact, my supervisors are constantly at me for the opposite reason - because I undervalue myself and my writing, resulting in quite a bit of stress on my part. But I do not think that my interests make me better than anyone else.

    But I hardly think it makes me worse than anyone, either. I don't recall ever intentionally looking down on people in this forum - well, in a non-ironic sense. If it sounds like I am, please be assured that I am not intending it that way, and that there are no hidden "I'm better than you" subtexts in there. If anything, I assume that I'm *worse* than you! I'm my own worst critic.

    My main rule here is: don't be a dickhead. I cannot say that I always keep to it, but I really do try.

    And I don't think I should be looked down upon in this thread because I read quickly. I don't preen myself on that ability - hell, it was only brought up because someone *asked me about it*. I don't think the attacks here are at all justified, so I honestly feel a bit put out.

    But anyway, this is probably a bit of a derail. So best get back to the thread topic, no? :)
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:40:37 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, and sometimes (in the other thread) the enthusiasm lead into spoilerey territory. Again, I'm very sorry about that. I can only try to be more careful in the future.

    It's a good thing that this thread is around! :)
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:44:15 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    What a twat
    Aww, I love you too.

    /hugs
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:50:17 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    How far into the book is the TV series now? Page numbers/ Chapter is all I'm after here.

    Thanks



    It's just after the chapter where Ned is betrayed by Littlefinger during his attempted coup. I can't say the exact chapter/page number - I lent the books to a friend a couple of days ago - but I'd say it's about 2/3 of the way through the first book.
  • Lexx87 2 Jun 2011 12:50:20 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "This might mean that my posts are wordier than your average forumite, "

    Genji it's things like that that cause people to have a problem :p

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:52:35 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I'm sorry. I don't know what else I can really do. When I like things, I write a lot about them. Should I just go to another forum or something?
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 12:53:10
    Use MS Word's summarise filter.
  • Lexx87 2 Jun 2011 12:54:13 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mean the fact you use longer words! Lol I mean that you say things like that sentence, not that you perform the action of the sentence.

    It's what makes you come across as pompous, not that you do it the fact that you point out you do it...if that makes sense.

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:54:29 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme, do you ever write a comment that isn't a pithy one-liner?
  • Lexx87 2 Jun 2011 12:55:23 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway Game of Thrones book discussion get back to it :p

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Tom_Servo 2 Jun 2011 12:57:23 17,410 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The thing is, you say "I don't think I'm superior" but also say "my posts are wordier than your average forumite".
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 12:58:04
    No, I make sure that all my comments are one sentence, no more, no less, otherwise something bad would happen to the universe, like an implosion, or maybe an explosion, but either way if it's more than one sentence something bad would happen, maybe not the end of the world that might be an exaggeration, but still bad, like Hitler bad.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:59:19 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I don't mean the fact you use longer words! Lol I mean that you say things like that sentence, not that you perform the action of the sentence.

    It's what makes you come across as pompous, not that you do it the fact that you point out you do it...if that makes sense.
    Ohhhh, right.

    /facepalm

    Yes, well, that wasn't intended as an "I'm better than you" thing either. I was just referring to the length of some of my posts, and that this might put people off. "Longer" doesn't mean "better" than anyone else, though. I'm not judging anyone! But I can see where that might have been misunderstood.

    I guess I need to work on communication a bit more. Apologies.

    Apologies to everyone who I have inadvertently annoyed. I'll try to do better. And thanks for pointing it out in a constructive way. I try do be a decent kind of a bloke on here, but I can always improve!
  • mrpon 2 Jun 2011 13:05:29 28,714 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tuckers Triple Twat Takedown!

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 13:08:00 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pfft, as if that would be enough to finish me.
  • President_Weasel 2 Jun 2011 13:09:22 9,133 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    No, I make sure that all my comments are one sentence, no more, no less, otherwise something bad would happen to the universe, like an implosion, or maybe an explosion, but either way if it's more than one sentence something bad would happen, maybe not the end of the world that might be an exaggeration, but still bad, like Hitler bad.

    You should really have a semicolon before "maybe not the end of the world" and a comma after, it would help your sentence enormously.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 13:10:34
    You should go suck a goose.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 13:11:50 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    No, I make sure that all my comments are one sentence, no more, no less, otherwise something bad would happen to the universe, like an implosion, or maybe an explosion, but either way if it's more than one sentence something bad would happen, maybe not the end of the world that might be an exaggeration, but still bad, like Hitler bad.

    You should really have a semicolon before "maybe not the end of the world" and a comma after, it would help your sentence enormously.
    You should have a full stop after 'after', not a comma.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 13:13:59 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You should put it in the "words you love" thread!
  • Page

    of 61 First / Last

Log in or register to reply