A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 8

• Page

of 61 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 20 Feb 2013 19:35:26 7,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Alastair

Do not read this thread until you have finished the fifth book.

Feel free to post in it but do not read the existing posts.
  • joeymoto108 20 Feb 2013 21:17:23 641 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Alastair 20 Feb 2013 22:15:23 15,569 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch
    Cheers, that's pretty much what I thought. :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• Alastair 20 Feb 2013 22:15:34 15,569 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Double post...

Edited by Alastair at 07:54:52 21-02-2013

Not as nice as I used to be

• Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2013 04:03:20 7,162 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It looks pretty bad, but I'm not 100% certain that Jon Snow is dead. He probably is, but not 100%.

I've never really liked the zombie thing. One of the pleasures of this series is that it has main characters who do stupid things and pay for them with their lives. Resurrecting them sort of cheapens that effect.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:05:26 21-02-2013
  • Tuffty 21 Feb 2013 09:22:58 1,534 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What is going on in Bran's story anyway? Interested to know what role he has in the greater story.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 09:29:36 43,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tuffty: He's dicking around in Treemagic school beyond the wall, growing mushrooms and shit isn't he? Lost in the same pointless, never ending subplot type that claimed his ninja sister.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 09:48:45 43,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In fact, I summarised this whole business a year ago and have seen nothing since to change my mind.

LeoliansBro wrote:
    Really don't click these spoilers unless you've read the books.

He's killed off characters thematically essential to the plot (Rob, Jon Snow, the red viper chap), maintained irrelevant characters (Sansa, Theon/Reek), he's stranded useful characters in their own narrative arc far too large to be successfully resolved (Bran, Arya, Tyrion), he's heavily hinted at peripheral affairs which are never followed up on (that Oldtown business, the Varys/chap who brokered Dany's marriage relationship, the castle made of dragons, the cocking ICE ZOMBIES FFS) he's shown preference for non-events rather than resolution (Melisande's influence not getting her faction anywhere), he's brought in stories which need their own books and otherwise have no place in the narrative (the smuggler, hell even Littlefinger), he's made characters sympathetic when he shouldn't (Lannister Queen's walk of shame) and callous when they shouldn't (Arya's coin list of people to assassinate), and he has a whole fucking menagerie of additional sideplots with a supporting cast of millions, none of which matter, none of which go anywhere and none of which do anything apart from slow the story down further.

In short, fuck it.

• 4gate 21 Feb 2013 22:39:29 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not convinced Jon is any more dead than Theon or Catelyn. Or the deadness of that bloke who just got flame grilled by a dragon having spent half the last book travelling to catch one.

Regardless, all it needs is 2 utterly superb, tightly written books which immediately start to tie up existing threads, don't add any others, and build to a truly stupendous climax. I'm sure that's what's going to happen.
  • disusedgenius 21 Feb 2013 23:06:24 5,271 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just want to find out what the fuck Rickon's been up to. :(
  • Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2013 23:26:30 12,748 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Thread of Mystery and Spoiler Tags.

Portable view - Never forget.

• President_Weasel 21 Feb 2013 23:33:17 9,142 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jon Snow's basically the Julius Caesar plot. He tried to change Rome and bring in Gaulish senators, and the establishment stabbed him. Jon Snow tried to change the watch and bring in Wildlings, and the establishment stabbed him for it. No need for magic to make them do it, just fear of change.
    I figure the red lady will just Beric Dondarion him back to life though, it doesn't seem to screw people up unless it happens a lot or unless you've been dead too long.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Feb 2013 07:27:13 7,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I just want to find out what the fuck Rickon's been up to. :(
    I have been wondering that too.

Might even get his own chapters.
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Feb 2013 13:30:11 39,412 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When is the cunt releasing Winds of winter?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• President_Weasel 22 Feb 2013 13:53:29 9,142 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The crying thing actually fits with the Caesar story: some of his assassins, such as Brutus, were supposedly weeping when they did it
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2013 14:00:55 7,162 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think he's writing pilots for new HBO series or something. It's not like he has anything else to do.
  • Humperfunk 22 Feb 2013 14:06:13 2,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GameOverYeah wrote:
    Lastly his friends weeping and apologising to Jon as they were stabbing him. Sure he had completely broken his oath. But to murder him in the way they did would have to be out of sheer outrage. So why are they weeping and apologetic during the murder and not after. [\spoiler]
    One theory is that the prophecy of"Azor Ahai will be reborn admidst smoke and salt", and that Stannis isn't Azor Ahai at all but that Jon will be reborn as him. His wounds smoke when he's stabbed, and Bowen Marsh is crying (i.e. the salt)

Probably a load of old shit but I think it's quite likely that this is where it's going...

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• mcmonkeyplc 22 Feb 2013 14:07:16 39,412 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When do the Romulans attack?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2013 14:09:40 7,162 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apparently he told the ending to the writers of the TV show, so there might be closure there if the books don't get finished for some reason.
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 14:11:30 59,367 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    GameOverYeah wrote:
    Lastly his friends weeping and apologising to Jon as they were stabbing him. Sure he had completely broken his oath. But to murder him in the way they did would have to be out of sheer outrage. So why are they weeping and apologetic during the murder and not after. [\spoiler]
    One theory is that the prophecy of"Azor Ahai will be reborn admidst smoke and salt", and that Stannis isn't Azor Ahai at all but that Jon will be reborn as him. His wounds smoke when he's stabbed, and Bowen Marsh is crying (i.e. the salt)

Probably a load of old shit but I think it's quite likely that this is where it's going...
    Given the fact that there is absolutely no chance in hell the book would contain anything as straightforward as Stannis being who he is purported to be, I'd say thats quite likely.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• disusedgenius 22 Feb 2013 14:30:28 5,271 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've read another Jon theory which goes along the lines of: he isn't Neds bastard after all but is actually Neds sister's kid he promised to protect, making him part Targaryan and tieing him into the main arc. But, y' know, the Internet thinks a lot of things. ..
  • Humperfunk 22 Feb 2013 14:32:29 2,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @nickthegun I agree Nicholas, I agree.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 14:38:15 59,367 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with Jon is a Targaryan is the well established hair genetics of westeros.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 22 Feb 2013 14:39:20 43,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We know his mother was if we believe Ned though.

Edit: actually no nick, that's not a problem: The theory is that he's Rhaegar's child by Lyanna, so he could very easily look like a Stark. We don't really know what happened with the whole abduction thing, she took off with Rhaegar, his mad dad killed Ned's father and brother, everything went to shit from there.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:41:02 22-02-2013

• Tricky 22 Feb 2013 14:40:47 4,371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I touted the same theory that Humperfunk's mentioning back on page 5 of this thread. I can't remember all the clues but there were a couple of things that made me think that whilst reading the last book.
  • Deleted user 22 February 2013 14:41:07
    If anyone is interesed; GRRM has released a couple of preview chapters from the next book for Arianne (which was just put up recently).

The Theon chapter might clear up a point that was made on this page. I haven't read the Arianne one yet so no idea if it's any good.
  • disusedgenius 22 Feb 2013 14:43:11 5,271 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not that I'm sold on the theory, but the hair thing could be down to him not being a pure-bred and the Ned lying thing has been framed as a 'lesser of two evils' type of affair. I agree though, seems a bit too wish-listy to me.
  • Page

of 61 First / Last