ARMA 3 Page 11

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2013 16:07:14 16,516 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Worth noting you can switch to the beta version of the alpha (!), so you can try the newer broken things earlier. Bohemia do love to patch :)
    Or not, as the Alpha Release Build has just been updated to match the Alpha Development Build (Steam Beta).

I'd suggest staying with the Release version as all the missions I have tried have been built in that. The new release version has had some class names changed. The Ifrits all had 'Galkin' in their class name, it has now been changed to 'Ifrit'. So any mission with an Ifrit will no longer load.

You can fix this by unpacking the mission PBO file (Search for Kegety's Tools), and then doing a Find and Replace in the mission.sqm and any other script that uses the reference. Then you can either re-PBO or load it in the editor and re-export.

The other class name changes are to do with the naming of OpFor clothing. Any mission directly referencing the class will need fixing. Most magic-box and paper-doll scripts will still work as they build their object arrays by crawling through the class trees. It means that they grab every child class on each branch they call and makes them future-proof. Fine for big dynamic missions, but not good for crafting small balanced affairs.

I've already fixed my mission:

SP-CO5_Gone_in_40-v0_2_1.Stratis.zip

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2013 16:12:25 16,516 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    I've been playing on a mini wireless keyboard that came with my iMac but think I need to go to a full size keyboard for this as I'm missing some of the view keyboard shortcuts, it not having a num-pad.

Are specific gaming keyboards worth the extra money or should I just get a bog standard Microsoft jobbie?
    You might be better off with a separate USB numpad. Every time I need to use the numpad I have to move my right hand off the mouse or my left hand off WASD and move it over to the numpad. Having the numpad next to WASD might be a better option.

• Immaterial 26 Mar 2013 11:40:57 1,260 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks to @monkehhh for the key- finally gave the alpha light a whirl last night. Absolutely excellent for an alpha, although there are far too many key combos even for infantry for an eedjut like me. I've not tried the 'flying' showcase yet, as most things I get into crash.

20 notes on their way to BiS right now.
    edit: is it 'best' to buy via Steam or direct from BiS?

Edited by Immaterial at 11:42:31 26-03-2013

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• urban 26 Mar 2013 12:14:46 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried to buy direct from BiS and it sent me straight to steam...

There is no 'Best' They appear to be properly backed by Valve on this, a good partnership has been struck.
  • orpheus 26 Mar 2013 21:03:07 984 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really hope they take this opportunity to make the editor a bit more friendly. I'd give anything to have basic shit like tasks, briefings, loadouts and such to be modules that you can sync, rather than having to code or create .sqf files yourself.

I'd make fucking hundreds of missions if they did that. As it stands now, I've forgotten most of it, and I'm remembering how long it took me to learn basic shit like the above and thinking that I really can't be arsed to go through all that again.
  • Tiger_Walts 29 Mar 2013 19:34:23 16,516 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To shorten the development time on mission creation, the F3 Mission Framework is one option.

There's still a lot of work required but it's got a lot of stuff pre-configured or in template form waiting to be amended.

• orpheus 30 Mar 2013 19:02:24 984 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    To shorten the development time on mission creation, the F3 Mission Framework is one option.

There's still a lot of work required but it's got a lot of stuff pre-configured or in template form waiting to be amended.
    Stuff like that is pretty helpful, nice find. I do wish though that this stuff was integrated properly into the editor via modules etc. People who want to code the complex stuff should be able to do so, but there should be a feature set designed for 'lite' use, something to take care of the basics for users who aren't willing to dive so deep.

Modules for tasks, briefings and simple but frequently used stuff like heli insertions, halo drops and the like would make such a massive difference, especially with the thousands of new, relatively inexperienced players coming to the game after DayZ. The existing modules like support etc are great, just wish they could expand them more!

I'd be tempted to make a feedback thread over on the A3 forums if I didn't think it was just a pipedream.

Edited by orpheus at 19:03:06 30-03-2013
  • andytheadequate 2 Apr 2013 16:54:56 7,953 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had a go at the alpha lite. Managed to complete the first mission by just following the AI around, I think I only shot about 3 people...

Is there a way to aim down the sight? When I pressed rmb it just zoomed the crosshair in a little bit...
  • urban 2 Apr 2013 17:30:13 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Click RMB does iron sights, Hold RMB zooms in on the crosshair.
  • El_MUERkO 2 Apr 2013 18:14:48 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Click RMB does iron sights, Hold RMB zooms in on the crosshair.
    By default RMB when looking down a sight Zooms and Holds breathe, I'd advise remapping Hold Breath to another mouse key to stop shake.
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Apr 2013 18:22:35 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    still got 2 beta keys to give away pm me

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• El_MUERkO 19 Apr 2013 00:13:12 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got the All in ARMA mod working, been mucking about in Takistan.
    ARMA2

ARMA3
  • BillMurray 19 Apr 2013 00:20:20 7,235 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EG night in the not too distant future?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 23 Apr 2013 11:27:19 12,734 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks amazing, can't wait for this game to be released. Keep testing people! Know that your work makes my game more fun :-D
  • magicpanda 23 Apr 2013 11:30:25 13,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @El_MUERkO How does the original Island work out?
  • Rusty_M 23 Apr 2013 12:24:52 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    EG night in the not too distant future?
    Yes please!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• INSOMANiAC 23 Apr 2013 13:42:27 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    still got two beta key up fro grabs for this if anyone wants one

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 23 Apr 2013 13:42:28 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    still got two beta key up fro grabs for this if anyone wants one

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• El_MUERkO 23 Apr 2013 22:06:59 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @magicpanda

They look really nice but the lighting isn't working correctly for some vegitation, a development build of ARMA3 has tweaked lighting that is supposed to work much better, as ARMA3 changes so to will the performance of ARMA2 content.
  • Immaterial 1 May 2013 17:03:53 1,260 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely loving the MP COOP on this now that the dev build seems to have gotten rid of the script kiddy attacks. Nothing like sharing a nice long dangerous walk in the woods letting off inappropriate smoke grenades after your heli pilot has accidently ejected again.

Seem to be spending most of my time online on the Ahoy World EU server, which is running a dynamically scripted domination mission.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• magicpanda 8 May 2013 13:13:20 13,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @orpheus

Been playing around the Arma 3 Editor a lot. Tasks and Briefings are now Modules which is awesome and there are loads of new Modules which make populating maps a piece of piss :)

Check out this guys videos

I've just finished off a Single player mission myself.

Pete The Meat. It's a relatively simple assassination mission using an 8 man team with Mortar Support and Heli Extraction.

Only completed it once myself with 2 men left at the end so I may have made it a bit too difficult. :)

I really want to know how to make it MP compatible as it would be perfect for it as the AI drivers are utter bellends.

Edit, here is the editor version. Shows all the new modules.

Editor Version

Edited by magicpanda at 13:18:37 08-05-2013
  • orpheus 8 May 2013 17:44:23 984 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @magicpanda

Oooh, colour me interested. Just having tasks & briefings as easy-use modules is a huge step in the right direction. Cheers for letting me know!

I'll download your mission and give it a look. Could be the prod I need to get back into mission making. I've not played the alpha for a few weeks now and there have been a couple of patches I think.

Being an outfit leader in planetside2 is eating a lot of my gaming time lately, but I'm still up for resurrecting the sunday night arma slot. I've got my squad-leading down to a fine art thanks to planetside and it would be nice to hook up with the old arma crew again.

Any of you who've not played planetside are welcome to join my outfit by the way - we do strong tactical gameplay (often working with allied leaders in larger platoons) pretty much every night. :)
  • BillMurray 8 May 2013 19:10:31 7,235 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm gonna give that mission a crack this evening I reckon.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 11 May 2013 18:50:03 12,734 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The screenshots from the Arma 3 photo competition look amazing: http://www.arma3.com/news/2013-world-arma-photo-winners#.UY6EnStATwM
  • urban 11 May 2013 19:35:04 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jesus! You're not wrong!
  • monkehhh 11 May 2013 20:37:55 3,125 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been piloting helis with my 360 pad.. think I need a new graphics card, and a proper control system, and a Track IR..
  • Rusty_M 11 May 2013 21:24:00 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TrackIR is great in ArmA, and anything else that supports it. Pricey though.

Not as pricey as a "proper control system" can be though.

Edited by Rusty_M at 21:24:32 11-05-2013

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• urban 11 May 2013 22:39:57 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mission recommendations...go
  • BillMurray 12 May 2013 12:38:54 7,235 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Been piloting helis with my 360 pad.. think I need a new graphics card, and a proper control system, and a Track IR..
    How did you get on with using mouse and keyboard for flight controls?
  • monkehhh 12 May 2013 13:01:44 3,125 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not too bad, then I just lose control and plough in to the ground. I find I can stay flying a lot longer using a pad.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last