Uncharted: Golden Abyss Page 10

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 31 Mar 2012 07:18:43 10,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hard isn't actually too bad. I rarely play games on anything other than normal, but have completed all 4 Uncharted games on Hard. No urge to replay on Crushing, though...
  • Gregolution 31 Mar 2012 07:24:49 3,175 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    dont know why people play on these hard/crushing modes. Just play the game as its meant to be played rather than going through bags of frustrating gameplay.
    The crushing playthrough of uncharted is the most fun! I usually do all all the collectives and everything else first so I can just sit back and enjoy crushing
  • santashi 31 Mar 2012 11:21:16 5,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the QTE tips guys. I didn't have a problem with them at all on hard, but those curves on crushing-arg! I was leaning the Vita on the bed so maybe next time I'll try it on a table like you suggested as that might have been the problem. I do also feel that I'm going to give the screen some sort of friction burn with some of the speed swipes. ;)

ibenam wrote:
    dont know why people play on these hard/crushing modes. Just play the game as its meant to be played rather than going through bags of frustrating gameplay.
    I didn't find hard bad at all, to be honest. I've played the other three Uncharted games so I figured I should be able to have a crack at it first time round instead of starting on normal as I had with the other games and it turned out way better than I thought.

Crushing feels more like a challenge mode for the most part, especially with the length of the chapters. It makes sense that it's unlocked after your first play through since you know the layout and can work out efficient strategies.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• CharlieStCloud 12 Apr 2012 16:24:59 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is a lovely, lovely game!

Finally completed it yesterday evening and I have to say, while the set-pieces are not quite as spectacular and grandiose as their 'big brother' console parts, it still manages to convey a 'PlayStation 3 in your hands' feeling rather impressively.

I must say, the vegetation acting as an invisible wall made the adventure feel a lot more corridor-ish and makes the environment look slightly misleadingly vaster than it really is. I also warmly welcomed the first chapter as being purely exploration with very few enemies, which unfortunately cannot be said for the last third of the journey as they seem to appear out of nowhere in waves like an arcade game.

The visuals, at the best of times were so good, I just stopped moving Drake and moved the camera around to take it all in. The developers got the locations spot-on as far as I am concerned and feels like a prequel to the original Uncharted, which it kind of is, isn't it...?

May go through it again on 'hard' on a rainy Sunday.

Oh, has anyone picked-up all the treasure and mysteries on the way? I think I did quite well (on my first run through) and was greeted to a few trophy pop-ups for collecting a group of artefacts early on.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 16:34:59 12-04-2012
  • Flying_Pig 12 Apr 2012 23:11:33 10,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I managed to get a few treasures but it's something I need to play trough again focussing on getting them all (I found the 79p map you can download to be helpful, but not make the whole thing too easy)

I agree that this feels like an Uncharted: Drake's Fortune prequel (which it is, I think) and is actually a genuinely excellent game.
  • jagg3r 13 Apr 2012 21:27:53 1,031 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a quick go of this earlier, is everyone using the auto aim? The camera sensitivity is spot on but the gun play feels shite, the dead zone is wrong or something,feels sluggish and heavy, compared to unit 13 its very poor
  • Flying_Pig 13 Apr 2012 22:05:37 10,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I upped the sensitivity. It helped.

Oh and I didn't use auto-aim. It's disabled on hard
  • santashi 13 Apr 2012 22:09:52 5,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Oh and I didn't use auto-aim. It's disabled on hard
    I'm so glad you said that! I thought I must be mad not to remember there being an auto aim. :p

• dominalien 14 Apr 2012 00:24:18 6,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jagg3r wrote:
    Had a quick go of this earlier, is everyone using the auto aim? The camera sensitivity is spot on but the gun play feels shite, the dead zone is wrong or something,feels sluggish and heavy, compared to unit 13 its very poor
    Motion control aiming is the way to go. Best way to aim ever. I think it's disabled by default?

PSN: DonOsito

• Kay 14 Apr 2012 19:53:17 17,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Up to chapter five on this, and I have to be really harsh and say this game encapsulates almost everything that I hate about modern games. Everything is so clearly signposted - you're shown exactly where to jump, you'll know exactly when there'll be a big shootout (thanks to conveniently placed boxes/rocks and other cover spots), and you'll know exactly where a cut-scene will be triggered. When you hang up on a ledge, there's no timer, or meter - you can hang there forever. No sense of tension, or satisfaction at navigating, whatsoever.

It's basically just cut-scene, shootout, a bit of "platforming" that requires no actual skills whatsoever, all interspersed with the odd bit of touch-screen bollocks (what's up with having to 100% every dusty artifact or charcoal drawing before being allowed to continue?).

I guess it's enjoyable enough though, as an action movie that happens to have some gamey bits in there. And it's not as if I was expecting anything more from the game. It's just frustrating seeing the potential of the setting, characters and theme being wasted on such a watered-down gaming experience.
  • heavy_salad 14 Apr 2012 20:03:23 721 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I guess it's enjoyable enough though, as an action movie that happens to have some gamey bits in there.
    That's what Uncharted has always been hasn't it?
  • jonsaan 14 Apr 2012 21:36:29 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact that its by the same team that did the psp resistance game put me off in the first place. That was real gaming by numbers bollocks.

FCUTA!

• Kay 14 Apr 2012 22:08:50 17,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Syphon Filter PSP games were ace though. At least, the first one was, never played the second one. From what I played of the Resistance demo it was just an all-out shooter, which didn't work as well on the PSP.

heavy_salad wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    I guess it's enjoyable enough though, as an action movie that happens to have some gamey bits in there.
    That's what Uncharted has always been hasn't it?
    Yep, but this is my first UC game. Like I said though, I sort of knew what to expect, but still disappointed. I'm guessing the series is mainly popular for its set-pieces, and so the PS3 games would be much more impressive in that respect.
  • jonsaan 14 Apr 2012 22:13:58 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncharted two is a great gaming experience.

FCUTA!

• dsmx 14 Apr 2012 22:15:56 7,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uncharted 2, sit back, don't think to much and just enjoy the ride just like every great 80's action film.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• heavy_salad 14 Apr 2012 23:48:00 721 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:

Yep, but this is my first UC game. Like I said though, I sort of knew what to expect, but still disappointed. I'm guessing the series is mainly popular for its set-pieces, and so the PS3 games would be much more impressive in that respect.
    Ah, yes. It's like a mini-version of the PS3 games IMO. It does a decent job of replicating UC2/3 but it obviously lacks the set pieces. I think it somewhat made up for it with better puzzles, but essentially Uncharted is the video games equivalent of a popcorn flick and it needs the set pieces - without them it's a little flat, and the gameplay feels a bit 'by the numbers'.

Edited by heavy_salad at 23:48:49 14-04-2012
  • Kay 15 Apr 2012 00:34:01 17,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was also about to criticise the frame-rate for being a bit shit (even in cut-scenes), when I decided to try quitting the game completely, closing all apps, and reloading again. Much, much better now - it seems keeping a game open in the background all the time might not be ideal.

Just a shame that quitting to the main menu restarts the whole chapter, it would be nice if it let you continue from the last checkpoint.
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2012 12:38:38 6,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Just a shame that quitting to the main menu restarts the whole chapter, it would be nice if it let you continue from the last checkpoint.
    That's not true, though. Your checkpoint is saved and you continue from where you left off.

• Deleted user 28 April 2012 09:56:49
    Completed it this morning. Good game almost completely ruined by awful, awful fight scenes at the end. Seriously, that shit shouldn't have ever made it into the game.
  • dominalien 28 Apr 2012 10:04:19 6,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gagree.

Edit: although I'm sure the touch fighting is there because there was pressure (real or imagined) to implement as many of the Vita's control types as possible.

Edited by dominalien at 10:05:31 28-04-2012

• Progguitarist 30 Apr 2012 14:58:35 10,421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great game. Finished it last night and thought it was on par with the console experience for the most part.
  • jagg3r 30 Apr 2012 17:24:31 1,031 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Great game. Finished it last night and thought it was on par with the console experience for the most part.
    For a handheld it is a good game but the vita is suppose to be next generation handheld, presumably on par with consoles which i felt its nowhere near on this game. Uc2 for me is one of gamings greats, but unfortunately im finding golden abyss a slog, borefest at best. I've lost count of the amount of walls i had to push through and the same dull scenery. Im enjoying it for what it is(and there is nothing else to play at present)but its not worth the price tag and only about 6/10 imo. I honestly dont understand the reviews its getting. Vita games are overpriced(dungeon hunter just takes the piss) and sony needs to make them more reasonably priced. Sony have dropped the ball with the vita and they really need to get there act together quick. There is plenty of psn titles that should be released for vita while were waiting for games to be released. As for ps1 games, i didn't buy a next gen handheld to play games from ten years ago. Comon Sony.
  • dsmx 30 Apr 2012 17:42:18 7,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't it a bit unfair comparing a launch title to Uncharted 2 or 3, surely it would be better and fairer comparing it to the first uncharted?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Syrette 30 Apr 2012 18:13:18 43,355 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Completed it this morning. Good game almost completely ruined by awful, awful fight scenes at the end. Seriously, that shit shouldn't have ever made it into the game.
    Really? Those two 3-4 minute fights (or a few minutes more if you have to restart) are enough to almost ruin a game that has lasted you for hours?

Come on now...

I actually found myself wishing I was playing this on a larger screen during my playthrough. There's a bunch of nice little details that weren't always immediately apparent. Stuff like birds flying. Some of the vistas were just stunning to look at.

edit; the characterisation was outstanding too, better than most home console titles

Edited by Syrette at 18:20:14 30-04-2012

• santashi 30 Apr 2012 19:06:32 5,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I spent a lot of the outdoorsy parts trying to get a better view of the landscape. Seriously pretty game.

I didn't find the touch screen fights annoying until crushing but at least that's optional. :)

• jonsaan 1 May 2012 07:55:37 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am enjoying this but the early levels put me in mind of modern day Dragon's lair. I can't shake the feeling that once I finsh this I might never play it again.

I find the pick this up and examine it bits really terrible and the whole game is way too handholdy so far.

What do you chaps do about the aiming sensitivity? I just can't seem to find a good place.

FCUTA!

• mrpon 1 May 2012 08:41:52 28,781 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I completely forgot it has gyroscopic aiming, is that causing you to wobble a bit?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• jonsaan 1 May 2012 16:21:34 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I have expermineted with a few types. I have settled on turning the gyro off. I just find the stick causes me to flail wildly about in the heat of the moment. I have auto aim off. maybe I should turn it on?

FCUTA!

• santashi 1 May 2012 16:26:47 5,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I found the gyro+stick quite weird at first but I did get used to it after a while and now find not having gyro control odd. I've never used auto aim so I can't really comment on that. You can get it on normal mode, I think? I want to see what it's like now.

• Flying_Pig 1 May 2012 17:29:15 10,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never used auto aim. I think I turned the sensitivity down a but. Worked for me :)
  • Page

of 13 First / Last